thelerner

Q's...ONLY Teachers may Answer.

This idea popped into my head. Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose. No discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers. <lets see if this matures or not>

Dear TB teachers <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

What are 3 simple things we can do to improve our cultivation.

Thank you

Michael

Here is my advise:

One aspect is enough to start off and is simple. Eat a vegetarian diet, have no flavorings or spice, (that means no garlic, no onions or anything that has a strong taste) it must be plain. Let go of your desire. One cannot achieve any form of cultivation when the mind is still full, one must begin to empty it in a real way.

• Like 1

yamu, that is a very mundane post. and i heard somewhere,, chogyam trunkpa i think, say that embracing the mundane one gets there somehow. of course the post has no weakness and i like this nugget > " Laugh and enjoy yourself "

and i agree , one could relax put their "carefree and natural" on and walk around all day with a smile. and it will be a good practice.

soon you will notice others smiling back at you and friendly exchanges. it will be wonderful for your health. and spirit will be raised.

• Like 5

I think the key is to take our cultivation seriously at each moment of the moment but to take the mundane as a place to enjoy as well as BE. Sure, dance in the wu wei in the moment of the moment, but no reason not to play guitar - loudly. We are meant to experience. And, the ascended masters have a sense of humor.

• Like 7

i think we need to understand how fortunate we are to have a practice/cultivation and like you say it needs to be done daily.

all daily hahaha halfway joking there ; ) and experience , yes. and experience for experience's sake alone. and BE authentic and true

edit> and from my perspective, with a good cultivation practice comes responsibility,

my idea about responsibility is not like taking the blame for sth but rather it is the

ability to respond

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

always been curious... does anyone know the "sensation" from a rip in the dantien?? thanks in advanced :-)

Let go of what has passed

Let go of what may come

Let go of what is happening now

Don’t try to figure anything out

Don’t try to make anything happen

Relax, right now, and rest

• Like 1

This idea popped into my head. Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose. I'd greatly prefer no discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers.

Teachers. Winter is a coming. Any particular practices to prepare for it? What about external stuff, such as Elixirs and herbals?

Edited by thelerner

cool weather is always a good time for some laogung breathing by the fire pit! B)

careful not to sweat too heavily when out in the cold, lest it seep in...be sure when you change clothes or go to shower if you have been sweating, minimize the amount of exposure.

Teachers, can you define what is a teacher?

Has a student ever been a teacher to you?

this is a little trollish. You can read the OP which states: <teacher=teaching students > 1 year

I'll remind you there are hundreds of threads you are free to answer. You can even start your own. This one I'd prefer to concentrate on teachers answers. If thats a problem for you or you have questions about why, then PM me. Please don't hijack this thread, start a new one instead.

Thanks.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 6

this is a little trollish. You can read the OP which states: <teacher=teaching students > 1 year

I'll remind you there are hundreds of threads you are free to answer. You can even start your own. This one I'd prefer to concentrate on teachers answers. If thats a problem for you or you have questions about why, then PM me. Please don't hijack this thread, start a new one instead.

Thanks.

Sorry, I was asking the teachers. I see your definition, I was interested in the teachers and wasn't trying to answer anything . . .

(I didn't know certain questions weren't allowed.)

My apologies.

I guess I'm not welcome to ask a question.

Edited by Dagon

Teachers. Winter is a coming. Any particular practices to prepare for it? What about external stuff, such as Elixirs and herbals?

Winter practices, internal and external alike, mind the Kidneys. This is the season when Water is born, and like any newborn, it is both at its strongest (all the potentials are there, ready to start unfolding, nothing has been used up yet) and its most vulnerable.

One of the things to be mindful of at this time is that it is the season of many "pernicious influences," and protect the Kidneys with utmost care. Cold penetrates and moves down in the body, accumulating in the kidneys, lower back, abdomen, legs. Don't let it accumulate. Protect your lower body and especially the kidneys area with adequate clothing, don't get chilled there. Don't eat or drink anything cold, and make a habit (if you haven't already) of eating soups throughout the season, preferably every day. This is more important than herbal elixirs and tonics, but if you want to use these, the warming, yang formulas are best taken during this period, plus those that replenish Protective qi.

Make a habit of massaging your kidneys for a minute or two every time you feel cold or low on energy. Do not indulge in any excessive activities, but do not give in to lethargy -- "slow and steady" is the spirit of the season, "even and persevering without exertion" is the mood to cultivate to match its energies.

• Like 10

Dagon, the OP was clear about what they were hoping for in this thread. Its not that you are not welcome to ask questions. Perhaps if your question was not like a smart-ass comment from the kind of disruptive hipster that populates the back row of thousands of intro-philosophy classes, then your query would have been better received. I'm not saying anything about you, only the nature of the question.

