Sign in to follow this  
Meridian_Man

Introduction

Hello All.

I've considered joining a Taoist community for some time. It seems that in the United States there aren't many like minded individuals walking around that you can bounce ideas off of.

Finding this message board is very encouraging for me.

I'll give you a quick run down on how I came to Taoism. Like most other Americans I was raised in the Christian church. Unfortunately, I always seemed at odds. I won't go into details because I'm pretty sure most of you know what I'm talking about here. But it is as Alan Watts said in the way of Zen. [paraphrasing here] When social dogma is interwoven with religion something terrible happens when a man finds himself at odds with the dogma. He can either deny his nature or question the root of his existence. As if teenage years weren't hard enough. Well, I'm in my 30's now and I can honestly say that I'm still not really past it.

Somewhere along the line a man that I studied art under took mercy on me. I was given a copy of 'The Tao of Pooh' when I was a teenager. I suppose it planted a seed. For the first time I found something that made sense. Something that nobody had to convince me of.

I do not talk to my family about it much. I've largely been ostracized. My sister actively shielded me from her children for 20 years. I do not even know my nieces and nephews. And my wife is also extremely frustrated. Again, I do not talk to her much about it.

She knows that I use the book of changes and occasionally asks me about it. She knows that I make life decisions based on my beliefs.

Long have I tried to consolidate my faith with my upbringing but it seems no use. I thought here, perhaps, I could find some encouragement. Maybe others struggle with the same thing. I honestly don't know.

I feel like I've made some inroads recently. I am admitting to myself more and more what I am and slowly casting off fear. That's not easy because I was raised of a healthy diet of three square meals of fear every day.

Now I'm in Qigong classes and I'm very optimistic. My master studied for 3 years in a hermitage in the mountains of China. I'm very pleased to have found someone with such a breadth of knowledge.

If you actually read all of that I respect you highly.

• Like 2

Hello All.

I've considered joining a Taoist community for some time. It seems that in the United States there aren't many like minded individuals walking around that you can bounce ideas off of.

Welcome Meridian_Man!

I think (or fear) anywhere outside of Asia, Taoism is not well known. But that's what I like! So we know that we learn the true spirit of the Tao. And not a misunderstanding, counterfeit western-version of it. (As it is in some other Asian ways of life!) But that's just my opinion of it. ;-)

My master studied for 3 years in a hermitage in the mountains of China. I'm very pleased to have found someone with such a breadth of knowledge.

Wow! That makes me a bit jealous, I must admit. It has long been my desire to have a master, from whom I can learn directly. I am proud that you have someone like that, a direct teacher. Hopefully I'll get that luck too. :-)

Best wishes and a good time here!

October.

• Like 1

I think (or fear) anywhere outside of Asia, Taoism is not well known. But that's what I like! So we know that we learn the true spirit of the Tao. And not a misunderstanding, counterfeit western-version of it. (As it is in some other Asian ways of life!) But that's just my opinion of it. ;-).

@October: That is an excellent point that I had not considered! Even when you are looking at books on Taoism and Zen on Amazon people are normally quick to call out Western misinterpretations in the comments section. It assures some level of quality control doesn't it? That is quite fortunate indeed.

Thank you for your insight.

Hello, Meridian. You seem to share a similar background to me - feeling outcast by family for not participating in their religion.

Taoism is wonderful and very simple. The healthiest thing you can do for yourself is start your path inward - continue to discover yourself and accept you for who you are. Everything becomes much easier after that.

What really changed my life was realizing that everyone and everything is born pure. Fear, shame, self-consciousness, anxiety - that's all taught to us by our parents and peers. It's not who we are. Taoism to me is about going back to that infant stage of purity, where you do things because they make you happy and not because you think others expect you to. You don't watch certain shows, or listen to certain bands, or wear certain clothes in hopes of being accepted by others. You don't refrain from doing something because you think someone will ridicule you. You do not allow the past to control your future nor do you allow the "what if" question to keep you from making decisions. Yesterday is gone, tomorrow never comes, now is all that matters.

I've only just begun my journey as well. I came here last week to chat with the like minded. Welcome aboard and happy travels.

• Like 2

@Colorado: It's interesting the comment you make on letting go of what others think. Apparently I've done so for such a long time that I don't even know that I'm doing it anymore. I had a friend tell me last year that I obviously quit caring what others think a long long time ago. I hadn't even thought about it.

I suppose since this is an anonymous forum this can't be taken as boasting. I do not mean for it to come over as such so please don't take it the wrong way I'm just trying to give some perspective. I'm 33 and pull down 85 grand a year as a software engineer so I keep my family fairly comfortable. But I also used to work a second job. I entertained children by twisting balloons and performing magic. The only reason that I don't do it right now is that I'm trying to spend more time with my family and self development.

Anyhoo. The point is that I would often have people make sideways comments about me. One time I even had a guy post on twitter that I made his life seem less pathetic. Why? Because I made kids happy by twisting balloons in a steakhouse? Sure the money wasn't bad. I averaged 20 to 30 an hour doing balloons and made as much as 100 per hour on private and corporate events. But I didn't have to have the money. I was already doing fine in industry. Really, I learned a lot working with kids and I enjoyed being childish.

Thanks for your insight!

Edited by Meridian_Man

Well the Twitter comment obviously came from someone who needs to feel better by belittling others.

Working with kids is great for reminding us what it was once like to be a child. Everything is fun and exiting when you're a kid. My girlfriend has an 8 year old son who is also autistic, so I experience the joys of having children around but I also experience something else I can't quite put into words. I have tremendous insight into the way the mind works watching him interact with people and play games. Living with someone with a spectrum disorder helps me to see that all of us have some degree of spectrum weirdness. We all have quirks and flaws and we need to be more accepting of everyone else's, including our own.

I've always wanted to make balloon animals, too. What a fun gig!

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this