Mal

Juice: Radical Taiji Energetics

Start a new thread, lets share some examples of exceptional skill. I still find it unbelievable though that anyone would have difficulty finding them, even on the English sites like youtube, much less the treasures in the Chinese sites. It's honestly about as silly as claiming to do Tai Chi while pissing on the classics.

You first. You're the one claiming that you can recognize exceptional skill. I'd like to see an example of something your keen eye approves.

No keen eye, just looking at the obvious, same as the previous poster who was/is a competition judge. There are some interesting discussions about this Scott Meridith character on the internet. It's quite clear that others with a strong background in Tai Chi or other internal arts tend to see the same issues.

Among the discussions was an absolutely wonderful point brought up by Scott Phillips who actually pushed hands with him and wrote a good follow up on the exchange. We can all learn from his comment. Basically he said that when people tell you things that you are doing incorrectly, that instead of getting defensive (like Meridith) it's far wiser to be thankful. These people have taken time out their busy lives to focus on you and your improvement. They are not enemies, but rather a potential source of insight. It helps to have another set of eyes or three. It's a great great example of real Tai Chi. Not immediately fighting back with a defensive response or attack, but welcoming and absorbing - redirecting - neutralizing and ideally LEARNING from the perspective of another set of eyes.

So I stress that my eyes are not keen. I have simply been told all these same things by many many teachers again and again and shown the reasons why. I'm a practical person, once I've been shown the reason why there's a better way to do something I understand and accept it. Chen Man Ching used the now famous phrase of "invest in loss" and in my opinion it's pure gold. Don't fight it, matter of fact invest in loss, it's the quick path to mastery in anything. I used this same philosophy to become a great bump skiier in record time. I crashed more in any given two weeks than most people crash their whole lives. A ton of wisdom in the "invest in loss" strategy. Push hands is a training exercise, not a competition or something we should try to win. Same attitude should apply to any critique of our Tai Chi.

I honestly don't have the desire or time to look up videos for you. It's obvious that you are not sincere and my time would be wasted. If you wish to do your own research then go right ahead. There are so many great masters that not only display high levels of internal skill but who also maintain their structure and adherence to internal principles.

Some of the most obvious would be:

Wang Chieh and his students such as Mike Martello (both deceased sadly enough) and the great folks continuing the tradition here in Taiwan. (I'm a bit biased though :P ) and of course his son Huai hsiang wang

Huang Shen Shyan and his students, most notably Adam Mitzner , one of his latest vids showing "Kao Jin" is quite enjoyable, not sure if it is public though. The guy has some insane internal power and knows how to use it, once again without breaking structure.

Seems like heck of a nice guy, and some skills to boot is Ian Sinclair, once again adhering to the principles, never met him, but he's on my list..

If you like Chen, also many great masters, Bian Zhi Qin, chen zhong wa, chen yu and of course the ever popular Chen xiao wang (he doesn't impress me too much, especially after his silly muscle builder/sumo stunt, but he does clearly have some skills and is the most famous)

Sam chin and other I liq quan guys, or some of the I-quan guys, mad internal skills

The old classics such as Shi Ming, Ma yueh liang, Fu Zong Wen, Wang pei sheng, etc..... tons of them literally, not hard to find

This is not too mention the many many unknown masters. Westerners are caught up in big names, but the truth is you're often better off with one of the countless "hidden dragons" that are quietly doing their thing and couldn't care less about self promotion, fame, or in many cases even money. Some of my best teachers were free, or very close to being free. They teach and share the art with dedicated people because of a deep love for the art, not for any desire for money or fame. This group I sometimes train with in the park across the street, I swear the "fees" cannot possibly cover all the kung fu pants and shirts they keep giving me. It's like freer than free, it's really crazy.

• Like 2

This is not too mention the many many unknown masters. Westerners are caught up in big names, but the truth is you're often better off with one of the countless "hidden dragons" that are quietly doing their thing and couldn't care less about self promotion, fame, or in many cases even money.

It is indeed true about the "countless hidden dragons".

I had such a big grin when I read that passage

with raising my mood level.