I have only one piece of advice in the world of cultivation. Be honest. Most of this world of Qigong and Neigong is a heavy mix of self-delusion and wishful thinking laid on top of crude folk models of ancient wisdom that make up a vast constellation of metaphysical assumptions and ignorance. The majority of so-called "Masters" are shining examples of the power of fake-it-til-you-make-it.

The thing is that the profoundly complex nature of existence means that we must lie to ourselves much of the time, and that our coping mechanisms are necessary to survive, despite that fact that most of our models of the world are complete fiction. Acting as if you can do it, especially when grounded in some kind of traditional version of wisdom, does very often result in positive physical cognitive and emotional changes (and, dare we say, spiritual awakening). So the lying, pretending and magical thinking is kind of needed to move forward to a greater or lesser degree in these practices.

In my experience the teachers that I have met, and sometimes studied with, that really seemed to have their finger on some kind of pulse of existence were the ones who were the most radically honest about their practice.

Know what you do not know. Don't confuse an experience with being experienced. Be honest about both strengths and weaknesses. Be honest about how you train, are you present or do you go through the motions or what is the mix? Be honest about your sensations; do you really feel it or do you just really want to feel it? Be honest about whether you are doing your own practice or just following your teacher; three years of classes without time spent on your own is plenty of teaching but zero training?

There is a lot of compassion to be found in radical honesty. Its hard for the ego to pop up too much if you recognize that you are largely faking your own life. Once we start to learn how hard it is to reach a standard of honesty in our own lives it sheds a clearer light on the struggles of the others around us. The more we can recognize that our teachers face the same struggles the sooner we can stop imposing upon them the pedestal of perfection to which no human can actually rise. Honesty grounds the lessons we give and receive into fruitful soil and reduces the risk of heading down a path of error and perhaps even risk.

Edited by kevin_wallbridge
  • Like 9

Thanks.

Dagon, the OP was clear about what they were hoping for in this thread. Its not that you are not welcome to ask questions. Perhaps if your question was not like a smart-ass comment from the kind of disruptive hipster that populates the back row of thousands of intro-philosophy classes, then your query would have been better received. I'm not saying anything about you, only the nature of the question.

I have only one piece of advice in the world of cultivation. Be honest. Most of this world of Qigong and Neigong is a heavy mix of self-delusion and wishful thinking laid on top of crude folk models of ancient wisdom that make up a vast constellation of metaphysical assumptions and ignorance. The majority of so-called "Masters" are shining examples of the power of fake-it-til-you-make-it.

The thing is that the profoundly complex nature of existence means that we must lie to ourselves much of the time, and that our coping mechanisms are necessary to survive, despite that fact that most of our models of the world are complete fiction. Acting as if you can do it, especially when grounded in some kind of traditional version of wisdom, does very often result in positive physical cognitive and emotional changes (and, dare we say, spiritual awakening). So the lying, pretending and magical thinking is kind of needed to move forward to a greater or lesser degree in these practices.

In my experience the teachers that I have met, and sometimes studied with, that really seemed to have their finger on some kind of pulse of existence were the ones who were the most radically honest about their practice.

Know what you do not know. Don't confuse an experience with being experienced. Be honest about both strengths and weaknesses. Be honest about how you train, are you present or do you go through the motions or what is the mix? Be honest about your sensations; do you really feel it or do you just really want to feel it? Be honest about whether you are doing your own practice or just following your teacher; three years of classes without time spent on your own is plenty of teaching but zero training?

There is a lot of compassion to be found in radical honesty. Its hard for the ego to pop up too much if you recognize that you are largely faking your own life. Once we start to learn how hard it is to reach a standard of honesty in our own lives it sheds a clearer light on the struggles of the others around us. The more we can recognize that our teachers face the same struggles the sooner we can stop imposing upon them the pedestal of perfection to which no human can actually rise. Honesty grounds the lessons we give and receive into fruitful soil and reduces the risk of heading down a path of error and perhaps even risk.

I was genuinely curious, but whatever.

How should I have better phrased my question to not look smart-ass?

I am also wondering if the teacher's have websites to sign up for lessons and/or evaluate their methods.

What styles do the teachers teach and who are some of your students here?

Edited by Dagon

Winter practices, internal and external alike, mind the Kidneys. This is the season when Water is born, and like any newborn, it is both at its strongest (all the potentials are there, ready to start unfolding, nothing has been used up yet) and its most vulnerable.

