Aaron

Holding off on the HHC Study...

I've been waiting for about a month for a response from Sean regarding the HHC Study. I don't want to continue to post in the Taoist Discussion area if I can help it, since the forum rules for a discussion thread aren't enforced and it would be very easy for the conversations to go off track. When I get a response from Sean I'll get back to you guys and let you know what's going on, til then, lets reflect on any changes we might like regarding the study.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Waiting for a response from Sean could take a few minutes or many months, that's just how he is from my experience.

and BTW the forum DOESN'T have rules ... outside of no insults. While think I understand what you want with "the forum rules for a discussion thread aren't enforced" there is actually nothing to "enforce"

Did some biblomancy and got 64 in Ni's TTC (only the last verse as the start's on another page ... and I was actualy hoping to hit a HHC quote :lol:)

Lightly made promises inspire little confidence.

Making light of things at the beginning,

one will meet with failure at the end.

Being prepared for hardship,

one will not be overcome by it.

In handling their affairs, people often ruin them

just as they are on the verge of success.

With heedfulness at the beginning,

and all the way through to the end,

nothing is ruined.

Whatever you decide to do ... I appreciate your effort.

The problem may be... what if Sean doesn't response?

I think this points out some weakness in the TTB: if you need an admin to do something, there should be more than one person available. This is common sense for a website.

Second: don't stop the study. If you really need to, then we report posts to the moderators and say "if this was in the sub forum, I can take care of this but for now you need to"... maybe after enough reports, they can impress on Sean the need to do what is common sense for organizing threads.

Did I say... Don't stop the study?

Aaron: Enough of us support this study and don't feel like your carrying any weight of it. I vote we move on together!

I'll continue to post the study in the Taoist Discussions section. Hopefully I'll get a reply from Sean in the near future, if not so be it. I'm sure we can manage if someone decides to post off-topic.

Aaron

Agree with Mal.

You could get a reply in a matter of a week...or what's usually more typical...it can take months (not kidding on this folks) to get a reply from the board owner.

In any case...HHC study doesn't necessarily need a 'leader'. Aaron's been posting the chapters but he doesn't need to be the only one.

And as Mal said...there really aren't any kind of forum rules other than the usual ToS and that it in some way relates to Taoism (or at least Chinese spiritual traditions history...which to my understanding is not unified). Indeed...if TM were to have her understanding of Taoism enforced in this forum HHC would be in General...not here.

Agree with Mal.

You could get a reply in a matter of a week...or what's usually more typical...it can take months (not kidding on this folks) to get a reply from the board owner.

In any case...HHC study doesn't necessarily need a 'leader'. Aaron's been posting the chapters but he doesn't need to be the only one.

And as Mal said...there really aren't any kind of forum rules other than the usual ToS and that it in some way relates to Taoism (or at least Chinese spiritual traditions history...which to my understanding is not unified). Indeed...if TM were to have her understanding of Taoism enforced in this forum HHC would be in General...not here.

Actually when we started the Tao Te Ching subforum, there was a specific set of subforum rules instituted in order to ensure the topics remained on topic (agreed upon by Sean). They're actually listed in the subforum FAQ. I would suggest as a moderator that you take a look, because that might be why there is so much confusion regarding the TTC Subforum and all the obvious violations of the subforum rules. I'm not intending to be offensive, Apech usually maintained order in the subforum after I stopped moderating it, and since he's stepped down, perhaps the issue is no one was aware there are specific rules set aside just for that forum. If other moderators aren't aware of that, could please let them know? Thank you.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Sean did finally get back to me. I responded and I'm waiting for his response. I'll let you guys know one way or the other, or you can let me know if you see the forum up before I get back on.

Aaron

I don't want to continue to post in the Taoist Discussion area if I can help it, since the forum rules for a discussion thread aren't enforced

Not wanting to be offensive either but that quote above is quite different to below

when we started the Tao Te Ching subforum, there was a specific set of subforum rules instituted in order to ensure the topics remained on topic (agreed upon by Sean). They're actually listed in the subforum FAQ. I would suggest as a moderator that you take a look, because that might be why there is so much confusion regarding the TTC Subforum and all the obvious violations of the subforum rules. I'm not intending to be offensive

and even then I'd still question "all the obvious violations" :huh:

Not wanting to be offensive either but that quote above is quite different to below

And Genesis chapter 1 and chapter 2 appear to tell two creation stories... ;)

• Like 1

Hi Mal,

It's an honest question, that wasn't meant to be offensive. The FAQ states that all comments need to pertain to the Tao Te Ching. It was created to ensure that people could go to that thread and talk about the Tao Te Ching without having it compared to other religions, ideologies, philosophies, but rather discuss the merits and faults based upon the text itself. The rules were specific and intended to ensure that people could do this without the distractions that occurred in the general discussions section. Serene mentioned that there really aren't any forum rules other than the ToS, but that isn't true. If you take the time to read the FAQ you'll see that the rules are quite different for that section. I understood that Serene may take that as a jab, but it wasn't intended to be. A lot of the time we assume that the rules are the rules wherever you go on a site, but in this case the subforum actually has very specific rules added in addition to the ToS. Since she wasn't aware of it, I wanted to make her aware of it and try to soothe any hard feelings before they began. Obviously I didn't do such a great job.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Sorry Aaron, as you probably noticed, I find the "such and such wasn't enforced" sort of comments annoying.

As for rules, I personally try and break as many as I possibly can, believing more in the spirit of the law than the letter of the law.

Although you do list them at the top of the threads I've never read them. It's just a personal thing ... At least you got a reply from Sean :-)

• Like 1

Sean did finally get back to me. I responded and I'm waiting for his response. I'll let you guys know one way or the other, or you can let me know if you see the forum up before I get back on.

Aaron

What is your feeling about where this is heading? I mean there are dozens of books we could look at but I am not sure if it's practical to have to keep asking permission over and over for subforum created.

Maybe the mod's could be given the ability to simply add subforums to this area as we have already established this manner of reviewing texts?

I would not be against an "Other Documents" subforum at least they would be grouped to a subforum. But I would like to see who is interested in looking at the Shenzi text for starters.