Birch

The New Age - what helps, what works, what harms, what doesn't work

That article was great. :)

I used to be on a somewhat new-agey site. Here's two articles I wrote criticising their love-and-light bollocks:

http://m.astralboobaby.net/site/webs_62765766/home?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astralboobaby.net%2Fapps%2Fforums%2Ftopics%2Fshow%2F7774277&dm_package=1#0332

http://m.astralboobaby.net/site/webs_62765766/home?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astralboobaby.net%2Fapps%2Fforums%2Ftopics%2Fshow%2F8039677-positivity-unhealthy-if-forced-in-excess&dm_package=1#1103

Also, new agers are very gullible and prone to pseudoscience.

It's a real shame that people looking for something, well, REAL, can't separate the wheat from the chaff, and fall into fucking around with crystals and imaginary aliens - rather than true disciplined and meaningful shamatha, etc, stuff that actually leads out of samsara.

Edited by Seeker of the Self
  • Like 2

It's all reaching after faith.

Wanting to experience the numinous, same as we are doing on here, no different.

Ezekiel says...

'A river without banks becomes a swamp' so it's no wonder the new age is so disparate because they don't flow between dogmatic banks they just meander where they will.

Good luck to 'em.

Not my cuppa tea what bit I've seen of it, but each to their own.

Sooner a woolly new ager than some of the "this is the ONLY truth, the way and the light' shysters that I see around the place pitching their dubious woo.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I dated a girl that was very drawn toward Wicca. It was a bit of a sore point for me, I think that its history is bogus and her practice was shallower than a kiddie pool. Still, she was beautiful.

I dated a girl that was very drawn toward Wicca. It was a bit of a sore point for me, I think that its history is bogus and her practice was shallower than a kiddie pool. Still, she was beautiful.

Its history is bogus. A derivative of another modern invention, Golden Dawn magick.

On the subject of fraudulent New Age, there is the famous book, Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts by Fisher.

He came to the conclusion that spirits in New Age channeling are fraudulent and devious hungry ghosts.

He also committed suicide because of these tormenting spirits.

• Like 1

One thing that struck me about the article was that the author, Greer, the Grand Archdruid of the Ancient Order of Druids in America, would generally be seen by most people as part of the New Age movement. By defining the current state of New Age so narrowly (=you create your own reality), he deftly places himself outside the movement. Then, as a right-seeing authority, he proceeds to skewer it.

Other than that sleight of hand, his remarks are mixed. Most of what I enjoy most about Greer's writings are his historical insights as he's done lots of research into the New Age--however you wish to define it.

Sure it seems to be the jack of all trades-master of none, but it's mostly just spiritual exploration, imo. Sort of like the new frontiers of the explorers. The doors are now open and people like to go in and poke around.

Sounds like I don't really know much of what "New Age" is though.. like it's more of a set thing now, rather than just non-committal exploration of "foreign" traditions.

I scorn new age, but I'll still listen and read it. I was at Half Price Books and picked up 'To Feel Go(o)d, The science & Spirit of Bliss by Candace Pert. I'm sure it'll be new agey, the woman was in What the Bleep We Know (didn't like it) for goodness sake. But if I invest two hours of my time, listening while walking, there's a chance I'll pick up a new fresh idea I can use. That makes it worthwhile.

• Like 1

Sooner a woolly new ager than some of the "this is the ONLY truth, the way and the light' shysters that I see around the place pitching their dubious woo.

Eh, than we have the majority like you, who prefers that everyone conforms to the dubious "all paths lead to the ONE/equally lead to GOD;" that 'Hindu's' have been pushing and the New Age folks have taken up.

Edited by Simple_Jack

I find that Generation Xers, those born generally between 1960 and 1980, often have a dislike of progressive thinking, and especially New Age ideas.

Why though?

I think you will find a lot of Baby Boomers in general love new age, change, and progressive ideas.

Generation Xers are known for their hate of all things Baby Boomer, and are not really interested in philosophy, affecting social change, or changing the world, but more about how things can benefit them right here right now. Even the title of this thread shows the Gen X perspective of "what's in it for me, will it 'work', and what will it do for me". Gen Xers feel very insecure smashed between 2 juggernauts, the Boomers and Millennials, and often just hate anything associated with those 2 groups.

Millennials, born from 1980 to 2000 or so, seem more open minded in my experience, and more friendly toward a lot of Boomer ideas, but often tend to be a little more more interested in the nuts and bolts of how things work rather than the philosophy behind them. They are kind of like half baby boomer, half materialistic.

Edited by Immortal4life

On the subject of fraudulent New Age, there is the famous book, Siren Call of Hungry Ghosts by Fisher.

