Sign in to follow this  
alleswasderfallist

I'm seeking diet advice

My view on diet has been evolving a lot over the past few years. I originally read about the Paleo diet, decided that the logic seemed sound, and tried it off and on for the better part of three years. Then I got into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which isn't a whole lot different.

I then started studying Ayurveda, and began seeing that I might not have understood the full picture. I began to see how complex this subject is, so at least I no longer feel like I can tell people what they should be eating with authority.

Seeing 'Forks Over Knives' reinforced the notion I'd picked up from Ayurveda that moderation is far more important than the Paleo folks would like to admit. Also, it would seem that flatly proscribing starches doesn't take a lot of evidence into account.

So I'm left with influences from a variety of conflicting diet viewpoints: on the one hand there's SCD/Paleo logic, which still makes sense to me. Then there's the vegan/whole foods/China Study way of looking at it, that seems to have the best evidence to support it, but is also polar opposite to Paleo in many respects. Lastly there's Ayurveda (or TCM/energy based medicine), which seems like some sort of middle ground - I can mix Ayurveda with either Paleo or whole foods/vegan, but not both.

I started a water fast two days ago, inspired by a thread here. I think I'll go 10 days. I would really like a better idea of what I should be eating when I finish. I've been reading 'Fasting and Eating for Health' by Joel Fuhrman, and his diet is basically whole foods/vegan. I'm leaning this way, and seriously considering going vegan after the fast.

I still have major caveats with eating grains/starches. Is this unfounded? Can anyone recommend a book that's pro-grain and counters Paleo-arguments? I would love to start eating stuff like chia seeds, buckwheat, quinoa, oats and the like. So can anyone with more understanding offer some experience/knowledge on the matter? Which points are valid of the respective philosophies? Are there certain grains to be avoided, and certain grains I can eat liberally?

There are many good books to read. But I can provide you with some very good basics:

What to eat:

1) Vegetables. About 60% of your diet. Mostly green, but a variety of multi-colored, steamed or lightly cooked. Eat those that are in season and grown locally. Organic is best. Cooked soups are excellent. Moderate amount of raw vegetables.

2) Whole grains. About 20% of your diet. They should be whole. Steel cut oats is better than rolled. Usually takes about 20 minutes to prepare. If you eat wheat, sprouted is best. Organic is best.

3) Beans and seeds. Sprouted is best. Some nuts are good.

4) Some fruit. Avoid the tropical fruit. Eat fruit in season. Organic is best. Avoid fruit being flown in from far distances.

5) Limited about of fish, poultry, meat in this order. Fish is becoming a problem because there are so many toxins in the fish, especially the big ones. Fish that are raised on farms are suspect. Try to get smaller, ocean fish that are caught in relatively unpolluted areas. Poultry and meat should be raised without antibiotics. Free range and organic fed are the best.

6) Dairy is controversial. The casein is linked to cancer, however it does have some positive effects also. Best to eat it cooked or fermented. Goat is better than dairy since the fat is much more digestible.

7) Nice variety of spices. Spices depends upon your constitution. If you have a hot constitution, then cooling spices are better and and warm spices if you have a cold constitution.

8) Olive oil is a good oil to use. For cooking, canola or grapeseed.

What to avoid:

1) Cane sugar

2) Cold or ice drinks

3) Coffee

4) Processed foods (empty calories will leave you hungry and less energy)

5) Basically anything you find on the shelves at Walmarts

6) Fatty foods

Nowadays, I avoid almost all foods coming from China. The agriculture there has become quite grotesque.

I think this gives a good basic idea. I might have left out some items but I think these are the basics. This diet is pretty much one that most cultures share whether it be China, Mediterranean, Macrobiotic, etc. Of course, this should be coupled with regular, moderate exercise and clean air if you can find it anywhere. And remember, practically everything is OK when done in moderation and part of a diet that is primarily vegetables and grains. If you have particular problems, such as gout or arthritis then meats are totally verboten.

• Like 1

Thanks taijistudent, that's pretty much the diet I'm leaning towards now. How do you feel about gluten-containing and GMO products?

