alleswasderfallist

Debunking Spring Forest Qigong Healing

Hope that title got your attention :)

I was searching for some research articles on Spring Forest Qigong, particularly external Qi healing (or even better, distance healing) to show my dad, who has several serious health issues.

I came across this little doozie, published by 'An American Atheist'. One of our esteemed forum members is mentioned.

http://anamericanatheist.org/2011/10/29/investigating-woo-spring-forest-qigong-research/

The debunking is half-assed at best. But more interestingly, what's with the fight he's picking? Does being an atheist make one an establishment blowing materialist? I have nothing against criticism and peer review; but like I said, this person is calling evidence 'anecdotal' because it's subjective (and it has to be, by nature of the study and variety of cases treated).

I guess I just wanted to gripe a bit at the whole 'skeptic' culture. I don't think I've met any real skeptics who call themselves skeptics. Persons I would call skeptics realize that the mind is the least skeptical of all things. Similarly, most people I've met in awe of their own 'atheist' status are fanatically religious in defending their notion of reality, which they've every reason to believe will be reduced to superstition by the progress of the next 100 years.

Sorry if this has been shared before.

The best place to get info on Spring Forest Qigong is probably the LearningStrategies website. First read about the Spring Forest Qigong product itself - and then spend some time in their SFQ forum. After a few days you should have a better idea of what SFQ can do. You can also posts questions that will be answered.

Hope that title got your attention :)

I was searching for some research articles on Spring Forest Qigong, particularly external Qi healing (or even better, distance healing) to show my dad, who has several serious health issues.

I came across this little doozie, published by 'An American Atheist'. One of our esteemed forum members is mentioned.

http://anamericanatheist.org/2011/10/29/investigating-woo-spring-forest-qigong-research/

The debunking is half-assed at best. But more interestingly, what's with the fight he's picking? Does being an atheist make one an establishment blowing materialist? I have nothing against criticism and peer review; but like I said, this person is calling evidence 'anecdotal' because it's subjective (and it has to be, by nature of the study and variety of cases treated).

I guess I just wanted to gripe a bit at the whole 'skeptic' culture. I don't think I've met any real skeptics who call themselves skeptics. Persons I would call skeptics realize that the mind is the least skeptical of all things. Similarly, most people I've met in awe of their own 'atheist' status are fanatically religious in defending their notion of reality, which they've every reason to believe will be reduced to superstition by the progress of the next 100 years.

Sorry if this has been shared before.

ummm.....

yeah -- that website is a couple of undergraduates.

So -- you gotta figure - they're trying to pay for their schooling so they have to suck it up to the "rational" worldview in order to increase their job chances, etc.

Debt-slaves. I don't blame them!

Of course their reasoning is sketchy - but the thing is that qigong, yoga, alchemy, etc. is based on logical inference which is what Socrates taught but otherwise it's not really recognized by Western philosophy, logic, etc. Except for phenomenology.

Anyway consider for example U of MInnesota biology professor P.Z. Myers - he's rated the "top" science blogger but he's also a rabid NeoDarwinist promoter of Richard Dawkins - and Myers is big on the atheist skeptic bandwagon -- like James Randi, etc.

So Myers is in Minnesota right? So maybe he would go check out Chunyi Lin for himself? I mean Chunyi Lin has a successful healing clinic and Chunyi Lin is working with the Mayo Clinic, one of the top rate hospitals in the world!

Nope. Instead PZ Myers just dismisses qigong as fake, etc. and he doesn't even consider the "gold standard" science study.

haha. It's really pretty amazing if you think about it. The scientists are afraid - -well not all of them -- but the most loud-mouthed ones. haha.

So Dr. Ann Vincent, Dr. Neil Kay, Dr. Nisha Manek - they're all Mayo Clinic doctors on record saying that Spring forest Qigong works, is impressive, etc.

Ummm.....

Anyway as for me "not making sense" - and "giving Spring Forest Qigong a bad name" -- yeah of course I don't make sense and I give Spring Forest Qigong a bad name! That's the beauty of free speech! haha.

It is a complex world -- I mean having contradictory concepts at the same time leads to all sorts of fun.

I'd be happy to parse out that tweet for you - but I mean tweets are "concise" -- which means you come from Planet Mars -- so reference Chomsky.

I'll just let Chomsky take over for how to not make sense and give a bad name to things, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQhEBCWMe44

Who cares if modern science can prove anything about Qi Gong? Modern science can only give us material knowledge.

Nothing exists unless it can be subjected to MY tests. Really? This is the most obscene expression of human ego, and lacks creativity.

Think about mathematics, the basis of all science, that accepts (under platonic theory) that all abstract mathematical forms exist in their own world somewhere. Yet materialism pervades- if it can't be observed than it doesn't exist. But where are all of these infinite mathematical forms that we made up?

Those in the medical field have their egos blown out of proportion by the amount of school they are required to attend, their inflated salaries, and all their "rigorous clinical testing". It just kills the ability to think outside of convention. I am afraid many research scientists enter the field for egoistic and social status reasons rather than to help advance human knowledge.

I think it's time we accept as a society that the scientific method is limited, and that if we ever want to escape our self imposed prison we need a more creative approach to reality.

Edited by oildrops

Sorry for that rant. I am surrounded all day by the types of people who really want to do good in the world, but have been abducted by the self congratulatory vacuum of research science.

The following book: There is a River: The Story of Edgar Cayce by Thomas J. Sugrue, Edgar Cayce is an excellent book and an interesting read from the standpoint of understanding that the so called science community simply cannot and will not tolerate this sort of "non-sense".

Even what appears to be toleration - is dis-ingenuous in the sense of any real push to incorporate it or treat it in a way that is not something like a parent tolerates adolescent experimentation.

I have great hope for the Eastern Medical practices - because over there - East does meet West - they have centuries old medicine and they have heart transplants. You have arthritis - you go on a fast and get rid of it. Lack vitality - take up Tai Chi or Qi Gong. They have hospitals using Qi.

Spirit is a part of medicine in the East - here at best - God - may be invoked but the doctors here for the most part see it as a placebo effect that cannot hurt and "can give them some comfort" (even if it is a pipe dream).