One of the things to be mindful of at this time is that it is the season of many "pernicious influences," and protect the Kidneys with utmost care. Cold penetrates and moves down in the body, accumulating in the kidneys, lower back, abdomen, legs. Don't let it accumulate. Protect your lower body and especially the kidneys area with adequate clothing, don't get chilled there. Don't eat or drink anything cold, and make a habit (if you haven't already) of eating soups throughout the season, preferably every day. This is more important than herbal elixirs and tonics, but if you want to use these, the warming, yang formulas are best taken during this period, plus those that replenish Protective qi.

Make a habit of massaging your kidneys for a minute or two every time you feel cold or low on energy. Do not indulge in any excessive activities, but do not give in to lethargy -- "slow and steady" is the spirit of the season, "even and persevering without exertion" is the mood to cultivate to match its energies.

May I add some uncommon things?

Drink something warm before and after practise

to relax the diaphragm, especially after one came

from the cold and want to practise.

If you want warm up your Lungs which is attacked by the

Cold by breathing the air one hold the warm water

long in mouth while one breath slowly

(works better with rice.)

Ever try to breath through rice

(just dont breath the rice in)?

(The rice pictogramm in one of the "Qi"

in Chinese Character - actually eight direction....)

This is awesome.(Dont breath into the rice,

you dont want cool it)

Also if you want sweat out cold that is accumulated

then it is good to use "spring onion" in water

to move it out adding "ginger" it opens the pores.

If the coldness cause stucking of toxins

because of closed pores then use apple vinegar

-some drops- in warm water to cause it to be

moving.

Else Water Path like exercises are enhanced in

this time when a downward flow is needed.

Also its good time to meditate.

• Like 3

Good suggestions, Friend.

I always thought that the character for qi is in reference to what makes the lid rattle on a pot of steaming rice. :)

Do you mean breathing in the vapor of cooking rice or actually holding rice (cooked or raw?) in your mouth? A Russian remedy for dry cough is breathing in the steam of cooked potatoes -- it actually makes one cough more at first but the cough becomes "productive."

I have a special Water practice (meditation, chant, qigong) for the whole duration of Winter -- 72 days. (Sorry can't share, got it from someone who asked me not to.)

Oh, and where I come from, if you come in from the cold chilled to the bone, the remedy is a shot of vodka. I hate vodka, and live in a pretty warm climate now, but it's worth knowing. Hot dry red wine with sugar and spices, Glühwein, is another option. This can prevent an impending cold or reverse it if you catch it early, take Glühwein before bedtime, and sleep under some extra blankets. The spices vary from region to region -- I use cloves, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and a slice of lemon.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

I always thought that the character for qi is in reference to what makes the lid rattle on a pot of steaming rice. :)

Do you mean breathing in the vapor of cooking rice or actually holding rice (cooked or raw?) in your mouth? A Russian remedy for dry cough is breathing in the steam of cooked potatoes -- it actually makes one cough more at first but the cough becomes "productive."

Cooked steaming rice.

You see other cultures do something similar.

The rice has its good of stickiness

and leave enough space to breath in.

I have a special Water practice (meditation, chant, qigong) for the whole duration of Winter -- 72 days. (Sorry can't share, got it from someone who asked me not to.)

Oh, and where I come from, if you come in from the cold chilled to the bone, the remedy is a shot of vodka. I hate vodka, and live in a pretty warm climate now, but it's worth knowing. Hot dry red wine with sugar and spices, Glühwein, is another option. This can prevent an impending cold or reverse it if you catch it early, take Glühwein before bedtime, and sleep under some extra blankets. The spices vary from region to region -- I use cloves, cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon and a slice of lemon.

Its ok we have all our oats and give our promises,

when certain condition meet the things are revealed

and then taken away at another time.

Ah good Glühwein, which is making warm

and then drinked in Germany at Christmas Time.

Old tradition was founded by wise men.

• Like 4

Good suggestions, Friend.

seems like that caribbean mamajuana drink might be good for this, too...although that's made with herb soaked wine combined with rum. I still have a bottle of the herbs from when I was down in the dominican.

• Like 1

this is a little bit more than 3, my tips are be 1.honest with your self in what you truly desire to accomplish. lying to yourself is the greatest sin. 2.never stop learning and use all information availible to accomplish your goal, only leave out what truly dosent work. surround yourself with a network of like minded individuals that motivate and uplift you to work hard and be the best that yo u can be. 4. take care of your mind body and spirit by by feeding each one of them equally, rite thinking, rite eating, and rite being according to who you wish to become. 5. challenge yourself to do better and become more according to your position in life and keep your goals realistic. 6. know by doing, being, understanding and by practicing..wisdom,experience, and knowledge gained their of is the greatest teacher, all others pale in comparison. 7. you only have one body in this life which houses the mind and spirit take care of it for their are no replacements!

