safi

Great Spiritual, Physical & Mental Benefits From Semen Retention (Celibacy) And Mental Emptiness! - My Experience And Thoughts

By that definition of egoistic, writing down your thoughts is egoistic.

Yes. Ultimately, if one wants to "achieve" enlightenment, he needs to stop "doing". The tao doesn't do... it just "is".

That's the way I see it.

Edited by safi

Some of the people I personally would describe as the most "evil, ignorant" people have actually been very religious people either of islam, christianity or buddhism. They were not "evil" I am just making a point though, they are so repressed all their actions counterbalance their repression

Yes. Ultimately, if one wants to "achieve" enlightenment, he needs to stop "doing". The tao doesn't do... it just "is".

Doing and not doing...same thing

Doing and not doing...same thing

By that argument one might as well start killing others and do whatever one pleases. Ultimately, it doesn't make a difference to the tao, but it does make a difference to the "one" who has not realized his true self. His journey to self-realization (which according to various religious texts is the ultimate goal of all living things) will be hindered.

EDIT:

We are agreeing with each other, but from a different perspective.

Edited by safi

Who is it who does something?

I will use the same words Ramana used when answering several questions:

Find out!

I guess we are.

To me enlightenment is not just an accident that normal people probably get but neither is it something endless struggling and striving will achieve. To some extent, enlightenment can be considered having supernatural powers or being a definition of perfect but personally I see it as being here right now,

I will use the same words Ramana used when answering several questions:

Find out!

already have

So let me see, you say abandon desire, yet you desire to be enlightened and kill all sexual urges?

yeh... one shouldn't control their desires... people who do are evil...

All the parents of these children.. just going with the flow...

... there is no...good or evil though right?... so what does it matter?

Starving-Child-5.jpg

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

So let me see, you say abandon desire, yet you desire to be enlightened and kill all sexual urges?

Not exactly, I want to be free of desires. I guess that can be interpreted as a desire in itself. I think self-realization happens automatically to one who is free of desires, even if he doesn't try to.

And with all due respect... I don't think you should place the "desire" of enlightment on the same level as wordly desires.

Where is this from?

Ive said before the spiritual path is one for warriors.... not the faint of heart....

Who else would be willing to jump into the abyss?

Who else would be willing to "destroy" them-self / to recreate / to better / to question everything about the world

To go against the status quo...

Let the ground fall beneath them...

Every gain I have had has been through discipline / through overcoming and refining

not by indulging in vice

Billions follow such a path and ruin is the only result.

Only a small few have the ability/ will to master their own self.

He who conquers himself conquers all...

To a mind that is still the universe surrenders...

All these things have a time, a place

And with all due respect... I don't think you should place the "desire" of enlightment on the same level as wordly desires.

Maybe it is a worldly desire

Maybe it is a worldly desire

If you intend to use it for wordly purposes to satisfy your wordly desires, then it is.

Where is this from?

Me?

Other than ...To a mind that is still the universe surrenders - Lao Tzu

Lao Tzu said too... He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty

I say he who conquers himself conquers all... not sure of the origins of this... there are a few similar versions...

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air

Who wants to be free from desires? and whos desires are they

I'm convinced there's value in retention and celibacy (and I thank you Safi for your account of the benefits), but it's certainly not for everybody. Context is everything here. What attitude does one approach the practice with? What practices have been done to pave the way? Is one at a point in his life and spiritual journey that retention/celibacy is a sensible next step?

Clearly, retention is a powerful practice, and like most powerful things it can be powerfully good or powerfully bad. I've tried to retain for 100 days without success for about, oh...ten years now. Let's just say that continually failing hasn't been the best thing for my self-esteem. I continue because I'm crazy like that and have got it stuck in my mind that it's worthwhile. But maybe, for me, it would be better to take a step back and re-evaluate.

As human beings were always gonna have desires. That's part of having a physical body. Right now I am craving a burger, but I am not attached to that desire....I observe it and watch it with no strings attached. The goal is detachment.....but at the same time still being intensely involved with life....you gotta learn to walk that thin line with a bit of grace.

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen

I'm convinced there's value in retention and celibacy (and I thank you Safi for your account of the benefits), but it's certainly not for everybody. Context is everything here. What attitude does one approach the practice with? What practices have been done to pave the way? Is one at a point in his life and spiritual journey that retention/celibacy is a sensible next step?

Clearly, retention is a powerful practice, and like most powerful things it can be powerfully good or powerfully bad. I've tried to retain for 100 days without success for about, oh...ten years now. Let's just say that continually failing hasn't been the best thing for my self-esteem. I continue because I'm crazy like that and have got it stuck in my mind that it's worthwhile. But maybe, for me, it would be better to take a step back and re-evaluate.

Hi Luke, the practice that I have done and am still doing is simply mental emptiness which gives me a lot of control over my mind and senses, that's how I have managed to control sexual desire. Here's a trick... when sexual thoughts arise, don't try to fight them. Fighting against your own thoughts is useless and frustrating. Instead of fighting with them I ignore them and "move" my awareness to my "heart center". This spot that I'm talking about is situated near the heart but in the center, and maybe a bit lower... I move my awareness to this place because it is the source of my bliss.

To make it easier for you to understand where this spot is, it is the same spot where you feel fear, at least that's where I feel a disturbance of energy when I feel fear. I assume that other people feel the same. With practice, your thoughts (not just sexual thoughts) will start to reduce and the control over your desires will increase.

EDIT:

To be precise, I do not need to move my awareness to the spot that I have mentioned. If I clear my mind the awareness moves on its own to the spot.

Edited by safi
  • Like 2

Here is a great video on Brachmacharya. What this guy explains is that without the raw fuel from the reproductive system, Kundalini does not have enough force to break thorught to the higher centers. So without brahmacharya, there is no awakening. Every single saint/sage/yogi in India has said the same thing.

Edited by digitalyogi
  • Like 2

Thanks but I am practicing something: mental emptiness

I remember when I read the yoga sutras by patanjali there was a line in the begining where he said that the goal of yoga is the cessation of thoughts. That line stuck in my mind.

Thanks a lot for this information, Digitalyogi. I read about "nadas" before but I don't remember reading about one sounding like a clock. Also, I searched the term and couldn't find much relevant information on it. Did you experience this sound as well? Or did you read about it? If you did can you please share the source? In your other post you said that you experienced the same things. Did you experience anything else which I didn't mention? I would be nice if there was someone more advanced than me in this practice.

Okay then it makes alot more sense, I would imagine trying celibacy without any practice would be quite impossible :P

Stillness-Movement will transmute the energy. Oldgreen stated it worked for him, and I've had some experiences during practice which corroborate.

I'm at 14 days for celibacy right now. :)

Awesome! I already have a practice then :P I was actually secretly hoping for this while reading Safi's first post :)

It did for me although since I fell off the wagon my energy levels are going down again :wacko:

Wow, I am definitely going to try this! :P

With all due respect texts such as thetaoteching and chuang tzu suggest that endless strugling and striving to become something or be perfect etc are in a way against the tao because one is perfect as they are right now.

Sinan if nothing is needed, then why do you practice? :P

After quitting all of my addictions, I don't see semen retention as extreme :P Infact, I view it as an interesting idea :P