deci belle

Stepping Over Eternity

Stepping Over Eternity

Stepping over eternity isn't a matter of seeing your nature

because the unattributable nature of awareness is inherent.

Inasmuch as it's you already, there is no eternity to speak of,

therefore there is no stepping over in terms of realization.

Stepping over eternity is accomplished momentarily

without relying on anyone else, so it is done independently

without involving cause, therefore it is not a matter of response

but rather the result of recognizing nonpsychological spirit.

Since stepping over eternity is perennially active as the result

of the power of impersonal intent independent of conditions,

obviously it is not a matter of movement either.

Not stillness, not movement; not self, not other—

Sudden enlightenment is the result of just this kind of activity!

Even so, how could I mislead others by saying

there is relying on an instantaneous flash of selfless wonder

and enable the conceits of the ignorant to blaze within their very hypocrisy

that claims enlightenment isn't "that big a part" of taoist teaching either.

What a comfortable little spot that rat's nest is.

Stepping over eternity is not some other time, place, or person.

On one mental moment

there are past and present

of all worlds.

Since this is so, before the first thought~

who does the beginning?

In just this "on one mental moment there are past and present of all worlds"

you do not entertain fascinations regarding self and other

and eternity is traversed.

You have no changes here~

and though the depth and breadth of creation

has been completely transcended without stooping

to movement or stillness in terms of self and other…

before the first thought

one already knows.

The reason there are teachers

is not to offer views to seeklings

because essence cannot be taught:

People must see essence on there own.

is to guide those who arrive

in the aftermath of realization.

Essence is inherent; it has only to be witnesses oneself.

is to manifest the application of subtle awareness

by treading the path of prior illuminates in endless transformations.

If by treading the path of prior illuminates

we arrive at the applications of subtle awareness

one can begin to realize the value of wisdom

that is in the application of its virtue

has no cause.

One who endeavors to activate causeless reality within oneself

is already coeval in subtle operation taking over creation

and is beyond the feeble practices of the smaller vehicle.

The knowledge of causelessness

and its application in ordinary affairs

is independent of intellectual understanding

and is not the result of sudden enlightenment—

Carried out over a long period of time, it is the cause of it.

On one mental moment there are past and present of all worlds.

Since this is so, before the first thought~ who does the beginning?

Before the first thought, who already knows?

From this it is clear that one who steps over eternity

does so for all times and places without conventions

relying on before and after.

Neither seeking acceptance nor avoiding censure

in full view of prior illuminates looking back on the path perpetually arriving

those traversing the abyss of the eternity of creative evolution in one step

arrive without striving nor tarrying—

only responding according to the timing

by riding the nonpsychological spirit

inherent in the situation itself.

• Like 6

"When all our obstacles have been overcome, and we find ourselves in a state of total presence, the wisdom of enlightenment manifests spontaneously without limits, just like the infinite rays of the sun. The clouds have dissolved, and the sun is finally free to shine once again."

:)

"When all our obstacles have been overcome, and we find ourselves in a state of total presence, the wisdom of enlightenment manifests spontaneously without limits, just like the infinite rays of the sun. The clouds have dissolved, and the sun is finally free to shine once again."

This is very good, Jeff~ however, I am addressing subtle function and as I stated at the very beginning of the thread:

Please, I would very much wish for you to bore deeper into this thing. Since it is itself the cause of realization that itself passes through temporal and absolute together, I urge you to go straight ahead and penetrate deeply with uncommon resolve.❤

• Like 1

Thank you, CT and Jeff, for working through this passage. I have read through it a few times more and still didn't change anything.

The term stepping over eternity denotes the subtle function of enlightening being wherein one passes through situations by the power of potential inherent in the situation itself without partaking in the energy of karma even as one deals with characteristics of phenomena.

The reason I ask you, Jeff, to bore deeper, is that there is no avoiding the reality of polluted killing energy in the midst of affairs if one is going to take over creation and practice the Great Vehicle of Sages and Buddhas in the midst of ordinary situations.

In terms of the absolute, what you spoke of is appropriate. But what I have brought up here not only transcends conditioned created cycles of karmic yin and yang, it fuses absolute and temporal in one living liquid pearl outside of creation where one assesses primordial chaos in a single turn.

In case Jeff finds my florid style over the top, i will say this…

Primordial chaos is presence itself come to life without intermediary in ordinary affairs: there has never been another time, place, or person.