These people have at times very odd ordinary

jobs which is enough to keep the minimum of life.

One is doing road construction and Tai Chi Master

and the other is shop assistent who is a second Dan

Karate who is very very different skilllevel than on the

official level in this time.

And in Qigong there are also high level people

hiding around, thought there were none where I live but

this is not true.... but all so still around it that one do not

know that there where any. :D

• Like 3

Are you referring to qigong/ima practitioners

who are of Asian decent? (Either born in Asia

or abroad.) Or, do you refer to western-born

non-Asians? (I say that, trying to be broader

than just asking if western-born Caucasians

are also "hiding.")

There is are also western born in hiding

and also caucasians in hiding

and those who come from Asia and learned

it there were different already than the

average martial artist.

Those who come here into the Dojo

find.... not so good standards

even for people who practise 30 years

their art and learned it directly from

their teacher in Asia.

One of the friends from my father

literaly swept the floor of the dojo master

in Italy 30 years ago.....and become the new dojo master

and it was a misunderstanding "of want

to train with" had become "challenge".

The former dojo master thought him being

a dojo destroyer.

Language barriers can lead to very complicate

situation ^_^

They have strong commitment to their

choosen art and only open their mouth they feel

worth their time. (And if one take them by suprise

and ask them in the right moment they

know the art they perform themselves ^_^ )

And worth their time is:

Strong commitment in something

even it is not even martial artist.

People who are doing.

Else consider other people as philister

and keep them in the dark about their art.

The shop assistent above told me about a

westerner he had met in his previous work

who had been passed down a traditional japanese

style, which arms was full of scars by exercising

with sharp weapons.

He saw that the movement at work of this person was

different and refined than people he saw and so he asked.

Martial Artist and body therapist people look much into

how people move and stand, because

they observe these things a lot.

It is also so that one attract people with related interest.

So I believe much in the words:

"When the students is ready, the teacher comes"

"Effort doesnt go unnoticed"

• Like 2

I've found a few, that simply don't teach. They don't have students, and they don't want students.

We all of course know the old Tao Te Ching quote--" Those who say, do not know. Those who know, do not say."

Once again, all quite the opposite of the ones who make vids resembling late night infomercials about how good they are, or do silly circus stunts like tying their arms at the elbow, push hands on the tip toes or on one leg to promote themselves.

For a good laugh check out his latest post, I feel embarrassed for the guy. No understanding of body mechanics.

Once you journey down the road of internal arts, you will find that you are doing life activities differently. For example, no experienced Tai Chi practitioners would ever try to push a car like he shows in his post, (or punch like a boxer throwing a haymaker) nor would they turn a door knob or loosen the lug nuts on a wheel without already having dropped the shoulder and elbow. Long term training in Tai Chi makes everything you do more eficient and effortless. One day you might notice that you don't even walk the same way, or brush your teeth, etc.... This is when one has entered the door of Tai Chi.

Sadly, for folks like our friend merideth, it will never happen because as was pointed out before, he will always be right. No ability to learn from other's observations. Once a person knows it all, learning has stopped. The cup is already full.

A great master is not one who knows it all, but rather one who learns from everything, in every moment. One who empties his cup with every breath and is sensitive and open to the constant flow.

A few minutes of simply being open enough to try the exercise with the wall would have saved him from making such a fool of himself with that last post. Experience things for yourself, no need to believe anything that anyone says. It's quite a clear and obvious exercise, if the structure is correct, all force is neutralized and also generated from the ground. The opponent is literally running into the ground, a vertical representation of the ground. Nothing need be done to make this ground stronger, we only need to become a conduit, a pathway. We can just let go, relax, and hang out.

So Cheya are you Merideth?

Interesting how the whole post was changed and expanded, I guess I should expect nothing less, and then we of course get another link posted by cheya.

Missing the whole point. Big big difference between follow through, and twisting lateral engergy. It's quite obvious in all the new photos he/you posted that they fall into one of these two categories. Bruce Frantzis? This is who he looks up to for internal skill? Keep digging the hole, this is getting entertaining.

