A Martial Artist’s Greatest Mis-Conception

By: Lin Ai Wei

In the last hundred years we have seen much from international trade and cooperation.

This kind of “bridging cultures” has brought much traditional culture to the fore-front of our “modern-era”. One such culture is that of martial arts.

When martial arts are introduced to a society, the first aspect that is seen as “special” is the fighting applications. The martial aspects are what catches people’s eyes at first glance, and becomes rooted in their minds as the most important aspect. This root-thought further breeds thoughts of superiority; empowering ego, separation; empowering ideas of various social levels, and thus manifests a culture of mis-conceived notions which point back to egotistical lifestyles and behaviors.

One such idea is the title of “Shifu, Sifu”,师傅、师父. What does this title mean, and what is the reason for its use? The title “Shifu”, in the Chinese National Language, or Sifu, in Cantonese, has two very distinct meanings. Let’s investigate what it is, and then we can further realize the mis-conception that has been rooted deep in western culture.

1). Shifu (Sifu) 师傅: Refers to one who is skillful at what they do. For example; a computer technician, chef, driver, dog walker, doctor of medicine, window/dish washer, etc.

2). Shifu (Sifu) 师父: Wrongfully translated to mean “Master”. Refers to one who teaches what they are skilled at, and accepts an apprentice, or many.

Both terms in Chinese carry the same tonation. In regards to the second translation of Shifu, there is a saying in Chinese culture, not just in regards to martial arts, but to anything one teaches, “一日为师,终生为父”: One day a teacher, a lifetime a father. Obviously, the title of Shifu has nothing to do with the word master.

If we were to say master in terms of how it is used today by martial artists, we would be better off using the term 主人, ( Zhu Ren) which would best be described as an overseer of one’s life, for example, someone who takes you in and takes care of you, if you are an orphan. An example of its use would be: Master, I bought the groceries.

Using the term Shifu to mean one who is in mastery of their skills would insinuate that the person called Shifu would be undefeated in a fight. Unfortunately, there is no such thing.

When looking at the term Shifu being used to refer to Buddhist monks, then we must understand the culture behind its use. When calling a Buddhist monk, Shifu, we are stating that they are our teachers of the Buddha-Teachings for this lifetime, a teacher and father. The monk would be in a high skill of control over their mind, and in a state of great wisdom to assist those he has fate with in studying the Buddha’s teachings. In this case, the monk would be seen as doing something that is very hard to conceive of to non monks. That is, having put down sexual desires, greed, anger and ignorance. In comparison to martial artists, not many can do that at all.

Referring to the first description of Shifu, meaning one skilled at what they do, we see that it is a respectful title offered by people as a way of having proper manners, being nice to the person. Calling one a Shifu at what they do acknowledges that person’s hard work and shows appreciation for them in giving us their service. This is a Chinese cultural behavior, and not exclusive to just martial art culture.

Never has there been a martial artist who refers to another martial artist as Shifu (师父). If he did, then he is referring to the other as a father and teacher, his own. Yet, one martial artist calling another one Shifu (师傅), is a very common, respectful mannerism.

Due to the misuse of the term Shifu, many have held their martial arts teachers in a high regard, sometimes taking all they say as the golden rule, with no room for error. Some even have taken to the idea that because their teacher is very skilled at fighting, and teaching, that the teacher is some how spiritually enlightened.

Last but not least, many see martial art teachers as one sees movie stars, and even in some cases a god. As it is, none of these views lead to wholesome lifestyles…unless it is true that the martial art teacher has become spiritually enlightened; and if so, it most definitely wouldn’t be from learning how to beat someone up, but from principles and proper education in the way towards enlightenment. That being the case, the teacher most likely wouldn’t be teaching how to fight unless the student displayed mannerisms of humility and selflessness.

The misuse of this term has resulted in such a deeply rooted mis-conception, and plagues the “modern” culture of the western martial arts world with ego, superiority and separation.

In taking on the title, realize that it is just a title, a word in the Chinese language, and any persona attached to the title is simply just the mannerisms of those who have been called such a thing. When being in the expression of the above first example of Shifu, the mannerisms of such a person vary, and there are billions of people with billions of different character traits to them. The term Shifu does not carry any character traits behind it, nor does it hold any standard of attainment. It is simply a term in the Chinese language.

The same goes for the above second example of the term. The only difference between the two is the manner of responsibility one undertakes. Taking a specific responsibility doesn’t make you any better than the next person. It only states that you have more on to do than most people.

The quality of all tasks performed and all methods taught depends on the understanding of the person teaching. Their responsibility is to be sure their apprentice (s) are safe, educated according to the methods taught, and can develop the skill to apply what they are taught. Usually, the teacher’s personal character and views influence the apprentice(s), and the apprentice thus becomes a copy of the teacher, mixed with their own lifestyle and behavior.

This is an important issue, and must not be taken lightly. Historically, the persona of a person taking on apprentices is one of a serious, well-mannered, well educated, cultured with positive principles and conduct, virtue and stands for the morality they believe in; al for the good of the people. This kind of example is a very high standard within traditional Chinese martial arts culture as well as traditional culture generally.