Assessing chaos in a single turn

Ruthless compassion does not burn.

does so for all times and places in complete spontaneity

without conventions relying on before and after.

ed note: add everything below the first sentence

Edited by deci belle

If you are going to quote someone, it is common courtesy to post the link or just acknowledge the author.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=UXK9JGMVW9IC&pg=PA73&lpg=PA73&dq=wisdom+of+enlightenment+manifests+spontaneously+without+limits&source=bl&ots=v6qlrI5uxe&sig=5DKqH7-yKpJX0hcP4U4KPh-4Xb8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=X1UkUeXWDcPfiAKzwoCYAQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=wisdom%20of%20enlightenment%20manifests%20spontaneously%20without%20limits&f=false

TI

• Like 1

I noticed that Jeff had quoted that phrase. We don't quibble about that on my threads~ I myself don't bother to do so on others' threads because not only do I expect people to know the sources of attributable statements from decades of absorption in the Classics, but because I own them.

My threads are not scholarly venues~ they are for those who would enter the source of the life and breath of the buddhist and taoist canons without regard for teachers, teachings and traditions. Mind is not defined by any wisdom tradition.

—but thanks anyway, TI… I can totally appreciate your concern❤

• Like 1

Your articles are always so fascinating, deci belle. Poetic, too.

A part of me feels like this article makes sense...but I can't relate it to anything, and there's no "aha!" or real understanding of it...just a flow of words that seems legit without any rhyme or reason.

Maybe some day I'll understand. :)

• Like 1

The reason I ask you, Jeff, to bore deeper, is that there is no avoiding the reality of polluted killing energy in the midst of affairs if one is going to take over creation and practice the Great Vehicle of Sages and Buddhas in the midst of ordinary situations.

In terms of the absolute, what you spoke of is appropriate. But what I have brought up here not only transcends conditioned created cycles of karmic yin and yang, it fuses absolute and temporal in one living liquid pearl outside of creation where one assesses primordial chaos in a single turn.

In case Jeff finds my florid style over the top, i will say this…

Primordial chaos is presence itself come to life without intermediary in ordinary affairs: there has never been another time, place, or person.

Assessing chaos in a single turn

Ruthless compassion does not burn.

does so for all times and places in complete spontaneity

without conventions relying on before and after.

ed note: add everything below the first sentence

Hi Deci,

I love your florid style. The grace of your words flow with great poetry. But, things like "polluted killing energy" is only a perception of the mind. And one who steps over eternity, steps beyond the mind. In stepping beyond the mind, "the wisdom of enlightenment manifests spontaneously without limits, just like the infinite rays of the sun.", so I thought the quote was a useful addition to the thread.

Best wishes, Jeff

p.s. TI - I thought the beauty and meaning of the quote stood on its own. Also, had I added the author, one of our friends would have probably said "bad translation". :)

God, tell me about it, haha! We use quotes around here. They serve us. But I gotta tell ya…

NO ONE STEPS BEYOND MIND.

Polluted killing energy is for those who see it. You have yet to fathom your own mind, Jeff.

The thread-starter is the subtle function within unity of conventional and absolute. It is not for you to agree or not. This is not an opinion, nor is it an interpretation. If you don't already see and enact this, it is beyond your ken at this time.

THIS IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION— I WROTE THE BOOK.

I want you to stop making such useful contributions. Why? You cannot make use of your own mind to see through anything. How could you possibly be able to determine what is useful? It also screws up what I'm trying to say in my own words (as if that weren't difficult enough). I really don't need or want your help, ok?❤ It makes me try to act nice especially to you and I don't want to nor should I have to.

Don't try to syphon off a little bit of emotional energy from me. Realize your place and avoid the temptation to contribute, if you must say something to save yourself, PM me.

Generally, when I write a piece, it does not need additional contributions from anyone~ especially from people who have yet to break through their own karmic barriers.

If you must contribute useful additions to my articles, please feel free to actually conceive and write original material, hmmm? And them maybe start contributing your own material to the articles section. Not just posting anything you please there, but actually writing in depth reports of profound ineffability. If you cannot conceive and write original material, maybe that says something about your current knowledge and experience. Please work on this.

Otherwise, I totally get your point about naming names~ and as I stated, we don't play that game on my threads!! If a quote dovetails with what you are already saying— don't be shy.

Ooh~ now I need a manicure …and it's all your fault, Jeff❤

THIS IS NOT UP FOR DISCUSSION— I WROTE THE BOOK.