Once again, a simple visit to the wall, or a steady push hands partner will speak much louder than words ever will. It only takes a few moments to experience this for yourself.

Be a real man, come post replies here instead of this underhanded way of scamming links to your site. It is kind of entertaining though, watching you make such a fool of yourself on your site.

The most ironic thing of all, is that I was considering giving the book a read until I came to this thread and saw the embarrassing videos. Then as you keep revealing more and more of your ignorance on the matter and your completely closed mind I'm very thankful I didn't waste my time and money.

Stick with the true proven lineages folks. This has been a fine example of what happens when a lot of arrogance, some marketing, and little bit of skill go terribly wrong as some westerner thinks he can re-invent Tai Chi and that everyone before him had it wrong.

Hey JBH

You told people to go to Scott's blog for a laugh, but forgot to supply the link!

What's REALLY funny about your question, "So Cheya are you Merideth?" is that, just this morning, I started to wonder the same thing about you! Your posts are such a perfect foil for the message he wants to get out! I just checked when you joined (Jan 2013), and you actually COULD be Meredith! I've been around since April 2007, and you and I BOTH know Meredith wouldn't/couldn't keep quiet about his stuff for 6 years! I'da been outed long ago.

But thanks for quickly jumping off the "my vid vs. your vid" wagon train and getting back into the deeper issue of structure's relationship to internal energy. Or something like that. Like I said, I don't even play tai chi, so what do I know! I'm just a chi junkie, and Scott's stuff *does* go there.

If Mr. Meredith cannot maintain his root, his connection to the ground, a simple and beginning entry into 'internal skills, while demonstrating his 'internal skill', scrutiny should be expected.

TzuJanLi,

It's amazing that we have a professional push hands judge available to comment on these videos. Thanks for being a part of the discussion!

What, specifically, do you see that indicates he is lacking internal skill? Would you say that Meredith's rear heel lifting was one of the main indicators to you that he is losing his connection, or was it something else?

The connection to the ground is not something to be brushed over or dismissed as unimportant.

For those without good foundation training in Tai Chi or other internal arts you can try a little experiment and understand this through your own experience:

Walk up to a solid wall and face it in the same stance he is using. Get close to the wall.

Use both hands and "an" or push into the wall. Notice how you can relax and "root" the rebounding force (Newtons third law) down through your rear heal.

Now lift your rear heel and push. No power, no effortless rooting of the rebounding force. When pushing forward, the rear heel needs to have a strong connection to the ground.

After you play with that a little bit, and learn how to relax into it you can start to feel the rebounding force literally grounding out through the rear foot with no physical effort required.

Now lean forward and over extend a bit while sticking you butt out. No need for an explanation, you will feel for yourself why and how this is wrong.

JustBHappy,

Walls don't move, I'm not sure this exercise really demonstrates what you seem to be saying. You seem to be saying that, no matter the circumstances, no one should ever, ever, EVER lift their back heel when pushing. Maybe it's a matter of optimal structure for root. I could see where the root usually feel strong with both heels down. I don't think that means that you lifting the back heel is an automatic indicator that someone has lost their root. I can still feel pretty damn solid on one leg.

I could probably push you through your brick wall while weighted on one leg, but that is neither here nor there. :ninja::lol:B):rolleyes:

From what I understand he was saying he will post another marketing vid of him on his tip toes, or standing on one leg etc..... Absolutely no use trying to post vids and compare this nonsense to real Tai Chi. It's all just marketing and sales gimmicks and tricks.

01-300x225.jpgHuh?

This is silly, posting real Tai Chi masters to be compared against someone who does push hands on his tip toes, or on one leg as cheap marketing stunts.

PacificStreetMartialArts2000DVD02ChengMaWhat?

No keen eye, just looking at the obvious, same as the previous poster who was/is a competition judge. There are some interesting discussions about this Scott Meridith character on the internet. It's quite clear that others with a strong background in Tai Chi or other internal arts tend to see the same issues.

