SEEKER OF TRUTH

WHAT IS THE TRUTH?

Hi there.

I guess this is something that I've been curious about since I was a kid and often wonder what other people think about it.

Why are we here? Where did we come from? Are we just products of evolution, or is there more to it than that?

There seem to be some mysterious things, in the history of humanity, on planet Earth, like the Pyramids and Sphinx in Egypt and Mexico, or that place in Bolivia, I think it was, that is supposed to be 30,000 years or older and we still don't have the technology today, to make the cuts in stone that were done so long ago.

Not to put the Bible down, but according to it, this planet isn't very old and those dinosaur bones are sure suspicious to me.

What about the Bhagavad Gita and what appears to be a war in the sky? Many things seem to have been explained away, so as not to cause a disturbance, but I can't help but wonder never the less. Anyway, just wondering what others were curious about and if anyone knows the truth. ;)

Read 'The Attention Revolution' by Alan Wallace, and get started on the path to direct experience! Bill Bodri is also good, there's a link to his site in my signature.

Aside from that, think deeply from every angle before coming to conclusions, question your deepest assumptions... and in this internet age, be strongly on guard against pseudoscience and rumours passed off as fact.

As for what the truth is, I suggest looking into anatman, sunyata and dialectical monism as food for thought.

Edited by Seeker of the Self

my theory is that there is no great truth, but spirituality is the search for the direct experience of that. So it isn't a matter of "nothing to do, already enlightened" because you haven't fully realized and experienced it for yourself just by being told

just my opinion

Hi there.

I guess this is something that I've been curious about since I was a kid and often wonder what other people think about it.

Why are we here? Where did we come from? Are we just products of evolution, or is there more to it than that?

I'll share the following truth, but it is up to you to realize it,...you will never understand Who you are, until you are aware of When you are. Here's a hint,..."all matter is frozen or slowed down light" David Bohm

According to Buddhism, truth is something that will always be unrealized within the 6 senses. The 6 senses can only perceive motion,..."Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are a part of the mystery that we are trying to solve." Max Planck

There is one fellow around that guarentees Truth Realization in 2 years,...if you follow his simple, single instruction;

That "simple, single instruction" can be found within here:

..."all matter is frozen or slowed down light" David Bohm

I call this the 'condensed milk analogy'.

The questions are more important than the answers.

The truth is what you make it.

The journey and the destination are one.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

Best wishes.

I like this. I also like- we are the result of a long line of perfectly timed accidents :). Cause if I tell you the truth is you're the result of an alien hybrid experiment 120,000 years ago does it really effect you? Or you're a cross breed of angels and demons, will you live life differently? bad day at the condom factory. Would you even believe me? Unless you see me conversing in public with said alien or demon I hope you'd have some level of skepticism.

Why are we here? Don't know. I suspect its not necessarily a grandiose answer and that we need to live our lives in a way that answers the question cause words won't do it.

Pyrrhonists believe that true wisdom and happiness lie in the suspension of judgement, since absolute knowledge is impossible to gain.

Truth is subjective, and that's the truth.

The Truth that can be told is not the eternal Truth

(FFS!!!! - I thought that you were all Taoists here!!! :rolleyes: )

The Truth that can be told is not the eternal Truth

(FFS!!!! - I thought that you were all Taoists here!!! :rolleyes: )

Hey! We are looking for the other Truth, the one that can be told. Hehehe.

• Like 1

You'd be the first one out of here if Aaron gets his way.

Wait................is it too late to change my vote?

Not necessarily, I wouldn't mind if a few people took a stab at the one that can't be told. I'm starting to feel my oats in abstract thinking. It's funny, every time I see that verse, after watching the movie "A Few Good Men", I get this picture in my mind of Jack Nicholson screaming "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH." Old Jack might be right, but I'm willing to give it a try anyway. :)

Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

• Like 1

You'd be the first one out of here if Aaron gets his way.

Wait................is it too late to change my vote?

Hehehe. Yeah, your ass is right behind mine.

Not necessarily, I wouldn't mind if a few people took a stab at the one that can't be told. I'm starting to feel my oats in abstract thinking. It's funny, every time I see that verse, after watching the movie "A Few Good Men", I get this picture in my mind of Jack Nicholson screaming "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH." Old Jack might be right, but I'm willing to give it a try anyway. :)

Thanks for all the great responses everyone.

Get over to the Vedanta forum - Cheeky_Boy is always willing to help out :)

Hehehe. Yeah, your ass is right behind mine.

Yeah!!!! :D

Go back and have a look - it won't be long now!!!! :ninja:

Not necessarily, I wouldn't mind if a few people took a stab at the one that can't be told.

That's easy. The reason that the Truth cannot be told (spoken of) is that there are none (Absolute Truth). Buddhists handle this rather well with their concept of impermanence (as I understand it).

That's easy. The reason that the Truth cannot be told (spoken of) is that there are none (Absolute Truth). Buddhists handle this rather well with their concept of impermanence (as I understand it).

<pulls up chair - waits for the Buddhism v Taoism WW3 to kick-off :) >

Best wishes.

Relative truth is what you make it,...

"Relative and absolute,

These the two truths are declared to be.

The absolute is not within the reach of intellect,

For the intellect is grounded in the relative."

Shantideva

The answer lies in the dissolution of the question.

What is true now that has always been true?

Sure,...but who has been to the Now,...the instant,...to observe the truth? Until one lets go of the attachment to the 6 senses (which can only observe the past), to say the truth is within the Now is merely a belief.