I was told I couldnt donate blood because I had had jaundice.

I am blood group 'O" - a tidbit of info for those that like to gather such details. and file them.

Why??? In US they test every single unit and notify donors if they do have some infectious disease that's unknown to them, which is a service in and of itself. But I'd like to understand this, we travel to Canada, if they don't test every single unit but decide it's safe based on profiling or something else, if we have some horrible trauma and need blood transfusion there I have idea better make a tourniquet and speed back south.

Why??? In US they test every single unit and notify donors if they do have some infectious disease that's unknown to them, which is a service in and of itself. But I'd like to understand this, we travel to Canada, if they don't test every single unit but decide it's safe based on profiling or something else, if we have some horrible trauma and need blood transfusion there I have idea better make a tourniquet and speed back south.

You do realize that many diseases may be present, yet initially take several months (before antibodies develop) to accurately test positive for? Not to mention, every different disease must be tested specifically for - thereby a "full" screen would be extremely expensive?

Sure, in an ideal world with unlimited budget, you would base blood donation purely on their individual test results. However, I think with limited time & funding, one must incorporate statistical analysis to reduce overall risk.

“current statistical reality is that over half of the new HIV/AIDS cases reported in Canada each year are a result of transmission through sexual acts between male partners.”

The CBS policy is not discrimination, echoes a Globe and Mail editorial, because “gay men are not ineligible because of their sexual orientation, but due to a higher prevalence of HIV” in the gay population. The Globe notes that “Men who have sex with men are 365 times more likely to be HIV-positive than the rest of the Canadian population.”

Hence even in the US, you can't donate blood if you've gotten a tattoo within the last few months either...

Which does not mean that tattoos are "morally wrong" - just that they may statistically introduce a higher health risk.

Edited by vortex
  • Like 3

Probably. Times have changed, wonder how much due to statistics vs. paranoia. Back in 90s Red Cross would set up donation days in gay bars and market it as a way to help people out and get checked for free. A social worker friend of mine did predonation counseling, they took some pretty high risk people.

i lie to donate plasma. i don't like having to lie but i like getting paid. i wonder if anyone has been transfused with my dirty gay plasma cells and suddenly turned homosexual :P

• Like 1

You do realize that many diseases may be present, yet initially take several months (before antibodies develop) to accurately test positive for? Not to mention, every different disease must be tested specifically for - thereby a "full" screen would be extremely expensive?

Sure, in an ideal world with unlimited budget, you would base blood donation purely on their individual test results. However, I think with limited time & funding, one must incorporate statistical analysis to reduce overall risk.

Hence even in the US, you can't donate blood if you've gotten a tattoo within the last few months either...

Which does not mean that tattoos are "morally wrong" - just that they may statistically introduce a higher health risk.

Well, my understanding is that one of the main issues here is the reliability of testing. It isn't 100 percent. Even if it is 99.9% accurate, that leaves room for diseases to get through the screening process on rare occasions, and in fact is inevitable over a long period of time. This is why some In Canada have said "safety over sensitivity". It's also a sensitive subject because a few decades ago there was a huge debacle, with thousands of people being infected with HIV and Hepatitis.

i lie to donate plasma. i don't like having to lie but i like getting paid. i wonder if anyone has been transfused with my dirty gay plasma cells and suddenly turned homosexual :P

Hahaha, I never even thought about this. I mean how could they prove it or ever know? Maybe I should look into donating blood, how much money do you get?

Hahaha, I never even thought about this. I mean how could they prove it or ever know? Maybe I should look into donating blood, how much money do you get?

its not donating blood, its donating plasma. They take your blood out, separate the plasma and put the red blood cells back in.

How much you get depends on your weight. You kinda get screwed if you don't weigh at least 150. It also depends on your area, but heavier people always get more. You usually get more your first 2 times donating also.

You pretty much have to say that you have no health problems at all, pass a physical, then pass a vitals test every time you go to donate. They'll tell you all this stuff when you go the first time. Bring a snack with lots of protein and iron. Eat for iron! i use raw shelled sunflower seeds and stay super hydrated and i feel fine afterwards.

wuuuut? so lame. Maybe see about donating sperm? i could never do that, have a child and never meet them. But maybe you are different :b

edit: post numbah four twentayyyyy!!!

Edited by Flolfolil

Lol, I don't think I could do that. For one thing, yeah I'd always wonder about all my little kids out there. Second, I'd be so embarrassed having a female nurse, or a male one for that matter, handing me a cup or whatever they give you lol. Maybe if the nurse would ummm....help with it....but if she helps me with it, she probably does for everyone lol.

I think the idea would be to go in there, flirt with the nurse, and pull her into the room with you, which would take a high level of skill, to get her all turned on, before she realizes how much trouble she would get in lol.

Edited by Immortal4life

Does anyone else think this is a troll post? In other words it was just started to incite more bitter discussions about a subject that is finally winding down?

Aaron

It's not just for any one purpose.

This seems a relevant issue at this time, and seems to be getting interest. Are you saying creating interest in a hot topic is "disrupting"? It's not disrupting because this is the hot issue of this week apparently. It's in fact, not disruption, but very relevant discussion to the current mood here.

I fear your ideal forum is very small, with little disagreement and little emotional content.......but little interest period as well.

Edited by Immortal4life

It's not just a troll post IMO. It's a flight of trolls haha. Like a flock of sheep or a shoal of sardines.

I haven't been pushing the 'report' button to get any action taken and they don't seem to be going away if I engage them. And even if I don't, I've noticed they glom onto anything they can. These dudes need attention to function.

• Like 2

Lol, I don't think I could do that. For one thing, yeah I'd always wonder about all my little kids out there. Second, I'd be so embarrassed having a female nurse, or a male one for that matter, handing me a cup or whatever they give you lol. Maybe if the nurse would ummm....help with it....but if she helps me with it, she probably does for everyone lol.

I think the idea would be to go in there, flirt with the nurse, and pull her into the room with you, which would take a high level of skill, to get her all turned on, before she realizes how much trouble she would get in lol.

It's even more embarrassing when you have to ask for 2 or 3 more cups... and a mop.

Not that I would know anything about that.

Does anyone else think this is a troll post?

i think you calling this thread out as a troll is trolling. Wait...so is me calling you out also trolling?

you just trolled me hard bro. epic troll

trollololol

• Like 1

It's even more embarrassing when you have to ask for 2 or 3 more cups... and a mop.

Not that I would know anything about that.

best 9th post on any forum ever

• Like 1