vivekji108

Yoga & Qigong - Compared (by you)

I have done yoga for many years and practice it daily. from 30 min to 2 hours depending on time.

As well doing some basic pranayama exercises without retention...

How can the practice of qigong enrich my life further...

What can Qigong that Yoga & Pranayama can not?

I'm highly interested in starting a healthy discussion about this :)

Vivek

How can the practice of qigong enrich my life further...

What can Qigong that Yoga & Pranayama can not?

further to where?

Is there anything missing from your yoga practice? If not, why do you look for another practice? If so, can you tell us what you want that your yoga practice can't give to you?

• Like 1

Hydrogen,

The journey never ends...

So for me until enlightenment is archived you can always go further.. :)

Not to play with words here because "enlightenment" is a very debated topic...

V

On another note..

After I have read about Qigong it seems to me that the most important part of qigong is to collect the Qi / Prana through the movements and meditation / focus and become a storehouse of energy... correct?

Seems pretty similar to me to the path of yoga, prananyama and meditation....

Any thoughts?

Hydrogen,

I'm not enlightened. I don't know the path.

I can tell you where I am and my experience so far.

For me, the first most important thing is "realization" of nature of this world. I've seen this world as illusion. The world emptyness is tossed around by everyone. However the realization is not a world should be used lightly. It could change the brain organization.

The second important thing is that me isn't really what I thought I was. The "me" is just a result of conditioning/training. This is a very hard concept to actual "realize".

Pavlov's conditioned reflex experiment is a very simple and extremely clever demonstration of how I was "made".

In one of my meditation, I went through the process of reconstruct my vision. It gave me the clear idea that what I "see" was a result of my "brain" processing a bunch of "information"/energy.

Now I'm trying to figure out the real "me".

Some people advocate to cut the root of "ego" or to kill your "ego". I can't do that for I have to make a living to support myself and my family. Those poeple probably have enough money in the bank or make a living by telling others how to live. I can't follow their advice though it might work for some.

I like tao approach better. I'm just live in the moment with mindfulness when I remember.

I'm sorry my answer seems to be irrelevant to your question. That's best I can do at this moment.

Sooner or later you'll figure out anybody can answer your question but yourself.

The difference that I see between Qigong and Yoga is:
1. Yoga seems to have lots of stressful movements of the body parts. It is more Yang(hard) than Yin(soft).

2. Qigong is much more refine and Yin(soft) exercise. It involves breathing and graceful movements of the arms and legs in the Dynamic Qigong. In the sitting position, know as "Static Qigong", is very quiet, peaceful, and relaxation in the state of serenity.

• Like 1

In your Yoga practice, do you experience the kundalini energy rising? Same as in Chi Kung, can you gather and guide the chi to circulate in your body? If neither, neither practice would matter.

To the best of my knowledge, the development of Chi Kung was derived from the breathing method of Yoga. From what had been said, here, to answer your question. Yes, Chi Kung can gather and guide the chi to circulate in the body. I believe that was the main purpose of Chi Kung.

To the best of my knowledge, the development of Chi Kung was derived from the breathing method of Yoga. From what had been said, here, to answer your question. Yes, Chi Kung can gather and guide the chi to circulate in the body. I believe that was the main purpose of Chi Kung.

The only difference is that how and where to move this chi or kundalini energy. Our hipster culture is very often associating Yoga with body stretching or Chi Kung with breathing exercise with or without slow movements. :)

• Like 1

I practice, what i will temporarily name, Yggdrasil Yoga: Yggdrasil is the uniting body of the physical plane and bears ALL vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices, melons, nuts, flowers, petals, leaves, roots, and tubers, so practicing every body-work-practice would be comparable to Yggdrasil.

The Phoenix is the mental/spiritual equivalent of Yggdrasil's physical/emotional practices.

Yoga supports qigong, and qigong yoga.

Pranayama is aimed at other things but can likewise be supportive.

Not seperate... similar but different.

• Like 1

I think theres lots of different types of yoga and lots of types of qigong too. At higher levels they kind of blend together closer and closer. I guess it depends what teacher you have and what you are taught, what you read and how you go about your practice.

If your muscles are tight, do stretching yoga, if your mind body movement coordination is bad do tai chi. I have got some real good exercises from yoga teachers from videos and off the internet that do the same thing that i do in qigong but at a slightly different angle that is more appropriate for me. I think once you have a good understanding from one path and have some idea of how things work, you can pick and choose bits and pieces from wherever you like and make it your own.

As to the mental part, well i think either way you still reach the same peak of the mountain. It just depends if you prefer to take the sloped path, the steps, the ski lift or just wander your way up through the rocks. Whatever appeals to you will draw you towards that path.

I would strongly discourage someone who regularly practices yoga to drop it and go to qigong because sure you will have lots of cool stuff happen while learning qigong, but you will realise how much you already had when lose it from stopping your yoga practice.

• Like 2

There is ancient practice which combines together qigong, yoga and martial art. This is Korean Kouk- Sun- Do.

