Another pearl comes out of ChiDragon's favorite sack of pearl barley.

ย 

ย 

Dump him into the ignore bin.

Blissful place where he can cast pearls without any aggravation

Dump him into the ignore bin.

Blissful place where he can cast pearls without any aggravation

ย 

I'm sure that you are waiting for me over there.......... :D :D :D

ย 

"Ignore" means not even cast any disparaging remarks for any aggravation.

Edited by ChiDragon

My altar in the past will always have the gift to me from my Taoist Immortal I met on a rain swept road in Taiwan.

Fragments of earlier memories of Taiwan

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/111670.html

ย 

4386045089_03833efd5b.jpg

ย 

And an incense burner.

ย 

That altar good for when I got off the right side of bed and becoming a religious Taoist or if I got off the other side and becoming a philosophical Taoist for the day. Like the YingYang, very changeable for me.

ย 

That ended , together with taijichuan, with the entry of Tinkerbell into my life.

Incense smoke not good for her so no more incense. Cigge smoke probably a lot worse but could not shake that addiction then.

ย 

Milofor altar became the red silk bag that kept him and into my backpack.

ย 

Idiotic Taoist

i like the idea of beginning with some basic qigong

ย 

I swear I saw another post from you before. It contained your remark about my being scary of red candles. Your post disappeared. What happened? I had planned on responding after worship at my Daoist altar with a friend.

ย 

The reason why I find red candles scary is because I associate them with the ugly statues of deities at the Chinese Daoist altars. Also, those altars are generally unkempt and laded with ashes. Chinese horror movies also show those altars with the red candles when Chinese vampires come hopping about in the night.

set up an altar in your heart

meditate

learn a moving practice

ย 

Worship at an altar in one's heart is still counted as philosophizing, a mental process. Taomeow said religious worship has to be emperical and experienced at the physical level ... like sex.

Edited by sree

Worship at an altar in one's heart is still counted as philosophizing, a mental process. Taomeow said religious worship has to be emperical and experienced at the physical level ... like sex.

ย 

Just for the record, I didn't say that. Not that I disagree. :)

Don't disagree with an altar in your heart proposed by Mythmaker either. Or with Sree's plan to worship beauty, art, music, friendship.

ย 

Altar-making comes naturally to some people -- I never realized that I was always making them until some book or other pointed it out. As a kid, I would put together a handful of pebbles that I found interesting, and later a small collection of minerals, and treat them as sacred objects -- the minerals were emotionally charged too, I got them one by one from my dad when he returned from his frequent and sometimes long business trips, the minerals were from the Ural mountains and there's folk legends and fairy tales about guardians of treasures living there... the Lady of the Copper Mountain, the Silver Hoof... but I digress. It wasn't unusual for me, at the age of 4, to bury a dead butterfly together with fresh flowers (to provide nourishment in the underworld!) or to decide that my grandmother's cat (who was older and much wiser than me) was only disguised as a cat and transformed into her extraordinary incarnations whenever she left for the night. (I still believe it.) Favorite books, paintings, music, poetry -- anything could turn sacred on me. :D

ย 

None of it was taoism though. With taoist practices, I try to keep it pretty orthodox, with as little innovation as possible. This is in line with my overall understanding of the nature of reality -- to wit, that one has to look as far back as she can for to see what's real. I'm not easily impressed by advanced cultivation of the artificial. Nature impresses me, people who follow nature impress me... but those who try to lead her instead of follow... not so much, to say the least. Sorry for the ramblings.

• Like 3

NewDaoist: Brock Silvers' book "The Taoist Manual" contains extensive and detailed instructions and commentary on the preparation for, building of, and maintenance of a Daoist altar. It also speaks to the choice of deities. The book is well-illustrated and contains much other information that you may find useful as your affinity for this aspect of Daoism develops. Edit: even better, it is a light, enjoyable, welcoming read, in case you don't like heavy academic stuff. If you don't want to buy it, I'm sure you can use interlibrary loan.

ย 

Word to the wise: never listen to ChiDragon when he enters conversations on these kinds of topics. His hobby of making up nonsense that has little to do with the reality of the Daoist religion and then passing it off as fact borders on the pathological.

Edited by Walker
  • Like 3

Would love to have Brock Silvers' book "The Taoist Manual", but at $90 US it's too expensive for me. I'll check into an inter-library loan. Thanks for the suggestion.