This is not too mention the many many unknown masters. Westerners are caught up in big names, but the truth is you're often better off with one of the countless "hidden dragons" that are quietly doing their thing and couldn't care less about self promotion, fame, or in many cases even money. Some of my best teachers were free, or very close to being free. They teach and share the art with dedicated people because of a deep love for the art, not for any desire for money or fame. This group I sometimes train with in the park across the street, I swear the "fees" cannot possibly cover all the kung fu pants and shirts they keep giving me. It's like freer than free, it's really crazy.

You're totally right about the unknown masters. Just because someone wrote a book, doesn't mean they are anything special. His book is good though. I really enjoyed it, and I would enjoy taking a seminar with him. Luckily, though, I have my own 'hidden dragon' just a few blocks from home who is one of the most powerful practitioners I've ever met. He's also a really nice guy with a childlike enthusiasm about practicing internal arts.

The thing I think my Sifu and Scott Meredith have in common is that they make tai chi practice fun. Meredith's book is FUN. The criticisms I've seen about him in this thread have struck me as being the peevish objections of stuffy old curmudgeons.

A few minutes of simply being open enough to try the exercise with the wall would have saved him from making such a fool of himself with that last post. Experience things for yourself, no need to believe anything that anyone says. It's quite a clear and obvious exercise, if the structure is correct, all force is neutralized and also generated from the ground. The opponent is literally running into the ground, a vertical representation of the ground. Nothing need be done to make this ground stronger, we only need to become a conduit, a pathway. We can just let go, relax, and hang out.

The wall will save us all. :rolleyes:

I do agree, though, that you have to feel push hands for yourself to understand it and I must concede that my own push technique feels better when I have both feet firmly on the ground. I can push off the back heel, but it doesn't feel nearly as strong as shifting my entire body forward. My heel is never more than a few centimeters off the ground.

I feel like, when I push lately, it feels more like a xing yi movement than tai chi, though. Just sayin . . .

I also practice some kickboxing style exercises, and those feel completely different. I often feel like I'm 'on my toes' when doing those exercises.

Ultimately, like all things of this nature, I will have to take it up with my instructor tonight at our tai chi class. He get's the final say in all matters tai chi, so far as I'm concerned.

I suspect my instructor will tell me something similar to what Meredith said in his recent blog post:

Push hands is a mere exercise that applies some artificial limits as training aids, and that's ok, but where we can get more real and loosen up a little while still working toward the real objective of Tai Chi (application of jing energy as discussed below) let's not take the petty fetishism to the point of unnecessarily cramping ourselves.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I have met cheya and can say with certainty that she is not Scott Meridith.

Of course, that proves nothing because perhaps I am Scott Meridith but that's a whole new topic...

;)

• Like 5

I've found a few, that simply don't teach. They don't have students, and they don't want students.

We all of course know the old Tao Te Ching quote--" Those who say, do not know. Those who know, do not say."

Yes, this is remind of something :

"I am still learning, what can I teach you?"

They take the humble beginners mind too

serious.... :D.

Actually there are four constellation where

they accept one as student by such person:

"In dept" and the third person recommendation

or odd signs, hard work but no sucess.

In dept is when you are friends with this person

and help this one a lot without asking and pull

this person out of trouble when help is needed

and you dont know that this person is cultivating an art,

he may share for health something and see

what this person do with it.

The third person recommendation is someone

who is run around in the society for a long time

and hold not much skill but know the person

who can be teacher and the one who wants

to be student and are welcomed by both side

and hold a degree of trust.

Actually it is like in company:

If one go and ask to raise ones earning

one have to fight a lot with arguments

and begging.

But if a person like the secretary of the boss

says that this person does this and this

there may be an unexpected raise then.

Odd signs.... welll that is a bit esoteric

like dreaming about this person

and run into this person very often.

Hard work no sucess is when one actually

learn and practise the same art but seem

to be clumsy and all effort seem go to waste,

its difficult to bear by someone who is near

but hides (their thought: No..., this could...argg,

why you... <_<)

Also you are right Bhappy,

a defensive state doesnt have

an open heart to see beyond

ones own cup, since one fear

to spill the content.

When one get an adivice it

is already like a test for ableness

and readiness to learn.

The reaction on the advice

one gives in daily life

already visible and known.

