Sign in to follow this  
thelerner

Its almost imperceptable but it hurts the forum when fewer Topics show

We have so many sub forums and pinned topics that I think, there are fewer topics on the first page. That's bad. Once a discussion gets to page 2, very often its ignored and dies no matter how worthwhile it is. With only 18 slots good topics are likely killed by trivial ones. I wonder if anything could be done?

A religious subforum that collects all the separate 'religious' ones into a single <and includes Christianity>? Media thrown as subforum into books or vice versa. Or maybe just allowing more topics to show up on page 1.

Dunno, random thoughts from someone who won't have to do any work.

M.

• Like 1

I think it's a good point M, BTW Have you ever felt like moderating?

I have never been a fan of "pins" And once taoist discussion was split into general discussion there was really no way to stop the birth of the "myriad things" (i.e. subforums) :-(

But back to"pins" Eg Stig's pinned faq, where he recently posted he was suprised it's still pinned and that it needed housekeeping iirc. I actually once thought of unpining it, but the guy put a stack of time and effort into it and it would be a waste to lose it down page.

Apech asking about the articles section, which again is something we attempted to tidy up when it was getting flooded with poems, but couldn't find a way to do it fairly and without wasting the effort people were putting into the posts.

Imho TTB really could benefit from a good tidy up (a lot of stuff is out of date and needs to be retyped) but practically I really don't see how you could gain "agreement" on what to "change" from TTB ... I see debating the unfairness of moderating is still popular.

p.s. On the mobile the 1st page just scrolls down for a long as you want to try scrolling (like Facebook) but I agree anything past page 3 is pretty much gone, I use to like finding posts with no replies on page 10 and bumping them ;-)

• Like 1

mal!!

Imho TTB really could benefit from a good tidy up (a lot of stuff is out of date and needs to be retyped) but practically I really don't see how you could gain "agreement" on what to "change" from TTB

I really agree. I dont think it is possible to please all of the people all of the time, as you say.. and does that mean that nothing happens ... seems like stagnation..

Anything that you see which really is out of date, please report and I'll try to tidy uncontroversially (... or controversially if the board is need of some controversy at that moment ....)

viator,

as I see it, General area is for topics related to the theme of the board.

Off Topic is for...... other stuff.

Fluffy delineation? Welcome to dao world... :)

I think it's a good point M, BTW Have you ever felt like moderating?

Sometimes. Course then I couldn't be as flippant and semi-obnoxious at times. I just deleted a long well thought out post consisting of the argument-I understand your point, mine is I'd break your nose and blacken your eyes if you said that to me in public. Thus proving I lack the even keeled temperament a moderator needs.

Sometimes. Course then I couldn't be as flippant and semi-obnoxious at times. I just deleted a long well thought out post consisting of the argument-I understand your point, mine is I'd break your nose and blacken your eyes if you said that to me in public. Thus proving I lack the even keeled temperament a moderator needs.

Yes, this idea of 'a mod' as someone wearing a uniform, or a parent, is, I think an immature response to what moderating on this board could be. I wonder if the word has negative associations or is too 'official' sounding. If we have to wear a constant persona which excludes elbow room for flippancy etc,,, then there wont be any mods, Its too confining, too much of an imposition. After all, we are taobums.

Unless some taobums turn up here who are sort of Spock like. .. :huh: .. most irreproachably correct people.. (where are they?!)..and they want to moderate.. ;)

Its perfectly possible to be well balanced and also otherwise when you feel so inclined...and again, bearing in mind there's never full agreement about anything anyway.... so why be forced into mediocrity in order to hedge all bets... :excl:

• Like 2

Then you really shouldn't go out in public until you develop some self-control - that would be totally unacceptable behaviour and if you ran into the wrong person, it would cost you your life.

