Sign in to follow this  
9th

Where has Drew gone?

Is he off preaching the ways of the majesty that is the full lotus position? Did he finally manage to build that UFO from his own pubic hairs? Seems he hasnt been here in a while.

I just discovered that the Wanderling has a nice long page about him regarding some sort of discussion that took place here.

http://the-wanderling.com/hempel.html

Quite interesting! They seem like a match made in heaven.

Is he off preaching the ways of the majesty that is the full lotus position? Did he finally manage to build that UFO from his own pubic hairs? Seems he hasnt been here in a while.

I just discovered that the Wanderling has a nice long page about him regarding some sort of discussion that took place here.

http://the-wanderling.com/hempel.html

Quite interesting! They seem like a match made in heaven.

Yeah I was joking with my qigong friend that Chunyi Lin's Heart Sutra c.d. was him calling in the big black triangle gray alien mother ship. My friend wants to have a translation of Chunyi Lin's Heart Sutra chanting since most of it is Chunyi Lin's own words.

So if anyone is up to that task - seems like there's some techno-wizards around who know Chinese also. I figured some kind of voice recording transcription program would probably still muddle the Mandarin - I figure but maybe it's Cantonese as that's his usual language.

Oh on the Wanderling stuff -- I did a follow up response to his follow up response....

http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com/2012/08/revisiting-wanderling-after-he-writes.html

Oh I see the Wanderling has followed up with more comments after my follow up response.

That's great!

Only he says I have a web page about William Samuel - but that's not my webpage.

Glad to see he's still positive about my comments.

OH wait -- yeah here is a follow-up I've done that the Wanderling has not commented on yet:

http://fulllotusqigong.blogspot.com/2012/09/the-wanderlings-achievement-of.html

Edited by pythagoreanfulllotus
  • Like 1

Heres another one for you, Big D..

http://unreasonable.org/node/3267

I especially like the "retro-causal echo" of the Blue Star Kachina theory. It takes a very special mind to think that an echo of the end of the world traveling back in time is a more plausible explanation for a light in the sky than a misfired rocket.

In Pinchbeck's opinion, the "the rational, empirical worldview...has reached its expiration date". [Anastas] But the fact that he can make statements like the Blue Star Kachina retro-causal echo thing and still be taken seriously by so many, demonstrates that many (perhaps most) people haven't even opened the wrapper on rationality.

And perhaps this is the big difference between the "industrial strength shamanism" we've been discussing, and the ideas being peddled by Pinchbeck and his ilk: where plastic shamans see rationality as a threat, an industrial strength shaman sees it as a valuable reality tunnel for getting practical things done in the physical world.

Pinchbeck seems so ridiculous that I can almost imagine that he is playing a giant practical joke: that when nothing especially momentous happens in December 2012, he will pull off the mask and say, "Gotcha! Boy, I can't believe people took that stuff seriously!"

That might be pretty funny, if it wasn't for what happened to Dan Carpenter.

Carpenter was a member of Pinchbeck's psychedelic circle, from the early days before Pinchbeck went coocoo for Quetzalcoatl. He was a frequent poster on Pinchbeck's online discussion board, and went to New York to meet him in person. [Grigoriadis] Carpenter was close enough to Pinchbeck that Pinchbeck wrote an encouraging forward to Carpenter's book, A Psychonaut's Guide to the Invisible Landscape; [Pinchbeck, Foreward] the book describes thirteen trips Carpenter took on DXM powder, the anesthetic in cough syrup.

These trips took him into a powerful experience of apophenia, a headspace where every little coincidence and event was fraught with meaning and portent, and left him with the impression everything was "somehow a program....[t]here is no free will -- only the sense there is."

And so, following the program, Daniel Carpenter hanged himself.

At least one other of Pinchbeck's followers has also committed suicide. [Grigoriadis] Sadly, this is the danger when psychedelic visions are prized to the exclusion of "the rational, empirical worldview".

To be clear: I am by no means opposed to the responsible use of psychedelic or entheogenic substances. Far from it. They are powerful tools of transformation, and used properly might -- just might -- help us develop new ways of thinking that can help us get the planet out of the mess it's in.

But when someone starts taking their own feedback-saturated perceptions as seriously as Pinchbeck does, it's time to point out that drug-induced hallucinations are a piss-poor guide to consensus reality.

There are a lot of very fine people who like Pinchbeck's work. I've even attended several great discussions put on by the Baltimore "spore" of "Evolver", a social network that developed out Pinchbeck's blog. But Pinchbeck himself is in need of a good solid grounding, and a class in remedial critical thinking.

