safi

Great Spiritual, Physical & Mental Benefits From Semen Retention (Celibacy) And Mental Emptiness! - My Experience And Thoughts

This is really interesting, I have so far thought that it would be nearly impossible to do this without a practice that converts the sexual energy into spiritual. It seems that it happens on its own atleast partly. I'm giving serious thought to this, it could help people with cronic fatique syndrome such as myself :P

Stillness-Movement will transmute the energy. Oldgreen stated it worked for him, and I've had some experiences during practice which corroborate.

I'm at 14 days for celibacy right now. :)

• Like 1

Stillness-Movement will transmute the energy. Oldgreen stated it worked for him, and I've had some experiences during practice which corroborate.

I'm at 14 days for celibacy right now. :)

I think that (mental stillness), along with purity (celibacy, no hatred etc...) is all that is needed to advance spiritually and ultimately achieve enlightenment.

Good luck with your celibacy.

Edited by safi

Thanks! I look forward to seeing if my eyesight improves as well...I have bad eyesight, and would love for that to be reversed.

My celibacy started naturally. Sexual desire took a sudden dive, and the first week I didn't even have to try to not get caught up in sexual thoughts. It's been difficult the past couple of days, but I think I can handle it.

Other important information:

Prior to my celibacy I had already gained control of my palate. I think this helped me to overcome sexual desire. Gandhi thought so as well. Also, I hadn't planned this when I first started but about 2 months ago I stopped eating meat. I did this for 2 reasons:

1) I started eating most of my food with little or no condiments. Meat didn't taste that good without condiments so I quit eating it.

2) I feel much better after eating fruit and vegetables than meat.

Still, I do not call myself a vegetarian. I consume dairy products and eggs and if necessary I would eat meat as well.

In my OP I mentioned the spiritual benefits that I experience. The more I still my mind the stronger my experiences and I can experience them more intensely if I sit down with my spine straight. Unfortunately I cannot do the full lotus posture or the half lotus posture so I don't know if those would increase the intensity or not. When I stand up I can still feel them but with much less intensity. I don't know why this is... maybe it's because when standing up the energy spreads itself out over a larger area, but I'm not sure. I would be great if someone could explain this.

Edited by safi
  • Like 1

I'm giving serious thought to this, it could help people with cronic fatique syndrome such as myself :P

It did for me although since I fell off the wagon my energy levels are going down again :wacko:

I wish luck to anyone who's practicing or who's interested in starting.

In another thread one was asking for the cause of boredom. I think it is lack of energy which is caused by worrying and by indulging in sensual pleasures etc... Ever since my energy started to increase with this practice I have never felt bored.

Anyway, if you do some research like I did, you would find out that masturbation was looked down upon in most ancient societies. Just about a century ago people used to say that masturbation makes you go blind. Going blind by masturbation seems to be a bit of exaggeration but seeing how my eyesight recovered after I quit, I say there must be a connection.

Modern society claims that the reason modern people have bad eyesight is because of computers and T.V. I disagree... my time in front of my computer has actually increased. In the past few months I literally spent days reading different texts online and that didn't stop my eyesight from improving. I think excessive sex is the problem, not just with eyesight but with plenty of things.

Edited by safi
  • Like 2

I agree with that. I have noticed that I can spend a lot of time in front of the pc and my eyes are not tired at all. Before that several hours in front of the monitor and my eyes were absolutely blood shot.

I wish luck to anyone who's practicing or who's interested in starting.

In another thread one was asking for the cause of boredom. I think it is lack of energy which is caused by worrying and by indulging in sensual pleasures etc... Ever since my energy started to increase with this practice I have never felt bored.

Anyway, if you do some research like I did, you would find out that masturbation was looked down upon in most ancient societies. Just about a century ago people used to say that masturbation makes you go blind. Going blind by masturbation seems to be a bit of exaggeration but seeing how my eyesight recovered after I quit, I say there must be a connection.

Modern society claims that the reason modern people have bad eyesight is because of computers and T.V. I disagree... my time in front of my computer has actually increased. In the past few months I literally spent days reading different texts online and that didn't stop my eyesight from improving. I think excessive sex is the problem, not just with eyesight but with plenty of things.

