Sign in to follow this  
Rara

Greetings from England!

Wow, I stumbled upon this when searching for energy cultivation techniques - I've been looking for a Taoist forum for a while now :)

I began practicing Taoism about three years ago around the same time I started Wing Chun. I grew up in a very "do what's expected of you" town and later moved out to university but still carried my old values. I found myself lashing out regularly and suffering from terrible anxiety...so I searched for reasons why everything felt like such a struggle...then suddenly, I guess I fell into this, and very quickly, life became magical.

Funnily enough, I always wanted to find my own way from birth, but struggled in a town with such closed-minded people...and when I found Taoism, I felt that I had just returned to something that was already me....like a twin separated at birth only to be reunited.

I look forward to learning form you all here and hopefully I can throw some of my own wisdom into the mix!

• Thanks 2

Hi Rara,

and welcome to TTB's. :D

Which particular part of Blighty are you from ?

As I'm currently in leafy, but flippin freezin Surrey :(

Know what you mean about the closed mindedness of some communities.... :angry:

Once heard of a Tai Chi Class that was expelled from the Church Hall, because their practises weren't "Christian" !!! :blink:

Basher

Roll on South East England communities haha. I actually grew up in West Wickham/Bromley...so you may know the place! I live in a small village called Milsnbridge in Huddersfield now with my girlfriend. I'm not totally settled here, but I'm starting to feel that maybe I never will be, and that roaming like a nomad could well be my way in this lifetime!

Roll on South East England communities haha. I actually grew up in West Wickham/Bromley...so you may know the place! I live in a small village called Milsnbridge in Huddersfield now with my girlfriend. I'm not totally settled here, but I'm starting to feel that maybe I never will be, and that roaming like a nomad could well be my way in this lifetime!

Quite nice town Huddersfield though I only passed through occasionally for work on my way from Manchester to Leeds and visa versa.

Welcome to the board ... hope you enjoy your stay.

Oh so it's true then, that causes all the traffic around here! Haha

That's why I still live here actually. I started a business and then figured as I'm here, I may as well go to either Manchester or Leeds to work as there's more opportunities...but I can still live in a quieter town :) Best of both worlds...seems to work for me at the moment. Though I don't drive, so public transport around the north does drain me!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I shall pay visits whenever I can. If I don't contribute, it's because I'm reading and absorbing - but I will always be present in some shape or form!

I know West Wickham & Bromley quite well. As I grew up in & around Thornton Heath, Mitcham, Norbury & worked in Croydon.

Currently nearer to Banstead, Epsom & Sutton.

Small World.

On 2/26/2013 at 5:23 AM, Rara said:

I grew up in a very "do what's expected of you" town and later moved out to university but still carried my old values. I found myself lashing out regularly and suffering from terrible anxiety...so I searched for reasons why everything felt like such a struggle...then suddenly, I guess I fell into this, and very quickly, life became magical.

It's pleasure to meet you Rara.  I relate to this ^^ very much.  Similar family/community issues ( do what's expected of you ) , similar reaction ( lashing out / anxiety ).

I'm new here, not a Daoist practitioner, but, learning about Daoism and conversing with other Daoists brings me tremendous relief from the turmoil inside my self.

I look fwd to conversing with you here and learning about The Eternal Dao.

Sincerely,

Daniel

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Daniel said:

It's pleasure to meet you Rara.  I relate to this ^^ very much.  Similar family/community issues ( do what's expected of you ) , similar reaction ( lashing out / anxiety ).

I'm new here, not a Daoist practitioner, but, learning about Daoism and conversing with other Daoists brings me tremendous relief from the turmoil inside my self.

I look fwd to conversing with you here and learning about The Eternal Dao.

Sincerely,

Daniel

Daniel, the feeling is mutual. It's crazy that you found this thread as I don't even remember it! I've read it all back and its made me realise how far I've come and also remembered some others here are in my country.

Some updates: Wing Chun no more, it's been all taiji for years now. Girlfriend no more, unfortunately we drifted apart.

I've made a lot of progress on the anger front, although there are elements in my life that really do make this hard for me. It hasn't gone away at all, but I'm now able to sit with it, even at the worst of times, and let it pass.

I'll see you kicking about the forum, I'm sure. I do most of my postings in Daoist Discussion, only occasionally in others. Hope you enjoy your time here.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rara said:

I've made a lot of progress on the anger front, although there are elements in my life that really do make this hard for me. It hasn't gone away at all, but I'm now able to sit with it, even at the worst of times, and let it pass.

Yeah, me too.  Anger is very difficult for me to control.  I'm actually just now starting to be able to subjugate it.  But it will always be with me...

Best wishes,

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this