deci belle

Complete Reality section

Hi Deci belle,

It seems you can see into the situation of the present moment and what is about to occur, yet not knowing what is going to happen, thereby allowing the karma of that moment to pass by into oblivion without so much a forethought (pun intended).

Can I ask what it is that you focus in a day, outside of meditation that allows for the natural unfolding and high riding of the karmic potential within a particular situation?

Cheers.

Starhawk

Hi Deci belle,

It seems you can see into the situation of the present moment and what is about to occur, yet not knowing what is going to happen, thereby allowing the karma of that moment to pass by into oblivion without so much a forethought (pun intended).

Can I ask what it is that you focus in a day, outside of meditation that allows for the natural unfolding and high riding of the karmic potential within a particular situation?

Cheers.

Starhawk

Ya, the big mystery about what's happening is that I don't know~ so it is that a lack of preconception by virtue of receptive innocence allows the event to enter open aware potential in oneself simply due to the fact that reality doesn't know too (even while an external driving element is intending). Alchemy calls this matching creation with potential. When karmic momentum meets openness, its potential is absorbed. Alchemy calls this stealing potential.

I don't focus at all. Continuous not-focussing is subtle concentration meditation all day. Not-focussing is locking-up potential in recondite silence unbeknownst to oneself and others, not leaking so much as a spark of intellectualism.

This is all transcending endless cycles of yin convergence in terms of the naturally occuring firing process. Here one masters the 3rd and 4th hexagrams. Difficulty comes before and innocent darkness follows in withdrawal of the fire when the killing energy of polluted yin arises in every situation's evolution. One shuts-up inside and out for a period. In terms of the Virtue of the Receptive, when nothing inside goes out and nothing outside comes in, that's sealed up tight.

hey Green~ the Boss said we're packing up the Contributed Articles section (cause I always say "this isn't the discussion section" when people want to discuss opinions which have nothing to do with my "contribution").

So they said, "where do ya want us to put all yer junk?" haha!! So i says, "how come ya don't has a spiritual alchemy forum without all that stoopid energy-work crap? that's not my deal!"

So they think maybe what I do is a little different than the neidan+gong traditions, which is true.

I hope they decide to have a Complete Reality section for …the time being anyway.❤

• Like 2

I hope they decide to have a Complete Reality section for …the time being anyway.❤

I think this is a good idea and I'm all for it.

It should be happening, but ya never know… I haven't heard anything about it from viator for a few days. Be sure to contact the mods, if you havent— they need to hear if people want it to happen.

I just wanna nice place to put all my junk! hahaha!!❤❤

Hi Deci Belle, Chris D, Adept.

So some discussion based on what you have said

I think Im understanding this idea of spontaneous adaption without going along with psychological or emotional karma.

Sort of like if your sitting in a room watching a TV program at any moment you can choose to change the flow/course, or if your in a conversation you dont go along with the flow of it, just change.

This seems like the opposite of Wuwei to me (although I may have a different definition of it) and not to say this doesnt interest me, I just havent heard of this before. And Deci Belle, not to presume anything but my definition of wuwei would be going along with the energy/flow kind of like a real life versus of spontaneous movements. (although my definition doesnt take into account the idea of control)

I was watching these clips on Mooji and how he was talking about resting in the "I am", I can agree, but sometimes I get into the thoughtless state, fairly often with effort and deeply but trying to tell myself "I Am, I AM" once there is the state of no thought seems counterintuitive and forced thinking, is it more about the space behind the realisation of "I am" or realising one is not the memories, sensations, thoughts, thinker etc. I like zazen and achieve good states of peace and also feel it helps me to disidentify from body pain...i.e if I start getting cramp I just go back to emptiness and it goes away (although I am new with this) Is this as simple as that?

hi sinansencer,

The tv analogy isn't working for me. No one is in control of the situation (unless you yourself are directing others with purposeful intent). My point is that you just find out what happened in the end, that's all; but unless you do not act arbitrarily, there is no way to find out what would have happened had you not interfered with self-reflective habit energy.

So for me, in the beginning, my motivation to not act arbitrarily was to actually find out what happened in a given situation without my habitual selfish intent interfering with spontaneous evolution. it wasn't because I wanted to practice alchemy— I just wanted to be free from my actions and others' responses. That was before I'd stumbled onto spiritual alchemy even though I'd already begun to practice it. I was just sick and tired of my habitual behavior spoiling natural inherent goodness and influencing situations negatively— so I just stopped acting with habit-energy.

