Aaron

Trolling and Off-topic disruptions

Trolling and Off-topic dispruptions  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Should TTB enforce a policy against trolling and off-topic comments meant to disrupt topics?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have no opinion regarding this.

Lately the number of off-topic disruptions and trolling occurring in various threads has become very disruptive. Most of these disruptions can be linked to a few members who seem to feel that there is no need to stay on topic. Now I'm not referring to the odd humorous post, but rather those people who seem to feel it necessary to push their own personal philosophical and ideological agendas, rather than remain on topic. With that in mind I wanted to hear what other people thought about this and what they might recommend regarding TTB's treatment of these incidents.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1

IMMHO I don't think they were off-topic disruptions. I believe they were legitimate scholastic challenges. It was nice to hear some decent comments from a scholastic point of view. I rather hear some educational questions more than some uneducated four letter word remarks.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

I am an Anarchist. You really don't expect me to recommend that we have more government with more power, do you?

I hope I didn't go too far off topic here.

• Like 5

I am an Anarchist. You really don't expect me to recommend that we have more government with more power, do you?

Let's put Aaron in charge :)

He seems like a nice friendly libertarian :)

Yes, as long the odds of Wu Wei is not against you.

Edited by ChiDragon

I voted yes. I'm pro-freedom, but not when someone is deliberately trolling or always taking things off topic.

Ideally, the moderator warning should always happen quickly...before any action is taken.

• Like 1

i think it is a great idea, mostly in regards to trolling. i think if someone wants to post some off topic philosphical stuff it would be more free if they were allowed to, BUT if someone disagrees they could have one post to publically disagree, and if the discussion needs to continue it could be another thread.

So create side threads for arguments and clean up off topic posts. i'm for post deletions and warnings for off topic, bans for trolling. i'm voting yes but by voting yes, i am voting for my description in this post

i don't think it will help the general attitude of some, but i think it will make the board more readable. really don't like digging through peoples pettyness to get information in threads...

Do you still want to have me banned Aaron?

You'll remember that a while ago you predicted that I'd be3 banned within two weeks?

How long ago was that Aaron? :)

OOPS!!

I forgot Aaron. :)

You said that I was on your "Ignore List"

That's really the right thing for big boys (and girls) to do if they don't want to play with trolls - isn't it? :)

• Like 1

hahaha Gatito

Is this thread trolling?

pretty un-taoist really...

un taoist...hahaha

hmm

Maybe I should ban myself? :ph34r:

Edited by gatito

I didn't think you were into Buddhism?

Mrs G is a Buddhist - and I really do love Mrs G

(Neatly side-stepped - I trust you'll agree :D )

• Like 1

hmmmmmmmmmmm

what would be a good pun for this thread...

hmmmmmmmmmmm

And you'd be right behind MH and me :)

As long as people are polite and leave the rudeness, arrogance, and taunting behind, I really don't care where a thread goes.

Very mature :)

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure there already is a policy against intentionally going off topic. Who's to decide what's off topic really..

Some things seem off topic to one person who wants the discussion to go in a certain direction without considering things about it which are important to other people. The reason TTB is not a ghost town is because people can say whatever they think needs to be said so long as it is relevant and not abusive.

I think the mods are doing and a good job of moderating moderately whilst still moderating. They could maybe turn it up from a 1/10 to a 2/10, but the rules being requested are already there tmk.

• Like 5

The best trolls are the ones that accuse other people of trolling..whilst trolling.

I'm not sure that they're "the best" but they certainly come close the top of my list of undesirables :)

However, I think that free speech is important and there's an ignore facility on TTB plus I think that there are enough and sufficient rules to deal with problems of this sort already.

Some people just don't like others opinions etc and seek to suppress them.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure there already is a policy against intentionally going off topic. Who's to decide what's off topic really..

Some things seem off topic to one person who wants the discussion to go in a certain direction without considering things about it which are important to other people. The reason TTB is not a ghost town is because people can say whatever they think needs to be said so long as it is relevant and not abusive.

I think the mods are doing and a good job of moderating moderately whilst still moderating. They could maybe turn it up from a 1/10 to a 2/10, but the rules being requested are already there tmk.

Exactly!!!

• Like 1

Lately the number of off-topic disruptions and trolling occurring in various threads has become very disruptive. Most of these disruptions can be linked to a few members who seem to feel that there is no need to stay on topic. Now I'm not referring to the odd humorous post, but rather those people who seem to feel it necessary to push their own personal philosophical and ideological agendas, rather than remain on topic. With that in mind I wanted to hear what other people thought about this and what they might recommend regarding TTB's treatment of these incidents.

Aaron

Real easy solution, split the thread so offtopic discussion can continue.

• Like 1

Is Aaron trolling for consensus, again?!! Wait… do i even know what trolling is?

What's trolling? Do i do it? If so, do i do it guuud?

• Like 3

Aaron

From my point of view, I'm seldom, if ever, off-topic. Thus, what is off-topic? For most is rather subjective (from a 2 year old skill set). To me, all juvie comments, potty humor, and responses devoid of any meaningful contribution to the topic, are off-topic. From my estimate, those account for some 40% of the General Discussion forum.

• Like 2