Edited by newTaoist

ILL usually costs about $5, last I used it Stateside, anyway. Well worth it for this book, as Silvers wrote it precisely to address the questions of someone in your shoes, and does so admirably. I'll add that its instructions closely mirror those I have received elsewhere from a Daoist teacher. I believe the book can be trusted, although, as the corpus of Daoist knowledge is truly vast, it can of course not be seen as comprehensive. For the purposes of a home altar, however, it is a solid start.

Edited by Walker

If it was $5 I'd grab it right away. The $90 US cost is a used book from Amazon. I did a search for other sources and nothing comes up. Unless you know of a source I'll have to wait for a possible inter-library loan. Just to make sure I'm looking at the same book: The Taoist Manual: An Illustrated Guide Applying Taoism to Daily Life?

Edited by newTaoist

I'm considering making a home Taoist altar, but after doing a thorough internet search, I can't find out much information about what to use and then how to use it (chants, etc.).

ย 

If anyone knows about these things I'd appreciate any information that you may have.

ย 

Thanks in advance :)

ย 

Here is a basic arrangement of the typical Taoist altar of the Hsien-tโ€™ien Tao and affiliated sects. It's from Eva Wongโ€™s book on Taoism, right at the end: pages 235 -237. She's an internal alchemist from what I can remember.

ย 

---------

ย 

ย 

At the centre of Taoist ceremony is the altar. The altar is an image of the Tao and the spiritual centre of a sacred space. Although the arrangement of the altar varies among Taoist sects, and different rituals call for special arrangements of ceremonial objects, the significance and symbolism of the objects on the altar are the same.

ย 

โ€ฆ

ย 

A sacred lamp: this is the light of wisdom. It is also the golden pill or elixir of immortality. The lamp is usually placed in the centre of the altar in front of the patron deity of the temple or the deity being honoured in the ceremony. The lamp symbolises the original spirit, which is the light of the Tao within. It is never extinguished.

ย 

Two candles: to the left and right of the sacred lamp are two tall candles. They represent the light of the sun and the moon in nature and the two eyes in the human body. The sun and moon are emanations of the light of the Tao, and the eyes are windows to the mind. If the mind is not tainted by dust, original nature will be bright; the light of the Tao will shine within, and the eyes will not be covered by the dust of the mundane world.

ย 

Tea, rice, and Water: directly in front of the sacred lamp are three cups. The cup in the centre holds grains of uncooked rice; the cup to the left contains water; the cup to the right contains tea. Tea symbolises yin, or female generative, energy; water symbolises Yang, or male generative, energy. Rice symbolises the union of these two energies, because it receives the Yang energy of the sun and absorbs the yin energy of earth.

ย 

Five plates of fruit: the five fruits represent the five elements: wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. Each element is associated with a colour. Wood is green, fire is red, earth is yellow, metal is white, and water is black.

ย 

โ€ฆ

ย 

An incense burner: the incense burner is typically placed in the centre of the altar in front of the five plates of fruit. This is the stove, or the lower tan-tโ€™ien, where internal heat is generated to purify and refine the generative, vital, and spirit energy. The three energies are symbolised by three sticks of incense. The burning of the incense symbolises the refinement and purification of the internal energies. The rising smoke and falling ash also symbolises separation of pure energy from mundane energy.

ย 

โ€ฆ

ย 

On the altar, the sacred lamp, which is the symbol of original nature, is closest to the deity. Arranged progressively away from the deity are the two candles, the tea, rice, and water, the fruit, and finally the incense burner. This arrangement shows that the entrance to the Tao begins with purifying the three internal energies, reconnecting the body with sky and earth; when the energies are refined they are gathered in the five viscera to nourish the body, a process represented by the five plates of fruit; as spiritual development continues, the Yin and Yang energies copulate -- represented by the cups of tea, rice, and water; when the original spirit emerges, the Tao shines within and a golden light hovers around the eyes -- represented by the two candles. Finally, the original spirit, symbolised by the sacred lamp, is cultivated to return to the void and merge with the Tao -- the deity in the icon.

• Like 1

No worries :D

ย 

It might give you some ideas for a home altar. Whenever I've made a little altar, it's usually been with a few favourite stones of mine, feathers I've found, leaves and twigs from favourite trees, maybe a picture of a deity I'm interested in/working with etc but this, of course, wasn't a formal Taoist altar.

