dwai

A point to prove (or disprove)?

Why is there his overwhelming need to "win" arguments on any topic?

By topic I mean spiritual topic of course.

Those who know don't need to prove or disprove anything...those who don't try and massage their egos perhaps.

There those who know, there are those who don't know. Wiser is one who keeps quiet when he doesn't know because he knows that he doesn't know. The fool argues and fights thinking he knows but actually he doesn't know what he doesn't yet know...

• Like 3

People like to win arguments to feel better about themselves and validate their views from others so they can feel secure in what they think.

The entire spectrum of philosophy may be aimed at finding truth in relative concepts, but at the end it usually boils down to the strength of arguments against one another...which while intellectually stimulating, also creates division.

My question to every answer is usually, " ok... Why does it matter ? What use is this knowledge?" Sometimes it is useless, sometimes it is not.

Does not a truly wise man put everything in its right place? There may be a time to argue...definitely a time to question, but no time at all for anger because you don't understand or are misunderstood.

• Like 2

I think people are trying to affirm their independent existence, when you are right and others wrong you feel more firmly that you exist, whereas being wrong can be experienced as annhialatory to the ego.

I think people are trying to affirm their independent existence, when you are right and others wrong you feel more firmly that you exist, whereas being wrong can be experienced as annhialatory to the ego.

Right on.

It all comes down to how loved I am feeling by myself. There are times when I would try very hard to prove my point, and then there are times when I'm listening to the alternate perspective and assessing it without judgment, with curiosity.