Tibetan_Ice

Latest Meditation Experience

Hi, :)

Well, I have to write again.. :)

I have been doing breath meditations regularily, for 2 or 3 hours per day, every day for months now.

The breath meditations progressed until, a few days ago during one meditation, I dissolved the body and found that there was a sphere of awareness, much the same 'feeling' as the substance that emerges during my satori moments, which inhabits the body. It is like the inner layer of the body is a field of clear aware light that is aware, not in a point or center, but as a whole. The whole field is aware, each of its own things, and as one thing (if that makes sense). It reminds me of Nisargadatta's "focus on the I AM".

On the day following that meditation, the aware field did not come back.. I was kind of sad.

Over the weekend, I listened to Alan Wallace's Dzogchen broadcast, #29 over again. I have been listening and performing the meditations in his 30 podcast Dzogchen retreat for the second time.

In #29, he reveals the higher practice of shifting one's attention without object, directly above the head, then to the right, then, to the left and finally he says to visualize that your centre of attention in the head takes an imaginary elevator downwards to the heart and remains there! I was flabergasted that this is actually one of the highest Dzogchen practices, as taught by Padmasambhava in his book called "Natural Libertaion". I haven't verified that yet, but the whole idea that one finally ends up in the heart was amazing to me. The heart is magical. It really is. :)

Today, during my breaks at work, I spent some time doing sambhavi, and really sucking in from the forehead, simulating sleep. I had to reassure myself that I hadn't lost the kundalini effects this practice produce. Yup.. still there.. Within a few seconds, I saw the layers of consciousness pass by, lights, visions etc as one would while falling asleep, and the root started acting up again with ecstatic bliss.. Same old, same old..

When I came home from work, I noticed that I had an intuition that a book had arrived. I was looking forward to receiving the book about the Third Eye from Del Pe, which is being delivered from India so I thought that that was that book. When I got to the mail box, there was a very small parcel.. Hmmm.. The Del Pe book was 475 pages so it couldn't be that one. When I got inside the house and cut the parcel open, it revealed that the book was "The Mirror" by Namkhai Norbu! I had ordered it a while back.

Now, I really like Namkhai Norbu. When I first learned of him he visited me astrally and gave me some kind of transmission. The effect from that experience was that this golden aware light in head, close to the "I" grew over the span of a couple days. Lack of sleep and the feeling of pure awareness expanding were the characteristics.. N Norbu has 'visited' a couple times since then. Every now and then I will see him, smiling at me (well not quite smiling, more like 'wising' at me) in the astral. He is quite adept to be visiting me so much. I am grateful.

Anyway, It was just before my 'home-from-work' meditation and I decided to read just a bit of "The Mirror". It was a very small book and it looked interesting. The gist of the book is that one must remain in presence and awareness, not just during meditation, but 24 hours a day. One must make an effort, once a meditator learns how to access the 'presence and awareness' to remain in there during all the activities of the day: walking, eating, working.. etc..

It seemed like very good advice to me. To remain in presence and awareness. I had read for about 40 minutes and finished the main part of the book. I was a little late for my pre-supper meditation.. No big deal.

I sat in my meditation area and set my timer for 45 minutes instead of 1 hour because I was a little off schedule. I wondered what it meant to sit in 'presence and awareness'.

So, I closed my eyes and looked straight ahead. Hands on thighs, open and palms up. Lower back resting on the wall. No kechari or anything fancy. I first focused on 'presence' which immediately brought my attention downwards towards the energetic sphere of the body. Then I focused on 'awareness' and tried to be aware of everything at the same time, mostly with the eyes. Vivid awareness. I tried to hold the combination of presence (which morphed into a feeling of being centered in the heart) and awareness. As instructed in the book, if thoughts were to come up, you simply ignore them or dissolve them away.

Thoughts came up, and I noticed that they dissolved away very quickly. I maintained my focus of the combination of presence and awareness. Images came up, the pulsing of the etheric body matching the breath, visions, thoughts etc and I maintained my focus through the rough stuff. It was almost easy. I just kept turning my attention downwards towards the body and cranked up the attention, interest, awareness of all senses in order to catch every detail, every sound, every thump and bump that living in a shared residence produces.

