thelerner

Q's...ONLY Teachers may Answer.

Thanks for responding people.

If I may>>

What were some of your most lasting and effective "sudden realizations" while learning Tai Chi movement (about TC movement, or otherwise)?

All of martial Tai Chi is contained within the Standing Tree "rooted" position, while swinging the arms side to side, using only the hips, completely and utterly relaxed, especially at the shoulders.

• Like 2

All of martial Tai Chi is contained within the Standing Tree "rooted" position, while swinging the arms side to side, using only the hips, completely and utterly relaxed, especially at the shoulders.

thanks for your response.

You're a taiji teacher?

Winter is coming. Some feel thats a good time to take a tonic for a little extra umph.

Are there any tonic's you'd recommend? Either a commercial formula or a home made recipe?

• Like 1

I bring a thermos of mugi miso broth with added ginger and assorted chili to my groups (have started adding a little coconut oil to it, too). Someone asked to try it yesterday, and was not pleased. However, it's an excellent tonic and you get used to the flavor.

• Like 2

I bring a thermos of mugi miso broth with added ginger and assorted chili to my groups (have started adding a little coconut oil to it, too). Someone asked to try it yesterday, and was not pleased. However, it's an excellent tonic and you get used to the flavor.

That sounds awesome and strong.

• Like 1

I think coffee shops like Starbucks would make a mint if they offered a mugs of miso during the winter. Its fast cheap healthy and really hits the spot. Heck they should sell a tablespoon of coconut butter too. How far behind the cutting edge do they want to be.

whoops, going off subject.

Other ideas for winter tonics?

edit errata>

Cool Facts About Miso and Its Health Benefits:

-With as little as 11 calories per gram of protein, it’s a great source of healthy protein.
-A low fat, high flavor addition to dishes; the strong flavor of miso means a little goes a long way, allowing you to cut down on calories and salt.
-It keeps your systems in balance by alkalizing the body (the body needs to be in an alkaline state, as opposed to an acidic state, to maintain wellness. Acidity is created in the body as a reaction to substances such as animal protein, coffee and sugar.)
-An excellent source of B vitamins, which may include B12 (There are conflicting reports on whether miso is a viable source of B12. This disagreement may be due to the variation of fermentation time and where and how the products being tested were produced.)
-Aids digestion and nutrient intake (This is possibly due to the digestive enzymes, lactobacilli, salt-resistant yeasts and beneficial micro-organisms present in miso) These benefits can be lost if cooked away, so avoid boiling or overcooking miso.
-A good source of manganese, tryptophan, zinc, phosphorus, copper, omega 3 fatty acids, lecithin, and linoleic acid.

also Mugi = Barley, very nutritious.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 3

You might want to purchase the following book:

Yin Yang Qi: The Art of Balancing Health

Overview: This book contains recipes for over fifty traditional Chinese soups and congees, some tasty and some not so tasty, but all developed to address specific aspects of health and to maintain bodily balance.

174 pages, hardcover.

Reasonably priced.

Soups and congees should be the staple of your diet: your internal organs will love them and they should be consumed basically on a daily basis. :)

• Like 7

I have that book, it's amazing! All my advices on the diet issues on this forum and elsewhere are based on that book. I even met the author briefly once.

• Like 1

I don't want to go into a lot of detail in public...I'm hoping someone more experienced could answer me this:

Can out of control empathic ability severely affect others in a negative way...as if deflecting the moods of random people onto others you come into contact with, even if there's been no spiritual connection with them?

I don't want to go into a lot of detail in public...I'm hoping someone more experienced could answer me this:

Can out of control empathic ability severely affect others in a negative way...as if deflecting the moods of random people onto others you come into contact with, even if there's been no spiritual connection with them?

The situation, even without details, might need to be understood better by whoever assesses it before suggesting remedies. "Control" is the name of the game. "Out of control" gives me some idea of the nature of the problem, but I wouldn't want to jump to conclusions without knowing more.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

honesty:     with ones self and others 

sincerity:    respect the practice and those of others

clarity:        understand what ones practice is about and is not.  

Edited by morninglight
  • Like 2

Well, I've taught kung-fu(Sung Lung Miu) and Shoto kan karate mixed m.a. with juijutsu, aikido, and ninjitsu, I'm now teaching Ashtanga yoga asana practice and couple that with meditation and pranayama. I don't teach Taoist meditation but I practice that more than anything at home. As I find it is the most comprehensive and effective way to increase chi flow. And it appears to be the one umbrella that offers more about this subject than any other that I've encountered. Goes well with iron sand palm training too.

Many good ideas on this subject, but for a beginner I'd start with simply putting a cold wet washcloth on the nape of your neck. Now that's simple!  

But there's the finger hold just in front of the hui yin that works as a last resort. This is if the semen has already started to leak out. Put the middle finger on the vas deference the fore finger on one side and the ring finger on the other to cradle the v.d. and push with the middle finger before it reaches the shaft. Push with just enough pressure to stop the flow and then massage with silk to keep the v.d. from being damaged. You may loose about 20% of your jing but it's better than loosing all of it. Best to use one of the ideas above first and keep the meditation internalized without falling into the trappings of the senses.     

