Sign in to follow this  
Colorado Sage

Music for Meditation/Relaxation/Contemplation

I'm a big music fanatic and work in the music business. I cherish world music and have been listening to it since the mid 80's. I'd like to start a music thread - find out what others listen to to relax or meditate.

I use Spotify to listen to music nowadays - I pay the $10 so that I can take my playlists with me on my phone and iPad. It's free if you just want it on your PC.

Here's a link to an album on Spotify that is fantastic:

Joseph Tawadros – The Prophet (Music Inspired By the Poetry of Kahlil Gibran)

Edited by Colorado Sage

i like boards of canada. i wouldn't recommend it for meditation, but i like to go to bed listening to it or just something to trip out to

i also like binaural beats/music made with binaural tones in the background, listening to different clips of rain hitting various surfaces, different kinds of "noise" (there are different colors of noise, each has its own feel to it)

and it isn't really music but i also like to chill out to soft-spoken ASMR videos with people scratching textured surfaces. good fun that is

me neither, i view music as a distraction personally. It helps bring your attention inward a bit but once its there its there

i approve of a music thread though, want to see others choices :)

and it isn't really music but i also like to chill out to soft-spoken ASMR videos with people scratching textured surfaces. good fun that is

Pardon my ignorance but what is ASMR?

No music for meditation. Music for pleasure:-) I'm trying to find 'new' stuff I really enjoy but finding that tough because there's something 'missing' - maybe it's a production thing or the devices I'm using to listen to it but it sounds like a bunch of frequencies have been lobbed off.

The 'natural sounds' thing doesn't seem to work for me as the loops are repeated too fast so I can tell and it makes them feel artificial. If someone would go out and just record an entire soundscape for an hour, maybe that would feel better. Or maybe I should just buy a drum or something (not sure neighbours would be happy).

I don't use music to meditate or contemplate. But for relaxation, I could go on: any classical baroque largos I can get my hands on, any gregorian chant (its like a sonic shower!), anything well-composed that features an Erhu. There is a whole depth of info on the wisdom of the Erhu in Chinese music - how it can even move the chi around your body. Zen and the Art of Relaxation by Anzan, Earth by Alex Theory, Tibetan Bowls by Wychazel, and Silk Road by Kitaro - just awesome- , these are the cream of the crop for me.

• Like 1

All the light stuff is not enough to get my focus away, metal is nice for that

And stuff that inspires emotion is nice too, since emotion governs energy better then thought

I find silence to be especially musical during meditation.

I also like Wu Jinglue on the Qin/Guzheng

Nawang Kechog (former Tibetan monk) on various flutes, Sounds of Peace album

There's a lot of good Chinese-traditional music on youtube Tai Chi demo's too :) .

fellow musician here too, btw ;)

Edited by Harmonious Emptiness

Pardon my ignorance but what is ASMR?

specifically its a feeling you get when you feel safe, are watching someone concentrate or pay mindful attention to you. Imagine how you may have felt if you ever had your grandparents read to you

People (usually women) post videos of themselves speaking softly and doing soothing activities and you watch them and you get this kind of buzz from it. The feeling is like the opposite of fear, as in you know for certain that nothing could go wrong and you feel totally safe and not judgmental

just do a youtube search for asmr. i like book scratching, water pouring, hand brushing, watching videos of people giving massages, even people doing qigong does it for me

I think in order to train oneself you can have music on while you meditate; if you look at many Taoist and Buddhist temples there will be music playing and it can be quite noisy to Western ears.

The training is in being able to relax with whatever situation or atmosphere present and to simply be relaxed.

I have listened to Taoist music when practising Zhan Zhuang and at other times I will stand in complete silence; giving both a try is fine as long as there is some benefit.

• Like 2

GLACIER

You just want to live your life
The best way you know how
But they keep on telling you
That you are not allowed

They say that you are sick
That you should hang your head in shame
They are pointing fingers
And want you to take the blame

There are days when people are
So nasty and convincing