ย 

The interlibrary loan is a good solution but, if it's anything like over here, bear in mind you can't renew it. I got a book the other week and could only keep it for about two or three weeks.

Edited by Reed
  • Like 1

An altar is the outer expression of one's inner mandala, or mental universe.

ย 

It is a reflection and also a statement of one's affiliations with the spiritual dimension.

ย 

As you transit from philosophical to religious, the continual refinement of the planned altar would give you a good visual feel as to your progress.

ย 

This process of refinement is like a gradual revelation of how you bring order to your mental continuum, or, if you prefer, your mental landscape. So the intention to create this altar would be similar to a landscape artist whose work is to turn something chaotic, or disorganized, and reshaping it so that harmony and aesthetic qualities would begin to manifest.

ย 

Its a worthwhile plan. Go for it! :)

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

Word to the wise: never listen to ChiDragon when he enters conversations on these kinds of topics. His hobby of making up nonsense that has little to do with the reality of the Daoist religion and then passing it off as fact borders on the pathological.

ย 

The reality of the Daoist religion (or Daoism in any shade and form) is as authentic as Catholicism or Hinduism not to mention Buddhism. To nonbelievers, whose practises are based on logic and reason, they are all nonsense. I am a non-believer who reads the Tao Te Ching and shuns Daoism, accepts the teaching of Jesus Christ and shuns all Christian faiths.

ย 

Making up nonsense is a personal privilege. Thus,your reality of the Daoist religion is different from Chidragon's. So, why marginalize him for exercising his perogative?

sree, calling some peoples beliefs "nonsense" doesn't seem quite right to me. I understand your position, but there is no reason for this.

Edited by newTaoist

I'm considering making a home Taoist altar, but after doing a thorough internet search, I can't find out much information about what to use and then how to use it (chants, etc.).

ย 

If anyone knows about these things I'd appreciate any information that you may have.

ย 

Thanks in advance :)

ย 

Best advice I could give, do not set up an altar in your home without it being blessed. If the idols are blessed they will be 'open eye'. The part where you have got your idols will have to be sacred and not defiled.

ย 

Better idea, you can obtain a simple wall incense holder, place this on a wall outside, about head height. If you do not know a prayer I can send you one.

Your take is fascinating.

ย 

An altar is the outer expression of one's inner mandala, or mental universe.

ย 

I have never quite figured out the division between the inner and the outer.

ย 

It is a reflection and also a statement of one's affiliations with the spiritual dimension.

ย 

Spirituality, to me, is a quality of life, a heightened state of being. Is the separation between the physical and the spiritual a fact or mind-made?

ย 

As you transit from philosophical to religious, the continual refinement of the planned altar would give you a good visual feel as to your progress.

ย 

Another divide again, and this time it is between philosophy and religion, between thought and action.

ย 

This process of refinement is like a gradual revelation of how you bring order to your mental continuum, or, if you prefer, your mental landscape. So the intention to create this altar would be similar to a landscape artist whose work is to turn something chaotic, or disorganized, and reshaping it so that harmony and aesthetic qualities would begin to manifest.

ย 

Its a worthwhile plan. Go for it! :)

ย 

How is it possible to bring about mental order through the creation of a physical altar? If I am the creator of the altar and my mind is a chaotic mess, then who is the landscape artist clearing up the mess here, metaphorically speaking?

sree, maybe you should start a new thread and express your ideas/views there?

becoz, you make some interesting statements and ask good questions,

i would respond to a few of them but i dont want to go too far off topic on this thread.

• Like 2

sree, calling some peoples beliefs "nonsense" doesn't seem quite right to me. I understand your position, but there is no reason for this.

ย 

newTaoist, please check your emotion and don't let it drive our discussion turning it into an argument.

ย 

There is no reason why non-believers and believers cannot talk things over side-by-side harmoniously.

ย 

"Nonsense" is a word that carries derogatory connotations. It is not my intent to insult. I use that word as per its defined meaning of non-sensical i.e. doesn't make sense.

ย 

Just because something doesn't make sense to me doesn't mean it cannot make sense to you. As long as I respect your right to your beliefs, and I do, I deserve your respect of my right to mine. This doesn't require either of us to accept the other's opinion.

ย 

I hope you understand our need to be different and don't impose a condition that we all either have to think alike or shut up.