It is good to reduce gluten because gluten is difficult to digest and thus create stagnation. Gluten products that have been sprouted (e.g. Ezekiel Bread) are better tolerated. GMO is something I stay away from. My general idea is that the body has evolved over millions of years to gain energy and life from certain foods, e.g. vegetables, whole, grains, etc. It just doesn't know how to naturally assimilate all of these newly developed foods which are foreign to the digestive process. As a result, they are not digested well and are left undigested in the system. Some of it can be eliminated, but if the body gets overloaded with undigested by-products, it is stored in fat cells which ultimately manifests as diseases.

My view on diet has been evolving a lot over the past few years. I originally read about the Paleo diet, decided that the logic seemed sound, and tried it off and on for the better part of three years. Then I got into the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, which isn't a whole lot different.

I then started studying Ayurveda, and began seeing that I might not have understood the full picture. I began to see how complex this subject is, so at least I no longer feel like I can tell people what they should be eating with authority.

Seeing 'Forks Over Knives' reinforced the notion I'd picked up from Ayurveda that moderation is far more important than the Paleo folks would like to admit. Also, it would seem that flatly proscribing starches doesn't take a lot of evidence into account.

So I'm left with influences from a variety of conflicting diet viewpoints: on the one hand there's SCD/Paleo logic, which still makes sense to me. Then there's the vegan/whole foods/China Study way of looking at it, that seems to have the best evidence to support it, but is also polar opposite to Paleo in many respects. Lastly there's Ayurveda (or TCM/energy based medicine), which seems like some sort of middle ground - I can mix Ayurveda with either Paleo or whole foods/vegan, but not both.

I started a water fast two days ago, inspired by a thread here. I think I'll go 10 days. I would really like a better idea of what I should be eating when I finish. I've been reading 'Fasting and Eating for Health' by Joel Fuhrman, and his diet is basically whole foods/vegan. I'm leaning this way, and seriously considering going vegan after the fast.

I still have major caveats with eating grains/starches. Is this unfounded? Can anyone recommend a book that's pro-grain and counters Paleo-arguments? I would love to start eating stuff like chia seeds, buckwheat, quinoa, oats and the like. So can anyone with more understanding offer some experience/knowledge on the matter? Which points are valid of the respective philosophies? Are there certain grains to be avoided, and certain grains I can eat liberally?

What a beautifully framed question - and i am in the same quandary as you.

i have always liked the vegetarian diet and now the vegan diet for so many reasons but I become a methane plant on these diets. When I first started very intense practice (40 yrs ago) I became a vegetarian for 4 years - the methane problem never left me - but is was less then with the dairy and yogurt and kefir.

I read a good book then called "Are you confused" , it set the basis for pretty much the rest of my life.

I tried the meat/fat thing for some time - probably because I like bloody meat - but it is simply unhealthy and I don't like the "low" it puts in my energy mix.

Forks Over Knives in conjunction with the China study and the piles of other studies make very convincing cases with many excellent case studies for long periods.

The Paleo Diet is popular now and plays on logic but it looks more like a salesman's dream than a great diet.

Regarding Olive Oil - Coconut is apparently far superior - at least make sure your Olive Oil is fresh and keep it in the refrigerator - it oxidizes pretty swiftly.

Presently I am Vegan and leaning into Gluten Free - I feel very good at this time - but frequently make the paint peel with the side effects. Today I went to my sons school play and had to plan in advance not to eat much of anything because I did not want people to suffer from my diet. (I am exaggerating here a bit because vegetarian gas does not generally have the sulfur odor that is the real killer)

Sorry to be so morbid.

From a meditative standpoint - vegan has been the best for me and so I am tweaking it to fit. It take time to develop a full fun easy experience - Trader Joe's makes it seem pretty easy.

Now here is something of interest - I had a "live blood" analysis done recently and I have decided to purchase my own Live Blood / Dark Field microscope because of the analysis I had done! (I manufacture specialty underwater cameras and scopes so I don't have to pay the big bucks they want for them in retail)

What an eye opener - a good friend was so impressed with the one he had done that I did it to!

You can actually see how you (your blood) are doing inside in real time up on a big screen - check into it online - it has been used in the east for quite some time.

