JustARandomPanda

Master Nan Huai-Chin Dead at 94

The article say that pneumonia was caused by the flu.

Master Nan said that when your Qi-channels are open to a certain degree, there's a great risk of wind invasion (flu, etc..).

Recently, I'm a bit skeptical to this specific statement of the Master...

• Like 1

The article say that pneumonia was caused by the flu.

Master Nan said that when your Qi-channels are open to a certain degree, there's a great risk of wind invasion (flu, etc..).

Recently, I'm a bit skeptical to this specific statement of the Master...

Yes, Qigong opens the orifices. It is always best to bundle up in the winter, and protect against spring and fall wind.

Summer be sure to dry yourself off from sweating, or risk wind heat invasion.

Just recently I was doing circle walking at 160 circulations, took about 45 minutes. It was in below zero weather, early in the morning. By the time I was done with the practice, I realized i was sweating. When i was walking to the bathroom to dry off, the cold temperature penetrated deep. Though I was warm as hell, steam radiating due to the differences in body and room temperature, cold is cold regardless, and once it mixes with sweat, it enters the pores and seeps deep into the body.

I was ill for 4 days with deep wind cold due to seating in below zero weather. Nice. hahaha No chills, only phlegm build up, white phlegm, no fever either. Stuffy nasal passages and internal cold.

Ginger and Brown sugar tea, along with loads of warm water kept it from changing into a heat sickness, which would have totally sucked. If it turned into heat, then bacteria would grow, and infection will manifest.

Meditation, along with the ginger and brown sugar, warm water, and sweating it out under the covers got it out. It went deep, thus took a few days to get out. It was like a breeze leaving the body when it went out.

Its just one example, but always cover up those orifices, and be sure to not sweat in extreme cold, and dry up at the first sign of liquid extraction...hahaha

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 5

Great that you can laugh about getting sick, Ai Wei. :) Thanks for the helpful feedback about wind invasion.

Really appreciate your contribution, having you back at TTB. _/\_

I was actually a bit happy! I had an excuse to stay in bed and read Sutras and meditated for almost a week. Totally in a warm place, while everywhere else outside was below 0.

Then we had a heater installed... hahahahahaha it was just a warm heaven.

• Like 2

The following are the last words of Mr. Huai, left from my Ti Reed: "The following is an open letter to the Huai published two years ago with the oral way, please let me invite you to come together to read, the party shows that he died and Sri Lanka illness also can not wash its hands of Seogwi? long letter, which is the old Buddhist compassion eager need of you carefully taste. "delegation to see the South Division" Gentlemen: January 22, 2010 letter, "Chan Seven law will Application Form received learned also did not consider themselves to carry forward. announce his South Division. the South division told his secretary Room ghostwriter reply as follows: "letters they read it to me after listening to Method everyone says to me, I did not think that his enlightenment enlightenment, Buddhism, there is no so-called gate, nor reap disciples decades are so all I know, the book is finished. yourselves reading this occurs insights yourselves be deceived. The so-called "in accordance with the law independently of people, according to the Yoshitsune Yoshitsune non-compliance can not fail to comply with language, according to justice, according to Chi failing to identify. "What is your problem to study the classics, and why we must find a cult of personality dependent? I am 92 years old, and have been very tired, not the spirit of entertainment so many people., The Taihu School is not religious groups do not advocate religion. in order to study the educational and cultural programs offered also not routine admissions. destined good friend and co-conditions, with research only. accidental destined to sit in the out involved what classes are themselves called I came here is also a pending order., your fiction story see what Brokeback method, the pupil showing reverence for his master, and there are not even meet on jumping into a river, there is about to jump Changgui can not afford This is not a threat? Where is the method, at reasonable way of doing things? Buddhists do not mean that? psychologically forced people to become a threat, and in self-deception I am a 92-year-old man, and you have to threaten people apprentice, seeking the correct path to it? you are all intellectuals, how to do such a thing? five, I never wanted to do masters do not want to Shoutu Di, no organization, no more so-called "South Gate" my life against the sects, itinerant gang of habit. sectarian, that is six, do you think that the worship of the teacher will be moral? would become a Buddha? person giving and receiving there Tantra? must Road? really baffling! keeps on seeking the law crossing sentient beings own thing are confused to start with the ordinary man to do things began to hone it to do a proper job, an honest man, honest work, not to make a scene, to be anti-introspection, hone the mental shift habits have merit foundation. Otherwise it becomes much work, live in a fantasy nada, nothing more. practice focus first change mental habits, attend anyone, is to assist the people of your self-reliance, an early self-conscious it as soon as possible. merit enough, they will develop wisdom. seven, you find me Buddhist monasticism, I am 92 years old, and have not found a true fairy True Buddha, Ye seek me what's the use? should not superstitious. those books I just scholarship only, "Do not be deceived, those book, "Analects" center. ye Xuechan, Yangzhou the high Min-Temple, Xi'an Wolong Temple, Fujian large Xuefeng Seven Day Zen in many temples in the repair meditation hall, how do you not go there? I did not carry forward the Zen so-called once a meditation classes, accidental opportunity, a university registered alumni book club organized by the University leadership recognized, everyone has strict eligibility inspection, turn with a few days . after the end of what? less than to go back to the ordinary way of doing things honestly, to hone the mental shift habits it? road course to find their own path. 求人不如求己! really believe in cause and necessary starting from their own indecent cardiac mindfulness is wise is also the practice core outward-looking eyes, complaining, idolatry, dependent on others, playing realm, are self-deception! a Gentlemen treasure! designed namely Chung Ping! Sincerely, Office of the Secretary Jichou twelfth lunar month January 24, 2010

