Sign in to follow this  
Vanir Thunder Dojo Tan

Looking for gamers with free time, Google+, and a deep interest in RPGs

A very serious request for some help in crafting and proving an overly complex and complicated stats, exp, class, race, and level system...

Need people with an interest in spending time calculating and recalculating "theoretical character sheets", looking for mistakes, complications, and "dead ends", who have free time and are also willing to role play some of the characters.

I'm not entirely willing to publish anything yet, so if you're interested, i hope you can "keep it to yourself", so to speak, until i feel confident the system is as perfected as i am comfortable with :P

Some things that have been published are in my blog; more specifically story content:

http://rjthorwip.blogspot.com/?zx=b8285df455e528c8

http://rsafl.blogspot.com/

The "comic" is intent for an expression of the conceptualization of an idealized Videogame medium, and is "hell bent" on maintaining "in-game-canon" perspective; that is to say that if/when it becomes a game, the "comic" will be the referential example of what hte game would "be like".

The element chart you can find here is the base reference for magic, character classes, deities/gods/spirits, and the passage of time.

Yesterday I've been thinking about making a role playing game, too... again

I'm trying to wrap my head around the healing system, it's fun thinking up attack actions and spells but healing has to take place or else the adventure end too soon.

Here is a series of videos by THE SPOONYONE

http://www.youtube.com/user/countermonkeybard

He talks about RPing a lot and has many interesting points and stories about broken games

Some stories are funny, like this one

Some things I've learned FROM DA MASTA SPOONY

Don't give stats to everything or the players would want to fight it. Like, imagine there is some god character who is supposed to be unbeatable but they will still will try to fight it

Don't make one thing more interesting then the other or they will break the game. Like, in Star Wars games everyone would want to be a jedi or one type of weapon is better then the other, there's a story where everyone was using a super soakers to fight in one of the videos.

And I think it would be fun to add something that would break the game just for laughs.

I want to make my own thing but I'm willing to make like additional weapons and armor or something like that for you

lol "give stats to everything" kind of applies. but the factor is being that if it's unkillable, it's BECAUSE of the stats; level 100 vs level 100,000 for example. sure, try to fight it lol.

Fucks' sakes, for that matter, a level 5 versus a level 8 would be "unkillable".

But a "way to break the game" is suggestive; 100% destructible world </= can gain means to become "more powerful", always. like no permanent stat/level caps, and EVERYTHING /always stacks...

LOL takes forever to calculate any of this -_- wish i knew how to make a program do it for me haw.

I was looking at your element charts.

I believe you could benefit by looking into pokemons element system. There is a core system of elements that logically oppose each other in a cycle (fire water grass). Then a whole system of elements that do not fit into this pattern. The key to making a good element system is to take into account the realistic properties of each element and finding a way to incorporate it. I would feel a bit off using lightning if it was weak against fire creatures because it was geometrically convenient. This seems off to me. I would rather use an element system that I can discern some logic behind.

Lightning weak against rock strong against water.

I do not suggest copying it completely, but I believe that by modeling the qualities that make it excellent you could integrate your system into a realistic one.

I support using the I Ching primarily as a system for designing plot lines, and characterization.

I used to DM self created campaigns. You can pm or email me if you wish.

Edited by phore

Use the iching

Not kidding:-)

I fully intend to, actually. as well as Phi/Tau/whichever it is.

As well as other "mystic" sciences lol

Phore, PoKéMoN have 17 elements, if im not mistaken. Take a close look at the chart, it's a strength/weakness chart as well, but not detailed for that job. but consider the 5 element charts and how the creative/destructive cycles work:

Water applied to fire is destructive, yet fire applied to water is creative.

That is the element system i am using, however, the only "hiccup" i have right now is the tiers' elements arent linked to each other individually yet.

For example, Earth and Shadow, or magnetism and poison. Element dis/advangage between tiers is a little trickier.

Mind over matter makes "psychic strong against poison" logical lol

Lightning could have an advantage over fire, i think. If fire has an electrical charge...? i dunno, i havent played pokemon in a long time.

Im not familiar enough with the i ching to know how it would be implemented, but i am guessing A.I. and event handling.

But for what i have to work with, not a computer game yet, it could be good for plots, like you said.

The Bazi system sets up combos of elements (and other things) that act on each other to produce specifics.

I think it would be cool if you could organize it into a dodecahedron

280px-POV-Ray-Dodecahedron.svg.png

240px-Dodecahedron_flat.svg.png

This would make an epic game manual.

A spiral graph of the iching might be interesting too.

Edited by phore
  • Like 1

Bah, would love too ... but I've got an Ultima shard that I am currently avoiding writing code for :P

I'll have to stick your link in favorites and get back with ya when my noodle needs a change of pace!

Roleplaying game design .. an excellent means for developing Mental Fortitude! (ie: patience)

• Like 2

Patience indeed! I'll tell ya!

20 individual elements and respective patron spirits in 4 houses or tiers, each protected by a representative immortal, deity, or god/dess, plus the whole of all elements, houses, representatives, and patron spirits.

40 individual classes for 23 (27 counting sub-species-so-far) unique races each with their own unique advantages and inhibitors in the creation of their stats sheet of 13 user-defined stats which augment 11 (and rising) additional auxiliary stats

I've built races, stats, elements, spirits, and a handfull of class-specific elemental abilities, and havent even touched the generic 20 elemental branches of magic yet!

Typical things like summoning arctic wind, or levitating monolothic rocks and which element they classify as (Ice+Air, and either gravity or magnetism, in case you were wondering)

Furthermore, there is an entire system of life/death that is applied to the character creation system!

What i am personally anticipating is the introduction of the Android.
This is one of my favorites, because of what i have done to the android's stats algorithm.
Cant have/use spirit or mana ;) but there will be a system involved to allow an android to earn a soul and become able to...

I am seriously hoping we can pull our community together and organize, unify, and create something expressive, genuine, and true.

A video game, however cliché, will appeal to the largest audience available to target... and if we work together, there are surely enough of us to pull it off; An independently developed program as a wonder of the intellectual world.

well, the idea is to cram it full of hidden truths, mysticism, and science. Exemplification of the recreational nature of reality is my personal vendetta, but i was hoping we'd be the community to do it. the people with the power to code the new world's bible :lol:

Something liberating rater than binding!

This is not to be taken lightly, it is a megalithic project which will not bear fruit for many years yet to come, but i am eager and hopeful to see this community get its hands dirty in the gardens of thought by helping me plant the seeds of awareness.

Look, this is the "Heavy Metal" of video games... Bach started it on the organs, ozzy got it revamped with guitar and screaming, and now this ought to drive the point home with digital media and unity!

But i am definitely going to need the "oddjob" crew!

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant

got nothin to test except your math skillssss.

or.. actually, no. your patience in repeating redundant equations and spending an hour doing something a cpu could do in 2 seconds (if i knew how to code).

I could always spend time trying to learn how to... -_- maybe. i dunno, it seems rather daunting.

it would be a very good skill to have... depends on what you want though.

depends which world you want to engage...hmm

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

That's the point, pretty much, of role playing games, which is/are the ideal medium of transmission; however i lack the appropriate "heroic skills" to pull off a program. i have the algorithms being fine tuned and worked out, but when it comes to translating from idea to program, i am at a crippling loss.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this