Gradually, after most of the winds settled down, I discovered that I was no longer a point of consciousness or center of attention in the head. I had become a sort of bubble or round sphere of awareness, with the center in the general area of where the heart should have been. Not a point, but a sphere of awareness..

Then, the magic started happening. I would see a scene, but it was no longer a scene like looking through the third eye. The scene was on the outside of bubble, surrounding the whole bubble. It was like I had travelled to and had become immersed in another land, one with green leafy vegetation and strange looking plants. Again, I focused on presence and awareness because I thought it was just a more elaborate vision, and again I was immersed in another landscape. It was like I was in a bubble and was travelling to other planes, or dimensions or planets. It was amazing!

I noticed that while this was going on, my mind was relaying thoughts and at first I ignored them and dissolved them.. They would disappear into a fine mist. Then, I realized that I could actually think and still be in the bubble and be immersed in a landscape, all at the same time. But, for fear of losing the experience, I maintained a focus on the presence and the awareness as the primary interest. I experienced about 10 or 12 immersions into places I had never seen before..

Next I also noticed that I could see the physical world even though my eyes were closed, the room where I was meditating in, the whole house, like it was transparent, as a sort of background to the landscapes I was seeing. I was seeing everything at once, like layers of visible transparency..

Then I noticed that I felt like I could just float off in the bubble, and float around the room if I wanted to. I didn't do it because I thought that that was enough.

Then my mind started getting afraid and wishing the whole experience was over because it was an experience that it was not used to, had never experienced before and wanted time to analyze and digest this new phenomenon. I kept at it, hoping to hear the 45 minute bells from my "Insight Timer".

I noticed that there was no body sensation, that I was a very light sphere of aware luminescence. It felt superb. I was a ball of presence and awareness! I wondered if I could somehow transport myself, body included, to other locations in the world. The thought of the merkaba came to mind. I wondered if this was all the magic of the heart, where the real power lies. Then the timer bells went off. YAY!!! Post meditative digestion by the conceptual mind. One of my favorites activities..

I've been so happy since that meditation. I'm bouncing around as I walk, with a big smile on my face. I feel like I've discovered a key, a hidden secret. The key is presence, just like Eckhart Tolle talks about, and awareness. Not pointed awareness like a concentrative laser, but relaxed mind awareness with peripheral attention, not focusing on any point except downwards towards the body for the presence part. And, being aware of 360 degrees around with high attention and interest at the same time. Presence and awareness.. Space and Light.

Hmmm.. Presence.. perhaps it is the dharmakaya. Or primordial consciousness? Awareness? The luminescence of awareness? The Sambhogakaya? The Heart? WOW! Magical.

:)

TI

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 7

Guest Jason Croft

I've been doing somewhat you are describing but from a slightly different angle - but still with the astral projection etc...

I think that the author of this book explains things very well - as he has been practicing and teaching for over 20 years and had many of his own experiences as well as his students. The book is only 85 pages with 10 pages being pictures but has a wealth of understandings.

Chapter 9 is totally on the very rare instructions of Kundalini yoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites

Rock n Roll!

This work will live with you and it cannot be ignored

You will transcend your conclusions many times - more so if you identify with them

Thank you for sharing this with us - many of us have walked these steps and many have not

It is exciting and as wonderful as the energy with which it was written!

You have given us an opportunity to share in your experience, curb our jealousy and restrain our cautions to you!

Bravo!

• Like 2

Cool! If you tried focusing on the edge of your sphere of awareness, perhaps you could reach the jhana of infinite space or infinite consciousness? Just a thought from someone who hasn't experienced jhana yet...

Is your mind clinging to this accomplishment? The mind has a tendency to do this, that's its nature.

I would just keep practicing and ignore this experience.

Hi Gerard,

Why would I ignore the experience? I've gained insight with that experience.

Further, once you achieve a certain state, it is often easier to get back into it by focusing on the state. Once having achieved jhanas, many teachers say you can go directly back into them.

