Sometimes while practicing Pranayama, more often with Bhastrika Pranayama, I feel Heat forming in the area of the coccix.

It happens during Antar Kumbhaka; Inner Retention.

I get scared because of the fantastic stories I have heard about Yogis that burnt themselves up and all. While I was in India, visiting a Naturopathic Hospital, I was said that a few days earlier a young Yoguin was brought in, it was said that he was going crazy and felt as if he was on fire on the inside. I don't know how much of this is true or not, believe it or not, most Indians see Yoga more fanatically than westeners and don't actually practice it to try and reach Samadhi. They are very "Afraid" (or maybe respect alot) the practice.

Sometimes I feel the Heat rising. I feel someheat on the Mingmen and on the Navel also.

During the retention, I try and bring my intent to the Perineum and the Navel, as if trying to connect both, while doing the Mahabandha (neck, stomach {with the lungs full of air, the stomach lock is more of a slight pulling in of the bellybutton}, and Perineum contraction)

Does anyone have experience in this matter, such as the possile Dangers, how to avoid them, and what to do if something goes wrong?

How are those Heat experiences spoken of in Daoist alchemy?

Thank You

A few years back I did a tibetan form of yoga. One day after a few hours I sat down to do some meditation and I noticed there was a greater deal of pressure in the forehead. When I closed my eyes and got really relaxed, all of the sudden out of nowhere a great flood of incredible white light starting opening up in my head. It was absolutely incredible,I got scared because of the intensity with which this light came in. I immediately opened my eyes and I was a little shaken. My heart was beating and there was a a wave of intense heat in the body. It was moving like waves in my body. Even thought I stopped this light from going any further the heat in the body was persistent. It was not uncomfortable, but it was hot. I have read Gopi Krishna's book on Kundalini awakening and I am 100% sure this is what happened because the light he described in the book was exactly what I experienced. I looked at myself in the mirror and my pupils were very dilated, if you saw my eyes you would have thought I had taken ecstacy or some drug. I did some alternate nostril breathing to try and balance out the energy and it seems that it made the heat subsided and the pupil dilation also came down quite a bit. I managed to get to sleep, when I woke up I could still feel energy moving in the body, but it had decreased quite a bit. Another interesting thing is that I was strangely very aware of everything around me and my eyes were very open. I had read about Kundalini, but I had no idea it would happen this quick. I had only been practising yoga for a year and half give or take a few months and I had only recently started doing seated meditation. I though these kinds of things happen after very prolonged practice. I had read extensively on the dangers of prematurely activating this energy, so I know I should be very careful with this whole situation. What I noticed is that a lot of these experiences started happening once I started to do seated meditation, before I only did the Yantra Yoga practice and I never had something like this happen, sure I felt a good pleasurable heat in the body after practise, but nothing like the heat/light explosion and that incredible light that happened.

Do not play with this, I know first hand the kind of power you are dealing with, It ain't a joke. You need to search for a spiritual master!!

Before you do anything yoga related I advise to read all material by Gopi Krishna.

Edited by digitalyogi
  • Like 1

The coccyx is the firey kundalini...go easy with it!

Yep. Read kundalini awakening first. Make sure that's what you want, then proceed.

Samadhi isn't fun if you're not ready for it.

If unexpected thing happens during your meditation, remember to remain calm and smile, trust God.

• Like 1

A few years back I did a tibetan form of yoga. One day after a few hours I sat down to do some meditation and I noticed there was a greater deal of pressure in the forehead. When I closed my eyes and got really relaxed, all of the sudden out of nowhere a great flood of incredible white light starting opening up in my head. It was absolutely incredible,I got scared because of the intensity with which this light came in. I immediately opened my eyes and I was a little shaken. My heart was beating and there was a a wave of intense heat in the body. It was moving like waves in my body. Even thought I stopped this light from going any further the heat in the body was persistent. It was not uncomfortable, but it was hot. I have read Gopi Krishna's book on Kundalini awakening and I am 100% sure this is what happened because the light he described in the book was exactly what I experienced. I looked at myself in the mirror and my pupils were very dilated, if you saw my eyes you would have thought I had taken ecstacy or some drug. I did some alternate nostril breathing to try and balance out the energy and it seems that it made the heat subsided and the pupil dilation also came down quite a bit. I managed to get to sleep, when I woke up I could still feel energy moving in the body, but it had decreased quite a bit. Another interesting thing is that I was strangely very aware of everything around me and my eyes were very open. I had read about Kundalini, but I had no idea it would happen this quick. I had only been practising yoga for a year and half give or take a few months and I had only recently started doing seated meditation. I though these kinds of things happen after very prolonged practice. I had read extensively on the dangers of prematurely activating this energy, so I know I should be very careful with this whole situation. What I noticed is that a lot of these experiences started happening once I started to do seated meditation, before I only did the Yantra Yoga practice and I never had something like this happen, sure I felt a good pleasurable heat in the body after practise, but nothing like the heat/light explosion and that incredible light that happened.