One do feel ackward

if the person refuse to listen

or try the adivice.

The next time one will

be not telling and adivice

because of this expirience.

For the arts this would lead

to an dead end of a chance

to have a teacher- student relationship.

"When we see persons of worth,

we should think of equaling them;

when we see persons of a contrary character,

we should turn inwards and examine ourselves." by Confucius

This is real good advice by good Confucius

dealing with people, on advice and information.

• Like 3

I like Juice.The hypothesis certainly makes more sense that using a bio-mechanical model.The Chinese were using gunpowder when we were still clubbing each other to death so it shows that some exceptional indivduals were capable of thinking outside of the box.I find it hard to believe that such individuals would arrive at a crude mechanical model that was less effective than their external arts.

What "Juice" has shown me is how much tension I have been carrying in my body.After a years practice,plus thirty odd years of prior practice in various arts,I have arrived at the point where "I" can do the key jangling exericse.I say "I" as it is a natural phenomenon that manifests once you reach a certain stage.it can't be trained,it has to be allowed to happen and the real key to it happening is relaxation.If anyone thinks that doing a form with the mind anchored at various locations in the body is easy then think again.its seriously hard work especially when you have to try and maintain an optimum level of relaxation.Once you get the hang of it it starts to feel good,kind of like an orgasm running through the entire body that goes on and on.Does it have any practical value in combat? Possibly for a few exceptional people who can take it to its highest level but that is true of most martial arts.Out of the tens of thousands who practice MMA only a very small percentage will ever fight in the UFC.

My only criticism of juice is that Scott went in at too higher a level.Its a bit like the Visuddimagga in that it starts at a place where most people never get to.It would have been good if he added some pointers to getting really relaxed.There are many ways of teaching people to be relaxed.In Systema the tension was beaten out of us and that is one of the quickest ways to learn how to relax but I realise that such methods are not for everyone.Perhaps people would benefit from holding the press-up position for 15 minutes and then doing their form?

As for having the rear heel planted on the floor,well take a look at this clip of a friend of mine teaching striking.He is a Wu style Taiji teacher and was also one of the hardest doormen in the UK with over 70 street KO's.He is also an academic who thinks deeply about what he does and if keeping the rear heel planted would have mean't a more functional technique he would have found it.Planting your rear foot in the ring makes some sense if you don't want to over extend with say a right cross but it dosen't mean to say its going to be more effective impact wise.When the heel is planted you loose the advantage of whole body momentum.Its a bit like putting the brakes on.

http://www.woma.tv/movies/3Q/street-fighting-techniques-1.html

Triggering an opponents tension is perfectly valid.Vladimir Vasiliev said he sees an opponents tension and hits it.That would explain why some of Vlads very short ineffective looking strikes have such a dramatic effect on the opponent.

Edited by Sunman
  • Like 3

Something fishy is happening in this thread...

Yeah, it's getting very fishy. Now we got the "2 post wonder" coming out of nowhere to join the fishiness. Can't find the first post, likely in the lobby, as introduction or something. So really this is his first post.

So Meredeth or Sunman or whatever your latest name is. Be a real man, come and openly discuss things on this site, or allow comments on your little ego platform that you call a blog.

I can see you still have no clue. How a person can write a book about Tai Chi and not understand the difference between a boxing hay maker twisting and curving strike versus the Tai Chi "an" is completely beyond me. I made it very clear what I was discussing, I even gave clear detailed directions for testing against a wall. I trust that even an untrained person can see that these are two different techniques, each requiring different body mechanics. It's also worth noting that there is no twisting haymaker in Tai Chi. The Tai Chi practitioner loves when someone comes at them with these kinds of over committed off balance attacks. It's like Christmas.

The other side of the equation is that, an experienced person would never do this himself or herself. Against a skilled opponent, even a slight over extension, slight over twist, slight anything is quickly taken advantage of. One is reminded and shown the error of their ways immediately, often in a painful way!

I do absolutely agree with having a focus on the internal aspects. As you can see from videos of Master Huang and Master Mizner in this thread, there is a lot more happening than structure and strength. You can easily see that the few that do have it, do not need to resort to shoving and overextending and breaking structure like we see in Meredith's videos. They have the internal power, and thus don't rely on external strength.