• Like 2

Yea man, I've been thinking about this a long time. Here's what I eat (it definitely varies, but this is the main regime and I feel pretty good. You definitely might need some other things - I don't stick to this exclusively, but it's deifnitely my daily norm)

Tofu
Squash
Greens (Collards Kale Broccoli etc)
Rice
Olive Oil
Oranges + Apples +(other fruit maybe) + Greens (Collards, Kale, etc) in vitamix
Oatmeal
Also, I'm definitely on a huge budget, otherwise i'd work in more vegetables, use my juicer a bit more, etc. I've read fuhrman's stuff and I like it a lot, however I find I feel better with some olive oil, I don't hesitate to salt my foot a bit. I go easy on the green smoothies too... I think it's better for me to eat more cooked food, but the smoothies are great too
  • Like 1

I'd skip the carbs entirely and go mostly meat and fat. China study is pretty bad science, if you read the methodology.

That's what I did for at least two years. While I did feel better, I'm not sure it's not just due to cutting out processed foods, gluten, sugars, etc.

I don't see anything wrong with the China Study methodology, or what I'm aware of it. Sure, the Chinese diet (or practically any non-prescribed diet) seems a little complex to make conclusions on from the inclusion/exclusion of certain foods. However, there are some pretty meaningful control cases, take the livestock shortage in Finland dramatically decreasing degenerative diseases for instance, which show unambiguously what's going on. The data reads the same all over the world, which is why it can't be ignored: more animal fat and protein, shorter life spans.

Yea man, I've been thinking about this a long time. Here's what I eat (it definitely varies, but this is the main regime and I feel pretty good. You definitely might need some other things - I don't stick to this exclusively, but it's deifnitely my daily norm)

Tofu
Squash
Greens (Collards Kale Broccoli etc)
Rice
Olive Oil
Oranges + Apples +(other fruit maybe) + Greens (Collards, Kale, etc) in vitamix
Oatmeal
Also, I'm definitely on a huge budget, otherwise i'd work in more vegetables, use my juicer a bit more, etc. I've read fuhrman's stuff and I like it a lot, however I find I feel better with some olive oil, I don't hesitate to salt my foot a bit. I go easy on the green smoothies too... I think it's better for me to eat more cooked food, but the smoothies are great too

That sounds good. I have my reservations about tofu, and sadly about olive oil after reading Fuhrman's book (though I doubt I'll cut it out completely), but I think your diet looks pretty conducive to overall health for the mind/body/spirit.

I'm a pitta, so eating uncooked vegetables is usually good for me. I do avoid ice water and freezing smoothies though, according to Ayurvedic philosophy.

What a beautifully framed question - and i am in the same quandary as you.

i have always liked the vegetarian diet and now the vegan diet for so many reasons but I become a methane plant on these diets. When I first started very intense practice (40 yrs ago) I became a vegetarian for 4 years - the methane problem never left me - but is was less then with the dairy and yogurt and kefir.

I read a good book then called "Are you confused" , it set the basis for pretty much the rest of my life.

I tried the meat/fat thing for some time - probably because I like bloody meat - but it is simply unhealthy and I don't like the "low" it puts in my energy mix.

Forks Over Knives in conjunction with the China study and the piles of other studies make very convincing cases with many excellent case studies for long periods.

The Paleo Diet is popular now and plays on logic but it looks more like a salesman's dream than a great diet.

Regarding Olive Oil - Coconut is apparently far superior - at least make sure your Olive Oil is fresh and keep it in the refrigerator - it oxidizes pretty swiftly.

Presently I am Vegan and leaning into Gluten Free - I feel very good at this time - but frequently make the paint peel with the side effects. Today I went to my sons school play and had to plan in advance not to eat much of anything because I did not want people to suffer from my diet. (I am exaggerating here a bit because vegetarian gas does not generally have the sulfur odor that is the real killer)

Sorry to be so morbid.

From a meditative standpoint - vegan has been the best for me and so I am tweaking it to fit. It take time to develop a full fun easy experience - Trader Joe's makes it seem pretty easy.

Now here is something of interest - I had a "live blood" analysis done recently and I have decided to purchase my own Live Blood / Dark Field microscope because of the analysis I had done! (I manufacture specialty underwater cameras and scopes so I don't have to pay the big bucks they want for them in retail)

What an eye opener - a good friend was so impressed with the one he had done that I did it to!

You can actually see how you (your blood) are doing inside in real time up on a big screen - check into it online - it has been used in the east for quite some time.

Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed your posts on the fasting thread - they helped in making my decision to fast. Do you think ten days is long enough for a healthy 25 year old?

I'm planning on drinking vegetable juice the first couple of days off the fast, then exclusively fruits and vegetable soups for a week or so. Then I'll introduce the grains one at a time and see how they affect me.

There was no mention of enzymes. Such a vital part of good health. Check out 'Enzyme Nutrition' by Dr. Edward Howell.

all the best.

p.s. While everyone speaks of olive oil, there are other plant oils which merit consideration, and which i personally found to exceed the scope of olive oil. For example, not many know of the immense benefits of styrian pumpkin seed oil.

http://www.realrawfood.com/pumpkinseeds-styrian-health-benefits-and-nutritional-info

Edited by C T

That sounds good. I have my reservations about tofu, and sadly about olive oil after reading Fuhrman's book (though I doubt I'll cut it out completely), but I think your diet looks pretty conducive to overall health for the mind/body/spirit.

I'm a pitta, so eating uncooked vegetables is usually good for me. I do avoid ice water and freezing smoothies though, according to Ayurvedic philosophy.

Yeah - I understand about the oil, but for me the low fat vegan thing just made me feel like I was fasting all the time - which amkes it hard for me to focus on work on stuff. I seem to really need the fat. I also sometimes (when i remember, haha they're stiting in my fridge) eat some seeds, both in the smoothies or with the saute.

Tofu for me is a convenience thing (over cooking beans) - also I like the taste of it cooked with the vegetables a lot better. I don't feel bad at all from eating it, so I'm just going with the flow

I'm a vatta, so I guess my discoveries about cooked vegetables are accurate.. for me. haha

But i wouldn't obsess about diet too much (coming from someone who has a lot, and I end up back where I started whenever I go to those extremes). Take the middle path. Just figure out what works for your situation, financially, where you live, and how the food makes you feel personally. Some people probably can't do tofu, but since I seem to stomach it just fine I let it be. I also found for myself that eating the larger meals earlier in the day had a great impact on my health... Better sleep, wake up earlier naturally with lots of energy... less of a blood sugar spike (I used to wait a long time to eat my first meal). I try to have green smomothie/juice type stuff for dinner now.

The most damaging things I have found in my experience are eating huge meals, or eating a bunch of sugar. Those two actions seem to effect me more than any particular food in the diet.

and edit: i wasn't trying to discourage your fast - by all means. It's probably the best way to increase your body's intelligence, which will make it easier to find the diet that works for you. I think the diet you end up with shouldn't feel like a lot of effort, should feel like a natural extension of you (whether it's physically a lot of work or not)

Edited by ancienthealth
  • Like 1

But i wouldn't obsess about diet too much (coming from someone who has a lot, and I end up back where I started whenever I go to those extremes). Take the middle path. Just figure out what works for your situation, financially, where you live, and how the food makes you feel personally. Some people probably can't do tofu, but since I seem to stomach it just fine I let it be. I also found for myself that eating the larger meals earlier in the day had a great impact on my health... Better sleep, wake up earlier naturally with lots of energy... less of a blood sugar spike (I used to wait a long time to eat my first meal). I try to have green smomothie/juice type stuff for dinner now.

The most damaging things I have found in my experience are eating huge meals, or eating a bunch of sugar. Those two actions seem to effect me more than any particular food in the diet.

and edit: i wasn't trying to discourage your fast - by all means. It's probably the best way to increase your body's intelligence, which will make it easier to find the diet that works for you. I think the diet you end up with shouldn't feel like a lot of effort, should feel like a natural extension of you (whether it's physically a lot of work or not)

Yes, I very much agree. Each person is different and has to find the diet that works best. Some people find tofu, for example, difficult to digest because it is dense in protein, thus creating phlegm and possibly allergic reactions. Each person is different. The key attributes of a healthy diet are lots of vegetables and whole grains, moderation, avoidance of process foods and as you said smaller, nutritious meals (even the body doesn't get the nutrition it needs, it will be in a constant state of hunger).

Stress creates a need for quick spikes in energy, thus one often finds oneself seeking quick fixes like coffee or sugar. Best to look for ways to manage the stress.

Otherwise, as you have wisely suggested, seek moderation in all activities in life including diet. It is a safe path to take. :)

Thanks for the advice. I enjoyed your posts on the fasting thread - they helped in making my decision to fast. Do you think ten days is long enough for a healthy 25 year old?