Do not play with this, I know first hand the kind of power you are dealing with, It ain't a joke. You need to search for a spiritual master!!

Before you do anything yoga related I advise to read all material by Gopi Krishna.

I`ve read a book of Gopi Krishna.

Well... I Know i need a guru, and i know that those things are dangerous, so I hope everything goes alright. I try and comunicate any strange experience here in the forum so that I gain feed back.

One of these days during meditation, afte some rounds of pranayama, I discovered that the visual image that we form of the world is formed actually a little higher than our actual eyes. kind of on our forehead (it seemed like my virtual eyes) and there were two of them... one on the left and one on the right. So I tried to join both "eyes" on one single spot on the center of my forehead - third eye. And I managed to mesh those "centers of vision", where my eye sight takes place, into one only, like a monocle (those things that pirates use to on the se to see far away). Any way. I suddently felt that my whole body was divided into two, and I could mix and compress both of those sides on my spinal column, so that they become one (like th meshing of both eyes). and at this point I could see alot of light on my spinal column.

But i did not burnmyself. i Tried again another day but didn`t manage. It happens all of a sudden and I need to just go with the flow, i don`t really chose, just meditate everyday and sometimes it happens.

About Kundalini.. What I know is the following:

It is good to start practicing Nadi SHodhana Pranayam with breath retention. Probably after increasing the Kumbhaka, puraka and rechaka ratios, you will start developing you Ida Nadi, your left side. which is not a very good experience, because it is very dark, squizofrenic and echoeish, but it is much more safe to start by developing it than the Pingala (Sun Nadi). Thus you start "cleansing up your karmas" but necesseraily with "Ida Nadi" so that you do not burn yourself up, as a safety measure.

Only after you have atained i high ratio on Nadi Shodhana, you should start with Bhastrika Pranayam with retention. If you are with a Guru, maybe there is another Way to reach the same goal faster. But withou a guru, you surely want to always tend to Ida nADI. Repeating.. It is not a pleasent experience to activate Ida Nadi and Explore the World of the Dead while still alive.

On the Hobbit it is said that they had to go into the Dark Woods (Ida Nadi activation) because the Main Passage was blocked (Sushumna)

In Hermetical Alchemy they speak of a Wet Path (Via Umida - Ida activation) and Dry Path (Via Seca - Pingala Activation). The Via Umida is said to be slower, and the Via Seca faster to the ultimate Goal - The Philosophers Stone. but the Via Seca is much, much more dangerous due to the possibility of Explosion of the Great Work.

When Ida Nadi is activated, Qi Spirals. (Alchemical drawings would show flasks with vapours spiraling out)

When Pingala Nadi is activated, Qi Blasts. (Alchemical drawings would show furnaces with great fire and an alchemist handling some aparatus on the blazing fire)....

it is said that sooner or later the alchemist enters the Dry Path (but, i guess, the most time he stays on the via umida, the safer)

----------------------------------------------------------

from what I studied...

If something went wrong and i start to feel as if I am burning i would:

1) try and stay calm

2) try and mesh both sides on the spinal column (Gopi Krishna)

3) Eat nourishing food every 2 1/2 hours (Gopi Krishna - and - Introduction to Tantra: Arthur of Avalon)

4) Avoid contact with Fire (introduction to Tantra: Arthur of Avalon)

5) Avoid being under the Sun and Heat.

And oh, i mastered Khechari mudra now, I think that I read is some place that it is cooling, and reduces the digestive fire also, but i am not quite sure.

