Owledge

Han-shot-first controversy

OK, this is not new, but I'd like to make some comment on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Han_shot_first

Not really a controversy I'd say since Lucas contradicts himself - quite pathetic actually.

A good use of the DVD feature of alternate versions you can access. Why not continue this on the BluRay?!

Anyway, and this is probably just another piece of evidence that Lucas is talking bullshit:

Did it bother anyone else that Han shot first at Vader? In the cloud city, when the door opened, Han saw Vader and immediately fired his gun. Vader deflected the shots and took Han's gun, but had Vader not reacted that quickly, Han would have killed him right there without any dramatic prelude.

This might be just a common movie tool where something horrible is considered alright simply because it ended up not happening, as if the motivation/intention doesn't count at all, but compare the two situations:

Vader - OK, I don't have to elaborate on him being a prime villain and what he did, but he's not a permanent cold-blodded murder machine that needs to be stopped in his tracks - he's an elaborate villain character. So Han shooting at him doesn't count that clearly as self-defense, although personally I'd probably have done the same.

Now Han shooting at Greedo: Remember that Han expressed to Greedo that he would not be taken to Jabba alive, and Greedo's reply made clear thad he would kill him. That was a climax of tension - Han could expect Greedo to kill him any moment, so him shooting first was no more morally questionable than him shooting at Vader. Also, Greddo's bountry-hunter character can be seen as in the same area of badness than Vader. Both have no problem leaving a trail of corpses - one does it for dominance, the other for money. Both stinks.

The scene where Han shot at Vader was never altered.

Poor George Lucas - This is what political correctness does to people.

Edited by Owledge
  • Like 1

Han's character isn't that disreputable. Look, he has a great sense of caring & hospitality.

35471101512567069874772.jpg

Awwww, pooch!

You know, I have to credit Star Wars with planting the first seeds of the 'something exists that is bigger than us' aspect of spirituality into my youth, demonstrating that there is an underlying living interactive matrix behind the threads of all creation. But back to the topic at Han, I mean topic at hand.

The whole lead up to the Mos Eisely scene was to introduce Han Solo's character in such a way as to draw attention to his dubious, swindling and self serving nature.

Obi Wan stated famously "Mos Eisely, you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious". There was no indication of Han having anything other than the shallow character that he had presented, including shooting Greedo first, and taking off with his reward from the Rebel Base on Yavin leaving Luke, Leia, and the rebels quite possibly to their ominous doomed fate in the final hours of their make or break dilemma against the Empire. He was purposefully shown to have absolutely no moral fibre right up until the final moments of the movie when he saves the day by clearing Luke's run to the exhaust vent where he is able to blow up the Death Star.

Han is dodgy as hell. Han's story is about showing a man who believes in nothing coming around to believe in something. Redemption of character. Belief in hope. It is important that he shoots first. Full stop.

Watch the lead up here:

And the incident here:

Edited by Sanzon

I know this thread is about Han, but to expand upon Star Wars characters of ill repute, I want to draw a little attention to the character of R2-D2. There is more than meets the eye.

51026429.jpg

Beneath you will find a very revealing 3 part documentary on the life & times of R2-D2, containing interviews from George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, the main actors in the Star Wars Trilogies, detailing their relationship with R2-D2 on and off screen, and his career aspirations starting off attempting to land acting roles in Shakespeare & on Broadway, his celebrity with the rise of Star Wars, and letting success go to his head, battling alcohol, womanising, and many other personal issues. Riveting stuff.

Edited by Sanzon
  • Like 1

Sounds a bit like Bender.

Will check out videos later.

EDIT: Video website is weird. Doesn't play on any of my browsers.

Edited by Owledge

Try these on Youtube......

I have replaced the previous links above with this one also.

Edited by Sanzon

Will watch it later. I just visited the main page on youtube and the featured video had Vader say: "We would he honored if you would join us." Ouch! How can they, the official Lucasarts Star Wars page, use such bad English in connection with a dramatic theme like that?!

Will watch it later. I just visited the main page on youtube and the featured video had Vader say: "We would he honored if you would join us." Ouch! How can they, the official Lucasarts Star Wars page, use such bad English in connection with a dramatic theme like that?!

Whaaaat? Looks like Disney is laming up the dark side already.

Try this for a tournament, Vader.......

http://youtu.be/RFN_n-ZjTFU

Edited by Sanzon

Try these on Youtube......

I have replaced the previous links above with this one also.

I found it surprisingly boring. :lol:

Edited by Owledge

Well, we are adults hyping up kids stuff after all, right? :D

vintagebluesnaggletooth.jpg

Edited by Sanzon