It's not about change or even changing (it). It isn't even about not going along with changes. That's up to you. But whether you do go along with changes or don't, you do it or don't do it consciously. My point is that it is totally about not going along with your own habit energy, at first. When not going along with habit energy becomes the norm, you naturally don't even arouse feelings to forget. You truly don't know random or self-reflective thoughts— it's not that you don't know what's going on in the situation. You are not controlling anything. You arrive at not having anything to control, therefore you have no way to go out of control. So that's what the meaning of "nothing to loose" really is. And yes, as Janis Joplin sings, that's what "freedom is".

I was being totally facetious before about wuwei (non-doing doing)— if you want to get to the bottom of wuwei, study the 25th hexagram for starters, then realize that spontaneous action is hinged on spontaneous stillness. Neither active or still, not stuck on either. Free from thought before the first thought. This is Bankei's Unborn mind.

Resting in the "I am" is formal meditation. When you get to "telling yourself", you're dead meat, huh! Just note the teller's appearance and resume your rest in the "I am".

As far as "Is it as simple as that?" goes …don't know.

• Like 1

I will make an effort not to hijack this thread, as deci has done a lovely job expressing, but I feel I can add something to the discussion of "non-doing"...

In my experience, it is imperative to gauge the requirements of one as an "individual" to literally "un-do" or unlearn the conditioning. By this, I simply mean to take whatever measures necessary to allow one to objectively asses their capabilities and capacities (though a non-invasive 'teacher' can certainly help), such to start breaking down the learned "complexity" of ones own psyche. Some decide to fast in pitch blackness for a week as a means of "breaking down" their minds control over the temporal perception. Others just have to remember their inherent and infinite "simplicity", which may not consciously involve any energy work, mantras, meditation etc... The mind-imposed shackles are different for everyone.

Once you get your own mind and ego on the "side" of "spirit" it becomes like a robot you have programmed to take itself apart. Although, it can still just as easily rebuild itself as well as dissect.

"Conditioning" is not something to be looked upon as some sort of sickness ultimately, as viewing as such still carries an conditioned (yes the same conditioning) emotional charge, which keeps the ever-elusive assimilation into infinite "oneness" at arms length. Not to mention "infinity" is the one concept that a temporal consciousness cannot "contain" with a finite definition.

Paradox. (pair of ducks?!)

Accompanying this dynamic often is the separation between the "celestial energies" and the "earthly". For those who follow the ancient texts, immersion into oneness occurs when the "polarities" of the celestial and the earthly flip, thus trapping that combination of energy "inside". Call it "the elixir", "the spiritual embryo", or just "getting it". Use whatever words you want as they are crutches for a crippled mind who has yet to realize it doesn't need them to walk freely.

Extrapolating beyond the "embryo"...

All "things", "conscious" and "non-conscious" are simply the mixing of the tangible and the intangible, and thus is "life". The Tao serves as an inner network connection ALL "things" and "non-things".

In my experience, if I seek a "practice" as a means to an end, I will never get "there".

What is the rush to get anywhere anyway?

I need only to remember...

Much love, and thank you for the opportunity to express.

Lad

Other than the fact that one's life is a candle in the wind, one must not tarry nor rush ahead.

In the past I've climbed huge granite walls. There are instances where a piece you've attached to the rock is slowly slipping out as you calmly affix the next higher piece. The most efficient means to avoid disaster is to neither tarry nor rush ahead in spite of the fact that there is absolutely no time to spare …that's what gets you there.❤

I don't practice other than adapt to everyday ordinary situations. The issues and problems provided by conditioned evolution is all there is to work with. By not going along with potential in terms of its inherence as created manifestation, one is effectively seeing through phenomena. In so doing, one does nothing as far as the matrix of karmic momentum is concerned to resonate with it and this then is why potential is absorbed because you do not resonate with the polluted. You are a magnet for potential while the conditioned created energy slips past by virtue of your nonresistance and nonattachment.

You are already the same as both, because you do not differentiate, but real potential is living aware energy and the manifest is polluted potential death energy. As soon as yang culminates in the situation's creation cycle, it reverts to yin. When this harsh killing energy arises as it always does, adepts are poised to withdraw the fire and seal it away void of intellectualism.

In harmonizing with the real in the midst of the false, your wuwei/nonaction is resonant with primal nonorigination. It is a natural, inconceivable subtle operation requiring absolutely no intent or effort. Wuwei doesn't happen, it's not just you— it is inherent in the situation itself. It is the result of purity, truthfulness, sincere openness and unbending impersonal intent that cuts through every bit of it all at once in perpetuity.

By not using what can be seen in the course of adapting to situations for self-gratification, one is using the world for self-refinement instead of perpetuating a habitually random opportunistic speculative relationship with the world. This is "turning the light of awareness around to shine on its source" in everyday situations.

That is what practice is for me.

I just lump everything else into "formal exercises" because they are construed to arrest and neutralize the human mentality and emotional consciousness in order to give the weak original aware nature something to rest on in the beginning of a student's return to naturalness.