Dear Deci,

There is no "I" who "wrote the book" in primordial awareness/emptiness/God. Enlightenment is not found in the mind.

Best wishes, Jeff

Shut the ufck up Jeff. Thanks.

I apologize for hurting your feelings. That was not my intent.

Jeff

Oh the irony of reverse psychology! You hurt my nails, dear~ not my feelings.

BTW, when you overcome all your obstacles~ is that before or after your overcome your self, hmmmmm?

Do let me know when that happens❤

Oh the irony of reverse psychology! You hurt my nails, dear~ not my feelings.

BTW, when you overcome all your obstacles~ is that before or after your overcome your self, hmmmmm?

Do let me know when that happens❤

I don't quite understand the context of your reverse psychology comment, but I am glad hear that there are no hurt feelings. :)

On your question regarding when one overcomes the self...

It depends on how one defines the "self". As you have beautifully described in your opening post, there is a stage in the process where one sees beyond the ego (or percieved self) and recognizes the natural state of mind. And as you have described, one can percieve with meaningful clarity what happens in the world and act appropriately to the real situation. But, the issues is that while one has significant clarity, there still exists many obstructions and automated responses in the mind. Anger is a perfect example of this. Whenever the subconscious obstructions/fears/issues are hit, the ego responds in an outburst in an attempt to protect itself.

Removing obstructions in the mind is an ongoing (basically infinite) process, because even after one starts to clear away local body-mind, one starts to notice the broader existence of universal mind. Beginning to realize universal mind is where all the "non-normal daily life" fun stuff starts to happen and get interesting. But, even siddhis and astral worlds are still of the mind. Primoridal awareness/God/the pure moment are outside of time & space and beyond mind.

Best regards, Jeff

Unfortunately, it has once again become necessary to put Jeff on my ignore list~ only this time, not because I care.

In order to shed some light for beginning students to guide them into the right path because they may not know how …or even what real practice is, and fail to consumate the task of a student by settling into false imaginings about the tao; because I see them falling into random deceptions by habitual attachment to intellect and temperament and fooling themselves and others, only to grow old without development:

Students should hasten to drop their illusions and thoroughly investigate principle and meaning to arrive at the correct psychological posture to enter the gradual path of self-refinement. When you empty the mind of self-satisfaction in spurious exercises and philosophical interpretations of even authentic teaching, you can fill the belly with real knowledge.

• Like 1

Hi Deci,

I did not realize that this was the second time for me on your ignore list...

Is one "full" when they are no longer open to discussion or varying points of view?

Best wishes on your path.

Jeff

At the right time, just out of the valley,

You rise lightly into the spiritual firmament.

The jade girl rides a blue phoenix,

The gold boy offers a scarlet peach.

One strums a brocade lute amidst the flowers,

One plays jewel pipes under the moon.

One day immortal and mortal are separated,

And you coolly cross the ocean.

—Sun Bu-er

East Mountain walks on water

Though there is no such movement

Still it flows on black as space.

Endless transformations within self and other

Without deliberations setting up self and other

Comprehends the pearl hovering before causes.

What unifies sense experience and the Unborn

has nothing to do with mystical awakening

Stepping over Creation is just forgetting fascinations.

Forever free of self-reflective fixations

And self-degrading entanglements

You wander along a slight incline.

• Like 2

The first stanza is just saying that stepping over eternity is not a matter of mystical experience, because the absolute exists before the dichotomy of yin and yang, i.e. it's not created, therefore it isn't in the scope of discussing "stepping over". You don't step over what is inherent, only what is conditioned.

Eternity is Creation, numberless universes arising and subsiding in one mental moment, its depth, profundity, self-sundering allure and fascination; the totality of the might of Mara and rule of karma.

Stepping over eternity is accomplished momentarily

without relying on anyone else, so it is done independently

without involving cause, therefore it is not a matter of response

but rather the result of recognizing nonpsychological spirit.

Stanza two says one traverses creation, transcends fascinations with it and one's relative sense of being it, in an instant.

Independently, without relying on causes and conditions, as a result of recognizing the unborn nonpsychological spirit before a single thought, one steps over the totality of karmic rule and the tyranny of having a self, the fallacy of identity. This is the place where one enters the path of adepts in the midst of ordinary situations unbeknownst to anyone.

Since stepping over eternity is perennially active as the result

of the power of impersonal intent independent of conditions,

obviously it is not a matter of movement either.

