DiamondEyE

Immortals

So theres a recent topic called Ultimate Goal, and it left me curious, so i wanted to bring it up in a new topic.

From my understanding of spiritual traditions around the world, there is always that person in the tradition who has reached the perfection of the teachings.

For instance you have the shaman who is in communion with the spirits.

The MahaSiddhas of india and Vajrayana traditions.

The saint in christianity.

The awliya in sufism

The prema bhakti in bhakti marg.

The holy ones of qabalah

Etc etc.

So to me it seems that the immortal is the one who has become one with the Tao.

Im new to this spiritual tradition so im still learning.

My question is who in recent times in considered an immortal?

Is there a way to identify who is an immortal like with rainbow body?

Can the immortals take on emanation bodies or things of that nature?

Thanks, please dont be to cryptic. I get confused easily.

• Like 4

The legend says that the realized immortals can stare at sun without hurting their eyes and they don't have shadow. I don't know if the shadow is physical shadow or something else because most of the stories are symbolic.

• Like 1

i have not read it but i have seen (tho you may have too) a book called "the magus of java" cant remeber the offer but he is supposedly one of these modern immortals if i understood correctly tho again its in my cue not even started it yet..

Most likely not going to tell the whole world. Live quietly and keep a low profile like some of those Forest Thai arahants.

I think the need to go public only appears in cases of necessity, to benefit humanity i.e. if the Dhar(m)a was no longer known on this plane.

Thats what i thought, just wondered if there was someone in the know. Probably wont hear about it via the net

Thats what i thought, just wondered if there was someone in the know. Probably wont hear about it via the net

Depends how you define immortal -- there are various kinds in Taoism.

But I would say Chunyi Lin is an immortal on some level and also his teacher Master Zhang of http://qigongmaster.com

Chunyi Lin said he knew of masters with the golden aura but they remain in the mountains of China.

I would think Yan Xin would qualify on some level and also Wang, Liping.

• Like 1

Depends how you define immortal -- there are various kinds in Taoism.

But I would say Chunyi Lin is an immortal on some level and also his teacher Master Zhang of http://qigongmaster.com

Chunyi Lin said he knew of masters with the golden aura but they remain in the mountains of China.

I would think Yan Xin would qualify on some level and also Wang, Liping.

Yea I think there are many immortals walking on this planet as living human beings and some of them teach even in the west. Chunyi Lin surely seems like one :P

I think there is a great disparison between the Mo Pai like immortals and other immortals, atleast in the description. Maybe they are the same, but to me it sounds very different to start opening 72 "chakras/knots/whatever" than to turn jing into chi and chi into shen, come up with an immortal embryo and then let it merge with the cosmos. Also it sounds quite stupid that only the people who posses a golden aura could become immortals. Doesn't add up with all the other literature that talks about internal alchemy and immortality.

Then theres the third question, which is between Buddhist enlightenment and immortality, because the Taoist masters who were also Buddhist masters say it is all the same. This is a very nice thought and it could be taken further by saying that all the great mystics of all religions are the same as immortal. Great shamans, saints, Sufis etc.

From what I've read on these forums and from a few books, I have come to the conclusion that reaching Tao is pretty much the same as enlightenment and basicly anyone could do that with enough effort, right techniques and a teacher. But from that point on there is still a world to discover. So the deeper you go into Tao the more powerful as an immortal you will be. So at first it might only be that you are one with the Tao, but if you stay 10 years on a mountain and continue your practice, you'll eventually be able to manipulate matter at will. This is where Buddhism and Taoism differs, atleast if you are not talking about the Tibetan lineages.

• Like 1

Yea I think there are many immortals walking on this planet as living human beings and some of them teach even in the west. Chunyi Lin surely seems like one :P

-there are! and new ones are being born (through practice)and more often than you think!

I think there is a great disparison between the Mo Pai like immortals and other immortals, atleast in the description. Maybe they are the same, but to me it sounds very different to start opening 72 "chakras/knots/whatever" than to turn jing into chi and chi into shen, come up with an immortal embryo and then let it merge with the cosmos. Also it sounds quite stupid that only the people who posses a golden aura could become immortals. Doesn't add up with all the other literature that talks about internal alchemy and immortality.

-there is no difference! immortals become immortal due to these energy practices. the process of turning jing into chi, and chi into shen is how you open up the chakra system to its fullest potential. doing so will allow your consiousness to merge withe the cosmos at higher levels of awareness. and the golden aura comes from developing your energy to heights you cant imagine! the literature dosent add up because there is alot of half assed teachers who quote high level information and have nevermade it to high level. and cant understand it because they havent put the time in to build their energies up to understand the knowledge.

Then theres the third question, which is between Buddhist enlightenment and immortality, because the Taoist masters who were also Buddhist masters say it is all the same. This is a very nice thought and it could be taken further by saying that all the great mystics of all religions are the same as immortal. Great shamans, saints, Sufis etc.

-when it comes to religion, only follow knowledge!