Heres another one for you, Big D..

http://unreasonable.org/node/3267

I especially like the "retro-causal echo" of the Blue Star Kachina theory. It takes a very special mind to think that an echo of the end of the world traveling back in time is a more plausible explanation for a light in the sky than a misfired rocket.

In Pinchbeck's opinion, the "the rational, empirical worldview...has reached its expiration date". [Anastas] But the fact that he can make statements like the Blue Star Kachina retro-causal echo thing and still be taken seriously by so many, demonstrates that many (perhaps most) people haven't even opened the wrapper on rationality.

And perhaps this is the big difference between the "industrial strength shamanism" we've been discussing, and the ideas being peddled by Pinchbeck and his ilk: where plastic shamans see rationality as a threat, an industrial strength shaman sees it as a valuable reality tunnel for getting practical things done in the physical world.

Pinchbeck seems so ridiculous that I can almost imagine that he is playing a giant practical joke: that when nothing especially momentous happens in December 2012, he will pull off the mask and say, "Gotcha! Boy, I can't believe people took that stuff seriously!"

That might be pretty funny, if it wasn't for what happened to Dan Carpenter.

Carpenter was a member of Pinchbeck's psychedelic circle, from the early days before Pinchbeck went coocoo for Quetzalcoatl. He was a frequent poster on Pinchbeck's online discussion board, and went to New York to meet him in person. [Grigoriadis] Carpenter was close enough to Pinchbeck that Pinchbeck wrote an encouraging forward to Carpenter's book, A Psychonaut's Guide to the Invisible Landscape; [Pinchbeck, Foreward] the book describes thirteen trips Carpenter took on DXM powder, the anesthetic in cough syrup.

These trips took him into a powerful experience of apophenia, a headspace where every little coincidence and event was fraught with meaning and portent, and left him with the impression everything was "somehow a program....[t]here is no free will -- only the sense there is."

And so, following the program, Daniel Carpenter hanged himself.

At least one other of Pinchbeck's followers has also committed suicide. [Grigoriadis] Sadly, this is the danger when psychedelic visions are prized to the exclusion of "the rational, empirical worldview".

To be clear: I am by no means opposed to the responsible use of psychedelic or entheogenic substances. Far from it. They are powerful tools of transformation, and used properly might -- just might -- help us develop new ways of thinking that can help us get the planet out of the mess it's in.

But when someone starts taking their own feedback-saturated perceptions as seriously as Pinchbeck does, it's time to point out that drug-induced hallucinations are a piss-poor guide to consensus reality.

There are a lot of very fine people who like Pinchbeck's work. I've even attended several great discussions put on by the Baltimore "spore" of "Evolver", a social network that developed out Pinchbeck's blog. But Pinchbeck himself is in need of a good solid grounding, and a class in remedial critical thinking.

Ah that is tragic.

Yeah when I read Pinchbeck's Breaking Open the Head my take was that his trip on "natural" drugs were way better than synthetic and Pinchbeck seemed to favor natural drugs. Actually I kind of forgot he did the synthetic stuff.

But yeah I got banned from Realitysandwich as you probably noticed. But then I just posted again recently on their Graham Hancock new vid.

Anyway a couple days ago I sent the new Chunyi Lin podcast to http://thedailygrail.com -- but I got banned from Greg's website back around 2006 or so -- as I was emphasizing the nonwestern approach too much. haha.

I find it fascinating that the parapsychology scene is looking for "proof" but then when I present the "gold standard" science proving "external qi" heals people - the randomized, controlled Mayo Clinic study -- then the parapsychology people freaked out -- claiming I was "shilling" or something. haha.

Naw -- my qigong buddy is getting charged up again today -- in person - by qigong master Jim Nance -- for free!!

Yeah his third eye is getting opened up! It is awesome. The love energy will spread like this.

The New York publishing scene is afraid of the real deal! haha. Daniel and Mitch Horowitz, the publisher of Daniel at Penguin, -- gave some lip service to qigong master Chunyi Lin but nothing yet. Mitch said he would include something in his "Occult America" book....

Yeah I just searched it for qigong. Nothing. Anyway like my mom dismissed my meditation practice until I convinced her to go to a Free Friday qigong master healing with Jim Nance. She volunteered to me the information: "I really feel better" some four times and then again to my sister. She was totally transformed -- emotionally and spiritually as much as physically. Jim told her - that was just a "sample" healing. haha.

But yeah I got banned from Realitysandwich as you probably noticed. But then I just posted again recently on their Graham Hancock new vid.

Yes I figured as much. Ive gone through about 4 profiles already on RS, each one banned for various reasoning that must have made complete sense to them. Which is fine... we all have our reasons for doing what we do. But there is quite a bit of asuric nonsense floating around these days, and RS seems to attract so much. Lots of ripe material to work with, to be sure.

Sign in to follow this