What is your opinion on "human nature"?

What is your opinion on human nature?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Opinion on human nature?

• Exists and is on a person to person basis
    • Exists and is positive
    • Exists and is negative
    • Doesn't exist
    • If you are spiritual your nature is better than someone else who is not spiritual

The idea of this really confuses and sometimes angers me. Especially when people use it for their own purposes

Thoughts?

Edited by Flolfolil

All sentient beings have differing levels of complexity, dysfunctions and qualities.

A human is just a set of skhandas where the form skhanda is a pile of meat with human DNA.

Edited by Seeker of the Self

i am not a human being

Edited by sinansencer

How many times have I said that we all are special and unique? One more time.

There are basic generalities that can be made such as almost all have two legs with feet attached; almost all have two armw with hands attached. This is of our physical human nature.

The brain (mind), however, has much more variety.

I voted "Exists but on a person to person basis" because there wasn't an "Other" option.

Except for our physical atrtributes it would be a very long shot to try to generalize 'human nature'.

There are the basics that folks have in common

there are specific characters as well

A persons nature , alone-uninfluenced by others

is good in all things ( by definition)

A person subjected to others opinions, or judged ,

can be found to be 'not good ' by them

and he may come to share in that sentiment

We are judged and judge others every day

understanding that our judgements and theirs

are based on our each-personal perspectives

undermines self righteousness about our beliefs but

doesn't demand that we not continue to judge others.

A person is still free to seek justifications, vindications

and ego perpetuating 'strokes',, but in certain ways it

can become evident as 'self defeating'- ultimately.

and in others it may just be the character-worldview of what someone wishes to remain.

Edited by Stosh

Why bother thinking about it and just live your life in pursuit of good health and good friends? I kept asking the same things about life and finally though to myself, why does it matter to know all those answers. When getting the answers becomes unimportant to you it allows you to study existential questions or study science just as a fun pastime without getting caught up in knowing everything. To me, I realized asking existential questions in a deep club of people with utmost seriousness to the point of getting headaches from all the questions stems from our own selfish ego.

Edited by newbjpt13
  • Like 1

I can see why the use of the term 'human nature' might annoy. It's been used (and abused IMO) in order to justify use and abuse of humans.

I think there are basic qualities (or faults, depending on who you talk to:-)) that humans share. A lot of these are unconscious, yet we often speak and act as if they were fully conscious and intentional. And on the basis of that we condemn or (for some) leverage it.

Then we could get into 'are there ways to make the unconscious conscious?' I see cultivation as an attempt at that, a work towards that. But the problem (I have) is I don't know what remains unconscious, just because it is.

The "nature" that people associate with being human is simply the karmic conditions leading them to be reborn as a human in the first place. Without it, the human body would have no nature to it. Generally, there is a mass conscious behavior that all humans seem to accept: To be desirous, have the potentials of evil and good, ego, confusion, and the like.

Thus claim that emotions and sexual behavior, confusion and mistakes are just human nature. When in fact it isn't. It is made up of karmic conditions which result in the particular human to be a specific way, which can change.

Due to one's karmic nature, they will have the manner of being (which we call one's nature) as being humorous, aggressive, confused, aloof, etc. It is so fixed in one's mind that they are the way they have fond themselves to be, that this mannerism becomes so fixed, and is seen as just the nature of the person, The original way of the person.

But it is not.

Humans have both Yin and Yang, and can go either the ghost/demon way, or the Wholesome Godly/immortal, and Become Buddhas. One's true nature is likened to a pearl sewn into one's clothes. Its sewn so well that you can't even realize its there, and when you do, its either too late, and or covered up by loads of dirt.

find the true nature, and you will find that human nature is not what was once thought to be.

• Like 1

The "nature" that people associate with being human is simply the karmic conditions leading them to be reborn as a human in the first place. Without it, the human body would have no nature to it. Generally, there is a mass conscious behavior that all humans seem to accept: To be desirous, have the potentials of evil and good, ego, confusion, and the like.

Thus claim that emotions and sexual behavior, confusion and mistakes are just human nature. When in fact it isn't. It is made up of karmic conditions which result in the particular human to be a specific way, which can change.

Due to one's karmic nature, they will have the manner of being (which we call one's nature) as being humorous, aggressive, confused, aloof, etc. It is so fixed in one's mind that they are the way they have fond themselves to be, that this mannerism becomes so fixed, and is seen as just the nature of the person, The original way of the person.

But it is not.

Humans have both Yin and Yang, and can go either the ghost/demon way, or the Wholesome Godly/immortal, and Become Buddhas. One's true nature is likened to a pearl sewn into one's clothes. Its sewn so well that you can't even realize its there, and when you do, its either too late, and or covered up by loads of dirt.

find the true nature, and you will find that human nature is not what was once thought to be.

Are you saying that a person living alongside others can be part-demon? Part-god? How does this 'mass human consciousness' get transmitted? I guess I should ask to take your demon/god recognition course:-)

Are you saying that a person living alongside others can be part-demon? Part-god? How does this 'mass human consciousness' get transmitted? I guess I should ask to take your demon/god recognition course:-)

They have the components to go either way. Yin or Yang. hence why many beings prefer a human body for cultivation. The set up is quite convenient. hahaha

They have the components to go either way. Yin or Yang. hence why many beings prefer a human body for cultivation. The set up is quite convenient. hahaha

That's horrible!

That's horrible!

haha Not really that bad. all living beings have these components. It all depends on what nourishes the mind, thus energy. It takes a long time for one to be totally yin, or at least in that expression.

It is that what you do, you become. Do as a wholesome immortal, become one, do as a Bodhisattva, or Buddha, you are one, thus will realize that full pure state, eventually. Same with the "bad". Do as a malevolent ghost, a malevolent spirit, demon, etc, eventually one will become just as they are.

Once past the conscious obstruction, false thinking ceases, and thus the sky, the clouds and reflection are no more (no more falsity). Then, we can really know the true nature of living things, even humans.

But before that, our habits, views, associations to emotions and thoughts are conditioned. Not just from our parents, friends music, society, tv, etc, but from our past lives. Whatever influences us from our past lives will do so in this one. If we keep up those ways, we will empower it to continue for countless lifetimes. if we don't know the difference, we continue, if we do know the difference, its just a matter of changing our thinking and feeling habits, and then adjusting our views along the way.

There are "good" and "bad " demons, ghosts, spirits, sprites, immortals, gods, etc.

But you will never see a Bodhisattva or Buddha, or wholesome immortal, Dharma Protecter (in any "tradition" of cultivation) killing or harming another just for the hell of it, or even at all.

They would most likely scare the crap out of someone to make tthem stop the nastiness or ignorance, but never kill.

We know it as Pure Yang, Full Yang Qi, which makes one immortal, and also a Buddha, when it is more refined. There is pure Yin, full yin, hence ghosts, and the like.

• Like 1