• Like 3

This idea popped into my head. Instead of an open discussion, make a topic for people to ask a question and have one of our onboard teachers answer, if they choose. No discussion beyond a follow up question and no comments or 'advice' from non teachers. <lets see if this matures or not>

Dear TB teachers <teacher=teaching students > 1 year>, <even humble Taijiquan'ers>

What are 3 simple things we can do to improve our cultivation.

Thank you

Michael

1. Way of Purity or "keep your heart-mind in the realm of clarity and purity and being free of deviant states of consciousness".
Substantially, practice of this Way consists from the following:
  • To live a just and sincere life according to moral principles (not to kill, not to deceive, not to steal, not to use foul language etc.).
  • To develop in oneself such virtuous features as compassion, love, forgiveness, courage, peace, generosity and others.
  • Not to do, not to say, and not to think about anything that could harm a human or the Nature in general.
  • To help with ideas, words and actions to those who need it, whether they are humans, animals or plants.
  • To hold in esteem and respect not only those whom you love and care about, but all living creatures.
Of course, this Way is not limited by above mentioned practices. Only the simplest methods were named herein, in order just to help to understand what it is about.
2. Inner Alchemy meditation or "In purity and tranquility, gradually enter the True Dao".
Meditative practices (打坐 – Dazuo) suggesting sitting in a motionless calm and silence (静坐 – Jinzuo) that helps to understand oneself and return to the roots, to touch original (“divine”) nature and direct own knowledge to understanding and connection with the truth (with Dao).
3. Art of External Moving (外动功).
It can be different dynamic practices like Dao Yin or Taiji, etc. This is a good training for a physical body, energy system and consciousness.
It is important to understand that, especially on the initial stages, disciples essentially need active bodywork, where dynamic practices of regulation of Jing, Qi and Shen are present, as it is one of the stages of “laying a foundation”. Ignoring this unit renders difficulties on the way of disciple’s self-improvement, as a weak physical body, unprepared energy system and weak consciousness simply would not allow reaching significant results. If a disciple neglects or, because of some reasons, does not practice dynamic forms, his progress in learning Inner Alchemy methods will slow down.
In such a way, complex approach to a development of a human being is realized, and not a lop-sided training of either consciousness or body.
P.S.

And, of course, drink Chinese tea :)

• Like 4

Three things I mention in my groups:

• daily practice (even if it sometimes means only 5 minutes, you still keep the rhythm going)
  • groups are for learning but the real practice happens when you're alone
  • live symbiotically with nature -- make it a win/win relationship
  • Like 7

Question for teachers. Lets say the three basics of health are eating, exercise and sleep. Any special insights (things the general population ignores) into how to do those things better?

Detox:

The liver and gallbladder (and their mother: kidney) are the main organs of focus. You cleanse those and automatically you start tuning in with the natural rhythms of nature. Eat well before noon and stop eating altogether after the urinary bladder becomes active (3pm). As a result your sleep will miraculously improve. However to get to that point lots of toxins will be released from the wood organs which will be diverted to the earth element (stomach, spleen) in order to relief the pressure towards the heart (house of fire) as otherwise it will be shattered very quickly due to the amount of toxins the wood organs have to put up with due to modern lifestyle. The liver is a giant processor as well as a regulator of all human emotions. Imagine if all those things the liver bloks and regulates get suddenly release to its child (the heart): instant heart attack, which is not a rarity anyway. So liver fire starts invading the stomach and the spleen, and then the children of the latter (lungs and large intestine) get blocked as a result with the corresponding health issues (phlegm production, eczema, allergies (signs of spleen qi deficiency), respiratory infections, inability to let go, poor equilibrium...(main large intestine "toxins"), etc.

Diet: try to follow Asian diet. Generally speaking, Western diet is not indicated for people who cultivate the mind and the the energetic body (5 elements, jing-qi-shen...)

Sleep: cultivate the kidneys to nourish the liver and gallbladder as these two organs are directly related to sleep quality. Alcohol, drugs, excessive sexual activity, excessive computer use, overworking, overactivity, etc. Going up and down in life (from one extreme to another) take a huge toll on kidney qi and sap the jing which in turn dries up the "tree" (liver) you have inside...and once it dries up completely the shen/heart has no other place to stay so you'll be physically dead. The motto should be: keep calm all the time. Absolute serenity. :)

2v96rz4.jpg

and

142uhp3.jpg

+

2yjykbq.jpg

=

2pplgrr.jpg

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 10