If one is paying attention though, it's also very very obvious that they have trained hard with correct structure and body mechanics and adhere to it as much as humanly possible. This nonsense about either internal power or external structure is once again completely missing the point. Tai Chi is not about separating body and mind, but rather about unifying it. We don't forget the wuji when we do Tai Chi.

Details matter, small things are huge things in Tai Chi. It's like traveling by boat across the ocean. Having the bearing off by even a few degrees will be the difference between being lost and arriving at your destination. People with experience in push hands know this to be absolutely true. In Tai Chi we don't need the big exaggerated movements to get things done, instead we focus on the small details so they become automatic, get our structure and mind in gear, and ALLOW the flow.

One can use strength and poor structure, fighters throughout time have done this with often decent results, but it's not Tai Chi. If you want instant results, train in boxing or Thai boxing. That last video in the bar, if a person trained only that technique, he would likely do well against most people of the same size or smaller......until he met a real master. Luckily for us, the real masters are uncommon, and usually have also attained a higher level of mind. They are simply not people that get into fights, go to bars, or have problems with people. It's very much like the Tao de Ching, we could almost say "those who can fight, do not fight." The good thing, is that some of them are open to teaching and pushing hands so others can learn the subtle often unseen details that make them great.

Edited by JustBHappy
  • Like 1

I am not Meredith and have never met him.I live in the UK and am a private student of Dave Martin who was a longtime disciple of Sun Jianyun.If you email the guy in the clip I posted he will confirm who I am.My first post was an introduction some time ago.I will reply to your post when I have a bit more time.

Edited by Sunman

The post looked fishy to me. I call them as I see them. You also talk about your experience training in Systema and refer to vladimar, yet make no mention of it in your interests, or when stating your experience. (a bit of a slip up) Meredith also claims to have trained with vladimar. First post, lots of similarity, so it led me to make the connection.

It was also strange that you seem to be pressing the same point by posting another example of a boxing haymaker, continuing this completely irrelevant argument.

If this site had mods, they could easily check up on the usernames and IP's. Hard for anyone else to really know, and of course IP's can be hacked by various means anyway.

If your not Meredith then I sincerely apologize and welcome you to the forum. :D

The post looked fishy to me. I call them as I see them. You also talk about your experience training in Systema and refer to vladimar, yet make no mention of it in your interests, or when stating your experience. (a bit of a slip up) Meredith also claims to have trained with vladimar. First post, lots of similarity, so it led me to make the connection.

It was also strange that you seem to be pressing the same point by posting another example of a boxing haymaker, continuing this completely irrelevant argument.

If this site had mods, they could easily check up on the usernames and IP's. Hard for anyone else to really know, and of course IP's can be hacked by various means anyway.

If your not Meredith then I sincerely apologize and welcome you to the forum. :D

My experience in Systema was mediocre,just a couple of years training with Systema UK,hence the reason I didn't mention it as one of my interests.I am training this afternoon but will reply to your points tonight when I have more time.

Apology accepted. :D

Edited by Sunman

Meredith is putting out a DVD, available in December:

JUICE Zhan Zhuang - The Radical Energetics Drill

"This will be a full length tutorial production teaching the exact specifics of the Zhan Zhuang (standing meditation for energy) practice of Zheng Manqing 37 Tai Chi. To my knowledge this has never been presented in any media ever before.

The book JUICE Radical Taiji Energetics is all about mindset, which is the absolute pre-requisite. For daily practice there is an optimal specific method that embodies and leverages this mindset..."

More details on his blog. You know the way... :-)

• Like 2

Meredith is putting out a DVD, available in December:

JUICE Zhan Zhuang - The Radical Energetics Drill

Thanks Cheya, something to go under the christmas tree :)

• Like 2

I went to Scott's workshop in SF yesterday. We were about fifteen participants in a small MA studio in Chinatown. We started by each of us pushing briefly with Scott. Then we worked on specific postures within Ben Lo's ZMQ form and using them for Zhan Zhuan to develop internal power. And yes structure is important in the training of the chi, energy. As the practitioner becomes sensitive to energy and to enhancing the consistency of the energy sensation and the depth and intensity of the chi feeling then structure becomes less important. After that we did more push hands with Scott and then with each other. The spirits were high and all in all we had a great time. It was short and to the point and showing how an efficient practice session need not be hours long to get very fruitful results.

