i am

This Forum Is Great

:)

It might just be because I've had a couple beers, but I've been thinking about this for awhile.

I have other interests, obviously, and I'm on a few other forums. Some of them have good, thick-skinned people, but more often than not, it takes nothing at all to start an argument; to put someone on the defensive.

I've seen more people "turn the other cheek", ignore insults, even thank someone for putting them in their place, on this site than anywhere on the internet or real life.

Maybe it's because I had a brother who was nice enough to attack my self esteem at every chance he got, but criticism is fine with me. If there's something you don't like about me, I want to know it. It's something I likely could change, and never realized about myself. Or, after consideration, I realize "nope, that's just the way I am, deal with it". But it doesn't hurt me or my self image to find out annoying, bad, or similar things about my personality.

Not everyone is like this...in real life and on internet forums. I've started more arguments than I care to remember on other forums.

Here, I think it would be hard to get into a real argument. I've found more people, for whatever reason and because of whatever life experiences, who just take what people say, even when they're confrontational, rude, or even insulting, and just go with it. Calmly make a counter-argument, or even agree and say "hey thanks for pointing that out", than I have anywhere on the internet or in my daily life.

I've seen other people make, and made myself so many comments that could and would cause a blowup in so many other situations, and they just get taken as what they are and the conversation continues, here.

Anyways, it's really nice. I've made a lot of comments in life and on other sites, and I feel like I have to "go into hiding" for a while, or that I'm a trouble maker or instigator. People seem to get it here.

I've learned in life that just because I can take it, doesn't mean other people can. Just because you can tell me, to my face, exactly what you think of me, and it's cool, doesn't mean I can do that to other people...It's a lesson it's taken me a while to learn. But it seems like people here can more or less tell when there's respect behind it or not, and react appropriately.

So thanks for that.

• Like 12

i love it here too, and i also find that it is a lot more civil here than on other forums

but the taobums form of arguing seems to be less of the mudslinging insult type and more of the "we both made our points but i am going to continue to restate mine until you go away" type

love you guys and gals :)

edit - lol you say you had a couple beers and this post is my 211th

Edited by Flolfolil
  • Like 3

:)

It might just be because I've had a couple beers, but I've been thinking about this for awhile.

I have other interests, obviously, and I'm on a few other forums. Some of them have good, thick-skinned people, but more often than not, it takes nothing at all to start an argument; to put someone on the defensive.

I've seen more people "turn the other cheek", ignore insults, even thank someone for putting them in their place, on this site than anywhere on the internet or real life.

Maybe it's because I had a brother who was nice enough to attack my self esteem at every chance he got, but criticism is fine with me. If there's something you don't like about me, I want to know it. It's something I likely could change, and never realized about myself. Or, after consideration, I realize "nope, that's just the way I am, deal with it". But it doesn't hurt me or my self image to find out annoying, bad, or similar things about my personality.

Not everyone is like this...in real life and on internet forums. I've started more arguments than I care to remember on other forums.

Here, I think it would be hard to get into a real argument. I've found more people, for whatever reason and because of whatever life experiences, who just take what people say, even when they're confrontational, rude, or even insulting, and just go with it. Calmly make a counter-argument, or even agree and say "hey thanks for pointing that out", than I have anywhere on the internet or in my daily life.

I've seen other people make, and made myself so many comments that could and would cause a blowup in so many other situations, and they just get taken as what they are and the conversation continues, here.

Anyways, it's really nice. I've made a lot of comments in life and on other sites, and I feel like I have to "go into hiding" for a while, or that I'm a trouble maker or instigator. People seem to get it here.

I've learned in life that just because I can take it, doesn't mean other people can. Just because you can tell me, to my face, exactly what you think of me, and it's cool, doesn't mean I can do that to other people...It's a lesson it's taken me a while to learn. But it seems like people here can more or less tell when there's respect behind it or not, and react appropriately.

So thanks for that.

I disagree.

People on this forum, more than make up for it, in sniveling passive-aggression.

