Marblehead

Suspension

Hi,

I got a call from Aaron and it seems that he has been suspended for ten days yet was not informed of such action nor is there any reason given on the notice of suspension.

• Like 2

Also, why is there no moderation log about this particular case?

Shouldn't it be clear when and why people are being suspended?

• Like 2

Exactly. This should be public (member) information. And at minimum the suspended member should have recieved a PM or a reason for the suspension added to the suspension notice.

• Like 2

I don't know why he was suspended, but lately he took a stand against some ill informed moronic anti Semitic garbage thats been posted around on the Bums and for that I admire him.

In my opinion there are 2 or 3 people here who are Neo nazis wannabees who cut and paste from rascist sites. To each there own and conspiracy nuts tend to build a sad paranoid life around themselves, but its sad to see their bile piling up here.

• Like 3

"Moronic", "Neo nazi", "wannabe", "conspiracy nut", "sad paranoid life"...that's all pretty insulting. I haven't personally seen any of that. Where's the love here at the bums???

"Moronic", "Neo nazi", "wannabe", "conspiracy nut", "sad paranoid life"...that's all pretty insulting. I haven't personally seen any of that. Where's the love here at the bums???

I got a couple more that are a bit worse, but I'm holding back. Some people bring out the worst in me. I generally ignore the anti-semitism on the site thinking posting to it will just bring more attention to it, but the nazi defenders who write here should be called out every now and then for the.. oh never mind.

• Like 3

Bringing attention to it will help get rid of it, and will let people like me realize that it exists here.

Saying insulting things to no one in particular won't do anything, and may get you into some unnecessary trouble. For instance, "Nazi defender" is another very insulting thing to call...someone?

Well, I feel that if false information is being presented anywhere someone should speak up against it. I am selective in the threads I follow here so there is likely a lot of misinformation present here that I will never see. However, I will generally speak up against it if It is presented in a thread I am following.

But bottom line, I still think that hatred and bigotry have no place on a board that is devoted to love, compassion and understanding.

• Like 1

I'd appreciate a PM if I were suspended. An explanation of why would be helpful.

I wasn't reading the Nazi threads much over the past few days as I've gotten fed up with them. Perhaps this means I should go back and reconsider whether what the posters are saying is in fact racially-oriented, a criticism of a foreign government, a criticism of domestic government, a criticism of hitherto accepted history or what. The posters themselves could help by clarifying what they're bringing to these threads.

• Like 2

Bringing attention to it will help get rid of it, and will let people like me realize that it exists here.

Saying insulting things to no one in particular won't do anything, and may get you into some unnecessary trouble. For instance, "Nazi defender" is another very insulting thing to call...someone?

haha not as tangent as may seem; all things are connected to all other things, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only rearranged.

In other words, we cant get rid of it. only rearrange it so that it doesnt change, but the contrast it casts does. "put it where its useful"

• Like 1

It is just that thelerner's reaction (even verbally outrageous) is understandable, to me at least. It doesn't make it the best reaction to have but if I had to choose between closing my eyes on this and becoming verbally outrageous, I would choose the latter. Before becoming buddhas we are plain humans.

• Like 1

My point and ire is at what I'll call Active Bigots <more descriptive then M*th&% FK&*%NG S*&KM>. We all have prejudices and in conversation they'll come out. And that's a good thing because it gives us a chance to learn from each other. The Active Bigots have a dark repeated agenda; it may be to convince the site that-'Homosexuality is dirty and immoral' or 'Jews are Evil' or more politically correct 'Christianity is the root of all Evil'. If it pops up once or twice its some ones view, we can take it or leave it. When its repeated often and in unlikely topics it's the mark of a nasty racist.

I don't like it and think it degrades the board. Probably the best answer is to post positive topics, ironic since too often I do the opposite with inflammatory language. My poor defense being I generally leave 'the crap' alone, and that what you read is a mild distillation of what I originally put down.

Edited by thelerner

Do we really think there is "motherfucking scum" at this forum, though?

Are we saying flat out, that white wolf is a bigot?

These are strong things to be saying. Maybe I missed the conversation where all of this anger is coming from...

Actually I edited it out<mostly> while you were posting. Bad taste, a bit raw but obviously in this case I view it as acceptable.