From what I understand... most/ all? animals have a mating season... so 95% approx of the year (or longer?) all animals (minus humans) are celibate.

The breeding season is the most suitable season, usually with favourable conditions and abundant food and water, for breeding among some wild animals and birds (wildlife). Species with a breeding season have naturally evolved to have sexual intercourse during a certain time of year in order to achieve the best reproductive success. Different species of wild animal and birds have different breeding seasons according to their particular habitat requirements and food availability. Abiotic factors such as the timing of seasonal rains and winds can also play an important role in breeding onset and success.(C.Michael Hogan. 2010)The breeding season is the most suitable season, usually with favourable conditions and abundant food and water, for breeding among some wild animals and birds (wildlife). Species with a breeding season have naturally evolved to have sexual intercourse during a certain time of year in order to achieve the best reproductive success. Different species of wild animal and birds have different breeding seasons according to their particular habitat requirements and food availability. Abiotic factors such as the timing of seasonal rains and winds can also play an important role in breeding onset and success.(C.Michael Hogan. 2010)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breeding_season

^ seems the animals are more aligned with the Tao?

Probably one of the most / the most powerful energy in the universe... creation

I think it was Osho (that I read... perhaps there are other writings on it too)... I can't find it a present... but in terms of pro creation... the longer one is celibate the more powerful/ cultivated the seed ... this either attracts a more developed spirit... or the power/vitality is shared with the child.

He talks of spontaneous celibacy ... so a natural desire to pursue such.. I imagine.

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 1

It used to be believed that only humans and a handful of other species performed sexual acts other than for procreation, and that animals' sexuality was instinctive and a simple response to the "right" stimulation (sight, scent). Current understanding is that many species that were formerly believed monogamous have now been proven to be promiscuous or opportunistic in nature; a wide range of species appear both to masturbate and to use objects as tools to help them do so; in many species animals try to give and get sexual stimulation with others where procreation is not the aim; and homosexual behaviour has now been observed among 1,500 species and in 500 of those it is well documented.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal_sexual_behaviour#Prostitution

How do you practice mental emptiness, have you been meditating for many years? A seasoned meditator will only get miliseconds of genuine emptiness every session, others who attain a sort of blank mind are really practicing a form of repression rather than genuine meditation, so its important to not fall into what they call "dead tree Zen"

I have some problems with this thread first of all Iam jealous I cant "retain" that long :D but have ejaculated as naturally as I felt like for the last few days and honestly my energy feels so much smoother and unrepressed and normal.

Secondly I know from experience of meeting and interacting with a lot of people who have called themselves "pure" etc really these people are somewhat bitter repressed unable to be normal psychopaths using spirituality as a crutch and condemning everyone else to feel better about themselves, the idea of being lazy, unproductive, enjoying life, wild, useless, completely normal, irresponsible is way too much to handle for some of these people, and yes to some extent I am talking about myself.

I mean dont get me wrong my opinion may be skewed due to "losing my jing" or it might have some validity

but anyways I wish you all the best in whatever your doing, I admire that you can retain that long..

Edited by sinansencer

How do you practice mental emptiness, have you been meditating for many years? A seasoned meditator will only get miliseconds of genuine emptiness every session, others who attain a sort of blank mind are really practicing a form of repression rather than genuine meditation, so its important to not fall into what they call "dead tree Zen"

Mind is the open sky... clouds are thoughts... don't try and grab the clouds?

Just let them float gently by...

What he said. I don't force myself to stop thinking. The thoughts reduce on their own if I focus on my bliss instead of them. The higher the bliss, the more relaxed I feel, and the less thoughts I get.

I have some problems with this thread first of all Iam jealous I cant "retain" that long :D but have ejaculated as naturally as I felt like for the last few days and honestly my energy feels so much smoother and unrepressed and normal.

Secondly I know from experience of meeting and interacting with a lot of people who have called themselves "pure" etc really these people are somewhat bitter repressed unable to be normal psychopaths using spirituality as a crutch and condemning everyone else to feel better about themselves, the idea of being lazy, unproductive, enjoying life, wild, useless, completely normal, irresponsible is way too much to handle for some of these people, and yes to some extent I am talking about myself.

