lazysamadhi

How Hermit Monks avoid transfer of bad karma to themselves

http://epages.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/farewell-to-karma/

Many Indian gurus claim that negative karma can transfer from a disciple to a teacher. Karma mystically “flies,” they say, from less to more pure souls. This transfer of bad karma may be experienced by the pure soul in various ways. Spiritual “pollution” is a term many gurus use to describe these impure spiritual elements that they’ve reportedly picked up from their disciples.Many Indian gurus claim that negative karma can transfer from a disciple to a teacher. Karma mystically “flies,” they say, from less to more pure souls. This transfer of bad karma may be experienced by the pure soul in various ways. Spiritual “pollution” is a term many gurus use to describe these impure spiritual elements that they’ve reportedly picked up from their disciples.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Celibacy-Abstinence-3564/2012/4/transmission-karma.htm

QUESTION: Can the karmas or sins of one person transferred to another person knowingly or unknowingly?

To put in other words, can we catch the karmas/sins(unwanted)of others, and if yes, how should we avoid them or be careful about them?

ANSWER: While the entire karma of another person doesnot get contracted, one gets influenced/affected by anothers karma under conditions such as:

1. Close physical, mental or verbal contact.

2. Eating the food cooked by another, wearing the clothes worn by another etc.

3. Relationship/sexual contact/marriage.

4. Constant contemplation/thoughts about that person or his/her nature, activities etc.

5. Stealing/ receiving/ taking money, gifts, belongings, wealth in kind or any other favors without justification (without giving something of equal value in return) or unlawfully.

6. Giving something to another with the thought – “ I have done him a favor and hope to get something in return” (or in other words assuming doership as a result of which karma involving the Ego is produced, which makes it longer to dissolve karma and attain liberation)

http://www.ramaquotes.com/html/sexuality.html

If you are having sex with someone who is not on the same frequency that you are on, it can be very problematic. The greatest karmic transfer occurs in having sex with someone.

http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=4WZTj3M71y0C&pg=PA29&lpg=PA29&dq=transfer+karma+during+sex&source=bl&ots=jcg9zOgu9h&sig=9BeFr3Idh5y8Ws4KzQAZ90DGsfg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=11wrUf6EIMSftAaUuIHQBw&ved=0CDQQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=transfer%20karma%20during%20sex&f=false

Merit transfer takes place between two animate creatures particularly in transactions involving food and sex so anyone can be polluted by bad karma from even a complete stranger or animal.

When you have close contact with any one, you are exchanging energies and these energies invariably contain karmic energies.

So if a drug addict is to come into close contact with a spiritual master, the much cleaner and purer soul of the spiritual master would invariably leech the bad karma of the drug addict onto himself.

This is why many spiritual seekers feel much better and more confident after listening to talks by a master. Because the soul of the master cleanse away a lot of negative karmic energies from the students.

This is also why the highest most spiritually evolved people on the face of this planet are the hermit monks. The yogis in the himalayan mountains, the daoist masters in the mountains of china, the yamabushi mountain warriors of japan all seek to hide themselves away from the masses and the cities.

This is because such hermits know that when they come into close contact with the typical citizen living in the city, the bad karma of such impure souls will be transferred onto the hermits and such bad karma will result in obstacles being placed on the spiritual paths of those hermits seeking enlightenment and salvation from the cycle of rebirth and death.

Also this is why most true spiritual seekers would abstain from sex as a lot of women nowadays are too attached to material desires like food, sex, handbags, clothes, jewellery, money because of their bad karma. A lot of women lack the good karma to see through the maya that is this world and any true spiritual seeker foolish enough to have sex with a material-minded woman will end up sucking up the bad karma of that material woman.

Also any female spiritual seeker wishing to obtain enlightenment but get involved with a man seeking nothing more than sexual pleasures with that female spiritual seeker would also encounter lots of spiritual obstacles. A lot of men have nothing on their minds besides the gratification of their senses but espeically the gratification of their sexual desires.

I think both the material woman and the sexual man deserve to suffer each other.

EDITED to comply with mod's wishes. I am a man so I am writing from the POV of a male spiritual seeker but I am sure there are plenty of sex-obsessed men who interfere with the spiritual aspirations of a female spiritual seeker as well.

Edited by lazysamadhi

I don't think I would dare to have sexual relationships or even close contact with any human on this planet, but especially women.

How can any true seeker of enlightenment on the path even dare express any desire to sleep with anyone else after reading the material which I just revealed?

