Greyharte

Knock Knock

Hello Everyone.

As you can guess, I'm new here.

I'm "officially" Agnostic/Skeptic, but am still very interested in religion, philosophy, and things of that nature. I was raised Pentacostal (as in the swinging from the chandeliers, speaking in tongues type) and also went through the Gifted and Honors programs. I'd say that I have a finely calibrated BS detector (I mean that as humbly as possibly). I am self-diagnosed ADD (occasionally ADHD).

I recently got interested in Taoism after researching (one of my common activities) Buddhism. I came upon a particularly sticky part of the theology and decided to find something that I felt fit me more. I was OK with all the suffering stuff, but I couldn't really accept the "disgust with the material world" part. I think that suffering is suffering and that's just what it is. We only consider it "bad" because we call it "bad".

To me, Taoism is similar, but I'd say it is fundamentally more positive and optimistic. It says it's OK to enjoy sensual and worldly stuff, as long as it follows the Tao (whatever that truly is).

In other areas, I'm currently working on a Business: Entrepreneurship Bachelor's degree, possibly going on to get a Master's in Kinesthetics and Strength Coach certified. I'm interested in pretty much everything except scrapbooking and bicycles. I like computers, cooking, cybernetics, physics, engineering, religion, philosophy, thinking, learning, the military, exercise, music, etc. I can play 2 1/2 instruments (trombone, bass guitar, teaching myself drum set).

Though I am unsure of what I will do after college, I intend to join the military at some point (possibly the Marines). Though I don't plan to be a CEO of some huge corporation, I have played with the idea of opening my own business (or several), hence the degree. I am trying to go with the flow of things in that regard. The more I try to plan the future, the more disappointed I'll be when it doesn't line up. So yeah...

I try to be friendly, but I have no idea how often I'll be able to post due to my schedual and general ADHD-ness.

• Like 1

a possible future in the military?

that might be an interesting life choice, indeed.

you seem VERY interesting right now....a "time" in the military will cure you of that, i'm guessing.

"they" aren't known for folks "thinking" as individuals...

can't have a nail HIGHER (or LOWER for that matter) than the other nails.

in any military outfit, especially in the US MARINE CORPS.

((just talking from direct experience, that's all))

but, again...you are HERE to experience LIFE...right??

in that light....

blessings to you....for all the choices you shall make....and life experiences you shall undertake.

namaste

Yeah, I understand the military might be an odd choice for someone wanting to experience life fully. To me, it's partly a feeling that I must do it (like a duty or something similar), but I also have great respect for the military while realizing that not everyone/everything IN the military is the ideal. I did ROTC for a bit, but had to drop to focus on Band (scholarship) and my degree. I know I'm no expert by any means, but I do feel like any situation is basically what you make it.

I think that's what I like about Taoism moreso than Buddhism. I like both, but I think Buddhism focuses too much on the negative parts of life. I'm naturally pessimistic, but I realize that's not always useful, so the last thing I need is another system telling me that all of life is worthless. I don't mean any disrespect towards Buddhism, however. Different people require different systems. I just don't believe pure Buddhism is adequate for me.

Gonna be a bit of a challenge to learn to be accepting of others and see their purity while you're being trained to kill them without prejudice. Just don't allow the mob mentality in the heat of battle make you do stupid things.

I realize there's that too. That's with any job, though. I don't claim to be immune, but I usually don't follow crowds unless there's a good reason. Of course, the military kind of requires being a team player and I can do that. But I've now gotten to where I don't really fear the difficulties of any job anymore. If I'm constantly writing off career paths just because there are some sticky parts, I"ll never have a job. You just learn it and go with it while making appropriate decisions when you can. I've recently started martial arts (judo, karate, kendo, etc.) and, though it may not seem like it in the moment, afterwards, I don't hate those that I'm going against. You typically don't kill someone who attacks just because you hate them; it's because you're acting in self-defense. When it comes down to it, if no one fights for the country (or anyone else), then we'll all be taken over.

Welcome.

It is unfortunate that Buddhism is often taken to mean "the world is suffering."

The use of the word "suffering" is unfortunate and is a known mis-translation,

but it's use is too widespread and too hard to change now.

The word should have meant "impermanence" of the appearances,

if we hold on to them, we will end up in suffering...

We can search for the positive interpretations of Buddhism. I like the little book "What the Buddha Taught" by Walpola Rahula.