Mo Tzu

Meat or Not-For chi development

Hi all, I have been both vegertarian and not, although I do find now after eating meat on a weekly basis (not daily), I feel more energized in a positve way. I only buy good quality if I can for the moral issue of animal welfare and of course for its quality and always eat with veggies for good digestion. It seems to me that a small amount of all foods in a varied diet is the Taoist way. What do you think/feel?

P.S. I am not trying to convert anyone, just discussing chi and food.

xxx

Do you eat meat on a specific day of the week, or time it with any specific activities? I eat fish a couple times a week, and terrestrial meat once a week. I eat eggs almost every day.

The challenge for me is that meat helps me feel energized and mentally grounded, but also makes me require sexual release more frequently. So this is the balance I am trying to find with diet, energy, "energy", and meditation.

• Like 1

I love meat, I'm pretty carnivorous when it comes to diets.

But, like I said in a different thread. Im getting more and more bothered about industrialized cattle production of all forms of meat I consume. I don't think I'll just turn straight up veggie, but certainly trying to reduce my meat consumtion.

Now, about Chi development, I don't know a whole great deal and what I read always entail some form of deprivation of one thing or the other, that's just not my style.

Hi, just logged in after a few days break. In answer to oildrops: I try to aim for Full Moon for heavy meals as the energy is behind us to actively burn it off. I also try to rest more on New Moon, although both of these fluctulate. If I am feeling unwell I may choose a particular meat to suit my needs for rejuvenation and equally if I know I will be physically exerting energy I will eat meat to stock up (esp. lamb or beef(always with 50% veggies)). Also like you, I love eggs, great alternative to meat. As for being overly energised and extra sexual energy, well this ultimately for me is one of the journeys of Taoism, as its easy to cultivate when one is exhausted but to hold onto the energy and distribute it to the organs for another day when energised is a challenge, but very worth while. Expending sexual energy is healthy as long as its not to often.

As for deprivation to cultivate chi (Tao Rambler), for me its more "a switch of attention" for what I want to achieve, then nothings deprived.

Would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts on food as its something we all do every day, and it varies so much for different people.

The more one struggles, the more one achieves.

But nothing is achieved when we give up.

When we retreat conciously, we are not giving up.

Therefore always are we cultivating.

I love meat, I'm pretty carnivorous when it comes to diets.

But, like I said in a different thread. Im getting more and more bothered about industrialized cattle production of all forms of meat I consume. I don't think I'll just turn straight up veggie, but certainly trying to reduce my meat consumtion.

Now, about Chi development, I don't know a whole great deal and what I read always entail some form of deprivation of one thing or the other, that's just not my style.

Sounds good, SMM!

Like you, i have been reducing meat consumption, and as the body age, i find it requires less meat to function optimally, so i just listen carefully, and act accordingly. There are obvious reasons why nature makes the teeth and gums less strong as one ages. Eat only what can be chewed properly is a good guide to follow. Some people in their forties can have weakened gums and teeth, so, if they are meat eaters, then they ought to prepare their meats in such a way where its more tender, whereas there are those in their 60s or 70s who still have very strong teeth, so perhaps they can eat more chewy meat if they want. Generally, the body is intelligent enough to guide itself -- for example, if a person's digestive system is diminishing, the teeth and gums will also loose some of its strength, and vice versa. We simply have to listen and flow with it.

UnNaturally, people desire to reverse the flow, which explains all the fascination with immortality fantasies and preoccupation with all sorts of mystical practices. Bodies do grow old and lose optimal function, just as newborns grow up and gain strength - its a law of life, this cycle of physical ascension and descension. The ability to age with dignity and acceptance in itself is a wonderful elixir for a long and healthy life. People with a flair for this tend to look and feel young, and this attitude will accrue all the other benefits of mastery over fear, clinging and aversion.

I have met a few Taoist and Buddhist hermits in my time, up in the caves and mountains in different parts of the world. Some of them are quite old, and toothless too most of the older ones. Not one of them talk about immortality and physical supremacy as an achievable goal. And when probed, a big grin usually appear on their faces, as if saying, "You're kidding, right?" :D

Just some thoughts.

• Like 1

I dont know if cave dwelling automatically = wisdom.

Nor do i.

I don't live in a Cave, don't even have any Wisdom Teeth, let alone Wisdom !!

But have met plenty of Daoist Lee/Li Tai Chi types that are Vegatarian.

Most of them seem to do it because their Instructors advise it, for Health / Longevity reasons.

Some because they're against Animal Cruelty.

Unsure if there's any evidence that it helps you develop / store Chi.

The impact upon you of various foods - specifically here meat/animal vs vegetarian/vegan becomes more obvious as your practice brings about additional awareness.

During a very intense practice in my late teens and early 20s I became a vegetarian and the impact very clearly lightened my vibration and increase the fineness of my energy and awareness.

