Sign in to follow this  
Cheshire Cat

The Power of Kiai

The body is approximately 70% water.

An expression of kiai causes ripples in this water, which stills the opponent’s energy.

It’s an instantaneous release of great power.

The Chinese concept of Qi is ambiguous. Kiai as used by the Japanese is an actual force; it’s more concrete.

What do you think? :P

• Like 1

A little cheesy, particularly the repeated camera effect of waves. I hate it when they use camera effects of photo shop to circle people in light or in this case wave effect.

Unlike Karate which uses a loud shout with the blow to focus strength, in Ki-Aikido we'd use kiai's to startle and distract the opponent before the strike which I believe is in following many sword traditions. I loved kiai training. There were stories like the man said of people knocking down birds in mid-air, they may be urban legends or an example of faint hearted birds.

There was a story of O'Sensei when he older. He was being audio miked for large demonstration. He said somethink like 'what is this thing for?' and it was carried through the sound system and people in the audience looked at him like..he was old doddering 70 year old. So he ki-aied at them. From 40 feet away and the entire crowd moved back stunned.

A kiai is practical training. There was short cut through an alley to get to my first 'not in a great neighborhood' apartment. When taking the short cut I'd be ready with a kiai as if were a stun gun, ready to use. Its not going to knock anyone out, but a real kiai from silence is stunning. Its not just loud there is a focused ferocity to it. To me it feels like throwing a knife.

There are certain oft practice kiai sounds, but really any word can be used to transmit the energy, and No done with a kiai is very powerful.

• Like 3

True, the general idea is the kiai is followed by a quick sword stroke or running away. Its not a stand on its own kind of technique.

& I see minute 6 was edited out, where the winner comes over, talks smack to the fallen master then gets his head blown off by a mighty blast of ki-ai. Blood everywhere, covering the first two rows. So much for Mr. Nice Guy.

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 2

& I see minute 6 was edited out, where the winner comes over, talks smack to the fallen master then gets his head blown off by a mighty blast of ki-ai. Blood everywhere, covering the first two rows. So much for Mr. Nice Guy.

Really? I don't believe it.

Maybe if you don't agree with their paradigm, they cease to have any special powers over you.

Really? I don't believe it.

Then you are wise. It was a joking add on :), my bad.

Here's a non joking one. In old recordings O'Sensei's kiai's sounded high pitched and bird like! <Bruce Lee also had an unusual birdlike kaia, at least in an early film> O'Sensei traveled to China in his mispent youth with a charismatic Guru Onisaburo who wanted to create a utopian city, he was given the name Bodyguard of the Gods. The Chinese disagreed, the group was captured at gunpoint, sentenced to death, saved by Japanese ambassador. Later in Japan the Guru would be outlawed and his followers arrested. O'Sensei hid in the Chief of Police's house til the matter died down.

a quick autobiography http://www.aikidoofgainesville.com/O%27Sensei-Morihei-Ueshiba.html

Edited by thelerner

There was seriously such a dramatic difference in the level of power he had in a real fight. I dont understand how his students get tossed around so easily

Quickly followed by this reality check: http://youtu.be/Wd7M4H0b62k
Edited by MooNiNite

There was seriously such a dramatic difference in the level of power he had in a real fight. I dont understand how his students get tossed around so easily

Because his students were letting him do it, whether consciously or sub-consciously

• Like 1

I believe it. I have seen the whole mind body and kick arse moves series, you should watch it it's very cool.

The guy can ding a huge bell with his kiai from a decent distance away. Not sure if that was in ur clip i didn't watch it but i have seen it in the series. I knew the quote straight away haha.

Sign in to follow this