Jeff

The Difference a Guru Makes...

Many traditions describe that it is nearly impossible to realize the "truth" without the guidance, help and support of a true guru. I thought it might be helpful to describe how/what is the meaningful difference a guru makes to the realization process.

There are many ways in which it can be described, but in simple terms, "we" are beings of "light". The normal person has many fears, issues, attachments and ego stuff which "obscure" this truth. Rather than notice the energy/light that we are, we get caught up in the perceptions and mind activity of life. We believe that all of the mental activity and the boundaries of the body are "us". A true guru has seen through the obstructions, perceived the light and in doing so, the light "flows through" them.

When one is ready and "finds" a guru, an energetic bond is formed. Our subconscious (or higher) self yearns for the "light" and so "connects" to the guru, which becomes a "form" for the light in the world for us. To form this energetic connection requires a very open, trusting and loving heart. The more open and trusting, the further the guru can take you. With full surrender and trust (which is very rare), a guru can take you all the way to the brink. The final step you must take on your own, as the guru itself, ultimately becomes an "attachment" that which must also be surrendered (let go).

Once the bond is formed, it is like one is sort of "drafting" off the guru. The guru can share the light and clarity of mind. Also, the light of guru is constantly "hitting" the obstructions of the student. If the student trusts and let's go of the energetic mental obstructions, it is like the guru "washes them away" with light. Lifetimes of karma and obstructions can be cleared quickly.

Hope you found this interesting (and maybe helpful). Best wishes on you path.

Jeff

• Like 5

Hi jeff,

How do you seperate the wheat from the chaff (guru-wise) i.e. How do you know when you've found a guru?

P

Hi PGawley,

As I am sure that you know, there is no easy answer to that question. Also, there can be many teachers in life, but to find your true guru is very rare. In my humble opinion, one finds teachers, but only when you are ready, a guru finds you. As I tried to describe in the above post, a true guru-student connection is like an overlapping of souls at the heart. For the student, the connection is like the guru permeates them all way down to a cellular level. This can only happen with a deep abiding trust in your heart (not mind).

In finding your true guru, you must trust your heart. It is easy to be confused as many teachers can transmit energy that can affect/impress the mind, but a true guru can work with light "beyond the mind". Surrender is not easy for the mind, and my theory is when one is truly ready, they will feel it in their heart.

Best wishes, Jeff

• Like 1

Hi Jeff,

There's no point asking easy questions is there? :)

Like any position of authority, the power that a teacher holds over a pupil is open to abuse. Its something everyone needs to be wary of.

Regards

P

Hi P,

I agree there is definitely such danger with a teacher. But in my experience a true guru/master "resides in the light" and is incapable of abuse.

Best wishes, Jeff

We all have many teachers in our lives and we thank them for what they have taught us. My most beloved teacher is myself who has taught me much through the years with much thanks to all of my other teachers who have been many beyond count. Each has offered me something to learn and I hope I have done well in my learning.

Edited by taijistudent

We all have many teachers in our lives and we thank them for what they have taught us. My most beloved teacher is myself who has taught me much through the years with much thanks to all of my other teachers who have been many beyond count. Each has offered me something to learn and I hope I have done well in my learning.

Hi taijistudent,

I am also a big fan of the "inner guru".

Best regards, Jeff

Love is unifying. If they are only as to show you the way to your goals through self improvement and independence, they are a teacher/sage/guru.

It is not impossible to be united to a guru, but they will no longer be YOUR guru once you are united.

Hi jeff,

So you have direct experience of someone who 'resides in the light'?

Regs

P

Hi P,

Yes, I have experienced that blessing. :)

Best regards, Jeff

how do you tell the difference between being in love with someone and them being your guru?

A very good question... :)

Does "being in" imply that one can "fall out" of love? True love is an unconditional "giving"...

Best wishes, Jeff

Hi P,

Yes, I have experienced that blessing. :)

Best regards, Jeff

Hi jeff,

Can you tell us more about that? Or is it too personal? Perhaps you could open a new thread?

Regards

P

Hi jeff,

Can you tell us more about that? Or is it too personal? Perhaps you could open a new thread?

Regards

P

Hi P,

Describing such experiences becomes very challenging without context. If you have not seen it before, you may be interested in an earlier thread...

http://thetaobums.com/topic/25866-stages-of-progressionenlightenment/

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me with any questions.

Regards, Jeff

Edited by Jeff
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I hadn't seen that thread before, thanks for pointing it out to me.

Its very helpful.

Regs

P