I have always loved a blood drenched rare steak, beef jerky (also fish jerky) and pretty much all meat products, however these meats bring a heavy energy to my space - depending on where you are in your practice and in your hormones, meat can seem grounding or un-grounding.

The younger you are the more your voices will uphold your "need for meat" and how it is "best for me and my body type".

My personality likes bloody red meat, strong black coffee with no sugar and a beefy beer or Rum and a strong loud California red wine. Very spicy food has always been my mainstay, Led Leplin took a fair portion of my hearing.

My mindful side understands that the stimulant of coffee is often counter productive, that constant spicy food is unbalancing, that meat in any form is leadening and alcohol is just a poor choice all together.

I have found fasting to be for me the best method of recalibrating my food proclivities. We change physically over time - not at all necessarily for the worse - but change we do - and our habituations often outlive our bodies present needs and wants.

Food habits are among the hardest things to change - in great part this is due to the fact that our "identifications" with food are more easily seen as "my body type requires this" than "I am a robot and this crap that I used to like is obviously not the best choice now and probably never was".

As an example - milk, cheese and dairy in general are not good for most adults past the age of 20 in all but the most modest of quantities - but no matter what evidence you place in front of 99% of the population that does not have lactose intolerance - you will be flapping in the wind as far as they are concerned.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

Why not just ask your body what it wants instead of a group of internet wannabees?

Regardless of whatever I tell you to do, it is not necessarily what your body wants.

1. Ask your body

2. Ask the food

It really is that simple but you need to pay attention.

JMO.

• Like 1

Each type of food to me has an energy / Chi of its own, how it is raised and harvested is an energy. whoever prepared the meal also passes an energetic to it.

My internal system changes like the weather and seasons change and age change so to develop internal awareness and to be in balance with the changes Chi stays in balance. My mental thought can change how food will affect me so what I eat is awesome and will benefit me. If I say I should not eat this because whatever reason that creates a reaction with the food.

The Taoist diets that I am aware of are complicated only because of change and do not exclude any type of food. Change is not a factor in conventional diets. I might not just drink dew and eat pine nuts but I am strange I forget to eat. Who does that? I actually have to think back if I have eaten or not

Sorry, I should make it clear that the "Taoist Diet" I refer to is called the Ch'ang ming. It was first brought to the UK by Chan Kam Li, in the 1930's (I think). He then modified it for the UK, something to do with the climate, the soil, etc. Basically, everybody that follows this diet eats local organically grown vegatables, grains, pulses, etc and fruit that's in season.

One of the main points is to reduce your dairy intake.... as Chee Soo used to say, cows milk is meant for for baby cows, not humans. ^_^

Hi all, I have been both vegertarian and not, although I do find now after eating meat on a weekly basis (not daily), I feel more energized in a positve way. I only buy good quality if I can for the moral issue of animal welfare and of course for its quality and always eat with veggies for good digestion. It seems to me that a small amount of all foods in a varied diet is the Taoist way. What do you think/feel?

P.S. I am not trying to convert anyone, just discussing chi and food.

xxx

Diet goes according with what you are trying to accomplish in your training.

Traditional training is to eat with in a period of 6 to 8 hours and have a break betwwen 18 to 16 hours.

This makes the GI tract clean and helps with the vibration in the body. Also, with certain trainings, it is best to not eat meat until you achieve the desired results and move to the next training.

• Like 1

Meat (poultry and fish) is the most potent Jing food you can eat, way more than vegetables

(I won't use harsh language this time)

NO.

If any of you find you are craving more junk food and sugar, what you really need is a big hairy steak, preferably barbequed. That will cure your cravings for junk food and sugar for quite some time.

Once I read a book about Himalayan cave dwellers who lived on a diet of sprouts and thought that was cool so I told my teacher about it. His answer was: "If you do this chi kung you need to eat meat! Said in a rare for him forceful tone ... and 'this' chi kung is one of the most high power ones you will never find.

Maybe I should, yes.

Maybe you should, cause I didn't read any argument either in your posts, except your personal experience.

Perrsonal experience is indeed important, but you can't make a general rule with it.

To be more specific, there are many cultivators who developped jing, qi and even shen, who are vegetarians. (A few of them being vegan). Actually, some consider it a basic need for inner alchemy (and not always for ethical reasons). That dépends on the school, geographical location etc.

My own experience is that I don't need meat , even if thought I did just a few years ago. My jing and qi are fine, thanks for them.

So, when I read that meat is needed, I am sorry, but I really think they have no idea of what they're talking about.

It's almost the same as those who say you need meat for the protein: again, NO.

• Like 1

Well, your post is full of rhetorical fallacies and the facts you share are weak.

Your aggressive (previous post) and megalomaniac manners (almighty single word responses) don't advocate for any spiritual success of yours.

Edited by nickyro