Sign in to follow this  
Meridian_Man

Qigong and it's effect

I began qigong a week ago. I diligently perform my exercises every morning. Today as I was walking my colleague was having a difficult time keeping up with me. Indeed, throughout the day I began to get a feeling as though I was moving effortlessly. Almost as though I were a leaf carried on the wind.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a side effect of the particular method I am working or is this typical of all qigong methods?

Edited by Meridian_Man
  • Like 2

I'd be curious to hear the responses. I have never practiced anything physical in my journey so far. My last few days here have introduced so many practices its a bit overwhelming. I'm curious about qigong and baguazhang so far.

I began qigong a week ago. I diligently perform my exercises every morning. Today as I was walking my colleague was having a difficult time keeping up with me. Indeed, throughout the day I began to get a feeling as though I was moving effortlessly. Almost as though I were a leaf carried on the wind.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this a side effect of the particular method I am working or is this typical of all qigong methods?

Begun a week ago with such efficacy...!!! WOW, you'll be a master in a month then.

• Like 1

@ChiDragon: I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny. I honestly do not know if this qualifies as a dramatic effect. Am I to understand that this is not a normal reaction? I do not believe in mastery.

Looking at your conversations on here you seem to be a very knowledgeable individual. Especially about qigong. And as such you would recognize how preposterous your statement about mastery in a month is. I did not ask the question for ridicule. And whether or not you believe me is inconsequential. And I would still like the question answered. Perhaps you know the answer. If so please share.

I do not know much about qigong. I am learning. I've read many accounts about the feelings people get during exercise. Some say they feel burning or warming in the body. Others say they feel a pulse. But I have not found an account of what people experience afterwards.

To clarify further. I am experiencing moments where my limbs sort of lose weight and resistance. It is not a continuous effect. Have you ever walked in the direction of a strong wind? This feeling is similar.

Also, there are no other influences. I'm a level headed guy, no drugs and no alcohol.

I'm beginning to regret asking the question.

Edited by Meridian_Man
  • Like 1

The effects will differ based on the practices and the person, and I am thinking mostly in terms of energetics. I don't think what you experience is anything unusual. I had some tremendous energy increases at different points, so it doesn't have to be just at the start.

Also, consider that your exchanging energy with the universe and the energy circulating in you can be likened to oil in a car for my example... Your energy exchange with the universe will also act like an 'oil change' as you purge junk out and get clean energy to replace it. What is the energy junk which is purging? It can be coming out of your limbs, your organs, your stored emotions, etc...

Do you know when people say after they've had a tremendous emotional lift once a burden comes off their back... What has really come off of them? Or purged out of them?

The advantage in what your doing is that your accessing universal energy and can do it 24/7, not just during practice.

• Like 3

Ha, yes:-) 1st evening after starting qigong I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise outside and decided I would go find out what it was and chase them away if required. Before that I would've pulled the covers higher over my head.

@ChiDragon: I'm not sure if you're trying to be funny. I honestly do not know if this qualifies as a dramatic effect. Am I to understand that this is not a normal reaction? I do not believe in mastery.

Looking at your conversations on here you seem to be a very knowledgeable individual. Especially about qigong. And as such you would recognize how preposterous your statement about mastery in a month is. I did not ask the question for ridicule. And whether or not you believe me is inconsequential. And I would still like the question answered. Perhaps you know the answer. If so please share.

I do not know much about qigong. I am learning. I've read many accounts about the feelings people get during exercise. Some say they feel burning or warming in the body. Others say they feel a pulse. But I have not found an account of what people experience afterwards.

To clarify further. I am experiencing moments where my limbs sort of lose weight and resistance. It is not a continuous effect. Have you ever walked in the direction of a strong wind? This feeling is similar.

Also, there are no other influences. I'm a level headed guy, no drugs and no alcohol.

I'm beginning to regret asking the question.

Sorry about that. I apologize. You see when people speak about qigong, I really don't know what they have in mind. Everybody seems to have a different idea. Anyway, before I can answer your question, I need to know how did you practice your qigong. I don't need to know what is your style but just tell me what did you do. Then we going from there.

First thing, please tell me your breathing and health condition. How far can you breathe down like to the chest or abdomen.....???

Edited by ChiDragon

I remember my first week of standing excercises as the introduction to a country I had lived next to all my life and had no idea existed.

This whole new place to be.

• Like 1

@ChiDragon: I breath down into my abdomen. That is a habit that I picked up while playing trumpet.

Every morning I do fire dragon qigong. First is a warm up (shaking the tree, swinging arms). Then the fire dragon method follows. It involves tapping down the inside and outside of each arm and then guiding your hands over those same areas. The back and legs are treated likewise. I think anyone familiar with fire dragon will know what I'm talking about. I've researched the internet and this form is fairly common.

I am in excellent health.

I also do not follow your idea that people talk about qigong and they don't know what they are talking about. I would prefer to give someone the benefit of the doubt.

I am not following some youtube video or a tutorial that I linked to off of a wiki page. I signed up for a class. I hired an instructor.

Anyway it looks like others have provided a real answer. I am not the only one to experience this.

Good luck in your journey.

The effects will differ based on the practices and the person, and I am thinking mostly in terms of energetics. I don't think what you experience is anything unusual. I had some tremendous energy increases at different points, so it doesn't have to be just at the start.

