Sign in to follow this  
thaddeus

Ancient Hebrew/Sanskrit alphabet

Anyone know offhand if there is a relationship between Hebrew and Sanskrit? Both are considered holy languages and there is special meaning in the sounds and the shapes of the letters. Any other language you can think of that is considered spiritual?

T

Very cool..I'm curious if there is a relationship between sound and shape of the letters of the sacred alphabets..that would be interesting..

T

I watched a programme once with some scholars and the like studying Sanskrit.

They were quite shocked by it because they found that as a language it is mathematically perfect.

I cant remember exactly what that means :lol:

but the scientists were amazed.

I watched a programme once with some scholars and the like studying Sanskrit.

They were quite shocked by it because they found that as a language it is mathematically perfect.

I cant remember exactly what that means :lol:

but the scientists were amazed.

that's interesting because same is said of the hebrew alphabet..i would like to understand that better...

T

I've been working on sacred vowels. Aayee HhEee Ahhh Ohhhh Ooooo and sometimes Uuuhhhh. Where you feel them, what they do. I'm working with a Medieval Kabbalist Abdulah Abulafiahs's system. Its a Jewish system, but its similar to Japanese Kotodama. I'm sure it echoes ancient Egyptian and older Shamanic practices. I have a modern CD 'The Human Voice Project' and its a modern rediscovering of using the same vowel sounds to heal.

Certainly Alchemical Taoism is all over sound/vowels as the language of the soul/organs. Every tradition I've seen has connected AAhhhhh to the heart. Its simple too obvious to miss. Its hard wired into us. We Aahh at beauty and to let off steam.

Theres a primieval feeling to it. In temple the ancient prayers when song, reflect through the body and its quite an experience.

At the deepest level there is the void and silence, but between that and our reality there is vibration that becomes everything. To Yogis it is Ohhhmmmnnn that underlines all of existence. In Judiasm it is the names of G-d and many of them internally echo from head to belly. In Taoism it is the music of the spheres, Winn writes about it.

You know what else is great about it? It turns the shower into completely sacred space. The echoes and reverb against the tiled wall. The flow of hot or icy cold water flowing over your head. Its amazing and its right in our homes.

If you're interested in the Jewish practice, Sounds True has a book/cd called Ecstatic Kabbalah which I love. John Stevens wrote a good book (among many great books of his) on Kotodama as done by the mystic Founder of Aikido. Its probably somewhere in every tradition.

Michael

Hans Jenny produced patterns on a resonating plate which consistantly conincided w/ sankrit vowel sounds including "om" the hindu/yogic concept of the sound of the universe.

Hanso also wrote about the "tri-une" nature of these visable patterns which remain invisable without the use of special equipment. He documented these is his book "Cymatics" of which we can find some photos of shortly. Beautiful mandalas. As sacred as any temple including the body. (my opinion inserted) What Mr. Jenny had felt he had uncovered was an irrefutable order and frequency spectrum which was as beautiful of a pattern language visably, as it is to the ear when sound is organized into music. Music as a language is a interesting route; frequency modulation and "tuning" perhaps one the chi gung practitioner experiment with. Toning next to anything resonated produces harmonics you can feel when your still and surfing the tao of your voice. The most soothing thing is toning after a long wei dan, it resonates the circulation deep into your core, w/ all it's different shapes.

I believe Jenny noted the most significant geometric distinctions with the sanksrit vowel sounds.

Interesting topic.

Spectrum

If you're interested in the Jewish practice, Sounds True has a book/cd called Ecstatic Kabbalah which I love.

Thanks, will be checking that out..

T

..holy languages and there is special meaning in the sounds and the shapes of the letters.
I've taken up the mani mantra (Kuan Yin's mantra) and I find that the syllables activate the centers in a very pure way (refines and subdues mundane energies). I wanted more focus with the practice, so I took up learning to write the syllables of the mantra, and visualizing them in the corresponding centers. .. At least, as I felt them, because I've not seen a classical reference to the way that I'm using the mani mantra. Usually I've seen the mantra horizontally, and I manipulated a pic to horizontal (see below). The Tibetans visualize "seed syllables" of the centers as a method for stabalizing attention, for concentration (they visualize them small, and clearly), and for the relationship of the the syllables to the "root" sound of the centers, and also to invoke the relationship to the deity whose sacred sound configuration is that mantra.

I find that the four "words" of the mantra activate and blend the centers sequentially, from top to bottom. The shapes, ime, are evocative of the energy dynamics that occur.

OmManiPemeHungVerticle.GIF

I've been told that in sanscrit at one time the word and the object were the same.

So if you pronounced fire correctly that what you got. Instantly.

Same for Hebrew.

I used to chant in sanscrit- it was very powerful.

Listening to Brahman priests chanting at a fire ceremony could blow you away.

We know words and thoughts manifest what we want in our lives only now it's a bit watered down

Takes a while but we do get what we wish for.

Sign in to follow this