Oolong Rabbit

New Interview with sifu Lin Aiwei

Hey guys,

I thought some of you might be interested in this. Please subscribe to the Time Monk Radio channel if you enjoyed it as we will be releasing several discussions with Lin sifu on various cultivation topics.

Any suggestions, topic requests, criticism welcomed.

Kind Regards

• Like 4

I started listening to the first one (really nice voice and way of explaining things:-)) And then around halfway my connection conked. I need to download the mp3.

Glad to see that the show is well taken.

Any suggestions as to topics are appreciated.

Peace and Blessings!

Lin

• Like 2

Lin,

I'd be interested in knowing of any methods to end rebirth in one lifetime that you are aware of, or if you could recommend teachers/masters that would have a definitive knowledge on this topic.

Masters from any culture or tradition.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 2

Lin,

I'd be interested in knowing of any methods to end rebirth in one lifetime that you are aware of, or if you could recommend teachers/masters that would have a definitive knowledge on this topic.

Masters from any culture or tradition.

WOW! Sure, but truthfully speaking, who would believe it, let alone actually practice it?

Either way, great suggestion. It will be utilized. AMITUOFO

• Like 2

The only path I know that even promises this as a result of practice is mo pai, I asked Master Wang of LMP the same question and was told I could cut the root of my spirit to end rebirth but was given no further instruction on the method to do so.

If I was certain a valid method existed it would be a no brainer to me to diligently practice it to end rebirth in this lifetime.

That's my motivation to stop it before I die and the cycle repeats.

The only path I know that even promises this as a result of practice is mo pai, I asked Master Wang of LMP the same question and was told I could cut the root of my spirit to end rebirth but was given no further instruction on the method to do so.

If I was certain a valid method existed it would be a no brainer to me to diligently practice it to end rebirth in this lifetime.

That's my motivation to stop it before I die and the cycle repeats.

I so want to go in depth right now, but all I can say in short is that there are direct methods to ending birth and death in one lifetime, and then the expedients which lead to the direct method.

Here is the direct method: "Put down the ego, get rid of defiling thoughts."

There are other direct methods, but I figure put one here that would be so simply written, but so disregarded, and mis-instructed, understood and difficult for the majority

The expedients are everything else...some take the long road, while others take shorter long roads.

Energy practices strenghten and refine your energy.The practicing of them, the process, builds concentration strength, thus leaving little oom for false thinking, desires, etc. But as long as the "I" remains, there is no ending of b and d. The direct method cuts through everything else.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1

Ah, I was meaning more meditation methods rather than psychological or moral methods.

Also if it's something you feel better discussed in private that works too, anytime you have some free time and could shoot me a message privately would be awesome.

Thanks

I so want to go in depth right now, but all I can say in short is that there are direct methods to ending birth and death in one lifetime, and then the expedients which lead to the direct method.

Here is the direct method: "Put down the ego, get rid of defiling thoughts."

There are other direct methods, but I figure put one here that would be so simply written, but so disregarded, and mis-instructed, understood and difficult for the majority

The expedients are everything else...some take the long road, while others take shorter long roads.

Edited by More_Pie_Guy
  • Like 1

Ah, I was meaning more meditation methods rather than psychological or moral methods.

Also if it's something you feel better discussed in private that works too, anytime you have some free time and could shoot me a message privately would be awesome.

Thanks

:D I meant nothing about morals and psychology, and meant everything in terms of full "mind body and spirit" cultivation.

I want to discuss it in the radio show, because so much to say, and no time to write. hahaha

The direct method is meditation, is contemplation, is qigong practice. The expedients used may include meditation, contemplation, qigong practice, etc.

Please don't take any offense to what I mean here, I mean no disrespect at all; your response to the direct method is exactly why there are expedient means. Its totally fine too, because that is exactly what is needed in our world...expedient means.

Every action, every sitting, walking, standing, talking, running, lying, cooking, showering, sitting on the bowl, etc... is your method for ending birth and death right on the spot. Today we recorded another show, and the topic was Discerning the Profound in the mundane. Its a two part show, one is a monologue, and the second will be a discussion on the lecture.

As for Qigong methods for ending birth and death, by the time the Qigong practice brings that result, one's family had already passed on, and the practitioner may be on their death bed. Who knows when one will end their cycle of b and d...only during their practice will they know.

• Like 1

I am looking more for a specific method rather than just live your life the best you can practice.

I do not believe just doing the best you can at life has any effect on stopping rebirth.

Are there any practices specifically you can point to, or if not any teachers that specifically focus on this?

:D I meant nothing about morals and psychology, and meant everything in terms of full "mind body and spirit" cultivation.

I want to discuss it in the radio show, because so much to say, and no time to write. hahaha

The direct method is meditation, is contemplation, is qigong practice. The expedients used may include meditation, contemplation, qigong practice, etc.

Please don't take any offense to what I mean here, I mean no disrespect at all; your response to the direct method is exactly why there are expedient means. Its totally fine too, because that is exactly what is needed in our world...expedient means.

Every action, every sitting, walking, standing, talking, running, lying, cooking, showering, sitting on the bowl, etc... is your method for ending birth and death right on the spot. Today we recorded another show, and the topic was Discerning the Profound in the mundane. Its a two part show, one is a monologue, and the second will be a discussion on the lecture.

As for Qigong methods for ending birth and death, by the time the Qigong practice brings that result, one's family had already passed on, and the practitioner may be on their death bed. Who knows when one will end their cycle of b and d...only during their practice will they know.

I am looking more for a specific method rather than just live your life the best you can practice.

I do not believe just doing the best you can at life has any effect on stopping rebirth.