From what I've read on these forums and from a few books, I have come to the conclusion that reaching Tao is pretty much the same as enlightenment and basicly anyone could do that with enough effort, right techniques and a teacher. But from that point on there is still a world to discover. So the deeper you go into Tao the more powerful as an immortal you will be. So at first it might only be that you are one with the Tao, but if you stay 10 years on a mountain and continue your practice, you'll eventually be able to manipulate matter at will. This is where Buddhism and Taoism differs, atleast if you are not talking about the Tibetan lineages.

-and yes you are rite with the rite knowledge anything is possible anything! but you dont always need a teacher. there are plenty of ppl who have made scientific progress who never went to college. and were self taught. tao and enlightenment is the same thing, but you must remember there are different levels of truth and knowledge. correction, from that point there is a universe to discover. and you have it a little backwards. you have to develop your energy, the more you develop your energy the deeper you can go into the tao! this is because your mind, body, and spirit has the energy to percieve new knowledge information. the more energy you have sustains your immortality and allows you to become more powerful!

that what was said about mo pai above is not necessarily true. We know that at level 30 one is truly immortal with the fetus having been born. That is traditional dao alchemy. According to Chang, Zhang Seng Feng who is an immortal made it up to level 72. If one is immortal at level 30 one can only imagine what happens at 72!

• Like 1

I have met with an Immortal. That was when I was in Taiwan and about 20++ years ago on a rain swept road.

He did not have a rainbow body. But he altered my life since then.

Why he came to me I did not know. I guess I never ever will know.

Try to find time to read of that account.

Your guess is as good if not better than mine.

Fragments of earlier memories of Taiwan

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/111670.html

Idiotic Taoist

• Like 1

I asked Chunyi Lin if he had created a "yang spirit" and he said once when he was in deep meditation in his house in China that later people that were outside said they saw his physical body....

This happens with bilocation -- like with Poonjaji -- an Indian advaita master - he created multiple physical bodies but was not aware he did it at the time - only confirmed afterwards.

So anyway however people want to analyze it -- the level of energy depends on how much you store up and how much you heal others, etc.

• Like 1

I have met with an Immortal.  That was when I was in Taiwan and about 20++ years ago on a rain swept road.

He did not have a rainbow body.  But he altered my life since then.

Why he came to me I did not know.  I guess I never ever will know.

Try to find time to read of that account.

Your guess is as good if not better than mine.

Fragments of earlier memories of Taiwan

http://shanlung.livejournal.com/111670.html

Idiotic Taoist

Perhaps it might be a telling of me to let go.

Those who read above would have known that Immortal I met gave me a momento of a Milofor.in 1991 

4386066585_631a06e205_z.jpg

That was always with me. kept in my backpack which you have seen in almost all my blogs.

Then in  Oct 2014 , I was in Nepal Khatmandu.  I stayed there a while to enjoy that city after an absence of 30 years or so.  That was also about the time of the Dashain, a festival that celebrate the victory of good over evil.  So naturally I stayed on for that delaying my going to Pokhara and going on the Annapunna trek.  The 8th day of Dashain , Maha Ashtami: Wednesday, 21-10-2015 , was a big day that involved in the beheading of countless buffalos and goats.  I was at that 30 years ago.  In the days when cameras are loaded with rolls of 36 shots and this time I had electronic camera loaded with countless shots.

I was in the Khatmandu Durbar Square and on top platform of one of the pavilions.

My money and passport was in body belt and pouch hang on my neck.  My backpack had nothing of value compared to what I that I had safely on my body.  That backpack still had about 3-400USD I considered as loose change of SGD and Malaysian Ringgits, and tele photo lense of my Olympus.

I left the backpack on the ground next to my leg as I sat on the step.  A commotion came and the Kumari, the living Goddess of Nepal was walking.  Since she was a Goddess and her feet must not touch the ground.  So they were placing rolls of silk on the ground and a huge crowd was around her.

Even on top of the platform, I could barely see her.  I stood up to try to get some shots of her.  It was only a couple of seconds.  And in that couple of seconds my bag was gone.

I cared little for the money left in the bag or the telephoto lens.  My priceless Milofor was in that bag.

Maybe thrown away after they strip it of money, tele lens and my Buck folding knife.

I made offer of 1000 USD for the return via the friendly staff of the place in stayed in (Secret Garden).  I was actually prepared to pay more, 5 times more.

I have to accept eventually that I never will see that Milofor again.  Maybe that was for the good. Maybe I should not remain attach to anything or object.

And anyway, that Milofor , with that Immortal, remain forever with me in my heart.

Idiot on the Path

Edited by shanlung
  • Like 4

The legend says that the realized immortals can stare at sun without hurting their eyes and they don't have shadow.  I don't know if the shadow is physical shadow or something else because most of the stories are symbolic.

Then that means I'm half immortal. :) just j/k. I once did a sun gazing practice for 45minutes everyday for a few weeks. Yes I had to build slowly to get to this. My vision was the same quality before and after the practice. Dropped it because uv light ages you rather quickly.