I'm planning on drinking vegetable juice the first couple of days off the fast, then exclusively fruits and vegetable soups for a week or so. Then I'll introduce the grains one at a time and see how they affect me.

When you go on your fast just listen to your body. It can be a little bit like riding a horse - you may need to lead it out of the barn and on to the road to get on your way but then you will pretty much both be on an adventure together.

If you have set aside a 10 day window for your fast and you have prepared yourself with the knowledge of just how great the experience is for you, then you will find it pretty amazing with the 3rd day being the only day that is pretty grungy while at the same time pretty inspiring - it was for me on my first fast.

I don't know if I mentioned that on my first fast - when I was still in my teens - it was a water fast - I woke up on the 3rd day and went to the bathroom. When I looked in the mirror it looked like my nose had a 3 day old beard! I am not exaggerating - I really had to take a close look - and it looked like hair - it turned out that my pores had expunged themselves pretty much in unison during the night and I was lucky enough not to have smudged this event so that I could see it for myself.

by the 5th day you will feel incredibly good and you will be surprised at how your energy will surge but with the most natural tone to it.

Have a great time!

A few points that may be helpful especially if you eat mostly vegan:

1) read up about the purity of olive oil. Chances are, the extra virgin olive oil you're buying is highly diluted with inferior oils.

2) include chinese cabbage/nappa for highest calcium content. Note that the calcium/phosphorus is best balanced at a 2/1 ratio for calcium absorption. corn might throw this off as it is very high in phosphorus (I'm not actually sure if it has to be the balance in the food or in your overall diet though)

3) eat pumpkin seeds for protein - they have twice the amount per gram than any other other nut or seed.

4) As you probably know, to get a "complete protein" spectrum just combine any two of grains/legumes/and seeds or nuts within the same day

interesting thread..

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness
  • Like 1

A few points that may be helpful especially if you eat mostly vegan:

1) read up about the purity of olive oil. Chances are, the extra virgin olive oil you're buying is highly diluted with inferior oils.

2) include chinese cabbage/nappa for highest calcium content. Note that the calcium/phosphorus is best balanced at a 2/1 ratio for calcium absorption. corn might throw this off as it is very high in phosphorus (I'm not actually sure if it has to be the balance in the food or in your overall diet though)

3) eat pumpkin seeds for protein - they have twice the amount per gram than any other other nut or seed.

4) As you probably know, to get a "complete protein" spectrum just combine any two of grains/legumes/and seeds or nuts within the same day

interesting thread..

I ordered a bunch of Bob's pumpkin seeds and they're on their way. Point taken re olive oil; I'm hearing this from many different sources.

• Like 1

Check this out guys -

It's pretty interesting that the foods proscribed on the shamanic plant diet happen to be the same that many of us here are coming to avoid:

http://templeofthewayoflight.org/retreats/dietary-information

'We recommend that you abstain from the following foods prior to, during and after your workshop:

• No salt or pepper
  • No sugar, sweets or chocolate
  • No pork (minimum 2 weeks before and after)
  • No red meat
  • No oils (if you must use oil, use olive oil very sparingly)
  • No animal fats (lard, etc)
  • No alcohol (minimum 1 week before and after)
  • No fizzy drinks (including “diet” sodas, as these contain NutraSweet/Aspartame and other sweeteners), no energy drinks, no non-alcoholic beer
  • No seasoning (white pepper, spices, etc)
  • No chillies or other hot peppers
  • No ice, ice cream, or ice cold drinks
  • No dairy produce

The plant spirits don't jive well with toxins. I've been looking for scientific evidence to help shed light on the Paleo vs. whole-foods vegan debate, and it really helps to know what nature herself has to say... (ie - eat pork, cheese, salt, sodas, etc, and I'll make you hurl all over and mess your pants!)

I can't add much, there's a lot of good advice here. I'd just say in my view canola is NOT a healthy oil. There are some oils that WOULD be healthy...if you made them fresh and consumed them immediately. But most nut oils, especially, go through nasty chemical processes to clean off and hide the fact that they've gone rancid and oxidized.