----------------------------------------------------------

Oh... Theos Bernard on his Hatha Yoga books mentions that White Light is specifically related to Kundalini, and he was advised to work with other coloured lights before trying to handle Kundalini. The other lights being related to other Tattvas

The coccyx is the firey kundalini...go easy with it!

What does "go easy with it" mean?

like.. stop practicing it?

Yep. Read kundalini awakening first. Make sure that's what you want, then proceed.

Samadhi isn't fun if you're not ready for it.

If unexpected thing happens during your meditation, remember to remain calm and smile, trust God.

thanks for message brother...

lately i have been feeling alot of devotion... i always as for help before my practices and do it trying to feel the Presence around me guiding me....

-----------------------

have you guys heard anything else about handling fire?

I remember reading Mantak Chia's opinion on kundalini, and that it was (something like) too much fire at the expense of the other elements, with higher risk of imbalances occurring.

Edited by Sanzon

hmmm

I just remebered...

I went to a TCM physician today.. and was diagnosed with Heat entering the Liver.

Edited by Marks of Glory

hmmm

I just remebered...

I went to a TCM physician today.. and was diagnosed with Heat entering the Liver.

Liver heat, eh? hopefully you don't smoke, and don't drink coffee, or eat spicey foods, drink beer, and or other alcoholic beverages.

Xiao Yao Wan is a good simple formula (tea pill). Its a harmless suggestion. Not the only one there either. Drinking apersonally formulated herbal concoction is so much better than patent formulas because they go so much deeper and are so much more concentrated with good stuff. Tea Pills (patents) are good too, and can help to a deep extent superficially. Depends on the level of the condition :-)

and to the heating coccyx, when it gets hot, breathe it up the spine, engulfing the whole spine, while intending the breath to actually lower the vibration of the energy so as not to "burn" you out and or cause other imbalances. Intending to trust in that inherent wisdom will always lead one to open up to it and realize snippets of wisdom and teaching more and more.

you may even try inhaling it up the spine, while it penetrates the rest of the body. All the while maintaining focus on its travels p the spine to the crown. It may stop on its own at certain chakras and feel like it disperses, but it doesn't. Its charging up the centers which need to reach higher vibrations. If and when that happens, just maintain concentration and wait for the heat to build up again to do it again. Each time, on its own natural accord, it will go to its necessary chakra and either move through it to the next, or charge it up.

you probably already have such methods. But, You picked my brain..hahaha fun to share...sorry if you have this, done this, or are not interested. Hope it gives you something though :D and if not... NAMASTE!

Edited by 林愛偉
  • Like 2

Liver heat, eh? hopefully you don't smoke, and don't drink coffee, or eat spicey foods, drink beer, and or other alcoholic beverages.

Xiao Yao Wan is a good simple formula (tea pill). Its a harmless suggestion. Not the only one there either. Drinking apersonally formulated herbal concoction is so much better than patent formulas because they go so much deeper and are so much more concentrated with good stuff. Tea Pills (patents) are good too, and can help to a deep extent superficially. Depends on the level of the condition :-)

and to the heating coccyx, when it gets hot, breathe it up the spine, engulfing the whole spine, while intending the breath to actually lower the vibration of the energy so as not to "burn" you out and or cause other imbalances. Intending to trust in that inherent wisdom will always lead one to open up to it and realize snippets of wisdom and teaching more and more.

you may even try inhaling it up the spine, while it penetrates the rest of the body. All the while maintaining focus on its travels p the spine to the crown. It may stop on its own at certain chakras and feel like it disperses, but it doesn't. Its charging up the centers which need to reach higher vibrations. If and when that happens, just maintain concentration and wait for the heat to build up again to do it again. Each time, on its own natural accord, it will go to its necessary chakra and either move through it to the next, or charge it up.

you probably already have such methods. But, You picked my brain..hahaha fun to share...sorry if you have this, done this, or are not interested. Hope it gives you something though :D and if not... NAMASTE!

Thankyou very much my brother. Nice Post!

very helpful post indeed. I have never had a personal Guru, so I am am very "cautious" (in it`s relative concept.. hehe). And like o reveive alot of info.

