Sign in to follow this  
tabbywinn

Bonjour (soir)

Hello,

I'm new to everything. I briefly studied Daoism in middle school when we were covering world religions and again in a philosophy class in college.

I'd like to understand Daoism some more and also understand how and why people practice and what not.

Currently browsing lots of blogs and books on modern daoism. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Well Daoism -- it's a broad category. Everyone will differ slightly on what it covers as the Tao can not be spoken about.

So true study involves silent meditation but then even some scholars argue the Tao Te Ching is not about alchemical meditation.

So it depends but it seems most on this website focus on meditation practice as Taoism but there also seems to be what's called "folk Taoism" which is considered more superstitious by many. It depends how it's used but for example certain animal parts to increase health probably just make the animals go extinct and not really do what they are supposed to do for health. Or maybe certain rituals or talismans are just empty gestures to appease people into donating money, etc. I don't know.

But personally I would recommend you read a great biography of a Taoist master trained as a "wizard" or qigong master - "Opening the Dragon Gate" about Wang Liping.

But then there are tons of experts on this forum -- several people in China posting - so dig in and enjoy.

Hey, Stop that !!! It CANNOT be spoken about, ok !!

Well Daoism -- it's a broad category. Everyone will differ slightly on what it covers as the Tao can not be spoken about.

Bonjour,

Almost any spiritual system including Taoism deals with your energetic field and all the talking about and on rotates round one topic- saving and acquiring energy .When you look down now on all the systems within your grasp you can quickly discard the inefficient ones. Taoism is the fastest one for self development.

Sign in to follow this