Sign in to follow this  
informer24

Help me understand

I am trying to learn exactly what taoism is? What are the practices? The more I try to research the more confused I get, the more I read is the more confused I get! I was recommended a book but all it was, was a bunch of poems. Im set to visit a place here in Miami that may be able to shed some light on taoism for me hopefully. From what I can tell its about learning about yourself and discovering yourself but nobody is saying how or what a taoist does physically that makes him a taoist.

P.s I checked the sticky and the ones I clicked were bad links

A Taoist will integrate oneself with Nature to preserve life for longevity. This is the goal of a Taoist. Now, it is time for you to begin search to find out how to do it..... :)

I'll give you a hint...!!! First, it is to have a peaceful mind to start with. Find the truth about everything, and disregard any fallacies. ;)

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Good advice above.

But don't get too hooked on the "living with Nature" part. You don't need to find a cave in some mountain somewhere to do this.

Yeah that definition of 'nature is a slippery one which , I wish someone would put to bed.

:)

Edited by Stosh

I am trying to learn exactly what taoism is? What are the practices? The more I try to research the more confused I get, the more I read is the more confused I get! I was recommended a book but all it was, was a bunch of poems. Im set to visit a place here in Miami that may be able to shed some light on taoism for me hopefully. From what I can tell its about learning about yourself and discovering yourself but nobody is saying how or what a taoist does physically that makes him a taoist.

Taoist practices.. there are a lot of books which can get you started , different people like different ones, it depends on who you are, what you resonate with.

I recommend unreservedly Taoist Yoga by Eric Yudelove, as accurate, well written, easy to read, methodical, practical yet conveying depth of purpose. Doing the exercises will purify you so that you get clearer and clearer.

Good Luck.

Their is a saying that "The Tao that can be told is not the eternal Tao."

It is why you will continue to receive so many answers to this direct question answered in such vague ways.

Among the elements of what would define the Tao is that it is a "path" and not a religion in a Western sense.

It is not something handed down and which you are asked to accept and surrender to.

You set upon the path and cultivate the energies, skills and unfolding awareness as walls of illusion

fade and you rejoin your essence with the universe.

It is a path of refining the coarse into the fine, learning to balance yin and yang, effortless action.

The energies moving through you become less encumbered, throttled and colorized by your identifications and false personality. Less charged with indulgence and fear.

Dissipation of energy is reduced, accumulation is practiced and higher bodies awaken.

(please don't take it personally if I am wildly off here in this attempt of mine to explain some elements of the question - I am new to what is known as this system as well - though my practice has encompassed much of it)

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 2

Living with Nature doesn't mean to find a cave to be lived in. It simply means eat the right foods and breathe the air which provided by Nature and be natural going about with things. Again, Wu Wei is the key to be a Taoist. Taoist cannot run away from Nature whether one likes it or not.

PS.....
I am only answering the question pertaining to the OP as a Taoist. Any response from a non-Taoist might be distracted or distorted to the thread.

Edited by ChiDragon

Cd , imo , using the word again as in " natural going about things ", and Wu Wei ,

which you define rather closely with the self same 'N' word

Isnt really explaining what the "N' word means in Chinese or English

I wouldnt at all be surprised if you didnt find my own opinions on the

subject less alien , if you made a hearty attempt at the definition.

Which is why I commented as I did. and it would potentially further the thread.

But If you are satisfied with your contribution on it already

I guess it can be left standing as it is.

Cd , imo , using the word again as in " natural going about things ", and Wu Wei ,

which you define rather closely with the self same 'N' word

Isnt really explaining what the "N' word means in Chinese or English

That is why this thread was created due to lots of misunderstanding or no info was readily available. Based on my intuition from staying here in the forum long enough, it seems to me only a Chinese Taoist would know what the "N" word means.

Edited by ChiDragon

No means No in any culture.

Tao is universal.

Chidragon, I think you used the race card too many times.

Tao is universal.

Universal......??? How come informer24 cannot find his answer anywhere and no one gave him a straight answer....???

Let's face it, I'm only trying to be realistic and bring out the truth in reality.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

Here's another straight answer:

Ken Cohen :

Taoism is essentially Chinese, a combination of even earlier shamanism, called wu jiao in Chinese, and spiritual practices established by mountain hermits. These hermits were drawn to the beauty, power, and peace of nature. Some were former government employees who escaped from the chaos, intrigue, and aggression common during the early centuries B.C.E.. If they were successful
in their quest for a deeper truth, they merged with the spirit of nature
, achieved health and longevity, and became the realized sages that in Taoism are known as Immortals (Xian).

Edited by cat

How many straight answers should there be.....???