• Like 2

I don't get all ready and proceed to do heel-breathing, but it happens spontaneously on occasion. It is possible to do it deliberately, of course~ but I don't bother trying. I don't even know why it happens, but I'm sure some people do.

I don't have an extra eye that needs funny ski-goggles or anything so i can see through guys' um… that's what tights jeans are for~ hahhaa!!❤❤ The dharma eye or wisdom eye is open, yes. People don't necessarily try to fool me, but they sure do fool themselves and are perfectly happy to take anyone along with them down those purloined paths, if you know what I mean.

When one sees essence, impersonal primal knowing is accessed. Thereafter, according to one's continued gradual refinement in the aftermath of sudden awakening, the dharma eye develops. It is referred to in the alchemical manuals as "a grain, and another grain…" to denote the developmental capacity of endless aware potential in terms of the unfolding of the Golden Flower.

• Like 3

i've "spilled" my coffee while keeping it level.

Only one person has witnessed this. but by accident he saw the whole freaking coffee cup sitting in stillness while the coffee spilled into my lap.

Now he thinks i am possessed or my coffee is. or something, i dunno, he joked about it, i joked back, and honestly...

It's no big deal.

I laugh every time it happens. walking and running, my coffee sloshes safe, but i stop to let it settle so that it will spontaneously leap from the cup. cant explain it.

Thanks, deci belle,

I guess I have to wait until my eye is more developed to appreciate your writing.

Oh, I don't know… I'm just writing about the same things as the classics, hydrogen~ but, I admit that I may concentrate a bit more on the aftermath stuff, as that's where I'm at (not teaching students).

The fact is that before and after (realization) are no different in terms of the fractal aspect of the lifetime defining a cycle of creation whether it be a relationship's or event's waxing and waning. Self-refinement is being tuned into the timing of the firing process of the medicines as opposed to self gratification, that's all. That's where going along and reversing diverge.

Using the alchemic model either before or after is similar, but the emphasis is different. Just watching for the mind that does not think is all one can do in the beginning, but it doesn't have to be formal meditation. All I took to heart in the beginning was being mindful of natural goodness in myself and others, not as a blanket exoneration, but as it manifested spontaneously in ordinary situations and being sincerely content in that as the basic truth of human nature. It just kinda took off from that.

That being said, yes, acceptance of intrinsic goodness and also of one's basic state in the midst of everyday ordinary situations as is, is all anyone can ever do. Regardless of one's capacity for or present conscious development, just this is the highest practice, because it is already naturally so— and as it is so, it will never change; only grow.

This is the constant subtle concentration of whole unified open sincerity from start to finish. Without it, there is nothing to work with because Complete Reality is already just what it is. When this is recognized and accepted, and one ceases adding anything to it, the path opens up naturally.

• Like 2

Oh, I don't know… I'm just writing about the same things as the classics, hydrogen~ but, I admit that I may concentrate a bit more on the aftermath stuff, as that's where I'm at (not teaching students).

The fact is that before and after (realization) are no different in terms of the fractal aspect of the lifetime defining a cycle of creation whether it be a relationship's or event's waxing and waning. Self-refinement is being tuned into the timing of the firing process of the medicines as opposed to self gratification, that's all. That's where going along and reversing diverge.

Using the alchemic model either before or after is similar, but the emphasis is different. Just watching for the mind that does not think is all one can do in the beginning, but it doesn't have to be formal meditation. All I took to heart in the beginning was being mindful of natural goodness in myself and others, not as a blanket exoneration, but as it manifested spontaneously in ordinary situations and being sincerely content in that as the basic truth of human nature. It just kinda took off from that.

That being said, yes, acceptance of intrinsic goodness and also of one's basic state in the midst of everyday ordinary situations as is, is all anyone can ever do. Regardless of one's capacity for or present conscious development, just this is the highest practice, because it is already naturally so— and as it is so, it will never change; only grow.

Thanks for the detailed reply and advice.

So virtue is the highest practice.

In terms of dark virtue spoken of in the 10th chapter of the TTC, I say yes.

But beyond this, you make a good point, because in terms of the Power and its Virtue, the way is inaccessible in its obscurity, but its virtue is all we have for its expression— and its expression is impersonal as is its (and the nature of our) unborn awareness, so yes again.

A point I made earlier was of not habitually adding (oneself) to situations, that is, habitually taking it upon oneself to assert intent in terms of speculative relationship with creative (karmic) evolution, because this then is arbitrary action, which perpetuates karma and your entanglement in it. This nondoing activity is virtue.

