WillingToListen

How do you feel about tattoos of occult symbols?

I've heard a number of people say to not get any kind of spiritual/occult symbol tattooed, because it can have a detrimental effect on my life spiritually/mentally.

What are your opinions on getting tattoos of spiritual/occult symbols?

Bad Ass!

I don't have any... ...yet, but there is some symbolism I want as it has deep personal significance to me, and I tend to lean towards the "hey, why not?" position.

Of course if I was really motivated I would have had them years ago...

Also, spiritual people get so uptight about everything {myself included sometimes} and go on and on about whether it is the 'ego' or not, as if ego decisions are some 'bad' thing... I'm not really in to that.

If I make it to being and old man someday I imagine I would like seeing my faded and blurry tats, and get a chuckle out of my decisions as a young whipper snapper.

Putting symbols on your skin is one thing. Better to imprint them in your BEING if they mean that much to you...ie meditation. Best of luck :)

My 2 cents, Peace

• Like 1

I have never gotten a tattoo, because I change too quickly to think I could get away with a permanent mark I'd never regret.

No matter the symbology, no matter how much it means to me today...it might not mean the same thing to me tomorrow.

I have no comment on any other aspect, like what kind of spiritual effects it might have...I don't know. :)

Edit for an o.

Edited by Cat Pillar

My ex had an Ohm hand-tattood onto the back of her neck. She was a yoga devotee, so it is pretty significant to her as well. She has said that it is also a seal of sorts to her for spiritual protection.

I, like Cat Pillar above, have never gotten one, otherwise I would have a full sleeve of Metallica's 1989 album ...And Justice For All on my left arm, and a Bar Code on my right wrist, a full length snake rising up my spine with chakra symbols, and the Egyptian Weighing of the Heart ceremony on my left chest. If these had of been done impulsively, as I tend to be, I would have regretted them all, especially Metallica, since I ditched them for Bob Dylan!

• Like 4

Interesting question. In Islam it is said that people with tattoos are 'cursed', unless they repent of course. I wonder if it has something to do with God reserving the power of creation through words (symbols) for itself...?

Personally, I think tattoos ought to have personal significance. It ought to be a symbol that stands for you or that continually inspires you. Cosmetic impulse tattoos don't have much value for me. Even 'artistic' tattoos aren't useful if they aren't connected to a deeper sense of meaning.

So it's important to choose a symbol wisely. The great thing about symbols is that they don't have inherent meaning. They only have the meaning we give them. I'd rather choose a symbol than an image. A nice bagua, for instance, versus a picture of a Buddha.

Moderation is the key too. Too many tattoos is not cool, imo. I don't care for sleeves etc. But that's my taste, I guess. I wonder if placement is a thing, considering key energy points around the body. However, given that everything is energy, the amount of energy from tattoo ink would not be enough to rewrite your spiritual nature, lol. And eventually it resonates with the rest of the body, becoming one with it.

Some might see tattooing as a kind of sigil magic in practice. Hmm...

8)

• Like 1

I've heard a number of people say to not get any kind of spiritual/occult symbol tattooed, because it can have a detrimental effect on my life spiritually/mentally.

What are your opinions on getting tattoos of spiritual/occult symbols?

It's your life. It's your body. Do whatever you like. Life is an experiment and experience. Life is meant to be lived.

You are the mater of your own universe. Your belief is your reality. Whoever said that tatoo is detrimental doesn't understand the basic rules.

I might get a tatoo just for the heck of experience. I sometimes see a intricate red and blue pattern floating around. I haven't been abel to capture it yet. When I do, I'll tatoo it on me.

• Like 2

I really want a heavily embellished hexagram on my hand (I've seen it in visions/dreams for the last few years) and some ancient symbols on a couple of my fingers. Idunno hand tattoos are really attractive to me, i guess it's the geography of it and the "letting go" that comes with the decision.

I know it's somewhat of an "ego" thing, but i'm not sure what kind of life a human without an ego would live in a busy city in america. Mine became really deflated at a point and I had to "build it back up" just to stop getting preyed on by everything around me :/

When I get the money I'm going through with it. I think it's cool and it means a lot to me

My Avatar is intended for a tatoo about "brain sized" on my back between my shoulders.

My tattoo has prerequisites:

it must be tattooed on in accordance to the principals of my own body; i.e. acupressure and acupuncture must be utilized during the process.

Until i can encounter a tattoo artist who also knows enough about acupuncture and as well can afford their service, my tattoo will only be embedded in my mind and not my skin.

What is in a symbol? Much of it is learned archetypal expression. Concepts "thought up" in lesser dense realities and thus manifested into "solidity" in this "density". Many symbols carry a subconscious as well as conscious energetic charge.

I am an anarchist, and often wear shirts with large "circle As" on them. My allowance of the self-label of "anarchist" is simply because I know at the core of my being that government of others is unnecessary, and TRUE salvation is found through a completely and consciously voluntary existence.