Canola is one of those oils that for some reason got a big industry push as healthy, when its really not. It doesn't naturally have hydrogenated oils, but after processing, it DOES. The industry has gotten around this on the technicality that fresh pressed canola actually is kind of a healthy oil. It's just every canola you've ever bought in a bottle which isn't :)

I've heard a lot about coconut, and I used it for a while. It's especially good for high temp frying. Not many healthy oils are good for this. If you find a healthy oil that says "for high temps", you'll notice that its been "processed to tolerate high temps", ie stripped, usually chemically, of its inherently good characteristics. Higher temp frying and healthy eating just don't go hand in hand, except maybe with the exception of coconut. Otherwise, animal fat is the only way to go, which may not be healthy, depending on what you're going for.

Coconut oil has a lot of other great uses, too. You just need to be ok with the fact that your food will pick up some coconut flavor. Some foods more than others. I didn't like it with fried eggs, for example....

Edited by i am
  • Like 1

'We recommend that you abstain from the following foods prior to, during and after your workshop:

• No salt or pepper
  • No sugar, sweets or chocolate
  • No pork (minimum 2 weeks before and after)
  • No red meat
  • No oils (if you must use oil, use olive oil very sparingly)
  • No animal fats (lard, etc)
  • No alcohol (minimum 1 week before and after)
  • No fizzy drinks (including “diet” sodas, as these contain NutraSweet/Aspartame and other sweeteners), no energy drinks, no non-alcoholic beer
  • No seasoning (white pepper, spices, etc)
  • No chillies or other hot peppers
  • No ice, ice cream, or ice cold drinks
  • No dairy produce

The plant spirits don't jive well with toxins. I've been looking for scientific evidence to help shed light on the Paleo vs. whole-foods vegan debate, and it really helps to know what nature herself has to say... (ie - eat pork, cheese, salt, sodas, etc, and I'll make you hurl all over and mess your pants!)

Sounds like food nazi to me. I love pork. It's a stable food in China. Some research showed that lean pork is healthier than chicken. Chillies and seasoning are good for you in general.

Diversity, customization and moderation. Not two people react the same to the same food. A "healthy" food maybe good for John, it doesn't mean it's "healthy" to you.

Lol, look at the site. I don't think this is someone's staple diet, it's just the way you've gotta eat if you don't want a bad ayahuasca experience. If you don't like it, take it up with the vine :P

Lol, look at the site. I don't think this is someone's staple diet, it's just the way you've gotta eat if you don't want a bad ayahuasca experience. If you don't like it, take it up with the vine :P

Yeah traditional ayahuasca training is the same as yoga training -- celibacy, away from females, and a serotonin diet and then fasting.

It's best to fast at least 24 hours before doing DMT-based plants. Serotonin syndrome is very dangerous but mainly from the MAOI that does with the DMT ingested. So people can and do go into seizure and one person died from ayahuasca - a couple years ago in Peru....

Yeah traditional ayahuasca training is the same as yoga training -- celibacy, away from females, and a serotonin diet and then fasting.

It's best to fast at least 24 hours before doing DMT-based plants. Serotonin syndrome is very dangerous but mainly from the MAOI that does with the DMT ingested. So people can and do go into seizure and one person died from ayahuasca - a couple years ago in Peru....

I was just reading the thread where that was discussed (along with your comments), as a matter of fact. Besides discrepancies with diet, do you think there are certain things one should be aware of regarding Ayahuasca and energy work (eg Qigong, Yoga, etc)? Temple of the Way of Light seems to be integrating Qigong classes with some of its healing workshops: http://templeofthewayoflight.org/retreats/qigong-at-the-temple

I'm wondering if more advanced Qigong practitioners, and those of certain lineages, might have a higher potential of awakening to plant spirits and the like. And as there are so many systems with very different goals and qualities (downward moving Kundalini, upward moving, you name it...), couldn't a patient's experience with energy work have a negative or even dangerous influence on the Ayahuasca journey? This question has been in the back of my mind for a while.

From Paleo to Raw, what I've noticed is when people stop or limit grains, sugars and processed food they get very good results.

I was reading a Raw Vegan book and Paleo at the same time. Both presented anecdotal and lab evidence to back up there claims of providing superior health. What they had in common was stopping or limiting those 3-sugars, grains <maybe they're biologically the same inside the body, both inflammatants> and processed foods.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this