Just imagine, you pray and meditate everyday trying to rid yourselves of material desires and attachments, the karmic energies which are blocking your inner access to your higher self or the true Dao within. But you sleep with your wife, girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever and then you take in their karmic energies which would in turn place additional blocks in your attempt to connect with your higher self.

*Shudder* It is a never-ending cycle. I am glad I have finally seen through the light of all this "love" bullshiit.

EDITED.

Edited by lazysamadhi
  • Like 2

Being afraid of taking on anothers karma and taking counter measures to avoid it just enhances a defensive position which increases fear, closes things down and creates fear in others, which subsequently makes dealing with karma more difficult, because being afraid of something means it has power over you. Which is why the real Boddhisatvas train in taking on others karma, they visualize taking on others sickness and ill health into their hearts out of compassion, which is why they are known as being fearless, and they tend to have excellent mental and often physical health as a result as their hearts and meridians are open and their minds not too bothered by outer circumstances.

• Like 6

Being afraid of taking on anothers karma and taking counter measures to avoid it just enhances a defensive position which increases fear, closes things down and creates fear in others, which subsequently makes dealing with karma more difficult, because being afraid of something means it has power over you. Which is why the real Boddhisatvas train in taking on others karma, they visualize taking on others sickness and ill health into their hearts out of compassion, which is why they are known as being fearless, and they tend to have excellent mental and often physical health as a result as their hearts and meridians are open and their minds not too bothered by outer circumstances.

Avoiding the taking on of another's bad karma is very different from being afraid of taking on another's bad karma.

If you train in martial arts to defend yourself from physical assaults, does that mean you are afraid of being physically assualted or are you just taking wise and judicious means to defend yourself from physical assaults?

Good Karma Bad Karma, green karma, yellow karma....while it is important to protect oneself from other people's negative energies via shielding.....I think it's best not to overly obsess about all tricks you need to avoid karma.....cultivating simple detachment and shielding oneself is the root way to avoid entanglements. I agree with Jetsuns post....don't be scared of these things.....that just brews deeper attachment and suffering. Cultivate diligently and you will learn how to seal the doors for yourself.

My 2 cents, Peace

Good Karma Bad Karma, green karma, yellow karma....while it is important to protect oneself from other people's negative energies via shielding.....I think it's best not to overly obsess about all tricks you need to avoid karma.....cultivating simple detachment and shielding oneself is the root way to avoid entanglements. I agree with Jetsuns post....don't be scared of these things.....that just brews deeper attachment and suffering. Cultivate diligently and you will learn how to seal the doors for yourself.

My 2 cents, Peace

Talking and discussing about the ways to avoid bad karma doesn't mean I am afraid of bad karma. I am not afraid to use my machete to cut down a home intruder for eg if that intruder insists on invading the privacy and security of my own personal sanctuary even though killing is of bad karma.

Detachments is not only done on the mental and astral levels. One has to be detached in all levels including and espeically physical levels.

Avoiding the taking on of another's bad karma is very different from being afraid of taking on another's bad karma.

If you train in martial arts to defend yourself from physical assaults, does that mean you are afraid of being physically assualted or are you just taking wise and judicious means to defend yourself from physical assaults?

Depends on the measures you take I suppose, some people are so afraid of physical assault they never leave their homes so they become more fearful and thus vulnerable through their countermeasures. Many martial artists are consumed with fear of assault. If you take extreme measures to avoid bad karma like never loving a woman then you are most probably afraid of it so it has power over you and it has defeated you. There is a mutual exchange in sex so you may not be any worse karmically off yet a lot happier. But if you are not afraid of it I don't see much reason for taking any measures.

One has to be detached in all levels including and espeically physical levels.

IME that is simply not true. You can have friends and family and be around them and still be detached and not absorb there negativities. However, in regards to intimate relationships I would say its impossible to be intimate with someone and remain detached....the act itself builds a connection and can compromise clarity very deeply.

Also in regards to jetsun's post on taking on others karma that Buddhas do. This is something that should probably only be left for those high level practitioners whom have sealed all of there doors and know how to dissolve such things in one foul swoop without becoming entangled. It is not something one should do without a supreme level of clarity.

My 2 cents, Peace

Good Karma Bad Karma, green karma, yellow karma....while it is important to protect oneself from other people's negative energies via shielding.....

I was reading recently about a Huna Shaman who says that often all such protection shields do is send your subconscious the message that you need protecting so are vulnerable so they just reinforce fear. He says its better if you want to do anything is create a love light around you which just embraces things.