I also use to type and then delete posts like thelerner Found it carthatic.

cat I will try but I'm reluctant to get drawn back into TTB too much (I've been online a bit more than I'd wish recently) TTB's a bit too addictive (eg I'm actually at work at the moment) but here is just a simple example in the FAQ

http://thetaobums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

Uhhh, Where Should I Post? In the Taoist Discussion section maintain a sincere intention to keep your posts relevant to cultivation and to stay on topic if you are replying in a thread. The Personal Practice Discussion subsection is where you can start your own topic detailing your daily cultivation work for discussion with the community. The Contributed Articles section is for complete, member contributed articles. Feel free to post in there. Your article will appear when approved by a Moderator.

(my bolds) I think moderator approval for contributed articles was even before my time, I don't know where you would find that to edit it in the ACP, and it's really not that big a deal... unless you were new and went to read the faq

Then you really shouldn't go out in public until you develop some self-control - that would be totally unacceptable behaviour and if you ran into the wrong person, it would cost you your life.

And yet I live :)

• Like 1

Mal

cat I will try but I'm reluctant to get drawn back into TTB too much (I've been online a bit more than I'd wish recently)

Yeh I really understand. ;) Miss you.xxxxxxxxx

Next time I go into admin I will have a look see if I can edit that piece.. lots of things are not that big a deal, but they add up, dont they..

anyway, nice to see you..

:wub:

And the point that you're attempting to make is ......? :rolleyes:

:P

beginning of silliness.

Edited by thelerner

Are we so civilized that we've lost passion? Is there no outrage we would fight against? Are we neutered? For myself I answer No. At the risk of life, limb and liberty, I SAY NO.

Not for king or country, God can take care of himself, not even for honor, but there is a point, certain subjects where I say 'You are being offense, say one more thing and you will have to defend it with your fists.' The implication being I will break their nose and blacken their eyes if they say one more thing. To be clear, the nose should be at a 90 degree angle and have be rebroken to set it and two weeks later the eyes should be turning from dark purple to motley red.

That is my point. My argument is my fist. Its not something I've done lightly. Its a Man thing and not a civilized one. Whether its stupid, foolish or heroic lies in the details and the man.

That's would be a demonstration of both immaturity and of criminality. Real men don't behave like that. Little boys behave like that - usually, it's a reflection of bad parenting.

Clearly, you've chosen an entirely appropraiate handle.

Edited by gatito

That's would be a demonstration of both immaturity and of criminality. Real men don't behave like that.

Yawnn, get back on subject ace.

My earlier point is by having 7 sub forums, and 6 pinned topics on top hurts the flow of discussion because it only leaves 18 spots on the front page of General Discussion. While I applaud people who dig up old old discussions and keep good topics alive and its good to know we can see all the new hits, still we probably lose something when discussion are flushed too quickly. If an immature criminal like myself can see that, others could too :).

Edited by thelerner

Now you've clearly demonstrated your lack of maurity, sonny,

How about the rest........?

Sorry about the typo - I meant to say "your lack of maturity" of course - LOL

Edited by gatito

My earlier point is by having 7 sub forums, and 6 pinned topics on top hurts the flow of discussion because it only leaves 18 spots on the front page of General Discussion. While I applaud people who dig up old old discussions and keep good topics alive and its good to know we can see all the new hits, still we probably lose something when discussion are flushed too quickly. If an immature criminal like myself can see that, others could too :).

Yaawnnn, you must have something better to do then write to me each of your thoughts.

I was going to write 'Are you focused on me or is it someone else' you're thinking of when you write assumptions. Then I thought, I don't really care. No need to write back, but you may want to think about it, you've created a caricature, who is it really pointed at; your mom, dad, some past abuser??

I repeat I don't really care, but it might help you along psychologically :).

Back on Mal's question in the original subject: I repeat I may not be the best fit for being a mod but thank you for asking.

"An immature criminal" would indeed be an extremely stupid choice.

Are we so civilized that we've lost passion? Is there no outrage we would fight against? Are we neutered? For myself I answer No. At the risk of life, limb and liberty, I SAY NO.