On 8/3/2014 at 7:52 PM, thelerner said:

Question for teachers. Lets say the three basics of health are eating, exercise and sleep. Any special insights (things the general population ignores) into how to do those things better?

1. Eating includes all consumption - we consume approximately 18000 gallons of air a day - it weighs more than all of the physical food and drink we consume - yet we are conscious of only a tiny fraction of our breath.

We take in hundreds of square miles in a day with our eyes yet focus on and judge only tiny amounts.

What we read and reread in our minds is our main consumption - we live the compulsion of beliefs - yet we can choose to neither believe nor dis-believe. It is possible to examine and try and test without taking position or barring another look.

2. Exercise - we learn to dance, we learn to lift weights, run on mills, do "sport-yoga" - but we take little time in exercising our minds - teaching them to stay tuned for more than a millisecond - exercise them in restraint - exercise them in non-position, non- judgement, neutrality.  

We exercise our hearts in crudeness and harshness and false love and gobs of hate and rage - we view death and killing like we drink water. We take our bodies into the reflection of sewers and scenarious of a thousand sad lives in a day - and we cannot stand stillness - it is death, boredom, mamby pamby lifeless withdrawal goo. We are accustom to exercise in low vibration - edgy cutting edge judgement.

the beauty in Presence - the lightness in the moment - not torn forward or reversed - the gods can come forward in this - it is only where they exist - other is dead and deaf.

3. Sleep - the vibration you go to sleep in sets the frequency of your sleep.

Do not review what you will be doing tomorrow - you will be in tomorrow all night.

Go to sleep in gratitude and you will foster Joy all night.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 11

On 12/2/2017 at 8:30 PM, thelerner said:

bump

any questions you'd like to ask teacher members of the forum?

Funny... Staff was just talking about this... 

Question to the group.  Any value in a sub-forum here to take a more "Teacher's Corner" ?

• Like 1

On 12/8/2017 at 1:56 PM, dawei said:

Funny... Staff was just talking about this... 

Question to the group.  Any value in a sub-forum here to take a more "Teacher's Corner" ?

Yes, but could we see some proof that we are teachers? A photo of us with our students maybe?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Taiji Bum said:

Yes, but could we see some proof that we are teachers? A photo of us with our students maybe?

I understand the sentiment, but judging by the flow of this thread and general free/flow of conversation on the bums, that wouldn't help.  Trying to enforce it would create more spam then it would prevent.

On the other hand, if there was a Teachers Corner maybe they could ask for credentials and create special Permissions for such authorized Teachers.  But even that would be problematic since it'd keep regular people from asking questions, which is half of the purpose. 

Maybe the best is for teachers to create there own threads here (Systems and Teachers.), and define on the outset the parameters of the discussion and keep reminding people if the thread goes off subject. 

• Like 4

And they can describe themselves in their own PPD section. 

Edited by Mudfoot
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mudfoot said:

And they can describe themselves in their own PPD section. 

I agree with this. If a teacher wants to teach here on the TB, they can do that in PPD or as Flying Phoenix teacher does. Because there are people who consider themselves teachers but others do not necessarily agree with such a claim. So a Teacher corner will just create tension.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, idquest said:

So a Teacher corner will just create tension.

Because everywhere else on the site, everything and everybody can be questioned, but that might create difficulties in a spot for "recognized teachers". 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, thelerner said:

Enough conceptualizing, back to OP.   Any questions for Teachers? 

What teachers are we talking about? 

On 2/5/2013 at 4:38 PM, thelerner said:

What breathing exercises <if any> would you recommend for a beginner? How about for a more senior practitioner?

There's a breathing exercise that has many amazing benefits on many levels of cultivation, people who don't know it spend a loit of time doing some of the most ridiculous things in order to cultivate what that practice does with all of them at once, but it's secret.  Other than that, breathing deeply is very good because people should stretch their lungs.  I mainly wanted to correct the answers of some amateurs here, as follows:

On 2/5/2013 at 5:23 PM, mYTHmAKER said:

For taiji beginners breathe naturally, relax - the form will regulate your breath

On 2/5/2013 at 10:35 PM, Stigweard said:

This would be my advice also ... if you do the form "properly" it teaches you how to breathe. Too much focus on "special" breathing can be an artificial practice.

This is incorrect advice from amateurs, there is a very specific pattern of breathing that was taught to practitioners of Yang tai chi in the past, in fact Grandmaster Tchoung Ta Tchen said it was where the power really came from.  Evidently it is relatively unknown now.   Chen tai chi has a similar breathing pattern but it has differences due to the fast movements.

I don't know about Sun and Wu tai chi, but since they lost so many of their marbles I imagine they lost the way of breathing too.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 10:49 AM, Taiji Bum said:

or maybe 'A Teaching Corner'.  Another had the idea, so I'll have to follow up.