This kind of education has not been taken serious by a vast majority of western martial artists, and thus leads their students to focus solely on the aggressive mannerisms of martial practice. We have a saying in Chinese for this manner of lifestyle. It is called to “走火入魔”: “To walk along the fiery path and enter demonic states”. Basically it means to focus only on the aggressive and controlling aspects and thus causing the mind to mature to an overpowering, egotistical one. This way eventually leads to violence, health problems and conflicts.

Martial Arts culture has within it an education of conduct, virtue, morality, humaneness, academics and service. Teaching requires one to not just be skilled at what they do, but to be educated so as to lead an example for students in principle and righteousness towards being a humane person.

If one carries either of the “Shifu” terms, do not think you are someone better than most, and it would be wrong to think that other’s should respect you just because you carry that title. It doesn’t matter how long you have practiced, and it doesn’t matter how much other martial artists like you. You are still a human, and still must do human things. Do not let the idea of a title cloud your mind. To those who are students, it would be wise to observe the character of the person you wish to study under. Learning how to fight is only a small aspect of martial arts culture. One must investigate the culture of what they are studying and observe the potential teacher’s character, for such a person will be a big influence in your life and eventually shape how you behave and see the world.

In conclusion, the term Shifu is just a word in the Chinese language. What is more important is the personal character of the one using the title. Choose your teachers wisely, and develop yourself with humaneness, virtue and conduct first. Because it doesn’t matter how well you fight, what does matter is how good of a person you really are.

• Like 5

i like what you said about "one day a teacher, a lifetime a father"...

It rings in my mind that true mastery comes about over great many years of dedicated and consistent practice, often not shared at all ever... OR i am simply reading into something that is not there... immaculate, the way the mind works :D

• Like 1

At first, before reading your post, I contemplated a sassy remark relative to cinematography— but I really appreciated what you told us!

• Like 1

So... is this (mis)understanding of a single word a genuine hinderance on the martial way?

Are there any genuine obstacles i have placed before myself in pursuit of a true path for my feet to tread...?

I've no master, no dedicated teacher but Tao/Dao, but i pursue the wisdom and truths of the world around me... Is that not martial art?

• Like 1

ive known this for a while. and its sad to say but due to the white man, so many misconseptions about culture. even the term master has its root in the white mans ideology and tainted history. and for all those who are reading yes these misconseptions can hinder your progress on the path. you may follow somone you feel is a good martial arts teacher but dont realize they know nothing about the path of enlightenment. and to all who are reading, this the tru way is through the self, noone can get you there except you!

• Like 1

i like what you said about "one day a teacher, a lifetime a father"...

It rings in my mind that true mastery comes about over great many years of dedicated and consistent practice, often not shared at all ever... OR i am simply reading into something that is not there... immaculate, the way the mind works :D

There is no mastery if the realm of relativity only because one's achievements are relative to the next person's. One can become very proficient, but mastery would entail no one else can contend; which is literally and relatively impossible.

• Like 1

So... is this (mis)understanding of a single word a genuine hinderance on the martial way?

Are there any genuine obstacles i have placed before myself in pursuit of a true path for my feet to tread...?

I've no master, no dedicated teacher but Tao/Dao, but i pursue the wisdom and truths of the world around me... Is that not martial art?

A single mis-translation can take on into a whole different realm of comprehension.

Pursuit of wisdom and truth...always an honorable path, and not instilled in the core methods of every single martial arts practice, only a few...and its dependent upon the teacher.

ive known this for a while. and its sad to say but due to the white man, so many misconseptions about culture. even the term master has its root in the white mans ideology and tainted history. and for all those who are reading yes these misconseptions can hinder your progress on the path. you may follow somone you feel is a good martial arts teacher but dont realize they know nothing about the path of enlightenment. and to all who are reading, this the tru way is through the self, noone can get you there except you!

MOST DEFINITELY!

"Master" refereed to either a slave-owner, or someone who was extremely wealthy and hosted at home care takers, known as butlers. In Old England, the word "Master" was used for one who was head of household. Those who served under this household called the "head", "master", and because they were paid well, or at least sufficiently, they respected and kept honor to that person. It had nothing to do with skill. Orphanages in old times, would refer the owner, even schools, as "Headmaster" meaning one in control, or supervision of things.

So translating "Shifu" to mean "master" is truly not it, and has thrown many off in the martial arts world in the west. One can call another a "master" of what they do, but it is out of respect, and insinuating there is a high level of proficiency.

• Like 1

At first, before reading your post, I contemplated a sassy remark relative to cinematography— but I really appreciated what you told us!

hahaha you thought I was going to speak about how people believe the choreography in the martial arts movies depicts the real applications in martial arts? :D

No No, we should never destroy the dreams of many who watch a martial art movie and believe the whole story to be true, and "skills" shown to be actual. haha

• Like 1

To those who are students, it would be wise to observe the character of the person you wish to study under.

In conclusion, the term Shifu is just a word in the Chinese language. What is more important is the personal character of the one using the title. Choose your teachers wisely, and develop yourself with humaneness, virtue and conduct first. Because it doesn’t matter how well you fight, what does matter is how good of a person you really are.