This is first sub level which is working with physical body and consists of 25 positions. 5 for each of elements.

There are 9 levels. Work with tan tiens and MCO.

At the end practitioner opens up skin breath. There are many people in Korea who practice it and have many benefits of it.

Some people at the age of 70 look 40-50.

It was practiced by hermits in mountains and they believe it is the root practice for qigong and yoga. There are no "yang" hatha yoga and no pranayama but there are elements akin to yin yoga and 10 seconds breath with retention on later stages.

It is not commercial western yoga but high level Yoga and neikung.

Hydrogen,

V

There are lots of stories about this, but my favorite is about the guy that roams around the country searching for enlightenment. Everywhere he goes, he asks people if they know what enlightenment is and how it is obtained.

Well, after many years of searching and asking, he starts to know what enlightenment isn't and recognizes the same old people that are not enlightened, but say they are.

Finally, one day he happens upon this old man hunched over, carrying a huge bundle of sticks on his back, coming down a mountain trail and he instinctively knows that this man is enlightened, just by his ora and the way he carries himself. He quickly walks up to the man and asks "please sir, I can tell just by looking at you, that you have attained enlightenment, could you tell me the secret of enlightenment?"

The old man looks up, with a penetrating stare, for a few moments, then suddenly drops the bundle of sticks to ground and slowly stands up straight and beams a great smile at the guy. They both stand there motionless, for several seconds, until finally, the guy says, " OH I get it." He finally understands, but then he gets a blank look on his face and he looks at the old man again and says, "But what comes after enlightenment?" The old man throws him a wink, picks up the bundle of sticks and walks on down the mountain path.

I don't know if the choice of practice matters, just do what works best for you. The worst choice is to collect practices like trophies and is certainly not the path to enlightenment. :)

• Like 2

I don't know if the choice of practice matters, just do what works best for you. The worst choice is to collect practices like trophies and is certainly not the path to enlightenment. :)

Yes enlightenment may be the end of the search of truth, but you can continue to collect trophies forever. Sometimes it is fun to enjoy collecting and to lose yourself so you can search out the truth again.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I was hoping this discussion would go more in to a theoretical direction..

Anywayz thanks for all the input :)

There are many discussions about the subject already in the past posts. It would be a tedious repetition to go over it again and again. If you have the time, you may scroll through the Taoist Discussion and General Discussion sections. I had posted lots of posts about the subject of Chi Kung.

It's 99% practice :)

I like Ashtanga yoga for the effect the asana have on the physical body. But it's much more difficult to practice with injuries, I find tai chi more accessable to more people

• Like 1

Guest Jason Croft

Enlightenment comes in many forms - with the first being meditation whereas :::

When Such a vast body of information is being downloaded to your mind

Without the primary function of a receptive source requirement being an empty, receptive mind, how can a secondary source begin ?

Edited by Jason Croft

Guest Jason Croft

Free Books that point the way Just Google the titles below and download the books.

Autobiography of a Yoga

Raja Yoga

Neiye, Inner Cultivation

Translation © 2005 - Shazi Daoren

Brought to you care of

http://www.thetaobums.com

I don't think Qigong or Yoga have much to do with enlightenment, at least not in the way they are commonly taught, they are usually just health exercises. Jenny Lamb says the same thing and she is a teacher. As other people have said Yoga is more Yang and Qigong Yin, so Qigong is probably better at helping you tune into the energy and messages of your body while yoga is probably better physical exercise. Which is better for your health I don't know, I am tempted to say Qigong as it provides exercise with no stress on the body yet I see no evidence Qigong masters are healthier than Yoga masters, many Qigong masters are going bald or have a pot belly, and I don't know if either exercise is better than say running or walking to be honest.

• Like 1

It's 99% practice :)

I like Ashtanga yoga for the effect the asana have on the physical body. But it's much more difficult to practice with injuries, I find tai chi more accessable to more people

I just have looked around for the yoga stretches and pranayam and stumbled upon ashtanga yoga. But it seems to be more physical approach which is very yang. Also I have stumbled upon yin yoga by Sarah Powers which is actually derived from dao yin but combined with Indian and buddhism approach and explained more in TCM semantics what I personally was looking for.

I don't think Qigong or Yoga have much to do with enlightenment, at least not in the way they are commonly taught, they are usually just health exercises. Jenny Lamb says the same thing and she is a teacher. As other people have said Yoga is more Yang and Qigong Yin, so Qigong is probably better at helping you tune into the energy and messages of your body while yoga is probably better physical exercise. Which is better for your health I don't know, I am tempted to say Qigong as it provides exercise with no stress on the body yet I see no evidence Qigong masters are healthier than Yoga masters, many Qigong masters are going bald or have a pot belly, and I don't know if either exercise is better than say running or walking to be honest.

You can do both jogging and yogging. Yoga and ChiKung. There is Yin Yoga (Dao Yin) which is good for flexibility and health.

Yoga can be spiritual even if you do not have enlightened teacher in Himalayas. Yoga is not asana only. There are many other spiritual techniques sucj as pranayama and meditations.