Initially, I wore the shirts as a statement to the outer world such to get people's attention, since society has made anarchists out to be molitov cocktail wielding hooligans in masks. Then I realized most people don't know that symbol, haha!

I got "That's a cool t-shirt, does it represent Chris Angel?"

In terms of Taoist practice, I would consider any tatoo or more generally any "external" expression a creation of potential to experience "self".

Stoking "the furnace" to put it another way.

Full disclosure, I have no tattoos :-)

I was a tattoo artist years ago.

I mixed my/our blood in ink and made some sigils with them for me and my wife.

I have MANY OCCULT TATTOOS

• Like 1

I have been fortunate with some open minded tattoo artists. They allowed me to bless the ink and light a candle prior to the tattoo. Also in one case they allowed me to take the bottle of ink home overnight to place on my altar :).

Hmmm occult tattoos, well as long as people put some thought into the blood offering they are doing first, all is well. ...

• Like 1

I want to get a tattoo of myself , life-size, over my whole body

and thats not ego ....

But seriously though: I have a few. My opinion is; it makes perfect sense. And in some cases of initiation - was required. Some had an issue with that, I already had some by then so it made perfect sense to me.

There is the whole thing that people go on with; "What if you change your mind or lifestyle and then you are stuck with it?"

Well, thats fine for people who have an unclear path but my answer to that is That is the whole point of the magical tattoo ... its a dedication and expression of one's life journey or True Will ... you want it there as a reminder in case you might be tempted to swerve from your path ... or more importantly (as more commonly) one gets distracted or 'forgets' then the tatt reminds.

If I make it to being and old man someday I imagine I would like seeing my faded and blurry tats, and get a chuckle out of my decisions as a young whipper snapper.

:) Speaking from experience (am I an old man yet ... getting bloody close ! ) that is exactly right ! Actually, more than a chuckle, as I said, a reminder of intent but also many fond memories ... like a photo album ...

Putting symbols on your skin is one thing. Better to imprint them in your BEING if they mean that much to you...ie meditation. Best of luck :)

My 2 cents, Peace

That was the idea ... I would not get a tattoo that I didnt want imprinted on my being ... one can declare or imagine or make something imprinted on one's being ... but with a tattoo it becomes real and is a commitment to a principle .

Errrmmm I dont think I would get a pony tatt or a jet ski (voted the worst tat of 2008 )

I have a Lodge password on my upper arm (in code ^_^ ) an animal that is a prime totem on the other; large hieroglyphics (Feather of Maat ) inside of each forearm. Star of Therion on chest with second degree symbol inside that. R+C fifth degree symbol over heart and two headed red eagle on other side (Knight of the east and West) .

Most are probably familiar with this version from Manly P. Hall's 'Secret teachings of All Ages';

eyes-wide-2-13.jpg

But it isnt red.

The forearm ones are the most prominent to my vision and serve as a good reminder and focus.

< checks body to see if he has forgotten any :D >

I dont regret any of them; each one has an important meaning, memory and comes with a 'set of instructions' - IMO invaluable .

But unless you are absolutely sure about it and committed for life .... I would suggest further procrastination . ;)

• Like 1

I think in about 40 years, there are going to be a lot very confused grandchildren wandering around.

Not in my case ... one needs children first .... at this stage I am happy to be 'weird old Uncle Nungali.'

Heck ... every family should have one of those!

• Like 3

So when the bible thumpers come to your door, just take your shirt off? :)

you can see it when I wear a tank top which I wear everywhere, even out to restaurants

so everyone sees it

I also have big bold red letters that say:

SATAN

on other side of pectoral

and RIP Jesus with a tombstone on my arm

other arm a huge demon eating jesus' head and cervical spine

other similar stuff too :)

I have this tattooed near my belly button for protection ,good luck and better functioning of Dan Tian

unicorn-picture.gif

OK just joking.

I do have a sort of magical rates of passage one and only small tattoo done 20 years ago that has deep personal meaning , but without any conventional symbols. Felt right thing to do at time .

• Like 2

Like Christmas trees, I find them pretty cool, but don't think I'll ever get one. The chanting practice (Rawn Clarks YHVH) I do has you imagine some letters on various body parts though.

you can see it when I wear a tank top which I wear everywhere, even out to restaurants

so everyone sees it

I also have big bold red letters that say:

SATAN

on other side of pectoral

and RIP Jesus with a tombstone on my arm

other arm a huge demon eating jesus' head and cervical spine

other similar stuff too :)

You don't live in Texas do you SotG? ;)

Like Christmas trees, I find them pretty cool, but don't think I'll ever get one. The chanting practice (Rawn Clarks YHVH) I do has you imagine some letters on various body parts though.

those stay in your aura