Sign in to follow this  
Friend

Seeking advice on change key in MP3

Have you ever worked with a .wav file editor? A good editor will allow you to make many sound modifications to your music. There are free downloads for comversion (MP3 to .wav) and then after editting convert back.

The editor "Audacity" used to be a free download. I am still using CoolEdit 96 that I bought in 1997 but it is no longer available because Adobe bought it and then just let it die and never supported it after they bought it.

So you say working with .wav is easier?

What a question! I can't answer that as I have never tried to edit an MP3 file.

Reason: if at all possible I always start off with a .wav file from a raw recording because these files are not compressed. When you compress a file, into whatever format, information is lost and can never be recovered. Now it is true that most people would never notice the missing information, however, your parameters while editting will be reduced.

Once a sound file is compressed it can never be uncompressed.

Now, granted, much of today's music is initially saved in MP3 format. But still, to the best of my knowledge, converting them to .wav will allow for more manipulation. However, I am ignorant of the MP3 editing programs as I have never considered using them.

Ok I found the function : i

That's great!

Song => effect => change pitch and select the key . I have put it from C to E or is there something I have to be aware of?

Audicity can edit directly.

Ouch. I can't answer your question as I never used Audacity that much. But yes, pitch change can be done to the entire file. I have used it a number of times with CoolEdit.

CoolEdit has two different modes for pitch change. I normally use the easy way as this does what I want to do (but I do sometimes have to do it 3 or 4 times before I get what I want.

Editing music can be a lot of fun but it can also be very time consuming if you start messing around a lot.

Thank you the case is solved.

Yea!!!

Your next project is to take a song you like, break it into sections, duplicate some of the sections and change the parameters, put the song back together and end up with the song being twice as long as it was originally.

Sign in to follow this