As for the Heat, the last time it happened, I managed to pull it up with my plain intent (not necessarily sincronizing with breath), up to my Mingmen point.

Funny, after the practice, I felt (Am feeling right now) Heat on my neck, more especifically the right side, it is not bothering me, and it is not a violent heat. a superficial and tangible heat on my skin (by tangible I mean that it is not like the heat generated by sports or running, but rather like dipping my hand into Hot water.)

May I ask you about your experiences with heat?

The practices that generated them?

the sources from which you gathered your info?

Thank you!

May I ask you about your experiences with heat?

The practices that generated them?

the sources from which you gathered your info?

Thank you!

:-)

Is is a very general sensation that arises with applied concentration. Meaning when there is enough concentration, heat will be a result. This is Yang Qi, in other words. The body generally will go through a heating and cooling state where one will feel cool at first, then hot, and then cool again. It will pass.

In terms of raising it from the root chakra, well, if there is enough concentration power focused, it will stimulate that root energy and empower it to rise naturally. Of course, naturally means that the intent is to have it rise, while the nature of heat rises.

There are many practices which can do this. Breathing to the abdomen, while applying concentration at specific areas, such as root chakra, 2nd chakra, so on and so forth...will cause there to be heat, because focusing on one point for a long time raises the vibration of that area, which eventually becomes high enough to function according to its nature.

my sources are personal experience. I began learning at 8yrs old, and still am till this day. Cultivation never stops until it does.

I can not quote people, or even living teachers of mine because they don't live any longer. I will just say, if what I say makes sense, and offers you a method to go forward, by all means utilize it, if not, throw it away.

The reason is simple, only with the one's you feel connected with will determine the usefulness of their advices for you personally.

Also, if I didn't try the method and see a benefit in a general manner, I wouldn't offer it :P

Peace and Blessings,

Lin

Funny, after the practice, I felt (Am feeling right now) Heat on my neck, more especifically the right side, it is not bothering me, and it is not a violent heat. a superficial and tangible heat on my skin (by tangible I mean that it is not like the heat generated by sports or running, but rather like dipping my hand into Hot water.)

Did you try the method I offered?

If you did, this is the manner in which I was stating. Its not going to be a burning heat, just a warmth upon the body. In this way, the sensation will not deter your application of concentration.

Did you try the method I offered?

If you did, this is the manner in which I was stating. Its not going to be a burning heat, just a warmth upon the body. In this way, the sensation will not deter your application of concentration.

I am visiting my parents in their town so stopped the practice for 3 days, I will inform you on another occasion.

• Like 1

Gunk coming from the mind via internal organs. A lot of cleansing you must go through. Best of luck! :)

hmm I really wnted to know mare about the mechanics behind this.

apreciated

I want to add to this topic a new exeprience with heat that I had just a few days ago.

Interesting enough it had nothign to do with Pranayama nd kumbhaka, and happened during a Qigong practice.

It was during some Kidney Sterngthening Exercices from Shou Yu Liang's Qigong empowernment book, particularly the girdle vessel circulation, where I focused on my lower dantien, then while exhaling and contracting my perineum, i brought the Qi down to the hui-yin, then up to the mingmen, then round the girdle vessel to my navel, and when I inhale I would bring my Qi down from my navel to my Dantien, repeating 21 times.

After some rounds I started feeling a Heat sensation on my Navel, the Heat spreaded all over the navel area as I continues the exercice, then it came down to my Huiyin and up my spine. I was going to try and complete the microcosmic circulation with it, but it got stuck in an obstrucion in the height more or less of the mingmen, where it stopped rising and the sensation of heat soon dimineshed and dispersed. I felt some pain on the obstruction.

very interesting experience.

On the next day I noticed a certain lightness on my body and mood, my I also noticed that beneath my eyes were blackish coloured, as if i'd been punched on the eye socket. My aunt noticed it particularly and said that it looked that I had painted it black. Any ways, I know that on Japanese Acupuncture face-reading, this region is associated with the Kidneys, so I guess that I forced a little bit of my Kidneys on that practice, I don't know if it was because of the practice, or because of the blockage (on the region of the Mingmen). Maybe it happened due to a desobstruction. Don't know.

Anyone?