I mean dont get me wrong my opinion may be skewed due to "losing my jing" or it might have some validity

but anyways I wish you all the best in whatever your doing, I admire that you can retain that long..

You say that your energy feels smoother after ejaculating. Personally I think sexual desire comes from energy which has not been sublimated yet. If instead of ejaculating, you practiced mental emptiness, your "extra" energy would've been "refined" and now you would have more energy than before.

Remember that in my OP I said that initially semen retention clouded my mind rather than calmed it... it was after I "sublimated" it with mental emptiness that it had that positive effect on me. So, whenever you get the urge to engage in sexual activity try to forget about it and after a day or 2 you'll notice that your desire has dropped and your energy has increased. That's what has been happening to me in the past few months.

I doubt that those people you met are really pure as they say they are. It takes a lot of hard practice to become pure and I doubt that a pure hearted person would brag about anything and act like that. Just so we're clear, I don't think of myself as a pure person. I'm certainly purer that I was before but I'm still far away from complete purity.

I wish you all the best as well.

Edited by safi

With all due respect texts such as thetaoteching and chuang tzu suggest that endless strugling and striving to become something or be perfect etc are in a way against the tao because one is perfect as they are right now.

With all due respect texts such as thetaoteching and chuang tzu suggest that endless strugling and striving to become something or be perfect etc are in a way against the tao because one is perfect as they are right now.

Correct, which is why you shouldn't do anything. If you engage in sensual pleasures and in thoughts you are doing something. But if you don't, you aren't doing anything and in "time", you will realize your true perfect self.

Correct, which is why you shouldn't do anything. If you engage in sensual pleasures and in thoughts you are doing something. But if you don't, you aren't doing anything and in "time", you will realize your true perfect self.

I feel like I am being antagonistic here, well I guess thats just life. Anyways thoughts and "sensual pleasures" and "engaging" in them is also part of doing nothing, doing nothing is doing something, doing something is doing nothing, they go together. My true perfect self is here right now, surely you have heard that enlightenment doesnt come in the future.

Dont get me wrong I have also retained, and occasionally decently well. Although sometimes I have done it very repressingly and beaten myself up if I have failed in my normal human urges.

Interesting... I guess it depends on one's point of view. The way I see it, texts such as the ones you mentioned shun struggling to achieve something because you don't need to achieve anything. You only need to realize your true self. Sensual pleasures are of the physical body (which eastern religions seem to suggest is unreal), so if you engage in them with the intention of feeling pleasure, then you haven't realized your true self because the true self finds pleasure from "being".

That's the way I see it. Of course I'm speaking from intellect here... I'm not a spirituality advanced person and what I said could very well be wrong, but this is what I understand from reading the scriptures. All I can say is that I have experienced several benefits from celibacy.

Edited by safi
  • Like 1

Safi has found that something that works for him and makes him stronger... I don't think it is fair to try and derail him/discourage him..

Good thread and well done Safi!

Peace

• Like 3

Ive said before the spiritual path is one for warriors.... not the faint of heart....

Who else would be willing to jump into the abyss?

Who else would be willing to "destroy" them-self / to recreate / to better / to question everything about the world

To go against the status quo...

Let the ground fall beneath them...

Every gain I have had has been through discipline / through overcoming and refining

not by indulging in vice

Billions follow such a path and ruin is the only result.

Only a small few have the ability/ will to master their own self.

He who conquers himself conquers all...

To a mind that is still the universe surrenders...

All these things have a time, a place

Edited by White Wolf Running On Air
  • Like 2

lol ok guys walk on fire torture yourselfs, be spiritual

• Like 1

You'll find in time, that it is the very opposite.

when, now?

Ive said before the spiritual path is one for warriors.... not the faint of heart....

Who else would be willing to jump into the abyss?

Who else would be willing to "destroy" them-self / to recreate / to better / to question everything about the world

To go against the status quo...

Let the ground fall beneath them...

Every gain I have had has been through discipline / through overcoming and refining

not by indulging in vice

Billions follow such a path and ruin is the only result.

Only a small few have the ability/ will to master their own self.

He who conquers himself conquers all...

To a mind that is still the universe surrenders...

All these things have a time, a place

On the other hand many masters say all that is required is to relax