Sign in to follow this  
phore

Online training for traditional Chinese medicine

Hello.

I have been looking into schools of traditional Chinese medicine. I would like a program that is accepted by the acaom, and offers completely online training.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by phore

Hi Phore,

I am afraid there's none. Acaom requires on site clinical training and a minimum of training hours to avoid bogus programs.

The only distance learning program that seems serious is the one offered by the Alberta College of Acupuncture in Canada, but even there, I think some on site training is required at some point.

edited for syntax

Edited by sati

Did you search the ACAOM site? Like Sati said, I'm pretty sure every program accredited by ACAOM is going to require onsite clinical training....

I noticed that Everglades university offers a bachelors degree in alternative health sciences. This is completely online and includes some acupuncture classes. I don't think it's accepted by acaom though.

Regarding the Alberta College.

Would I be able to take their online classes then transfer to a different school to complete the clinical training. I know this is possible with regular universities.

Edited by phore

What are your goals? If they are to practice TCM professionally then, like any form of professional training, you are going to have to go to school at an accredited program THEN pass certification exams by NCCAOM. I don't think it would be allowed to sit for these without a physical degree and I know of no schools that can offer an online degree that would be accepted by the NCCAOM. In addition, acupuncture would require physical training - no way around that. Chinese herbs would require years of study, no way around that. Most programs in USA are now Master degree programs.

If you only want to learn ABOUT TCM there are many resources. I have not researched the online resources but I would think these exist. Be careful and research any particular thing you find.

A 3rd thing that could possibly interest someone, is utilizing elements of both TCM and Classical Chinese Medicine inside another field's scope of practice. This is entirely possible and can make a huge difference in client/patient outcome. For instance, a Chiropractor, a Physical Therapist, a Massage Therapist, a counselor, and other professions could utilize elements of these systems inside their systems. I have many students from various professions who do this. Examples include: Massage Therapists utilizing Medical Qigong, Tui Na, and other forms of therapeutics from China. Medical doctors who utilize medical qigong. Chiropractors who utilize medical qigong and Tui Na. The key is to always make sure, in the particular state you are living in, that any therapeutic form is within your legal scope of practice.

Bottom line: I am pretty sure you couldn't legally operate as a TCM practitioner with an online certificate. It would be interesting to find out that I am wrong. Laws do vary state to state.

Well I suppose that at this point it's idle curiosity. I would like to go to a school but it would have to be in the future as I do not have enough money to pay tuition. I was researching schools and I have noticed that I am in the middle of a large area with no tcm schools. Thus I asked about online training. I have taken some basic courses in a university where almost everything was offered as either a physical or online course. I took some of both and found the online courses to be just as effective as the physical courses. Later I went to massage therapy school and got my liscense. I have noticed that massage CEU courses can be taken online as well.

This seems to be a trend in education.

Though I tend to agree that moving qigong, bodywork, and acupuncture could need some hands on training.

Sign in to follow this