Ha.

I cut 80% of my deer into "stew meat", and freeze it in individual dinner size packages. That way I can thaw just as much as I need for that meal out a time. I don't do many steaks or burger. That's a lot of meat all at once. I fry up the little strips or chunks of stew meat and add all the veggies, then the rice, once it's done.

I don't own a bbq. About 80% stew that gets fried with veggies, about 10% sausage for breakfast, the other 10% steaks. The steaks get seared in a cast iron skillet at pretty high heat. Just enough on each side to brown the outside, and still basically raw in the middle :) I want the meat to last as long as possible, and the amount a "normal" person would cut into a steak will last me a dinner and two or three leftover-lunches if I cut it into stew meat.

Had deer sausage once. It was definitely different. Not bad, just different from the meat I'm used to eating. One thing I enjoy about my husband is that I get to try new food every so often! So far the only thing I won't touch again is raw oyster. He didn't tell me in time "don't chew". ICK. Like eating a balloon.

Ceviche is good.

I love sushi.

I had raw elk once. It was great.

For me raw meat is really good. It's just a matter of trusting the source. With red meat especially, I pretty much only trust it if I or a good friend was the one who shot and processed it. Chicken or pork I wouldn't do...

Wild game varies widely and wildly :D in taste depending on what it's been eating, how it was killed, and how well it was processed.

Edited by i am
  • Like 1

Your last line reminds me of tales my parents and grandparents would tale about the cows they milked. They said it was nasty to drink if the cow had been eating onion or "bitterweed". :D

Only had fresh goat's milk myself. Pretty good.

I've never had any other kind of raw meat, to my knowledge. Wouldn't mind trying sushi sometime. First you'll have to get me away from the little pastries that have cream cheese and crab meat in them. Those things are divine!

Does anyone have any thoughts on Daniel Reid's section on nutrition in his The Tao of Health, Sex and Longevity? It's around 25 years old now. Do people still think it's relevant? Does he have a good grasp of Chinese medicine and the Chinese approach in general to diet?

I've just started looking at his food combining today so I can't really say whether it makes a difference or not yet.

Edited by Reed

Okay, i am interested in peoples' dietary pointers. i would rather this thread not be about morals or being "higher spiritually" Lets keep it at what you eat, what you wont eat and how it makes you feel.

Here goes:

For me, i eat organic fruits, veggies, grains. - huge difference in taste, feel generally better. sometimes i eat less than i used to, sometimes i overeat. i grow my own sprouts from organic seeds, these are really awesome

i normally eat meat, but i am going to stop for a while and see how i do. i used to be lacto-ovo vegetarian and i started eating meat because i was feeling too energetic and needed to bring myself out of the clouds. after i finish the fast i am on right now i am going to go vegan. (anyone got a good vegan pancake recipe?)

Filter water with a brita picher - huge difference in taste and less issues with difficulty urinating

i want to try trophology, but i don't know how well i can stick to it considering my boyfriend makes incredible indian food which has a lot of bad combos. So that is something for me to consider in the future. Also considering gluten or grain free and raw. What is up with the paleo diet? Does anyone have success with this? It looks like it would be terrible for my body.

Every morning i start with a fruit smoothie with some greens and sprouts and i feel great. it really keeps the energy going from practice. i only notice a drop in energy when i start to eat heavier stuff

Here is a good site i enjoy, lets you know exactly how non organic food is affecting you - www.whatsonmyfood.org/

Eating organic in a college town is pretty affordable for me. i buy the cheapest things from all the competing stores and i spend about 200$ a month for two people eating all organic

Wow! Only $200 for 2 people, by eating organic? Are you sure? Lol! That sounds too amazing!1

Pure veg here.

Makes me fart a lot but that's the beans.

Never known any different so never got used to the idea of eating meat.

Good luck to those who do though, each to their own.

Wow! That's okay! It is all about how it makes you feel!!

I don't know if there are Restaurant Sinaloa locations in Tucson but I think so, I went to the location in Mesa. Get the botana de camaron y pulpo con limon verde. It's the only thing you'll eat all day and after you've napped you'll wanna fuck like a rabbit.

Make sure you use the habanero sauce. I know it's no enticement to you but I'm always pleased with how the waitresses look at Restaurant Sinaloa.

This is an interesting question (the what is your diet like that is)... I currently have a very bad diet in regards to, cholesterol, fat, not enough veggies, too many starches, etc. Next Tuesday I am leaving to live in Sant Mat household (ashram)? The residents are lacto-vegetarians, which means not just no meat, but no eggs either. I was a vegetarian for a long time, but that was over fifteen years ago. I imagine the transition will be rough, but health wise, much better. When I can get back online, I'll let you know what it was like.

Aaron

Edited by Aaron

Has there ever been a recipe thread on TTB? I'll bet people around here make some great healthy (and not so healthy) food.