By definition, it should be one. How many straight lines in one straight line? If it is universal like rain drops falling onto the ground, he too should receive some Tao wisdom regardless where, why, and when. Yet, the mind is still confused.

For the OP, don't search the Tao since Tao is already here. If you are still looking, you are not looking for the Tao but something else.....:)

The OP is not looking for Tao but "what a Taoist does physically that makes him a Taoist."..... :)

Edited by ChiDragon

The OP is not looking for Tao but "what a Taoist does physically that makes him a Taoist."..... :)

Oh, that would be to achieve immortality through practicing internal alchemy and the manipulation of the chi energy throughout one's body via the yi consciousness. To obtain the perfect balance in mind and body via eating healthy food, performing deeds of merits, and meditation. And hopefully one can get all this accomplished in one's life time, maybe 2. And with the helps of other Taoist immortal beings from the past, that is if you are lucky enough to receive some guidance. Just a guess on my part....

• Like 1

He was told " It simply means eat the right foods and breathe the air which provided by Nature and be natural going about with things"

I guess he should be satisfied with that . breathing and eating ,, easy to do !

Going about with things in a natural way ,, Hmmm what does one consider a natural way ??

Ahhh !! the way that is not unnatural !! 'but since Taoist cannot run away from Nature whether one likes it or not..."

Its anything at all !

So long as one eats and breathes and does anything at all .. well they be Taoist! and not otherwise!

Absolutely right CD you really explained that in a way only a Chinese Taoist would understand.

But since by that definition everybody is a Taoist , then it really just depends on whether one is Chinese or not!

Its realistic too !

The ball is red, because it redly has redness, so its certainly not green !!

Now we can all march off and do the gerund of wu wei which is naturing I suppose.

Well,

I would if I was Chinese anyhow.

Thats much better than poems. and we should all thank our lucky stars for that elightening view.

:)

Edited by Stosh

For newcomers it's important to understand that there are two very distinct types of Taoism, religious and what I call spiritual.

In the east, most people have no clue or understanding about the spiritual it's almost entirely religious Taoism and from my observations it's not what we westerners would consider very religious. Taiwan is one of, if not the most authentic hubs of chinese culture. The practices, language, arts, and other things that were lost in the cultural revolution thrive in Taiwan. Living in a smaller, more traditional place I see and hear more than I would like to. It's far far far from what westerners think they would see. It's almost entirely ran by the triads, extremely noisy, and big big business. The good part is that their greed has kept all these strange and colorful cultural events alive. Keep the people believing and they will keep buying tons and tons of ghost money and giving donations. I particularly enjoy the temple strippers, or the mobile ones on jeeps with the stripper pole mounted in back. It seems like every few days there is some major god being honored, only a few people even know about who these gods are, then of course every two weeks is the new moon and full moon festivities, once again all ran by extremely rough, binlang chewing, beer drinking thugs. Far far from the spiritual Taoism westerners know and practice.

In the west, and what is talked about on This website, is all about what I call spiritual Taoism. The Tao te Ching, the five elements, meditation, chi kung, alchemy etc.... Spiritual Taoism is a personal individual path of improving ourselves and harmonizing with the Tao.

• Like 4

The World's Religions: Our Great Wisdom Traditions (Paperback)

by Huston Smith

It's $4.00 with shipping on amazon.

How many straight answers should there be.....???

Wonderful point!

A community answer always gives a fuller picture.

Thanks go to all the voices here, creating a suitably rich vision.

All the different resonances offered mean that we can gravitate toward what sings true with us.

• Like 2

From what I can tell its about learning about yourself and discovering yourself but nobody is saying how or what a taoist does physically that makes him a taoist.

You got it right on both accounts.

1. Tao is about to discovery your true self.

2. Tao encourage you to walk your own unique path.

So you decide where to start, how to walk, which direction to take. I'll do a quick the disciples of Jesus vs Taoist eithgt immortals to give you some idea.

The twelve disciples of Jesus were able young man, so called uprigth good citizens. They all started their path by following Jesus. A simple, unified and dull picture. They all did basically the same thing on earth: preach to others about their belief. And they all met with painful death, a gruesome ending on earth.

The eight immortals, lack in number, but definitely made up with characters. There were man, woman, youth, elderly and the disabled. They came from different back ground: royalty, begger, scholar, trademan and drunk. They started by searching for immotality, gold, revenge and a good time. They all found the godness/goodness inside themselves and became immortals.

AND they kept their individuality.

As a taoist, we're not mandated to "spread the message from God".

Tao is universal.

Do what I have done.