WE are not saying it, I am. Let me be clear- Damn right I think White Wolf is a bigot. Yes, YES I DO. Thank you for that opening, he may be a swell guy in many other ways, but to me he is a clearly prejudiced individual who repeatedly tries to convince other people of his negative views against a minority. I didn't write such in the past because personal insults are against the boards policy, will hurt feelings and lead nowhere, but as long as you bring it up. yup.

You have intellectual neutrality because you and your friends aren't going to be beaten up, denied a home or job because of sexual oriented discrimination. You may be fine w/ repeated negative comments against groups because you're under no danger a madman w/ a machine gun will burst into your community center killing woman and children. No rocks or fire bombs are going to thrown at your Church of worship. Words do have power and unfortunately his 'truth' are another's hateful rhetoric that have wreaked murder and pain.

You find 'Motherfucking Scum' objectionable, I understand and you have a point. But I lack your neutrality because I've seen where repeated negative stereotypes lead and there comes a time to step away from civility, call hate speech, hate speech inorder to acknowledge the damage done by Active Bigots.

I'm not calling for political correctness, I'm stating my right to forcefully answer to insults to my group and others. Which is ultimately bad because thats not what this board is meant for. Those who have a problem with gays, jews, christians, there are many sites that cater to you. You know, the ones you've pulled all your quotes from.

• Like 2

It would be easy to dig a little into the very recent threads to find posts that speak ill of Homosexuals, Christians and Jews.

About Christians: the most recent but actually TTb is full of some in the same vein with a recurring character:

http://thetaobums.com/topic/27010-world-peace-is-near-st-malachi-prophecy/

About homosexuals: http://thetaobums.com/topic/26710-trolling-and-off-topic-disruptions/

About Jews : http://thetaobums.com/topic/22292-is-the-west-slowly-descending-into-fascism/

As thelerner said, if it is just a statement from time to time, here and there, take it or leave it. When it tends to become the thread subject and /or become repetitive, it is nauseous. Hence the anger.

question : Do we really think that there is " M%%%%%%%%%G S%%%M" at this forum?

If there are some people coming here and intentionnally try to convince others that Jews, homosexuals or Christians are a problem for humanity, what would you say turtle shell?

I was going to PM Aaron and that has been hidden on his profile page. Talk about censorship! Furthermore, the bigoted persons on this site such as WWROA have not been banned. For some reason the mods are unable to recognize bigotry, racism and so forth.

Perhaps it is not censorship, ralis. He may have hidden it himself. It you look at mine, you should see no way to send me a PM. Nevertheless, you can use the Personal Messenger function from the Control Panel of your profile and compose a message from there to Aaron. Hope you see what I mean.

• Like 1

All I will say is that it is really sad that the one who was speaking out against bigotry and hate speech was the one who got suspended.

• Like 2

lol M%%%%R F%%%%%G Mummy's curse!

For me the special words are for special occasions. This is not one of those.

I am serious about this subject of suspensions (and banning).

"Personal insults" is a trick card that some use to get others to feel sorry for them. Apparently it worked in this case. Sad.

Do we really think there is "motherfucking scum" at this forum, though?

These are strong things to be saying. Maybe I missed the conversation where all of this anger is coming from...

No.. I am probably over reacting and owe White Wolf an apology. Sometimes topics take on a life of there own, mutate and spread like memes. Four or five topics on Homosexuality, increasing negative. More and more topics seemed- not racist, but increasingly moving into darker territory. My anger isn't at one person or single topic as much as at the Bums feeling less comfortable, like it was devolving into a nastier place. Again I acknowledge the irony of injecting such high level negativity myself.

Its probably a toss up on whether anything good comes out of this. It's not civility I'm looking for, puck no. I'm hoping for a lessening of nasty generalizations aimed at any group. Its hard, the line is fuzzy and I haven't been a role model for tolerance, but I'll end with this: Say your truth and walk away. Think twice before insulting a whole group, generalizations are always usually wrong and one persons intellectual musing is another's perceived personal insult. <yes that card>

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

I agree the 'bad vibe' has increased. But I question whether that's part and parcel of the forum getting bigger? That what may have been the occasional poster - because, as much as I'd love to separate message and messenger, I don't know if it's realistic to do so - has become more posters. I do have the impression that people were banned more before, but I don't know the numbers.

• Like 1