Phi92

Interpretations of Wu Wei?

Hello everyone! :)

How do you personally interpret Wu Wei - non-action?

Do you see it as being passive, phlegmatic, "going with the flow"?

Do you see it as being so skilled in something, that it becomes natural for you to do it, without effort?

I believe Wu Wei can be accomplished by great practice and learning in a field.

When you have a goal or a dream and you are set on it, you must act based on what's most natural to you and what seems to be the easiest, non-agressive and natural way.

I don't think Wu Wei denotes passivity or having no plans or goals, but just that you accomplish those things in the most efficient and elegant way.

It's simmilar to Occams razor - we examine and accect the simplest, most elegant theory.

Wu Wei is accepting the most elegant and simple, most natural action to accomplish something.

When one has attained Wu Wei, one does the right thing without much thinking. It is natural to him. It is a higher state of consciousness. It can be called enlightment.

Am I on the right track? What do you think?

Thanks in advance! :)

---

P.S. If there was a simmilar topic or if this is the wrong subforum, I apologize!

Edited by Phi92
  • Like 1

Yes, you are only the right track. You have the right concept about Wu Wei but there is only one notion that need to be considered based on the philosophy of LaoTze. Wu Wei is to take no abusive action to interfere with the course of Nature. In the point of view of the Tao Te Ching. It doesn't matter how good are the deeds that one was doing; if there was any abusive action interfered with the flow of things was considered not being Wu Wei. The emphasis is based on the word "abusive" where the abusive action may be in any magnitude.

• Like 2

So careful planning is not okay based on Wu Wei?

I always thought that planning was okay, as long as it's not against your will.

So careful planning is not okay based on Wu Wei?

I always thought that planning was okay, as long as it's not against your will.

Careful planning is okay for Wu Wei as long it does not harm to the nature of things. Again, the emphasis is on "non interference".

Careful planning is okay for Wu Wei as long it does not harm to the nature of things. Again, the emphasis is on "non interference".

But what is the "nature of things" ?

Nature of things:
1. The natural flow of water in a river.
2. The birds flying in the air.
3. The harmony between you and your love one.

• Like 1

But what constitutes the "nature of things" in an action?

For instance, strategic planning about how to achieve a goal, be it for learning or entrepreneurship or anything else?

feng shui is a discipline that covers the art of operating in the way that viator describes for the reasons that you outline in your questions,phy92.

Are you looking for a strategy to become inpHy92?

But what constitutes the "nature of things" in an action?

For instance, strategic planning about how to achieve a goal, be it for learning or entrepreneurship or anything else?

The nature of things do not constitute an action. However, any action interfered with the natural flow of things like

1. The course of water in a river was disrupted by building a dam on it.

2. The bird in the air was shot down by a gun.

3. If a third party came into the scene between you and your love one.

All these three conditions were interfered by some kind of abusive action which considered to be violated the concept of Wu Wei.

• Like 1

The answer to that will be somewhat situational. If you were talking about building a house, rather than bulldozing the existing rocks and hills on the land and cutting down all of the trees, only to plant different trees later a wu wei approach might be to look at how to build your home to fit the land the way it was. Construction would follow the flow of the space. In an office environment it would be different though. If you were a manager and wanted to build a team you would look for the tasks that most closely matched the talents and interests of your employees instead of retraining everyone to do things they did not care about. In both of these examples there would certainly also be benefits to being so skilled that the decision occurred without effort, but I would see that as the highest degree of expression of this principle.

Thanks, this really clears things up! :D

I originally thought that Wu Wei meant no planning or strategy at all, no long term plans or dreams and never forcing things. But now I realize that it just means acting naturally and harmoniously to achieve such plans and accepting strain and hard work if you think it's a good thing and it's worth it.

Is that what you meant?

---

@ Cat - I don't really understand what you are asking

feng shui is a discipline that covers the art of operating in the way that viator describes for the reasons that you outline in your questions,phy92.

Are you looking for a strategy to become inpHy92?

Maybe he wants to be inPhyn8?

When it comes to making ethical decisions should we be looking more at the three jewels/treasures rather than to wu wei to help us, in a Taoist framework/approach?

Edited by Reed

When it comes to making ethical decisions should we be looking more at the three jewels/treasures rather than to wu wei to help us, in a Taoist framework/approach?

There is also a moral component in wu wei, of emptying the self and causing no harm, making it a part of Taoist virtue or De as well.

• Like 2

There is also a moral component in wu wei, of emptying the self and causing no harm, making it a part of Taoist virtue or De as well.

I see, thanks :)

• Like 1

How do you personally interpret Wu Wei - non-action?

Before this thread goes too much further it might be wise to reconsider the question. Are you really concerned with the phrase "wú wéi", which might be translated as "inaction", or the phrase "wéi wú wéi", which might be translated as "acting without action". They mean different things. You started by asking about the first, but your discussion made it seem as if you're really interested in the second. I've seen these two phrases confused several times before.

Try to find the time to read my take on what wuwei is.

Even though I wrote that over 12 years ago, and as part of martial arts

background to do with fa jing.

http://www.shanlung.com/oldwuwei.html

Perhaps you might not even disagree, even if my explanation of both wuwei and fajing was woefully inadequate.

• Like 2

Try to find the time to read my take on what wuwei is.

Even though I wrote that over 12 years ago, and as part of martial arts

background to do with fa jing.

http://www.shanlung.com/oldwuwei.html

Perhaps you might not even disagree, even if my explanation of both wuwei and fajing was woefully inadequate.

I will read it, thank you! :)

Btw. I apsolutely adore parrots! :D

Edited by Phi92

I will read it, thank you! :)

Btw. I apsolutely adore parrots! :D

How nice!

I love parrots too. And cat as well.

Here is a photo of both of them

4928428687_d754cb64b0_z.jpg

Idiot on the Path

• Like 4

Phi92: The short answer is this. "Wú wéi" literally translates as something like "without action". The exact meaning of the phrase depends on the context. Often it's used to refer to acting in a minimalist fashion to achieve your goals. It might also refer to arranging your affairs such that they proceed successfully with no further action on your part. In some cases it might refer to achieving a goal with no overt action at all. For example, if you're trying to get a student to understand something, and he's very close, then instead of explaining the final point to him you might simply stare at him pointedly, as if to say "the answer is right in front of you", with the intent that he'll work it out for himself in the next few seconds. In this context the stare is taken as an example of "not acting", and the pointed silence is supposed to motivate the student to take the final step that achieves the goal. Your best bet in understanding any particular instance of this phrase is to translate the surrounding context, and then interpret the phrase in that context in the fashion that I've described above. Of course, as always, most Daoists will disagree vehemently with what I've just written, and probably get very upset about it. :)

• Like 2

wu wei is very simple thing yet it is very difficult to explain

just like "sweet" and "hot" it needs to be experienced to be understood.

so understanding comes from the experience and not from intellectual talking about it.

how do we get the experience?

my meditation is based on wu wei and zi ran and from meditation i gain the understanding

if i tell you i feel wu wei is not forcing the action and being in harmony with the natural rythmns

there is still much that does get conveyed

• Like 3