Not stillness, not movement; not self, not other—

Sudden enlightenment is the result of just this kind of activity!

Stanza three just says that stepping over isn't something one does, it's just one's functional posture symbolic of acting beyond the confines of karmic evolution. One enters the path of prior illuminates by responding to reality, not our habitual self-reflecting image of a separate identity dependent on its relativity with externals we are either killing or being killed by. It's not a strategy, but strategy is the result of its mastery. This is the very reason why The Art of War is included in the Taoist canon. BTW, it was written by a woman long before ink ever saw the page.

Even so, how could I mislead others by saying

there is relying on an instantaneous flash of selfless wonder

and enable the conceits of the ignorant to blaze within their very hypocrisy

that claims enlightenment isn't "that big a part" of taoist teaching either.

Stanza four relates what a comfortable little spot that rat's nest is.

Stepping over eternity simply has nothing to do with seeing essence.

Sudden enlightenment has its own bag of worms that must be dealt with in its aftermath that can very well take years. Some never exit the dark cave of attachment to the absolute after seeing essence. Don't think enlightenment is a thing~ before OR after. It is simple an evidence of efficacy in terms of one's ongoing practice— that's it.

I never had a clue that some people sought it as something to strive for and it took me years to figure out what the hell had happened, but eventually I did— you see, I never had anyone to tell, much less ask for thirty years. I don't believe this or any other forum is that big a deal in that regard, in terms of learning stepping over eternity and accomplishing the subtle operation of endless transformations surpassing an instantaneous flash of selfless wonder. There are people born knowing.

The very fact of stepping over is what facilitates gradual practice before and after realization occurs. As long as one does not gain a sense of potential in actual affairs that is transcendently inherent in situations themselves and recognizes it as such in order to follow it and not the phenomenal realm, one might as well, as they say, be boiling sand instead of the alchemical elixir of immortality. You will never accomplish the great transformation— even if you want to. How much the less for those who don't even bother to wonder about and work at discovering the totality of their real immaterial body.

So there is that special brand of taoist that considers enlightenment a thing it is not and also claims taoism is not about giving birth to immortal enlightening beings. This is like living off your parents even after they're dead and claiming that all their inconceivable effort that now provides for your "day-care" taoist life-style isn't all that big a deal. Consider the peerless ancients who accomplished complete reality and entry into the tao before actually writing the classics. Who never bothers to wonder how they could have actually arrived at the understanding of complete reality to accomplish the task of leaving the secrets of the knowledge of the Causeless behind for us?!! I assure you that not a single one of those people passed off spiritual enlightenment as "not all that big" a deal.

Utterly unconscionable is what this kind of person is, wallowing in one's own conceit of ignorance and doing absolutely nothing to requite an inconceivable debt and all the while throwing around terms like yellow sprouts, cultivation and the like.

What a comfortable little spot that rat's nest is.

ed note: Add "Stanza four relates…" near the top of the page

Edited by deci belle

On one mental moment

there are past and present

of all worlds.

The 5th stanza is just saying there is no other time, place, or person and there has never been so. It's just you, here, now, for the first time in forever; there are no precedents and no causes to influence your limitless ability to adapt to the time freely.

When you yourself are done weaving hairs and creating your own entanglements unawares based on views of self and other, on one mental moment there are past and present of all worlds coming and going without end comes to an end for you.

So stepping over eternity is a matter of being done with the world on your terms. That's what stepping over is. From now on, you can respond selflessly, impersonally and precisely, according to the timing of situations on your terms, because there are no dependencies, no needs, nothing to differentiate based on self and other, right or wrong, before or after.

It's also taking over creation and stealing potential according to the time too, because knowing the pivot of creation, you stand subtly aside, somehow, of the influence of creation. At the right time, you just pick out the real from the matrix of the polluted simply by not going along with the flow of conditioned energy.

It's a very strange affair, because, in a way, it is like deliberately putting your self into a trap you know has been set up by circumstances, and without wanting or needing or being compelled to do so, you just trip the trap at precisely the exact timing called for in terms of the celestial, full well knowing that that is what you have done. It is never a matter of reasoning, but of the time. But you neither do anything after that that a normal person could be expected to do because your motivation had nothing based on convention. You just know it is time to act, then you just stop. And that is all I can say about it.

This is inconceivability that no one knows. You don't even know it. You just know that it is up to no one but you. This is enlightening being and the beginning of the Virtue of the Receptive where response according to the timing is inconceivable.

• Like 1