• Like 1

I was reading recently about a Huna Shaman who says that often all such protection shields do is send your subconscious the message that you need protecting so are vulnerable so they just reinforce fear. He says its better if you want to do anything is create a love light around you which just embraces things.

Intent is important when doing these things. If your doing them out of fear then naturally your gonna be stiffled because you are projecting that fear and therefore attracting it to you. Clarity and focused intent are important in these things.

There are times when I have been psychically attacked or i have just been feeling "heavy"... the moment I put up my walls I felt "lighter" and had more energy. I am not clairvoyant so I can't see these things but in some way or another it works. That's what my experiences have taught me atleast and what I have also been taught by numerous teachers (shield yourself).

Love can be a very powerful form for dissolving....but at the end of the day it is still an emotion and emotions require energy....if you go out trying to dissolve every person on the planet you are gonna exhaust yourself and not be a happy camper.

Edit: I am not saying there is anything wrong with projecting love and joy. But it's better being happy by ones intrinsic nature and also at the same time protect oneself effectively (shields) so you can keep projecting that joy and love instead of getting knocked off balance by others negativity.

My 2 cents,Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I don't think karma is even a real "thing".

I think it's just mental constructs/barriers people set up within themselves out of fear/guilt.

All of the examples you've provided of how you get "affected/influenced" by karma, have an air of "holier than thou".

If you want to live every day in fear of reincarnation, civilization, women and the majority of this planet, cool- good for you.

I am glad I have finally seen through the light of all this "love" bullshiit.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Karma isn't blocking your access to your higher self, you are.

yeah you sound a lot like that "the angels should take away peoples' free will so everyone can be enlightened" guy.

buh uh

Edited by Flolfolil

I don't think I would dare to have sexual relationships or even close contact with any human on this planet, but especially women.

I remember a master tell me that women in general have worse karma than men. Think how a woman suffer in this life for a moment. The pains of pregnancies, the pains of PMS, the pains of having to lower themsevles by using sex to lure men to do their bidding for them.

What you say may be true, but you should focus on yourself rather than women. If you constantly think about avoiding them you might develop hatred for them which will only make it worse. Lust and hatred are partners and you can't completely defeat one without defeating the other.

Remember that the problem comes from within not from outside. Once you master yourself it won't make a difference even if you were to be surrounded by several scantily clad prostitutes.

Aim for that state.

Edited by safi

Don't you see any contradiction with the idea of being good, but avoiding people like plague? :P

Also women having worse karma than men. Really frightening views you have :P

• Like 2

I don't think karma is even a real "thing".

I think it's just mental constructs/barriers people set up within themselves out of fear/guilt.

All of the examples you've provided of how you get "affected/influenced" by karma, have an air of "holier than thou".

If you want to live every day in fear of reincarnation, civilization, women and the majority of this planet, cool- good for you.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Karma isn't blocking your access to your higher self, you are.

Karma means "action". It's not some high in the sky idea that some people make it out to be. Everyday we make decisions or actions with our body, mind and emotions. Those actions have an effect on us and our reality.

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

we are all one person living many lives separated from each other, yet in direct interaction with each other every day; unknowing that we go on to eventually live the life of our friends, family, acquaintances, and enemies alike.

So...

WTF is karma?

Clearly a misunderstanding of Karma.

Karma cannot be transferred and it's completely silly to concern yourself with such nonsense.

People absolutely can infect us with their issues such as anger, neurosis, and of course the other side of the coin with love, light, compassion and peace, but Karma cannot be transferred. We should be mindful of the people we choose to spend out time with and I'm all for extended solitary or silent retreats, but it's not other peoples Karma that we need to be worried about. We create our own Karma and sadly for most people this happens unconsciously.

• Like 1

Clearly a misunderstanding of Karma.

Karma cannot be transferred and it's completely silly to concern yourself with such nonsense.

People absolutely can infect us with their issues such as anger, neurosis, and of course the other side of the coin with love, light, compassion and peace, but Karma cannot be transferred. We should be mindful of the people we choose to spend out time with and I'm all for extended solitary or silent retreats, but it's not other peoples Karma that we need to be worried about. We create our own Karma and sadly for most people this happens unconsciously.

I agree with this. Karma 'transfer' happens by interacting with other people - or the world... pretty much anything. You decide what you do and that determins your karma.

Also, there's that saying that I find very deep and helpful if you keep reminding yourself of it:

That which is impure cannot enter that which is pure.

Does anybody know the origin of that saying?