Also, consider that your exchanging energy with the universe and the energy circulating in you can be likened to oil in a car for my example... Your energy exchange with the universe will also act like an 'oil change' as you purge junk out and get clean energy to replace it. What is the energy junk which is purging? It can be coming out of your limbs, your organs, your stored emotions, etc...

Do you know when people say after they've had a tremendous emotional lift once a burden comes off their back... What has really come off of them? Or purged out of them?

The advantage in what your doing is that your accessing universal energy and can do it 24/7, not just during practice.

Thank you for this thorough response. You make a good point about getting the lead out so to speak.

Yes, I had that the first day I started qigong. I walked miles home effortlessly, a journey which would usually have been a bus ride.

Just striding along as if I could walk forever, as if my stride were longer and my back straighter and my body light as a feather.

Yeh. Its qigong effects.

Light as a feather. I like that. Good way of putting it. Thank you for your input.

. You see when people speak about qigong, I really don't know what they have in mind. Everybody seems to have a different idea.

That's coz there's as many types of Qi as there are types of Gong's.

What you're promoting is only one type, there are millions out there.

When I first started out, my arms felt like they were very heavy and made of metal

Then one day after meditating outside I felt like I was made of golden light and people around me felt like giving me stuff

There are a bunch of different things felt inside a body after the exercises and are more noticeable right after starting out

The energy is made to move around the body and go to places it haven't went to before, after a while it might become less noticeable because the body starts to balance the energy out

More about it from my Grandmanster http://immortalportal.wordpress.com/suwen-commentary-by-jiang-jing/

• Like 1

@ChiDragon: I breath down into my abdomen. That is a habit that I picked up while playing trumpet.

Every morning I do fire dragon qigong. First is a warm up (shaking the tree, swinging arms). Then the fire dragon method follows. It involves tapping down the inside and outside of each arm and then guiding your hands over those same areas. The back and legs are treated likewise. I think anyone familiar with fire dragon will know what I'm talking about. I've researched the internet and this form is fairly common.

I am in excellent health.

Yes, I thought you had done something, in the past, to substantiate the claim in your OP. Anyway, now, I know why that you have advanced so quickly in your qigong practice. Just keep up the good work.....:)

Begun a week ago with such efficacy...!!! WOW, you'll be a master in a month then.

~~~~Moderator's warning~~~~

Belittling our members is against this forum's rules. You know this because we had this conversation before, more than once. Do take to heart.

Thanks for the warning. Sorry, he took it the wrong way. I thought it was impossible to have such effect in a week practice and I was expected to hear more from him which I did. My bad. :(

Edited by ChiDragon

Actually ChiDragon did apologize on post #10. I think it was just a somewhat tactless and awkward writing from him. No big deal :)

All,

I would rather be direct and simply say that ChiDragon and his opinion of me are of no consequence. This isn't the first time someone told me what is and is not possible. I do find it a little ironic that it is happening on a taoist board. If a person expects all others experiences, and truth for that matter, to mirror their own then there is nothing left to say to that person. That's a battle they fight alone.

Please just let it fall to the ground. I would rather people answer the original question that I put forth. I would like to hear of others experiences after starting qigong.

It's an anonymous forum. There's nothing to gain from lies or deception. No thrill in gaining the admiration of avatars. I view this as a place to speak freely. Again, there is nothing to fear in the ridicule of some faceless avatar. We should speak freely so that all experiences are known. There is no real cost in this. Let's not allow our egos to detract from this conversation.

If a person tells me that they flew on a broom yesterday I will be in no position to refute them. I will stand dumb and ask questions like an idiot. This is my position.

Apparently my experience was similar to others. Apparently some after only their first lesson. I have given my account of the method I follow.

I believe there are other experiences. I want to hear them.

Edited by Meridian_Man
  • Like 1

As 宁 suggests, there is something personal about everyone's practice. What you encounter and struggle with and succeed in is yours alone... it will certainly have some common ground and experience with others practice. Your experience is natural for you. Just forget anyone else's disbelief. So let's just talk straight.

You raised an interesting point of: 'what happens afterwards'. I recall when doing group Qigong where energy was practiced as shared and exchanged and sent around the group... but the last 20 minutes of practice was to lay down and empty oneself. That last 20 minutes was the most energetic moment of the entire 2 hours. It was as if the energy which was moving for the past 100 minutes needed to now really "do it's own thing". It would race all over my body like christmas lights. When I went home, I could not sleep until 3am. There was a universal light bulb during the day. And I floated around.

Later when I engaged other practices, I learned to generate that Qi floating feeling. As an example: You can raise your arm with Qi, and this works well with Tai Ji practices.

I don't know all your practice and direction but I will warn you to tame your excitement. I was practicing everywhere possible including at 33,000 feet on my business trips. I found every excuse to practice and push the limits... I literally shocked myself seeking the merging of Yin and Yang. And now my nervous system has some fall out from that. There are days I have it under control with breath or the third eye; and other days it is a vibrational symphony. My study of Medical QIgong has probably kept me together more than anything else. Healing others really starts with healing self... so I pulled back from that study to focus on the basic truism of life. I will leave you with that.

• Like 1

Meridian_Man.....

I do respect and consider you as true Taoist. You've learned the lessons well from the Tao Te Ching. Welcome aboard......!!! :)

Oh. I didn't realize that Meridian_Man considered himself a true Taoist.

I am curious if Meridian_Man can speak for himself.

@Meridian_Man: How would you like to be labeled? (If at all)

And I missed where you shared your lessons learned from the Tao Te Ching... Was that in another post?

Edited by dawei

Sign in to follow this