• Like 6

And yes structure is important in the training of the chi, energy. As the practitioner becomes sensitive to energy and to enhancing the consistency of the energy sensation and the depth and intensity of the chi feeling THEN structure becomes less important.

Thanks for the report, I hope you enjoyed yourself :D

I thought the above was worth repeating.

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 2

http://cattanga.typepad.com/tabby_cat_gamespace/2013/12/index.html

Thank you all SF People!

I want to thank all the super cool 22 or so people who made it to the San Francisco Chinatown workshop venue. SUCH GREAT PEOPLE! So nice, highly skilled, incredibly perceptive questions, sharp and sweet all-and-only the kind of people one would like to be around always. I for one at least had a great time on the scene and I thank everybody who came out for it.

This seminar was a recapitulation of the already-filmed forthcoming DVD: Tai Chi PENG Surfing the Soft Wave. Everything identical except that I also did some pushing in the workshop, which is not covered on the DVD. The DVD is strictly and purely the Tai Chi version of Zhan Zhuang energy cultivation method, which occupied about 80% of the seminar. I wonder if I overdid the energy stuff at the expense of the pushing? I think i advertised more pushing and we did some but didn't real get as down and dirty as the workshop notice might have hinted. I wonder if anybody felt shortchanged? But they all seemed to be very happy with the workshop day ... hmm but one never knows.

Well, anyway just like everything else it is all water under the bridge and dust in the wind. In fact, I think maybe I am done with giving workshops. Because there's no need for it anymore, once the DVD is out. The DVD tells all. That's my whole message in a nutshell (if I may). Nothing really needs to be added to that. Sure a few bells and whistles but let's not get ourselves distracted by the dreaded feature creep syndrome. Stick to the core message! That's the DVD. Once the DVD appears people can make up their own minds and do their own work on it (or not) depending on how they think. Everybody can just make one of two choices, either:

1. That guy Meredith is an asshole and a nutcase.

or:

2. That guy Meredith is an asshole and a nutcase, but he's pointing at something real.

If it is Option 2 then the DVD gives you everything you need to work it alone. Why gild the lily with this in-person stuff? That said though, I am tempted to do one more event, just to correct the overdose of standing, posture, and energy work in the great just-past SF Chinatown event.

This final workshop would be a push-only thing. No talk about solo culitivation stuff at all. The attendess would ve strictly vetted to be people who have minimum over 1 year (hopefully much more) of solid work in a contact discipline, be it Tai Chi, Judo, Aikdo, Jiu Jitsu of any kind, wrestling and so on. The topic would still be Tai Chi, but focused on push hands with the idea of broadening the practice and principles, finding safe ways to practice free-style energy-based kuzushi.

That could be really fun, given the right venue and right people. I will call that workship:

SOFT-OVER-STRONG: Tai Chi Cool Touch Training

That event would truly be the last one, my absolute final swan song on the subject.

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 3

Scott's training video is finally available on Amazon, either as DVD or instant download. Tai Chi Peng: Surfing the Soft Wave.

51BMXwzvIpL._SX200_.jpg

"This tutorial video demonstrates and teaches the core energy training methods that allow realization of the experiences described in the book: JUICE Radical Taiji Energetics by Scott Meredith. The method is based on Zheng Manqing style Taijiquan but the tutorial assumes no prior knowledge of this system." Instant download is $9.99, DVD $12.95. He's certainly made it accessible!

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_13?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=tai+chi+peng+surfing+the+soft+wave&sprefix=Tai+Chi+Peng+%2Caps%2C2140&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atai+chi+peng+surfing+the+soft+wave

Note: the runtime on both versions is 2 hours 14 minutes.
Edited by cheya
  • Like 3