Further, I want to remember how to get back there, what I did, and as remember as much as possible to maintain a learning experience.

Ignoring the experience is not the kind of thing that I would do or recommend to anyone. It reminds me of the bad advice you get at AYP, the idea that it's all scenery. What a misnomer.

Blessings..

TI

Rock n Roll!

This work will live with you and it cannot be ignored

You will transcend your conclusions many times - more so if you identify with them

Thank you for sharing this with us - many of us have walked these steps and many have not

It is exciting and as wonderful as the energy with which it was written!

You have given us an opportunity to share in your experience, curb our jealousy and restrain our cautions to you!

Bravo!

Hi Spotless, :)

What a nice comment. I appreciate it.

TI

I've been doing somewhat you are describing but from a slightly different angle - but still with the astral projection etc...

I think that the author of this book explains things very well - as he has been practicing and teaching for over 20 years and had many of his own experiences as well as his students. The book is only 85 pages with 10 pages being pictures but has a wealth of understandings.

Chapter 9 is totally on the very rare instructions of Kundalini yoga.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites

Hi Jason, :)

The difference between this experience and astral travel is that during astral travel, there is always the observer in the background. In this case, it is the observer in the background that becomes the center.. I think it may have to do with being first centered in presence in the heart..

TI

Cool! If you tried focusing on the edge of your sphere of awareness, perhaps you could reach the jhana of infinite space or infinite consciousness? Just a thought from someone who hasn't experienced jhana yet...

Hi SotS :)

I know you will get it. The key to breath meditation is sustaining effort at first, along with relaxation. You have to make a real effort to keep the attention on the breath. You have to 'up' your attention and vividness. It helps to achieve the stability. Also, focus on the knowing of the breath, not the physical sensations so much.

TI

Also, focus on the knowing of the breath, not the physical sensations so much.

TI

I found this tidbit quite insightful. Thanks.

My 2 cents, Peace

Hi, :)

Well, I have to write again.. :)

I've had this experience for some time every time i sit to rest and recognize rigpa apart from the scenery vissions you mentioned.

If i put this experience into the context of recognizing rigpa and recognizing the entire display as a manifestation of our potentiality one thing i find of tremendous importance.That where these visions need to be seen ,understood, realised as manifestations of oneself and nothing more or for that matter nothing less.

Because if they are not recognized as own display they are no different from seeing "things" or objects like we would see the glass of water in front.

Of particular relevance to this practice i have found being aware of the presence of hope and fear and fascination while this happens.

These three aspects of dualistic mind block or interfere with the manifestation of these visions .

In the beginning the things that helped me getting into this display at will was using various points of instructions found in Longde.For me personally they were the key for getting into that display where the knowledge of my own state would arise spontaneously and directly.

TI has been posting these type of experiences for years on AYP.

He is not a Buddhist, nor do these experiences have anything to do with Buddhism.

Is your mind clinging to this accomplishment? The mind has a tendency to do this, that's its nature.

I would just keep practicing and ignore this experience.

Some people just like to play the grand master. :)

TI, nice experience!!! But I still like your naked girls experience better.

Edited by hydrogen

You are on the right track. Vajrayana sexual practices are better than meditation.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4704&sid=9170ac65f35ea34dd1e72f1cc7d92061

I appreciate TI's effort to write down his personal expereiences. I think I should do that more.

I'll check into Vajrayana sexual practice. Thanks for the link.

Would you like to share your personal meditation experiences as well?

Something tells me you're not referring to the type of girls/women of the American Dove Bar ad capaign. :)

I don't know what body type of girls that TI saw during his meditation. TI can answer the question better.

My guess they were not t Dove bar Ad girls for TI saw NAKED girls while the dvoe girls have thong and bra on. :)

Would you like to share your personal meditation experiences as well?

I don't meditate. Meditation is not the Vajrayana way.

He is not a Buddhist, nor do these experiences have anything to do with Buddhism.

Alwaysoff,

why don't you go pollute and derail someone else's thread?

Thank you for demonstrating how clearly delineated buddhism is :lol:

I've had this experience for some time every time i sit to rest and recognize rigpa apart from the scenery vissions you mentioned.