Not for king or country, God can take care of himself, not even for honor, but there is a point, certain subjects where I say 'You are being offense, say one more thing and you will have to defend it with your fists.' The implication being I will break their nose and blacken their eyes if they say one more thing. To be clear, the nose should be at a 90 degree angle and have be rebroken to set it and two weeks later the eyes should be turning from dark purple to motley red.

That is my point. My argument is my fist. Its not something I've done lightly. Its a Man thing and not a civilized one. Whether its stupid, foolish or heroic lies in the details and the man.

Do you often fantasise about this kind of graphic violence?

Back on Mal's question in the original subject: I repeat I may not be the best fit for being a mod but thank you for asking.

No worries .... I never looked for best fit, constant contribution over time means more ;)

So back to pins and subs, most forums have a pile of pins taking up space (they always multiply over time) and it's tricky and time consuming to re-edit and merge/move threads but it can be done.

The subs are a product of the board software as everything is like a tree. So to have eg Hermetic and Occult Discussion underneath General discussion just like a file systems the board then shows the folders (sub forums) first and then the files (actual discussing threads in that parent folder) as you navigate down the tree.

So to "remove them" you need parent directorys to hold the folders that don't actually have discussions in them (currently that's like The Tao Bums and The Tao Lounge)

eg the general discussions folder holds

1. Buddhist Discussion,
  2. Vedanta Discussion,
  3. Hermetic and Occult Discussion,
  4. Book Club,
  5. Healing Circle,
  6. Lending Library,
  7. Film/Media resources

Plus the threads themselves

so you would need to add another folder "General discussion" and move the actual discussion threads into that folder.

Other thing that can be done, the number of threads shown per "page" is (was?) globably selectable and also selectable for each folder. You use to be able to set eg General discussion to show 100 threads per page. BUT you then have to load all of those in your browser to view the page and that slows page load times which is why the board has that "view more threads option" at the bottom.

• Like 1

Yaawnnn, you must have something better to do then write to me each of your thoughts.

I was going to write 'Are you focused on me or is it someone else' you're thinking of when you write assumptions. Then I thought, I don't really care. No need to write back, but you may want to think about it, you've created a caricature, who is it really pointed at; your mom, dad, some past abuser??

I repeat I don't really care, but it might help you along psychologically :).

Hell, I'll put this in to: If for some reason you feel I have physically threatened you, please be assured that in no way was my intention. I used the initial anecdote that you've globbed onto as an example of writing something a bit extreme then deleting it. That, I believe is what's triggered your apprehension and condescension. see i did it again, there was the word moronic in the last sentence and now its not, I edited it out. i'll probably edit this line out too. or not

No worries .... I never looked for best fit, constant contribution over time means more ;)

So back to pins and subs, most forums have a pile of pins taking up space (they always multiply over time) and it's tricky and time consuming to re-edit and merge/move threads but it can be done.

The subs are a product of the board software as everything is like a tree. So to have eg Hermetic and Occult Discussion underneath General discussion just like a file systems the board then shows the folders (sub forums) first and then the files (actual discussing threads in that parent folder) as you navigate down the tree.

So to "remove them" you need parent directorys to hold the folders that don't actually have discussions in them (currently that's like The Tao Bums and The Tao Lounge)

eg the general discussions folder holds

1. Buddhist Discussion,
  2. Vedanta Discussion,
  3. Hermetic and Occult Discussion,
  4. Book Club,
  5. Healing Circle,
  6. Lending Library,
  7. Film/Media resources

Plus the threads themselves

so you would need to add another folder "General discussion" and move the actual discussion threads into that folder.

Other thing that can be done, the number of threads shown per "page" is (was?) globably selectable and also selectable for each folder. You use to be able to set eg General discussion to show 100 threads per page. BUT you then have to load all of those in your browser to view the page and that slows page load times which is why the board has that "view more threads option" at the bottom.

Sign in to follow this