googletranslate --

I'm 90 already, and I still haven't seen a real Buddha or immortal yet. Stop being superstitious.

The Buddha died too. All this talk of immortals that people are hoping and wishing for...

Haha but The Buddha once asked one of his students rather he should stay or not. He asked three times and then the time for answer passed and the Buddha chose to die.

A Buddha is a master of his own death and birth. Otherwise, he wouldn't be a Buddha.

Another take on this could be that, you are re-born everytime the 'I' thought arises.

1. I've read your letters. You guys want to learn from me. I've never said I was enlightened. I've never believed I was spreading Buddhism. Furthermore, I've never had any sect or students. It's been like this for more than a few decades. Everything I know are the in the books. If you read into it and get any funny ideas about me and what I said, it's you who are responsible for being duped and tricked.

2. There is saying, "rely on the law but not on people. rely on wisdom, not knowledge." If you have questions, go read the classics. Why do you have to find a person to worship and rely on? I'm 90 years. I'm tired. I have no energy to deal with so many people.

3. The college I setup is to to investigate some knowledge and to do research together. We do not take any more new students. The students that we have are just to do research together, and they were selected with some basic criteria and good serendipity. Anyone who says they have taken classes and learned here -- well, those are their words, not mine.

4. You guys have read too many novels and fanciful stories. Breaking your arm to learn Buddhism? Jumping in the ice river or off the top floor when I don't meet you? Kneeling until I meet you? That is psychological blackmail. Is this reasonable to common sense? Are you really learning Buddhism? Why do you use such threatening measures? It's self deception. I'm a 90 year old man. Why do you have to threaten an old man to learn the Tao? You guys are cultivated intellectuals, how can you do something like this?

5. I've never wanted to be a master. I never wanted to take students. I have no organization called Nan sect. I opposed sects and religions my entire life. That's the business of society.

6. You think that once you have a teacher you will become a Buddha? If you experience the esoteric knowledge in person you will reach the Tao? That's ridiculous. You guys always talk about saving others and building merit. Your own life is a mess! Start from becoming a normal person. Get a real job. Be plain and simple and do things by the rules. Don't blame heaven or people. Only using self-reflection and living a honest life is the foundation of merit. Otherwise you will just become a slacker with fanciful dreams and a burden to society. Cultivation begins with changing your psychology and habits, with meditation as mere support. Merit is the beginning of wisdom.