Ignore bin is the best place for that kind

Try to get your hands on any of John Blofeld books on Taoism

If you have only one book on Taoism, this should be the book

http://www.shambhala.com/authors/a-f/john-blofeld/taoism.html

Idiotic Taoist

Now you've started it ... Asking 'ism' and 'ist' questions always brings out the best and worst ;)

How about some reverse question:

If we told you to follow 6 steps and 2 truths (which at least makes it shorter than the 8 fold path and 4 noble truths) would you agree it is better and easier? :D

I'll use a life example to illustrate... not sure if you have children or not but I am sure you can visualize the ideas:

A child comes into the world with wide eyes, open heart, and healthy laughter and is completely at ease (at least after that spank by the doctor). In their own mind, however blank, they are completely One with the Oyster world around them. Life is on their terms and they function in almost every way effortlessly but as if according to some unknown internal clock. (their waking time from day to day is more precise than a quartz watch).

They do not know left from right; but they produce such movements to glance around. They do not know yes or no; but they can turn their nose away from certain smells. They don't know friend or foe; but they can cry like an air raid.

As they grow, they learn life, speech, and ways from those mammoth entities which tower over and revolve around them (ie: humans). Their stomach pumps like a two cycle bellows. They are fearless when sitting among animals. Without even a tutor, they can soon verbalize speech.

Now, look at yourself: How do you compare today to this so-called 'helpless, infantile' state? Or should I ask, "where in life did the infant in you stop listening to the inner voice and connection"? (rhetorical to us all !)

Daoism is this same story. You are the child (as are the other ten thousand things). The world is your mother. The world has a natural flow, cycle, and way to effortlessly operate; Grow the innate connection to this motherly Way and you'll be at One with it. The ancients saw man as a microcosm of the universe. We have a universal guide.

All of creation has a common beginning.

This common beginning is the Mysterious Mother of all.

If we know the Mother, we may know her offspring.

Know the offspring, yet stay with the Mother, -- Ni, Chapter 52

But somewhere between infancy and adulthood we got off track and we went left instead of right. The innate connection was desensitized by school and friends and games and fun and relations and, some stuff which is not so fun after all because we traded our innate spirituality for religious morality and things became 'right and wrong; good and bad'.

Daoism is this same story: When the inner connection is put aside, morality arises and the natural order is exchanged for human understanding.

When humankind strayed from the natural way of life,

relative social disciplines began to appear. -- Ni, Chapter 18

When one is one with universal nature,

universal nature is one with him.

When one is one with universal virtue,

universal virtue is one with him.

When one deviates from universal nature,

deviation keeps him from universal nature. -- Ni, chapter 23

And somewhere along the line, that understanding takes a step back and realizes we are not sure if we sold our soul to the devil or not, but something seems amiss. What we don't realize is that this was not our understanding but the dormant inner connection waking up. We just want to still take credit for anything we do. But as we listen to this inner voice more and more, we want to find some answers and figure out how to 'fix it'. So we want to know , "what to do", "what to practice", "how to become an 'ist' of this inner voice. And we hear ten thousand voices on the internet giving us advice on what to "do"...

Daoism is the same story: We need to settle down, empty our thoughts and get back to that inner voice... it has never left us.

One does not separate one's being from the subtle essence of the universe. -- Ni, Chapter 2

When people lack a sense of pure spiritual piety toward natural life,

then awful things happen in their life.

Therefore, respect where you dwell.

Love your life and livelihood. -- Ni, Chapter 72

One with wholeness of virtue has an unconditioned mind.

He regards the mind of all being as his own mind.

He is kind to the kind.

He is also kind to the unkind,

for the subtle nature of the universe is kind.

He is faithful to the faithful.

He is also faithful to the unfaithful,

for the integral virtue of the universe is undeceiving.

In the midst of the world,

he dissolves all minds into harmonious Oneness. -- Ni, Chapter 49

Be the stream of the Universe,
ever true and flowing, without preference.
Become simple, yielding and soft as a child.
Being the stream of the Universe, be an example to the World;
approach life with an open mind and an open heart.
Dwell in the infinite. -- Flowing Hands, Chapter 28
Do not seek fulfilment, but feel the Dao in your heart.
By not seeking fulfilment, nothing is changed. -- Flowing Hands, Chapter 15
That is the story of Daoism...
The 6 steps:
1. To not seek fulfillment
2. Approach life with an open mind and an open heart
3. love your life and livlihood
4. Be kind to the kind and unkind
5. Be one with the universal, spiritual Mother
6. Dwell in the infinite
The 2 truths:
1. All of creation has a common beginning. (equal opportunity; no preferences; no judgments on who you are)
2. One does not separate one's being from the subtle essence of the universe. (people stray; the universe doesn't)
The ultimate path is within, not Q&A here.
I made the steps and truths based on the Laozi chapters... Hope you enjoyed it. thanks for the thread.
  • Like 3

Sign in to follow this