If i put this experience into the context of recognizing rigpa and recognizing the entire display as a manifestation of our potentiality one thing i find of tremendous importance.That where these visions need to be seen ,understood, realised as manifestations of oneself and nothing more or for that matter nothing less.

Because if they are not recognized as own display they are no different from seeing "things" or objects like we would see the glass of water in front.

Of particular relevance to this practice i have found being aware of the presence of hope and fear and fascination while this happens.

These three aspects of dualistic mind block or interfere with the manifestation of these visions .

In the beginning the things that helped me getting into this display at will was using various points of instructions found in Longde.For me personally they were the key for getting into that display where the knowledge of my own state would arise spontaneously and directly.

Hi Anderson :)

Thank you for your reply.

I do recall reading in several places, "the Heart Drops of Dharmakaya" is one, where it says that there is no importance to having the visions other than the fact that we dissolve the visions. But, first, before you can dissolve the visions, you must have the visions to dissolve.

And, Yes. It is important, as mentioned in Bon, that we learn to dissolve thoughts and visions, and then the 'watcher' and realize that everything is just a display of the five lights (pure and impure).

After a bit of research I have discovered that "the Cycle of Day and Night" by C.N. Norbu, is supposed to have instructions from the Longde in it, and I did receive that in the mail a few days ago. I am looking forward to reading it.

I did notice that during that meditation that I described in this post, that the normal thoughts were dissolving on their own, however, instead of dissolving the visions like I normally do or have done in the past, I grasped at them. I like exploring and learning. I've always wanted to know how to transport the body to different locations, and also to bring a group of people along with me. I read about a guru (many years ago) who transported a group of people from a small village in India to a large city to go shopping for a day, and then back afterwards. Somehow that story stuck with me all these years. :)

I was reading in the book called "The Ninth Karmapa's Ocean of Definitive Meaning" by Khenchen Thrangu Rinpoche. In it he says that one must also learn how to dissolve the kleshas. He says that dissolving a klesha one time does not liberate. One must repeatedly dissolve the kleshas. In this way one will understand that the kleshas are empty, have no real substance, and that that aspect is liberating. I consider that a valuable thing to know. Imagine that, instead of dwelling in anger, or any of the baser emotions for extended periods of time, one could simply dissolve them and regain composure.. The end of one form of suffering on a small scale..

I have dissolved a few kleshas so far. What I have found is that once dissolved, they produce a great amount of bliss and energy/heat right after the dissolution.

Alan Wallace's Dzogchen retreat podcasts contains instructions on watching thoughts and watching them dissolve. It is interesting that they do dissolve on their own when one looks directly at them and does not grasp at them (let the conceptual mind continue on the referent content.. )

You sound like you are successful in realizing the natural state and staying there. Did you ever receive a transmission in person from anyone? What kind of pointing out instructions did you receive?

TI

TI....

Thanks for your posting. I don't practice the kind of meditation you do, haven't had the kind of experiences you've had, and find your account inspiring just the same. How rare it is that someone truly dedicates themselves to spiritual practice! By cultivating awareness, prescence, etc and then telling your story here on taobums, you open a doorway that makes it that much easier for others to follow where you've gone before. They will, I'm sure, appreciate the work you're doing just as you no doubt appreciate the efforts of those who have come before you. Our willingness to connect with the deepest parts of ourselves links us to one another in gratitude and love. It's really quite beautiful.

Liminal

• Like 1

You are on the right track. Vajrayana sexual practices are better than meditation.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4704&sid=9170ac65f35ea34dd1e72f1cc7d92061

Vajrayana and Tantric practices aren't Buddhism... It's Hindu philosophy that seeped into certain Buddhist cultures, especially in Tibet. But Tantra isn't Buddhist any more than Nat worship is...

Vajrayana and Tantric practices aren't Buddhism... It's Hindu philosophy that seeped into certain Buddhist cultures, especially in Tibet. But Tantra isn't Buddhist any more than Nat worship is...

Probably this comment makes sense to you, but it doesn't to me.