MoG hello,

I read all written till here. Thank you for all writer friends please share all you knowledge more with us.

MoG, my mind is mixed with your messages. I try to explain why;

What is your primary practice/practices?

Which type of practices you are doing daily?

How many different practices you are doing in short times?

Which traditions that you are practicin? Like qi gong/ yogic etc.

Why I'm asking them because you are using a mixture and in my opinion you have to give up some of them. We all have to use simple ways. One by one. After we finished one practice we can go up another one. And each has to take some time to give right results.

In your case, you wrote different types of happenings before and this topic. We have a good election for everything. If anything happends again and again on each practice we can see that we are on wrong way. If nothing happens in every practice, we again see that we are in wrong way. But if we saw anything happened in some practices and in some not we can say that we are groving. We have some results in this way.

1st rule be patient. Just try and try. Don't matter what is going on. Just practice. After the 100 days you have to see some effects. Before 100 days of any practice you can only see (this is not a rule just an opinion but proved by first hand experiences) mostly illusions. Like body feelings, like visions or hearing sounds etc. Don't mind on these things before 100 days after. And you keep them on your mind which I wrote in this paragraph after answer my questions first.

With my all good wishes.
Aziz

I've heard that heat can represent an area energy is running through, the more it heats up the more energy that is being run through and eventually it calms down once the "wires" open up to allow easy and efficient passage. It could also be that you need to stretch your lower spine and legs, or even that you need to reconnect to that area, and the surrounding areas to ensure the energy isn't blocked. What do you think it is?

MoG hello,

I read all written till here. Thank you for all writer friends please share all you knowledge more with us.

MoG, my mind is mixed with your messages. I try to explain why;

What is your primary practice/practices?

Which type of practices you are doing daily?

How many different practices you are doing in short times?

Which traditions that you are practicin? Like qi gong/ yogic etc.

Why I'm asking them because you are using a mixture and in my opinion you have to give up some of them. We all have to use simple ways. One by one. After we finished one practice we can go up another one. And each has to take some time to give right results.

In your case, you wrote different types of happenings before and this topic. We have a good election for everything. If anything happends again and again on each practice we can see that we are on wrong way. If nothing happens in every practice, we again see that we are in wrong way. But if we saw anything happened in some practices and in some not we can say that we are groving. We have some results in this way.

1st rule be patient. Just try and try. Don't matter what is going on. Just practice. After the 100 days you have to see some effects. Before 100 days of any practice you can only see (this is not a rule just an opinion but proved by first hand experiences) mostly illusions. Like body feelings, like visions or hearing sounds etc. Don't mind on these things before 100 days after. And you keep them on your mind which I wrote in this paragraph after answer my questions first.

With my all good wishes.

Aziz

Ok Aziz, Thnks for the post, i will answer your questions...

I started practicing Yoga daily and seriously about three to four years ago, when I was all fucked up drinking, smoking and using alot of psychedelics.

Since then my priority was Yoga practices, practicing everyday, following Swami Satyananda's book on Tantra and Kriya, one pace at a time and really giving 100 % effort on the pranayama practices. I started practicing only on the mornings, for about 30 an hour first, and slowly increasing to about 3 hours to even 4 if I have time (todays practice), always in the morning.

The yoguic practices, praticularly the Pranayama practices really were opening up some energies within me, but in a rather disordered manner, I spent alot of time kinda insane, having allucinations, feeling strange things, not understanding what was happening. It was when I started feeling energy around me, and it's interaction with people. I guess that the great problem of Pranayama is knowing how to direct the energy, i mean, it really transforms Jing into Qi, but the Qi would stay spread out around my body, interacting with people, and I would loose my body awarness and stay spaced out for months in a row.

About one year ago I started incorporaing some Taoist practices. My general rule was: Stick to the Yoga practices in the morning, and experiment whatever you want in the evening. so that I did not get lost trying alot of practices, which would ultimately mess up with the whole practice buisness.

Today I am living in a farm for some months, and increasing my practice period which is very stable now.

On the mornings I still practice my Yoga techniques, starting with Asanas, including increasing the Sirsasana headstand pose. and increasing Uddiiyana Bandha practice Then passing on to Bhastrika Pranayama (I only started practicing this one after about 3 years of Nadi Shodhana) and Nadi Shodhana if both my nostrils are opened. Then I do the first 4 or 5 Kriyas of the Swami Satyananda tradition, to chanellize the energy generated during the pranayamas.