Excellent post. I tried, and failed to help others to understand this simple yet important point in another thread. It's clear that many students today don't care about seeking and following quality teachers with authentic lineages. They happily latch on to extremely egotistical and heartless "teachers" with no, or very questionable lineages. I will never understand why anyone would ever spend time with, much less pay to study with "teachers" with such huge egos and small hearts.

To carry on the priceless teachings requires an unbroken lineage of true masters. The absolute quickest way to destroy an art is to have a bunch of frauds out there teaching small fragmented pieces. It's like the old "telephone game" the message gets garbled and completely lost by the time it gets to the last person. This doesn't happen when an authentic lineage master passes on his/her wisdom to sincere students.

As a side not, from my experience living in China and Taiwan all students address the teacher as "Lao tze." This is the same for all kinds of teachers from the greatest martial arts or meditation masters to math teachers in elementary schools. I understand that sifu is used in Canton/southern China and Honkers but my training has mainly been from the north so I never hear it used. Lao tzu is a general term that simply means teacher.

I do not believe in "impossible"... that being said, I believe true mastery is indeed possible, though the existence of an impossibility is not in and of itself impossible... it is all hinging on relativity again, that it is only impossible when/where it is impossible... everywhen/everywhere else it is wholly possible.

To elaborate (WHOA I JUST NOTICED I CAN MAKE PARAGRAPHS IN WINDOWS 8 IM TOTALLY STOKED!!!)
True mastery does not necessarily mean undefeatable, but that victory and defeat become indistinguishable (to the master), and one continues to learn from every experience.

True mastery is therefore not a destination, but a journey, a path.

Mastery, perfection, truth... genuinely adventurous pursuits! :D They share the same eternal path ;)

• Like 1

I do not believe in "impossible"... that being said, I believe true mastery is indeed possible, though the existence of an impossibility is not in and of itself impossible... it is all hinging on relativity again, that it is only impossible when/where it is impossible... everywhen/everywhere else it is wholly possible.

To elaborate (WHOA I JUST NOTICED I CAN MAKE PARAGRAPHS IN WINDOWS 8 IM TOTALLY STOKED!!!)

True mastery does not necessarily mean undefeatable, but that victory and defeat become indistinguishable (to the master), and one continues to learn from every experience.

True mastery is therefore not a destination, but a journey, a path.

Mastery, perfection, truth... genuinely adventurous pursuits! :D They share the same eternal path ;)

There are things that just will not happen in this world. Mastery in terms of being #1 in the manner of no one able to contend, no one able to beat up ( for sake of saying) just will not be.

BUT if people actually held the idea of what you are saying, "true master is not a destination, but journey, a path." well, then we would be looking at someone in mastery of their own mind, perfecting their virtue and conduct. Ihaven't met many martial artists like that. Few and far between.

Calling one "master" would be a nice way of making one feel good, in reflection of their proficiency in skill, and a sign of respecting their efforts. Yet, the term Shifu doesn't signify a mastery of anything, nor does it mean one has control of their disciples..and or other people.

One of my friends posted an article on FB, which I can not get to being I'm in China. The jest of the article was stating how in the eyes of the law, and the eyes of overall modern society, a martial arts teacher is nothing more than a physical education coach, and any special commendations expected by the teacher, just because he has a title in the sports of what they teach, actually means nothing to the overall majority. Which I totally agree with...personally.

Basically, don't let titles gas up your head, form your ego, and empower your views about yourself.

If there was a cultivator who attained the realization of their inherent wisdom, and has overcome all inner and outer demons, overcome their own afflictions, and thus has left the cycle of birth and death, they are known as first in the world, and are undefeated, truly. They would be considered in mastery, thus worthy of such a title.

• Like 1

Excellent post. I tried, and failed to help others to understand this simple yet important point in another thread. It's clear that many students today don't care about seeking and following quality teachers with authentic lineages. They happily latch on to extremely egotistical and heartless "teachers" with no, or very questionable lineages. I will never understand why anyone would ever spend time with, much less pay to study with "teachers" with such huge egos and small hearts.

To carry on the priceless teachings requires an unbroken lineage of true masters. The absolute quickest way to destroy an art is to have a bunch of frauds out there teaching small fragmented pieces. It's like the old "telephone game" the message gets garbled and completely lost by the time it gets to the last person. This doesn't happen when an authentic lineage master passes on his/her wisdom to sincere students.

As a side not, from my experience living in China and Taiwan all students address the teacher as "Lao tze." This is the same for all kinds of teachers from the greatest martial arts or meditation masters to math teachers in elementary schools. I understand that sifu is used in Canton/southern China and Honkers but my training has mainly been from the north so I never hear it used. Lao tzu is a general term that simply means teacher.

You may be meaning 老师 Lao Shi, meaning teacher. Lao Zi, I never heard anyone use this in China...unless they wrote the DDJ. hahahahaha

Many Northerners use Lao Shi more than Shifu. Southerns are more ept to use the more traditional mannerisms.