Sign in to follow this  
WillingToListen

Does art come from suffering?

I've just been stuck with this thought the last couple weeks. I used to write and make music, although they were both kind of negative. The writing was mostly noir/horror type. The music was dark and ultra-violent, I distanced myself from it completely before my first "experience" happened. I'm experiencing a "kundalini awakening" and I'm doing okay- it's just that now that I'm so content most of the time, I can't pull my artistic energy from the same place I used to, hate/fear/bigsadness. I've found myself trying to attempt the negative music again and it literally feels like it hurts my body(I think it does) and when I try to write "dark" lyrics I literally get headaches from it. I have so much energy and the fact that I can't follow my "passions" makes me sad sometimes. Is it just my perspective? I know a lot of people on here talk about how good and bad is an illusion/perspective. Do I just need to "get over it"? All I know is that I really loved writing and it was really nice having music as an additional outlet, but now that I can't do those like I used to I have no place to put any grief/release energy- I find myself "exploding" with rage sometimes or getting Extremely sad. I need art :/

That's terrific. You can find a new type of art expressing something different.

Try listening to Beethovens 9 th and looking at some Chagall, Odilon Redon, Rothko, Kandinsky...

New artistic input will open up your mind to new modes of inspiration.

• Like 2

To a fellow artist, just keep practicing. You were drawing off of a strong emotion before, perhaps you can draw off other strong emotions like happiness or silliness. Arists are reknowned for their moodiness. Try a new mood and see what happens. =)

Like cat said too, experiment around with music. I know from experience that sometimes a good song is all you need for a proper creative kick.

And one more old art tip that'll likely never die: ne'er give up no matter how disappointed ya are with the results!

• Like 1

I've just been stuck with this thought the last couple weeks. I used to write and make music, although they were both kind of negative. The writing was mostly noir/horror type. The music was dark and ultra-violent, I distanced myself from it completely before my first "experience" happened. I'm experiencing a "kundalini awakening" and I'm doing okay- it's just that now that I'm so content most of the time, I can't pull my artistic energy from the same place I used to, hate/fear/bigsadness. I've found myself trying to attempt the negative music again and it literally feels like it hurts my body(I think it does) and when I try to write "dark" lyrics I literally get headaches from it. I have so much energy and the fact that I can't follow my "passions" makes me sad sometimes. Is it just my perspective? I know a lot of people on here talk about how good and bad is an illusion/perspective. Do I just need to "get over it"? All I know is that I really loved writing and it was really nice having music as an additional outlet, but now that I can't do those like I used to I have no place to put any grief/release energy- I find myself "exploding" with rage sometimes or getting Extremely sad. I need art :/

I see what you mean man.

Art is expression, free expression without any shoulds or shouldnts, even thats a rule.

Personally I try to make art from a place of utmost peace or stillness or inspiration, although the idea that I want to change anyone or show someone something instead of focusing on myself seems a little egoic and anti creative. Like there is zen art, psychedelic art, chinese flute music etc.

Anyways good luck with expressing yourself. Actually I think I was reading the other day how some zen schools purposely made it a point or cultivation to learn to TRULY express..

I dont know, im blabbering lol

• Like 1

*"my"* art has been inspired by *"other"* art more than anything... but i think my most personal and unique work has been based on my experiences of discomfort, dissatisfaction, illness, suffering, and pain...

However, i wouldnt consider that my best work either.

My "art" is story, plot, scenario, chronicle...

IMO.....all art comes from a level of "depth".....or to say it another way.....the "work" we produce is a result of our Vibrational frequency/Energy Level.

When we practice cultivation or in your case are going through a Kundalini Awakening your vibrational frequency or level of conscious awareness is changing and as a result what you were attracted to create is changing because your energy is changing.....you can still write, its just the kind of writing your going to be drawn to write is gonna be different from what "your old self" would have liked to create. "As within it is without.

Do a bit of reading and study other writers and find another style your interested in and matches your current "energy" and then roll with it. I have heard the same thing happen with musicians whom find the music they want to produce changes as they cultivate. Best of luck.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 3

i say just start creating, and whatever comes out comes out. If it is hurting to get it out maybe it is just a blockage release and once its fully done you might not feel the need to express that pain anymore. definitely wouldn't bottle things up if you are still feeling them though

Some art stems from suffering, some from contentment and some from the desire to earn a living by it.

No audience, no artist.

I agree completely.

I myself have written alot of poetry that sprung from an overwhelming anxiety which burst creatively in all directions. But all of those creations tended to the negative side, some very beautiful and dificult to tell that they were negative. But the Dark Side was there.. occult.

During this period i really believed that all inspiration came from this profound striving / anxiety. But all of a sudden one day, i discovered anoter source of inspiration, and it was blissfull, peacful, very wise, serene, and way,. way more lucid, as if inspiration poured with no difficulti and spontaneously.

I made one now, I have no idea if it is good or bad, if someone critisized it I wouldnt say anything, if someone praised it I wouldnt say anything, it just is what it is...

You can still do those things, just don't rely on the negative exclusively as a muse. Maybe try minimalistic artwork with simple themes such as 'completeness', 'peace', et cetera. Its very good for calming down the mind.

That's terrific. You can find a new type of art expressing something different.

Try listening to Beethovens 9 th and looking at some Chagall, Odilon Redon, Rothko, Kandinsky...

New artistic input will open up your mind to new modes of inspiration.

Odilon Redon is my favorite,....Rothko, Chagall, and Kandinsky close runners-up, perhaps Paul Klee to top off a 5.

http://wisdomsgoldenrod.org/notebooks/14

http://www.odilon-redon.org/The-Buddha-2.html

Edited by Vmarco

Sign in to follow this