Sign in to follow this  
mewtwo

solipsism?

Well, they'd both consider it delusional and arrogant, I expect; if by solipsism you mean the idea that 'I am the only person/thing in existence'.

Edited by Seeker of the Self

sol·ip·sism (s l p-s z m, s l p-). n. Philosophy. 1. The theory that the self is the only thing that can be known and verified

Using this definition I figure it could be acceptible to some buddhists some taoists and some western philosophers.

My understanding is that Daoism is a feeling that life is ever changing and we are all part of this change. It is indivisible and ever flowing. Thus, we feel what we feel as we flow through duration of time. If someone feels that they can only know himself/herself then that is where that person is as part of her/his journey. If I feel that I am experiencing something with someone else (e.g. a forum discussion) and this is what we can know about each other, via this exchange) then this is my journey. It is just different journeys. Solipsism is just an aspect of the universe that is evolving.

Solipsism is an impregnable epistemological position. Although it is often mistaken for the belief that only 'I' exist, it is not really about and ego or individual person being the only thing in existence. Rather, it is about the fact that it is impossible to know anything other than what one knows--ie, direct experience of one's own existence. Skepticism about 'other minds' ends up with the very idea being discarded, as it is not required for a coherent picture of reality.

I think the Buddhist view of solipsism would be 'don't get caught up in words', in other words, don't worry about it. It may or may not be 'true' metaphysically, but whether or not it is doesn't impact the path of cultivation. If you still want to achieve Buddha-results you will still have to put in Buddha-work, even if you are the only 'actual' center of existence that exists.

A Taoist perspective might say something similar.

8)

what is taoism and buddhism and your oppinion on solipsism?

Solipsism doesn't apply to neither Taoism nor Buddhism.

The idea of solipsism assumes the domain of the self to be a given condition; giving it the impregnable quality Astral Monk refers to.

But the classical texts refering to the Tao speak of 'being your self' as not a given but the result of perseverance and insight.

Zhuanzi provides an apt example:

When I pronounce men to be good, I am not speaking of their benevolence and righteousness; the goodness is simply (their possession of) the qualities (of the Dao). When I pronounce them to be good, I am not speaking of what are called benevolence and righteousness; but simply of their allowing the nature with which they are endowed to have its free course. When I pronounce men to be quick of hearing, I do not mean that they hearken to anything else, but that they hearken to themselves; when I pronounce them to be clear of vision, I do not mean that they look to anything else, but that they look to themselves.

Now those who do not see themselves but see other things, who do not get possession of themselves but get other things, get possession of what belongs to others, and not of what is their own; and they reach forth to what attracts others, and not to that in themselves which should attract them. But thus reaching forth to what attracts others and not to what should attract them in themselves, be they like the robber Zhi or like Boy-yi, they equally err in the way of excess or of perversity. What I am ashamed of is erring in the characteristics of the Dao, and therefore, in the higher sphere, I do not dare insist on the practice of benevolence and righteousness, and in the lower, I do not dare to allow myself either in the excercise of excess or perversity.

When measured against the quoted standard, the solipsist is a thief who has stolen the world itself. Nobody can steal it back from him but nobody would give him anything for it in exchange.

Sign in to follow this