The cloth covering the taoist altar is traditionally yellow, to symbolize Earth. You basically want to replicate the triple realm setting -- heaven, earth, humanity -- so your altar is the yellow square, your deities are raised above its level (ideally above your head too) to their geometrically correct celestial position, and you yourself, when performing the ceremony, are the stand-off for humanity in the middle.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

I didn't want to start another thread for questions I may have about setting up an altar.

Question about the lights:

Currently I have two red glass tea light holders with red tea lights in them to the left and right of the offering bowls. I have a number of small brass oil lamps shaped like a chalice I can use with a cotton wick and oil, or put a tea light inside. Out of curiosity, can I use them either as oil lamps on the altar or use them to hold the red tea light candles, or neither? There's nothing wrong with the red glass holders, and I know this may be silly but I'm curious. :unsure:

• Like 1

All I've come across was using candles preferably in red holders. I haven't seen anything regarding oil lamps. But please realize that I'm new to setting up altars. I hope this helps my friend.

Thanks. I use the brass oil lamps for my Hindu altar, so I was thinking of "consistency". The cotton wick and oil (ghee is traditionally used) is said to have some mystical properties particularly attractive to the devas. Who knows.

• Like 1

Today's entry in 365 Tao :

ALTAR

Each day I forge my body into steel
And fold in bright strands of consciousness.
Piling up ripe fruit and fragrant flowers,
Lighting red candles and incense,
Serving tea, rice, and wine.
Anointing with aromatic oils,
Offering heart and bones,
The altar is my anvil, sun and moon the coals,
Discipline the hammer, lungs the bellows.

Followers of Tao have private altars in their homes. The pious see
an altar only for supplication; the skeptical see the altar as false and
insincere. Actually, devotional effort is absolutely necessary for those
beginning on the path.

True spiritual cultivation begins with the premise that you already
have a pure spirit and only need to clear away obfuscations. Thus one
must work on both the physical and mental levels in order to achieve the
quickest results. Such varied efforts need a strong center. By focusing
on the altar as the platform for all practices, you will keep yourself
strongly on your path. The outward acts then pile up like offerings
after offerings, and the outward votive furniture becomes your means of
memorializing your efforts. Then your body itself becomes a steel altar,
an unshakable monument to spiritual devotion.

• Like 1

I'm considering making a home Taoist altar, but after doing a thorough internet search, I can't find out much information about what to use and then how to use it (chants, etc.).

If anyone knows about these things I'd appreciate any information that you may have.

Thanks in advance :)

http://bookstore.qigongmedicine.com/product/magical-tools-and-the-daoist-altar-final-edition-2/

• Like 1

Wonder what happened to the altar and what's the experience after five years of having an altar. Or have someone else had a similar experience both in having an altar and making a distinction of religion and philosophy in Daoism??