Finally, the Yin Convergence Classic speaks of the Virtue of the Receptive. We can't know the Way, even in terms of penetrating the absolute and seeing our essential nature's nonoriginated causeless nonbeing and transcendental function. The reason the sage does not act and the master carpenter does no cutting is because of this. Practicing this is, from the start, all anyone can do before and after realization because this, and only this, is in harmony with our impersonal nature and what naturally accesses the power of incipient spiritual development.

Not one tiny aspect of practicing this function's reality entails entertaining intellectual understanding, so there is no reason why my eye's awakening can possibly limit your eye's awakening.

What is most important then is not acting arbitrarily. Because of having weaned ourselves from habitual investments in conditioned phenomena, we are then open to receptivity of the arising of real potential in the very midst of our worldly affairs.

• Like 3

Bumping this thread. I'm not sure if deci belle is with us anymore. It would indeed be a sad loss.

Hope she's reading this.

Anyway, I was reading the introduction to Thomas Cleary's translation of The Book of Balance and Harmony and he makes some very interesting comments:

Taoism perceives that the originators of civilization itself are people of higher knowledge attained through extradimensional awareness … all successful original cultures are initiated and guided by people in contact with the Tao or Universal law.
Thomas Cleary

It is Cleary’s contention that from this Taoist vision, “Taoism is not, as usually thought, a product of Chinese civilization. Rather it is the other way about – Chinese civilization was originally the product of Taoism in the sense that like all successful original cultures it was initiated and guided by people in contact with the Tao or universal law.“(The Book of Balance and Harmony, Cleary, 1989) What a powerful concept and a perfect focus for renewal and transformation.

Thomas Cleary in his book of the translation of The Book of Balance and Harmony (1989)identifies that the Taoist movement called the Complete Reality movement was created to distinguish a practical understanding of Taoism as it had been lost over time. Cleary writes that ” ironically, one of the most comprehensive descriptions of Taoism … can be found in a Buddhist text, the Avatamsaka-sutra or Flower Ornament Scripture,” which he said is “held to contain the totality of all religion:”

The various methods and techniques of the enlightened adapt to worldly conditions in order to liberate people. The enlightened provoke deep faith by being in the world yet unaffected by it, just as the lotus grows in water yet water does not adhere to the lotus.

With extraordinary thoughts and profound talent, as cultural leaders, like magicians the enlightened manifest all the various arts and crafts of the world, like song and dance, and conversation admired by the people.

Some become grandees, city elders; some become merchants, caravan leaders. Some become physicians and scientists, some become kings and officials…..
All-sided goodness abides by reality, not in a country. - Thomas
Cleary, The Flower Ornament Scripture

I mean, wow ! The most comprehensive description of Daoism in an Indian Buddhist text ?

Thomas Cleary's works are brilliant.

This is where the border between Taoism and Buddhism disintegrates and becomes one. As far as I see it, and I haven't read the Avatamsaka Sutra, only bits and pieces here and there, is that both the Daoist texts and the Avatamsaka are trying to describe the Inconceivable, the Indescribable, the Mystery of Mysteries, Totality. Only the Avatamsaka is using Mahayana Indian Buddhist terminology.

I spoke a while ago to deci belle about reading and studying the Avatamsaka as I felt it was describing similar things to the Daoist texts. I knew she had read it in it's entirety and I was looking for some positive feedback. Her reply to me was not to bother with something of that magnitude when smaller, and more easily understandable texts were available. To study the Avatamsaka would require a long, long time.

I dunno. I'm still curious. I've even had dreams about it ! Maybe it's worth delving into for a lifetime of study. The reading and study would become a meditation in itself.

• Like 2

Dreaming of the Flower Ornament scripture is still dreaming.

Wake up to your own mind and delve into that as a lifetime of study.

There has never been another teacher.

The fact of the matter is one cannot view the classics by the eyes of a tathagata without seeing through the eyes of a tathagata.

Otherwise people could not become confused themselves by studying them. Objectivity is the prerequisite.

I told you that studying the Avatamsaka Sutra is like studying air. If that suites you, fine. I find myself getting by occasionally not even breathing air. Why spend a lifetime studying air when an instant of mind-study will penetrate the source of sages, saints and buddhas?

It took lifetimes to write the Hua Yin Sutra. It is a comprehensive description, but it is not the reality. It takes an instant to see selfless nonorigination, but a lifetime to harmonize the absolute within the relative. Just this is practice. Unless you see your nature, what would you dare harmonize? What would you comprehend?

Soften the light

dull the edges

close the doors

When there is nothing you could possibly fear missing out on, this is arrival.

So just get the danged 10 kilo, 1500 page doorstop and use it to keep your door closed~ heehee❤!!

ed note: delete extra "the" in the fourth sentence

Edited by deci belle
  • Like 1

The enlightened provoke deep faith by being in the world yet unaffected by it, just as the lotus grows in water yet water does not adhere to the lotus.

Best Cleary line I've seen.