Are there any practices specifically you can point to, or if not any teachers that specifically focus on this?

I understand what you are looking for :) Hence why a lengthy discussion on the direct method is needed. Nothing about living your life the best you can, for that will not help at all.

It will take some time to write it out, the methods I mean, or even go into vast details, so, I would prefer to go into details on the show, but defintely we can start an exclusive thread perhaps...?

Teachers.. I have not the slightest. But I would sincerely recommend the 6th Patriarch's Diamond Platform Sutra and the Shurangama Sutra, with commentary by Master Xuan Hua.

I find it so odd how many can not find the cultivation methods within the sutras... its such in plain sight, and still they are disregarded.

• Like 1

To end birth and death: retention practices, practice refining essence and "cultivate" yang energy practices, balance out karma both good and bad with wholesome deeds in body mouth and mind, put down the ego, and rid the mind of defiling thoughts. :)

Thank you for this conversation, it is very helpful and the topic is very important.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 1

People don't make progress in cultivation because thay never attain the right view, and are always holding on to other notions that actually inhibit their cultivation progress. They pursue superpowers and all sorts of other things other than to look for the base, the absolute nature, the foundational state, the Truth, the Buddha-nature from which we have mind, consciousness and awareness. How to find it? The practice words for the path are, "Let go, let go" while continuing to let conscioussness shine without restriction. You are always experiencing it." --William Bodri

Would you agree with this, Lin?

Its not about attaining the right view per say, but more of not attaching to any views that may arise along the path. Because one is always trying to theorize about how things are, and or creating views (ideas) about how things are based on the states they reach, they end up inhibiting their progress due to believing that they got it, or something close to it. Many people do indeed search out the "super powers" of ancients, thinking that some spiritual ability is a marker for realization, or wisdom and or even immortality and Buddhahood. In fact, they are very wrong, and spiritual powers are good for nothing. When these spiritual powers, whatever they may be, are understood as being a response from the cultivator's diligent practice and nothing special, then the ability "attained" is a good one, but is no way a marker of a sage.

The practice of “放下,放下” (fang xia, fang xia), or put down, put down; is indeed an important concept and practice. Anything that moves our mind, riles up our emotions and thoughts is a sign that we have attachments to such things, made views about them, and have never let them go. These things can hinder one's progress, and no matter how painful or happy the memories, or whatever one holds on to were, they still have to face them for what they are, and little by little, or right away, let them go.

There is much in terms of "put down, or let it go" and can be a detailed discussion. It would be nice to have that discussion here. :-)

So, I do agree with some things William Bodri says, and still would adjust some points as a commentary only because the mannerism of how the words are structured do not break through the questioning/discriminating mind of the readers.

• Like 4

Its not about attaining the right view per say, but more of not attaching to any views that may arise along the path. Because one is always trying to theorize about how things are, and or creating views (ideas) about how things are based on the states they reach, they end up inhibiting their progress due to believing that they got it, or something close to it. Many people do indeed search out the "super powers" of ancients, thinking that some spiritual ability is a marker for realization, or wisdom and or even immortality and Buddhahood. In fact, they are very wrong, and spiritual powers are good for nothing. When these spiritual powers, whatever they may be, are understood as being a response from the cultivator's diligent practice and nothing special, then the ability "attained" is a good one, but is no way a marker of a sage.

Quoted and bolded for Awesome.

• Like 2

I think what Matt is asking for Lin is if you could elaborate on the most complicated method you know What you provided was too simple to be effective. :D

I am just teasing you Matt (kind of), but it's coming from the heart bro. As long as you have attachments to the siddhis, you are not likely going to get off the ferris wheel.

Check this video out:

Edited by Oolong Rabbit
  • Like 1

I think what Matt is asking for Lin is if you could elaborate on the most complicated method you know What you provided was too simple to be effective. :D

I am just teasing you Matt (kind of), but it's coming from the heart bro. As long as you have attachments to the siddhis, you are not likely going to get off the ferris wheel.

Check this video out:

hahahaha

I think that's the thing - for those of us that have read something like taoist yoga intensively, it leaves one feeling "how the heck could this ALL possibly arise naturally, without guided intent-knowledge&assistance, simply from conquering these aspects of the mind..."

combined with

there appears to be some sort of energetic threshold, almost like a coefficient of friction to overcome, and so long as you're under that, the friction prevents you from leaving the wheel....of course that is an overly simplified generalization, but the jist is there, yangshen or best correlation.

and dont forget, getting it done before the present journey is completed :D expedience, and all that good stuff, hehe

I think that's the thing - for those of us that have read something like taoist yoga intensively, it leaves one feeling "how the heck could this ALL possibly arise naturally, without guided intent-knowledge&assistance, simply from conquering these aspects of the mind..."

combined with

there appears to be some sort of energetic threshold, almost like a coefficient of friction to overcome, and so long as you're under that, the friction prevents you from leaving the wheel....of course that is an overly simplified generalization, but the jist is there, yangshen or best correlation.

and dont forget, getting it done before the present journey is completed :D expedience, and all that good stuff, hehe

Then my answer would be to stick with one method for an extended period of time without question; and make sure the method doesn't highlight states, sensations, realizations and abilities as a marker.

From what I know that is, is just single minded concentration. Done through breath, done through investigation, contemplation, recitation, bowing without views, walking, sitting, lying or standing (yes, in zhan zhuang and even with your feet/legs together, hands touching at palms at the heart level.)

This methods will break through any stagnancy, or delusions in the mind in one's life and practice. Why? Because it simply does (especially since it is non-discriminating mind; thus that inner wisdom shines, and the realization/learning begins).

• Like 1