My typical, staple meal for lunch and dinner is:

Low temp fried deer, onion garlic carrot celery (with the leaves), and any other veggie on hand that sounds good, plus brown rice. All mixed together.

Didn't get a deer this year, so my current favorite, in front of me right now, is:

Quinoa, simmered about 20 minutes. Somewhere between 10 and15 minutes, add chopped...everything. Right on top, no stirring. What was in my fridge, and sounded good, was garlic, green onion, celery, carrot, beet greens, bok choy. Then when it's been 20 and the quinoa is done and veggies are steamed, add braggs liquid aminos for salt and flavor, some pepper, and some turmeric. Lately to this I've been adding kale, sautéed separately with garlic & onion, then added to the rest of it. The fact that its fried gives it all a different flavor, instead of just all steamed veggies.

That was Sunday nights dinner, and Monday & Wednesdays lunch. Really simple, with the most processed thing being the braggs. This type grain-veggie mix is probably 80% of my diet. Meat mixed in when I have it. Always way more than I'm going to eat that night, so I can have it for leftovers for lunch, instead of ending up grabbing something on the town since I'm busy at work.

Hah! You cook and eat exactly the same as me!

I have been trying to keep the fire low, so I've temporarily eliminated garlic, onions, and peppers. I've never done this, so I am keeping track of how I feel without all the garlic I'm used to. Also, I have been adding minimal spices to my food, and eating a ton of oils. (fish, olive, hemp, flax seed). I had a beer and steak craving last night that I entertained with an organic t-bone and local lager. I was too horny to fall asleep right away, and had some crazy dreams.

I've noticed a difference increasing oils and eating a lot of nuts during the day, and not eating carbs for breakfast. Much less fatigue and hunger. If you have never tried adding hemp seeds to breakfast, I suggest you give it a try.

• Like 1

Hah! You cook and eat exactly the same as me!

I have been trying to keep the fire low, so I've temporarily eliminated garlic, onions, and peppers. I've never done this, so I am keeping track of how I feel without all the garlic I'm used to. Also, I have been adding minimal spices to my food, and eating a ton of oils. (fish, olive, hemp, flax seed). I had a beer and steak craving last night that I entertained with an organic t-bone and local lager. I was too horny to fall asleep right away, and had some crazy dreams.

I've noticed a difference increasing oils and eating a lot of nuts during the day, and not eating carbs for breakfast. Much less fatigue and hunger. If you have never tried adding hemp seeds to breakfast, I suggest you give it a try.

Interesting!

Yeah I've always gone with the health advice that garlic and onions are good for you, and since I love them, I always use a lot. But then I find this stuff on a spiritually healthy diet avoiding those things...so I'm cutting back a little on them.

I limit carbs pretty naturally...just don't eat a lot of them. Since I didn't get a deer this year and store bought beef etc scares me, I've been just eating fish a couple times a week. I always eat a lot of nuts, and get avocados whenever they're good. And though its probably mostly genetic, my cholesterol is GREAT. That's with eating more cheese than I should, and eating out probably twice week...usually a burger one of those times, and a potato/sausage/cheese/egg fat bomb once a week.

I have cut back on the hot peppers, too. The more things I cut out of my diet, the more sensitive I get to eating bad foods, or any of the foods I've cut out, whether they're inherently "bad" or not. That's the annoying part of this. Some things I used to eat a lot, just kind of destroy me...getting harder to go to friends houses for dinner...

• Like 1

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years.

I'm 20 now, so I don't really know how it affects me because it's my natural state.

I'm healthy, never had major health problems.

I think anyone can do it, but some thrive on it, others...not so much.

Oildrops, I'll look into the hemp seeds. I've been mostly skipping breakfast, for the first time ever in my life. I have some hot water with honey before I leave the house, and that's it till later morning. Sometime around 10 I have a handful of nuts and an apple or something. I'll throw some hemp seeds in with the almonds I've been eating.

Edited by i am

my diet is in peril right now...

Not getting enough fruit, drinking too much soda, eating low quality meats in canned and frozen foods, and waiting for cooperation, that i know i am not going to receive, to start a garden out back.

On the bright side, my breath awareness meditations have improved my ability to metabolize all the rotten shit i have been putting in my system...

I hope that at some point, my high sensitivity to crappy foods wears off as I progress, and learn how to turn any random crap into fuel. But I'm not there yet..

And really I'm not all that sensitive...but I can definitely tell when I've eaten stuff I shouldn't have.

I'm really not sure that pre-packaged meals are cheaper than buying fresh veggies and rice/quinoa..? With some occasional fresh meat thrown in.

Edited by i am

eeeehhh.... i'd say it's mostly trying to maintain high water intake (and higher coffee intake -_-) and minimize "eating" when it comes to not having a choice but to buy affordable over healthy. :lol:

Keeping up with breath coordination helps minimize hunger as well.

Edited by Northern Avid Judo Ant