• Like 1

The taobums definitely isn't all sun shine and roses. But there a lot great bums on here whom know how to "ward off and roll back" to steal a Tai chi term....and at the same time share their well earned "pearls and gems" quite freely. I am still here posting and contributing and am glad it is so. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldGreen
  • Like 2

Some people, no? Sniveling passive-aggression?

On that note, I do try to stay away from some the Buddhist discussions. :lol: And if I don't stay away from those discussions, I simply stay out of those discussions. :)

Correction: When I'm being aggressive or being a dick, I don't hide it. I'm up front about it ;)

'Butt hurt,' can be substituted for sniveling.

P.S. Your post just proved my point. Good day!!

Some people, no? Sniveling passive-aggression?

On that note, I do try to stay away from some the Buddhist discussions. :lol: And if I don't stay away from those discussions, I simply stay out of those discussions. :)

Hey leave them Buddhist alone :) ....

the buddhist propensity for nitpicking and starting arguments is well known... if i look back at all the arguments i have seen on this forum, i think most of them involved buddhism... 2nd most is religion in general (vs taoism). after than, nobody really seems to get up in a knot about much except general incompetency or thread derailment. well since mak sin ti left and the kunlun lizard people stopped popping up in discussion anyway lol

as a buddhist who sees the value of organized religion, i am not proclaiming innocence, but its interesting to see the general level of accord and harmony that daoists share. i appreciate it all the time, and i talk pretty freely here, as compared to my 0 posts on dharmawheel and esangha combined. i have learned more about buddhism there of course, but thats not what we're talking about. recently i posted on vajracakra, and got some helpful feedback on pursuing the dzogchen path... but mostly i stay away from all the verbosity, infighting, and know-it-all-ism that buddhists seem to swim in.

i think its because there are so many schools of buddhism with differing methods and views, while most daoism isnt lineage based, so there is just lao and chuang and the others who all teach general harmony and virtue. hmmm

im still a buddhist because it makes total sense to me as a path to freedom, while daoism is more for my energetic and sexual practices, and a nice augmentation to my buddhist path... but anyway i really appreciate this forum too, i have met some great people here, and really appreciate a chance to talk about things where there is at least a general attitude of tolerance and harmony.

• Like 3

Yeah there's some passive agressiveness here, as with everywhere in life. It's still better here that any other forum I've lurked on or participated in.

kunlun lizard people? fuck! and here i thought i was feeling good and making progress and i am really practicing illuminati teachings that will turn me into a lizard

back to qigong it is then

if i look back at all the arguments i have seen on this forum, i think most of them involved buddhism.... where there is at least a general attitude of tolerance and harmony.

If you look back at all those arguments, it was caused by people who don't like what Buddhism actually teaches (or are generally ignorant of what it teaches.)

As for the second part: It's all tolerance and harmony as long you don't mention anatta, dependent origination/emptiness or don't buy into the Hindu/New Age dogma of all religions/paths "leading to the same thing! Whooo!"

• Like 1

If you look back at all those arguments, it was caused by people who don't like what Buddhism actually teaches (or are generally ignorant of what it teaches.)

It takes two people to have an argument...

• Like 1

kunlun lizard people? fuck! and here i thought i was feeling good and making progress and i am really practicing illuminati teachings that will turn me into a lizard

back to qigong it is then

Been a while since I read anything on the forum about them.

Been a while since I read anything on the forum about them.

wait has this actually been brought up before?? can i get a link to a thread about this? lmao

It takes two people to have an argument...

True, but most of the time the vitriol was coming from the side of those, who disagreed with what Buddhism taught.

wait has this actually been brought up before?? can i get a link to a thread about this? lmao

Do a search on Kunlun. I'm pretty intrigued by it as a practice and I have the book. I haven't met Max or Jenny.

i have read just about every thread on kunlun i could find, and this one is the only one that comes up when i combine that keyword with lizard

Make sure that you're searching the entire forum, and not only searching this thread. Look just to the left of the green magnifying glass...

Edited by turtle shell