I have a light breakfast and after i compeltely digested the food I start my afternoon practice of Hatha yoga again, this time only practicing the Headstand Sirsasana and the Uddiyana Bandhas repetitive contraction, following Bhastrika Pranayama and Nadi Shodhana if the weather is not too hot.

This ends my yoguic practices for the day.

On the afternoon I do one round of the 24 simplified Taichi and one round of the 48 movements taichi from Shouyu-Liang's tradition,

and at night my Qigong practices from Shou Yu Liang's tradition also. Basically Ba Duan Jin to warm up and get the Qi flowing, then the relaxation thechniques and Qi permeating technique, then the Kidney Strengthening Qigong and finally ending with some Zhan Zhuang.

That answers you questions... ; )

about mixing the practices, I really feel comfortable with it, and believe that it actually helps me. The yoguic practices, especially the breath retention ones are more agressive to my body, but are very good for generating energy, i like them. I feel that the night practices and the taichi kind of balances out any execssive and irregular energy pattern that was originated in the yoguic practices and are very important to my whole sadhana bringing the energy more in contact with my body and directing them.

If I were older and had a more stressed up body, i certainly wouldn't practice the Hatha yoga pranayamas as intenselly as I do.

I believe that energetic mechanisms are universal, so it really is possible to dialogue in between different traditions..

Gunk moves when your mind does, it has to go somewhere...so the more you have the thicker it is and easily stagnates. We have a physical body in this plane, this makes things a little bit trickier. Moving practice should become 80% of your training in order to remove stagnation for good. Don't expect quick results, change will occur overtime with consistent training and a disciplined lifestyle.

Edited:

I forgot to mention that the middle tantien and the coccyx are the two most important areas of the physical body to work on in terms of blockages. Take a look at the shape of the latter and you'll understand why IMA focuses so much in that area when doing energetic release (opening the kua & dang work):

75928743.jpg

Looks like a big receptacle, doesn't it? Blockages naturally accumulate in that area, it's like what you find beneath a waterfall: lots of sedimentary deposits sitting at the bottom.

Is taichi good for moving practice? or should I incorporate the walking qigong on my night practice?

I've heard that heat can represent an area energy is running through, the more it heats up the more energy that is being run through and eventually it calms down once the "wires" open up to allow easy and efficient passage. It could also be that you need to stretch your lower spine and legs, or even that you need to reconnect to that area, and the surrounding areas to ensure the energy isn't blocked. What do you think it is?

hmm I have heard about the heat being generated because of "friction" of impurities also. It is possible to be due to that, but also... the navel area is traditionally associated with fire, so the Qi of that region maybe of fire like qualities even after the organism is unblocked. I believe that in my case it could be a misxture of both, since it is the first time that I felt such a sensation (hot) going through that area....

I post my experiences here to make sure with more experienced practitioners and to share with general public.

nei_jing_tu_color.jpg

• Like 1

MoG thank you for answer.

I like your practice style. But maybe you are make less program daily :P

I'm practicin a bit less.

If I'm in a good mood, I practice daily 2 times Yi Jin Jing of Da Mo Pai. If not I YJJ is off some days.

My daily practices are 2 times daily Tummo breathing and Da Mo Pai Nei Gong Step 1. Also add 40min aprox maybe sometimes like 1 hour sitting meditation.

And in some times but not so often, Xing Shen Zhuang Fa and Xing Gong Ba Gua. How long they takes depends to my mood. I do XSZF 1 hour each set. Ba Gua takes again like 1 hour. Which forms in Ba Gua; Monkey, Bear, Crane, Snake, Walking on Clouds, Deer,

Each one of them works on defferent parts as you see. One practice for body, one for energy, one for enlightment (most important for me).

I don't need more. I don't wanna become an immortal.

In you case mind effects come normal. Don't mind generally. They all come and go. Gerard wrote perfect. Do not wait signs in a short moment.

And last question :D

Is there anyone knows detailed what is pictured on this paint?

nei_jing_tu_color.jpg