He came to the conclusion that spirits in New Age channeling are fraudulent and devious hungry ghosts.

He also committed suicide because of these tormenting spirits.

I read this book. Very worth reading. Wanderin alone one can find a lot of 'disembodied liars' as YaM u once phrased it.

The answer to the problem outlined in this book is lineage.

I can't stand newage anything, people or practices. It's all wishy washy peaced out spiritual babble and gobbledygook.

It doesn't actually do anything, it doesn't get results, it serves no purpose.

I hate talking with someone and trying to explain my beliefs. It's a very tricky situation to explain it in such a way that I do not I come off sounding like a newage whackjob.

It's hard to get people to realize you are serious and interested in real practices that get real results, not shoving crystals up your butt on a full moon to harvest the Goddess moon essence.

These newagers destroy the credibility of the entire spiritual community, no one can take it seriously because of things and people like this:

Edited by More_Pie_Guy

Notice I've asked for both what works and helps as well as what harms and what doesn't work.

The criticism of Greer was a good one. What ideas or practices fall within the 'New Age'? What don't? I have this idea that what might happen with New Age is a misapplication of insights. Much like Seeker of Self suggested above in his writeup (well done BTW). I don't think it has much to do with generations, those are themselves constructs.

Cuz the "Magus of Java", "Kunlun spontaneous movement faith healing", "Lama Thunderbolt", and "Kundaini Awakening" just scream credibility.

I think someone is hard pressed to say their viewpoint, their focus on something "working, or not working", and whether they love or hate new age thinking, which is admittedly a large umbrella of diverse ideas, isn't related to their generation or upbringing.

OMG this is the coolest thing on Buddhism I've ever seen! this could actually get me interested in it! Quit hatin' Lulz

Edited by Immortal4life

Cuz the "Magus of Java", "Kunlun spontaneous movement faith healing", "Lama Thunderbolt", and "Kundaini Awakening" just scream credibility.

I agree with you on Kunlun/Max/Lama Dorje/Lama Thuderbolt and Kundalini Yoga/Awakening.

However JC stepped up to the bat.

OQD2q0s.png

• Like 1

I agree with you on Kunlun/Max/Lama Dorje/Lama Thuderbolt and Kundalini Yoga/Awakening.

However JC stepped up to the bat.

Fair enough. I myself have not seen anything that convinced me, but it is respectable that you make your own decisions, look into things yourself, and have discrimination and are discerning.

Edited by Immortal4life

I'm never really sure what New Age is, quite a few of the things people call New Age practices are actually very old and traditional. For what works I read recently about some Dairy farms which were not performing very well so they brought in what would be called a New Age healer who did a number of adjustments including things like strengthening Ley Lines in the farm, psychic clearing, earth acupuncture etc and apparently by the end of the Summer their milk contained its highest ever protein content and the milk fat was so rich that could include butter in their line of products for a first time.

Even if a lot of this stuff is just using the power of basic intent it can be quite powerful I think, or maybe it can allow you to dream a better dream even if it doesn't lead you to escaping from the dream altogether like some other paths try to achieve.

Much of the trouble I think occurs where good ideas are taken out of context, misunderstood, simplified and packaged into slogans which are then accepted blindly.

It's sad how sometimes the mistakes are so subtle, but that subtle error completely twists the original idea and takes the essence out of it. So many people within reach of the real deal but just not recognising it...

It's much easier to just say 'we are all one' than to give a detailed explanation of how all things are based in the Self, yet are individual separate phenomena. Let alone linking it to a deep understanding of sunyata, anatman, the skhandas and so on to provide a fuller understanding of how various key insights fit together!

It goes to show the truth of that story about the Zen master pouring tea for the Westerner until it overflowed. His point: you don't get true wisdom shoving in words.

Although study and thought are great, on their own they can lead to intellectualisation which may be off where it counts. We need to cultivate our minds to just... get it. Real practices are critical. Most new agers are at least meditating a little, and that's great. It gives me hope that some will wake up. :)

Edited by Seeker of the Self
  • Like 2

I'm never really sure what New Age is

"Spirit guides", which are actually negative entities.

A bunch of stuff about ascended masters.

Throw in a little bit of quantum physics also.

"Spirit guides", which are actually negative entities.

A bunch of stuff about ascended masters.

Throw in a little bit of quantum physics also.

Haven't the Buddhist masters you study been contacting "spirit guides" for thousands of years too? Apparently Dudjom Lingpa received his entire teaching in visions and dreams from entities and ascended masters and he is considered one of the most important Dzogchen masters and he didn't even ever have a physical human teacher.

• Like 3