7. You want to become a buddha after learning from me? I'm 90 already, and I still haven't seen a real Buddha or immortal yet. Stop being superstitious. All the books I wrote are only book knowledge and intellectual. Don't get tricked by those books. Lwen Yu Summary is my main effort. There are many places to learn Zen. Go over there to meditate. I've never promoted Buddhism. When I did have Zen classes, those were just organized by colleges, and the people were screened vigorously. We just did some research together. Afterwards, everyone still had to go back to live normal lives, to rub against the difficulties of life to strengthen their heart, and to improve their habits. Everyone must walk their own paths.

You want help from other people? Help yourself! If you really believe in cause and effect, start by using proper motivation and personal inspection is the intelligent way to begin. This is cultivation's heart. Your eyes are always looking outward, blaming heaven and earth, relying on gurus and saints and teachers to worship. This is self-deception and playing a joke on the world.

Thanks, its so refreshing to read honest words

Does anyone know what the Lwen Yu Summary is or would like to translate it? I'm sure we could get enough interest to fund a translation if it is a long work

Edited by Jetsun
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7. You want to become a buddha after learning from me? I'm 90 already, and I still haven't seen a real Buddha or immortal yet. Stop being superstitious.

As much as I respect this man(I consider him one of my greatest teachers), I have many questions, and I'd be a liar if I pretended nothing bothers me about him.

It might sound like I'm attacking

him, but I mean this in the most respectful manner.

A. Why did he die of pneumonia at 94 if he had control over his death? That sounds fishy to me that you would choose to die with illness if you could choose your own death. I thought Buddhas controlled their own birth and death? That doesn't sound like a controlled death to me.

B. Why does he make the statement I quoted above if you hear him talking in other places talking about there CERTAINLY being immortals and Buddhas left on Earth? Why does he contradict himself?

• Like 1

As much as I respect this man(I consider him one of my greatest teachers), I have many questions, and I'd be a liar if I pretended nothing bothers me about him.

It might sound like I'm attacking

him, but I mean this in the most respectful manner.

A. Why did he die of pneumonia at 94 if he had control over his death? That sounds fishy to me that you would choose to die with illness if you could choose your own death. I thought Buddhas controlled their own birth and death? That doesn't sound like a controlled death to me.

B. Why does he make the statement I quoted above if you hear him talking in other places talking about there CERTAINLY being immortals and Buddhas left on Earth? Why does he contradict himself?

Having control of one's death isn't apparent at the exact time of death, but in preparation long before hand.

To the discriminating mind, a death due to illness is worse than a death due to "natural causes" In either case, it is death nonetheless...comfort and discomfort are unimportant, and are based in the discriminating process of the conscious mind. It is not the wisdom mind that is stuck in ideas of comfort.

Perhaps his death due to disease is showing people that the idea of Buddhas and Immortals being some type of mysterious, uncommon manifestation is simply superstition. They come and go, and as they come and go may be as mundane as the animal dying int he street, turning to maggots a few days later, and stinking up the street.

It is quite a normal thing.

Also, the idea of a "natural death" is also a misconception. Death, and all its myriad appearances, are constructs of the mind. How big is the mind? Where is it? Once one finds this out, they will realize that everything is simply thus, and thus is simply everything. The riddle is understood by investigating non-duality. In doing such, the "doing"of investigation must not be viewed as a "person, an I" doing the investigating. Just letting it be, reveals it all.

In terms of controlling one's death, it means to have already jumped off the cycle of birth and death, and realizing the state of coming and going as one pleases.

All of the romanticism about life and death, coming and going as one pleases, is very much a fantasy, not real at all.

It is very simple. When one is no longer caught in their mind cycle of their karmic influences, they can plant the seed to come again, and leave at a time they wish. Everything in between is just extra, experiences, etc. Those things variate from being to being, and do not dictate a definitive marker for how things should be done.

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 2

An hypothesis could be that this particular death was necessary to clean specific karmas ...

• Like 1